Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #61
gravityisnotmyfriend
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
come on now, you know very well that crazy hillbillies with 4th grade educations know more about tires than tire engineers that work for billion dollar tire companies. are you stupid or what?
Unsubstantiated, blatant, ignorance - this guy has it.
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #62
drrider1
just running amuck

Oddometer: 387
never ran a CT, but followed a couple of friends who do. Both ride cruiser type bikes, both ride more aggressively than I would on that type bike; I was amazed at how much rubber was on the road as they eroded vast areas of their floor boards and other chrome parts. Both report 35k plus miles on a tire.
drrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #63
mrphotoman
Banned

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
I'm using a 195/55R16 Dunlop Winter Sport run flat snow tire. 38 psi

Lol that road worker sure is amazed that someone would drive a huge old 1950's Cadillac in the mud.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #64
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
Lol that road worker sure is amazed that someone would drive a huge old 1950's Cadillac in the mud.
I think he was amazed that someone would ride a Victory Vision on the Dalton Highway.

Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #65
Bstrom06
Go Buckeyes

Oddometer: 19
Many like me are just never going to be convinced of using a CT over a motorcycle tire, but do whatever flips your switch and save you lots of money.

John Adams
Bstrom06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #66
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
I guess some people never get past 5th grade levels when it comes to insults.
Even a 5th grader is smart enough to figure out what the engineers get paid the big bucks for... A single track vehicle that leans to turn performs far better when it is NOT operating on a flat surfaced tire.

Rudimentary common sense stuff. If you are unable to grasp simple truth then yes... "Dumb" (lacking intelligence or good judgment; stupid; dull-witted) is a fair description. If you choose to take it as an insult that is on you.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #67
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,390
Quote:
Unsubstantiated, blatant, ignorance - this guy has it.
From the King of ignorance. Well played.

Please share why YOU think the builder of your cruiser didn't equip your bike with a car tire from the get go.

And then please share that if it is such a fine performing idea then why don't you run a CT on the front as well?

You're only half dumb?
Old 11-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #68
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
This same flawed logic shows up in every darkside discussion. It's only a matter of time before some sheep bleats out the pitiful, "Why aren't race bikes using car tires?"

It is such a stupid arguement. I can only put tires on my motorcycle that motorcycle racers put on theirs? What kind of logic is that?

Easy to see you get all bent out of shape over this discussion and need to start name calling to help pacify your feelings
however if the" same logic shows up every time this topic comes up"
it's because it's valid and not your self proclaimed "flawed"

I ride a cruiser. I don't race in Moto-GP. Why is it so difficult to understand that my needs in tires are different then the needs of a race bike?
the OP wasn't talking about you specifically so why turn the thread into an about you defensive stance ? it's great that it works for your style

Quote:
Why is it in the year 2013 I am seeing & hearing of more m/c with car tires on the rear?

Can someone explain it?
This is why I won't CT a street bike myself

Joexr? ZMan? What tires are you running on your bikes? Super gummy, 500 mile, racing slicks I assume?
as a matter of fact for my street bikes I always used a soft compound tire
and didn't let $ dictate safety for My type of riding

but it wasn't a cruiser so maybe this thread needed to be bike style specific ?
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #69
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,879
ig·no·rance
ˈignərəns/
noun
noun: ignorance
lack of knowledge or information.
"he acted in ignorance of basic procedures"
synonyms:incomprehension of, unawareness of, unconsciousness of, unfamiliarity with, inexperience with, lack of knowledge about, lack of information about; informalcluelessness about
"a statement that shows a complete ignorance of the regulations"

lack of knowledge, lack of education, unenlightenment, illiteracy;
lack of intelligence, stupidity, foolishness, idiocy
"both ignorance and poverty contribute to the growing problem of forced child labor"

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #70
gstevenson
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Randyo, I ventured to the darkside purely as an experiment as well.

I had read about the darkside and every time the subject comes up, you get two very different sides. There's the people that have tried it and love it and then there's the people that condemn it as the worst possible thing in the world to do. They won't try it and insult anyone who has the gall to put a car tire on a motorcycle.

Personally, I thought it would handle like ass. I really thought it was a bad idea. But, then why are there so many people in favor of it? Out of all my research, I only ever found one person that tried it and decided it wasn't for him.

So, being of a scientific mind and experimental nature, I decided that when my MC tire wore out, I'd try it. I picked up a nail in the road about 3 months ago and decided it was time.

I mounted a car tire to my bike, and went out on a test ride with the intentions of creating my own opinion and of being the informed voice to tell all those darksiders how bad of an idea it was. I could test it myself and prove to them how much the handling was negatively affected. I was will to risk $70 on a tire for an informed opinion knowing full well that I would likely take it right back off and pony up the $200 for a "real" tire.

I failed. I couldn't prove the darksiders wrong. The handling was by and large unchanged. Really, there was no real difference that I could feel. I've been riding motorcycles for 30 years. I've had this one for the last 6 years and know it well. There really was nothing to get used to. The bike handles like a bike.

The only real differences were all good ones. Riding on gravel, for some reason, was drastically improved. I can't explain it, but it feels so much more secure. My bike used to feel sketchy on gravel roads, but now I'm perfectly comfortable at 60 mph and it's alot of fun powersliding around corners.

Traction on the rear tire is greatly increased - in all situations. I expected straight line acceleration and braking to be better - and it is. But, even hard acceleration out of the corners is better. I used to be able to break the back end loose and step it out a little. But, it stays planted now. Which is even more impressive considering that the tire is a little smaller in diameter, so the bike is geared lower. If the traction were the same, it'd be even easier to break the tire loose.

I really don't see any reason to go back to a motorcycle tire on the back of my cruiser. My lean angle is limited by hard parts way before it is limited by the tire - even with me hanging way off to the inside.

I know Dakez prides himself on coining the term "dumbsider". And if that's a point of pride for him, he can relish in it. Personally, I think it's about the laziest way to insult someone. Though, I feel the same way about those who think it's clever to use words like Redumblican or Obummer. I guess some people never get past 5th grade levels when it comes to insults.
I had the same experience. I ride 2 up a lot of the time on a GL1800 touring bike. We had a couple of standard Motorcycle tires delaminate and one go flat due to a valve issue...leaving us on the side of the highway. Reading up on many many riders' experience, and only one or two who said they didn't like it and came back made me curious. Over 1000 who took the time to register their conversion...and none reporting an issue made me feel safe with the choice. After all, I personally had 2 regular tires fail. Obviously I can't count the valve failure against the mc tire, but switching to a run flat car tire helps that situation too.

Anyway, I went with a Michelin Alpin PA3. It is a big improvement. No noticeable difference in handling. The same or better traction in all conditions. Better in wet or gravel. And the tires last much longer. What is not to like?

I do think it matters which ct you go to though. Some probably don't handle the same as a motorcycle tire.

I have let a few skeptics try my bike. Of the three individuals, one said he noticed a need for a bit more push in steering, but I wonder if he would have noticed that if he wasn't fully concentrating on looking for differences. Hard to say. The other two...both skeptics...said there was no difference and one was a trainer trying it out in controlled parking lot manoeuvres trying to find limits in turns etc. Hey, you can't lean past metal scraping.

I won't be going back unless and until there is a better motorcycle tire out there. I just don't believe manufacturers have put the same effort into mc tires that they have into car tires. It's not a religion with me nor is about saving money. I am just going to go with the best for safety and for handling.
gstevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:09 AM   #71
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,033
For cruisers or motorized couches like Goldwing it could work. They can't really corner hard anyway. And in case of a crash the possible problem with insurance is good to keep in mind (at least in the EU, though the Land of the Free might be different).
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #72
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
Once you get used to more pressure being needed to turn in (and pressure maintained through the turn), it's no problem at all.
Well, that was a glimmer of honesty from a car tire guy. The problem with your statement is this. It's not "no problem at all." You're giving a perfect description of a bike that handles like crap due to a squared-off rear tire. You say I've never tried a car tire. That's true, but I've tried a squared off rear and I don't like it. I don't like it because the bike handles like crap. It's hard to turn, then you have to continuously apply pressure to keep it turning.

The car tire guys woudl have a little credibility if they were to say, "Sure it handles like ass, but I spend most of my time on the interstate so it's no big deal." That's a legitimate stance on the issue. But they can't do that. Instead we're treated to wild tales of tearing up the Dragon, passing sportbikes, and generally being awesome. Sorry, it invites a little ridicule.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #73
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I'm waiting for Moto-GP to discover the superior benefits of car tires on bikes. I can see it now , both rear AND front car tires. I guess they'll catch up eventually.
Do you not have any idea how frickin stupid you appear?
Seriously.... How many times have you been pulled aside and slapped upside the head?
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #74
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Even a 5th grader is smart enough to figure out what the engineers get paid the big bucks for... A single track vehicle that leans to turn performs far better when it is NOT operating on a flat surfaced tire.

Rudimentary common sense stuff. If you are unable to grasp simple truth then yes... "Dumb" (lacking intelligence or good judgment; stupid; dull-witted) is a fair description. If you choose to take it as an insult that is on you.
Bravo!
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #75
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
From the King of ignorance. Well played.

Please share why YOU think the builder of your cruiser didn't equip your bike with a car tire from the get go.

And then please share that if it is such a fine performing idea then why don't you run a CT on the front as well?

You're only half dumb?
Again!
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote