Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #76
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Even a 5th grader is smart enough to figure out what the engineers get paid the big bucks for... A single track vehicle that leans to turn performs far better when it is NOT operating on a flat surfaced tire.

Rudimentary common sense stuff. If you are unable to grasp simple truth then yes... "Dumb" (lacking intelligence or good judgment; stupid; dull-witted) is a fair description. If you choose to take it as an insult that is on you.
Rudimentary common sense is not to listen to someone who speaks about something of which they have no knowledge.

If you choose to take that as an insult, you're smarter than you sound.
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #77
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
Bravo!
Abbott had Costello...
Dean had Jerry...
Moe had Larry...

Dakez has OCF
(sounds like some kind of disorder doesn't it)

Red9 screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 07:28 AM
Old 11-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #78
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Even a 5th grader is smart enough to figure out what the engineers get paid the big bucks for... A single track vehicle that leans to turn performs far better when it is NOT operating on a flat surfaced tire.

Rudimentary common sense stuff. If you are unable to grasp simple truth then yes... "Dumb" (lacking intelligence or good judgment; stupid; dull-witted) is a fair description. If you choose to take it as an insult that is on you.
Come on now,it is a C O N S P I R A C Y!!!!!!!! They do not want the secret out that a car tire handles better than a motorcycle tire on a motorcycle. Soon black silent helicopters will show up at their homes and they will disappear along with these threads that reveal the secret about car tires.

mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #79
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 1,027
I don't sell tires so I really don't care what others use.

Since I started using a Dunlop Winter Sport I have traveled 34,000 miles and based on that experience my next tire will be another Winter Sport.

What I like most about the tire is the wet weather traction, I would buy this tire even if it cost twice as much as a "motorcycle" tire.

With the Winter Sport I have traveled from Milwaukee to Key West, FL to Prudhoe Bay, AK (rain every day!) and also that year a ride around Lake Michigan and a trip to Spirit Lake, IA.

This year I rode to Mount Evens, Death Valley, a ride through Independence Pass and then Peaks Peak and then the next month a ride to Nova Scotia and a ride around the Cabot Trail.
That trip also included a few stops at Prince Edwards Island and Acadia N. P.
The next month I did a 1000 mile one day ride around Wisconsin.

A lot of different road and weather conditions and again based on that experience my next tire will be a Winter Sport.

Rollin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #80
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
... Instead we're treated to wild tales of tearing up the Dragon, passing sportbikes, and generally being awesome....
Quotes please
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #81
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

snow tires handle like shit on a car, I can only imagine how shitty they make a bike handle let alone the crippling effect of the flat profile of the car tire. I guess when you can't ride worth a shit you do not notice the crippling effects of the car tire or even worse the snow car tire. All those sipes and deep tread means lots and lots of squirming.

Some people think it is a good idea to eat lead paint chips
Some people think it is a good idea to jump off a bridge because they may be able to fly if they flap their arms hard enough
Some people think it is a good idea to pour gas all over themselves and light a match in the name of their crazy religion
Some people think car tires work great on motorcycles
Some people think it is ok to smoke while they hack up phlem and cough all the time
Some people wonder if it is a good idea to eat broken glass
Some people think it is okay to eat fast food every day, weigh 300lbs and that it is healthy while they sweat and breathe hard walking to the kitchen
Some people think it steals their soul if someone takes a photo of them
Some people think the government is out to get them

All the above people are about equal on the dumb scale and no amount of logical reasoning will convince them otherwise so you may as well have fun with it and laugh at their stupidity.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #82
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Quotes please
"Instead we're treated to wild tales of tearing up the Dragon, passing sportbikes, and generally being awesome ..."

Anything else I can help you with?

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #83
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
snow tires handle like shit on a car, I can only imagine how shitty they make a bike handle let alone the crippling effect of the flat profile of the car tire. I guess when you can't ride worth a shit you do not notice the crippling effects of the car tire or even worse the snow car tire. All those sipes and deep tread means lots and lots of squirming.

Some people think it is a good idea to eat lead paint chips
Some people think it is a good idea to jump off a bridge because they may be able to fly if they flap their arms hard enough
Some people think it is a good idea to pour gas all over themselves and light a match in the name of their crazy religion
Some people think car tires work great on motorcycles
Some people think it is ok to smoke while they hack up phlem and cough all the time
Some people wonder if it is a good idea to eat broken glass
Some people think it is okay to eat fast food every day, weigh 300lbs and that it is healthy while they sweat and breathe hard walking to the kitchen
Some people think it steals their soul if someone takes a photo of them
Some people think the government is out to get them

All the above people are about equal on the dumb scale and no amount of logical reasoning will convince them otherwise so you may as well have fun with it and laugh at their stupidity.
Wow...

I'm not even in the Darkside camp and I can't understand why you're taking it so personnal that you're blowing a fuse talking about it.

Need medication?

What's so difference between "All those sipes and deep tread" of a winter tire and a, let's say, a bike tire like the TKC?
Old 11-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #84
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Well, that was a glimmer of honesty from a car tire guy. The problem with your statement is this. It's not "no problem at all." You're giving a perfect description of a bike that handles like crap due to a squared-off rear tire. You say I've never tried a car tire. That's true, but I've tried a squared off rear and I don't like it. I don't like it because the bike handles like crap. It's hard to turn, then you have to continuously apply pressure to keep it turning.

The car tire guys woudl have a little credibility if they were to say, "Sure it handles like ass, but I spend most of my time on the interstate so it's no big deal." That's a legitimate stance on the issue. But they can't do that. Instead we're treated to wild tales of tearing up the Dragon, passing sportbikes, and generally being awesome. Sorry, it invites a little ridicule.

The CT guy's are the ones who sound like idiots here. Plain & simple.
You CT guy's will say....."you're afraid of thing something new". I'll say..........."BULLSHIT"! Back when I started road-racing my '74 Ducati 750 Sport, it came with leading axle forks. Being 18, I thought....hmmm, if I shorten up the wheelbase by turning the fork legs around I should be able to turn in quicker. I tried it, handled like shit, put it back and thought.......if it was going to be so much better, why didn't Ducati put them like that in the first place? But them I tried 2" longer shocks, with much better results. Why didn't Ducati do that I thought.
Almost 40 years later, I'm not afraid to try something new, if it makes sense. A CT on a bike DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. For you guy's to say it turns just fine with the CT makes you sound like a retard. It can't, won't and will never handle as well as with a bike tire. Christ, when I bought the used ZRX that I have now, when I took it for the first short test ride before handing over the $$$$, I thought the steering head bearings were shot the thing felt soooo bad. Reason, square rear tire, as in flat in the middle, sort of like a..........................................CAR TIRE. Front tire was fine. Put on a set of Michelin 2 CT's (not as in car tire), without changing anything else, and the bike was as it should be.
If all you're doing is IBA stuff and piling up thousands of highway miles, maybe a CT makes sense, but for people doing "real world" riding, a CT makes ZERO sense. Just like the "it handles like any other bike" makes zero sense.

CW
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #85
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

lmao, these car tire threads are more entertaining than going to a comedy club.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #86
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,558
I can understand the good mileage on a cruiser or a 'Wing, ridden mostly on straight roads, and cornering in a relaxed way. Sure the big, heavy tourers eat up tyres, and a MC tyre's round profile makes it very hard to build long lasting tyres.

but the claim that a CT will match any sportier tyre on a bike, that's able to corner more aggressively, is plain ridiculous. I'd like to see someone try that comparo with the same bike, ridden by an advanced rider.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #87
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post

The CT guy's are the ones who sound like idiots here. Plain & simple.
You CT guy's will say....."you're afraid of thing something new". I'll say..........."BULLSHIT"! Back when I started road-racing my '74 Ducati 750 Sport, it came with leading axle forks. Being 18, I thought....hmmm, if I shorten up the wheelbase by turning the fork legs around I should be able to turn in quicker. I tried it, handled like shit, put it back and thought.......if it was going to be so much better, why didn't Ducati put them like that in the first place? But them I tried 2" longer shocks, with much better results. Why didn't Ducati do that I thought.
Almost 40 years later, I'm not afraid to try something new, if it makes sense. A CT on a bike DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. For you guy's to say it turns just fine with the CT makes you sound like a retard. It can't, won't and will never handle as well as with a bike tire. Christ, when I bought the used ZRX that I have now, when I took it for the first short test ride before handing over the $$$$, I thought the steering head bearings were shot the thing felt soooo bad. Reason, square rear tire, as in flat in the middle, sort of like a..........................................CAR TIRE. Front tire was fine. Put on a set of Michelin 2 CT's (not as in car tire), without changing anything else, and the bike was as it should be.
If all you're doing is IBA stuff and piling up thousands of highway miles, maybe a CT makes sense, but for people doing "real world" riding, a CT makes ZERO sense. Just like the "it handles like any other bike" makes zero sense.

CW

who the fuck are you arguing with?
You big ole bad motorcycle guru you...

Don't break your Prozac in half next time...

Red9 screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 09:28 AM
Old 11-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #88
air-cooled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Luckily Germans take their tires seriously. Luckily they do test tires on cars and surprisingly snow this are no good above 10C. They are really bad when there tread is Half way gone in warmer temperatures increasing brake distance till double the distance. This has been measured in a Country where cars and tires are taking serieus.
Cornering. In lean a CT has the same radius on the inside as on the outside of the contract patch causing it to wring. This opposite to the MT.
CT is made for lateral movement while the bike is leaving over causing forces in line with the bike also in lean the MC tire is made to cope with that.

I do understand that a cruiser on long trips on straight roads will do fine.
But it takes some knowledge and self judgement to admit that a CT works fine for you but for that you give up safety and performance for money savings.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
air-cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #89
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by air-cooled View Post
Luckily Germans take their tires seriously. Luckily they do test tires on cars and surprisingly snow this are no good above 10C. They are really bad when there tread is Half way gone in warmer temperatures increasing brake distance till double the distance. This has been measured in a Country where cars and tires are taking serieus.
Cornering. In lean a CT has the same radius on the inside as on the outside of the contract patch causing it to wring. This opposite to the MT.
CT is made for lateral movement while the bike is leaving over causing forces in line with the bike also in lean the MC tire is made to cope with that.

I do understand that a cruiser on long trips on straight roads will do fine.
But it takes some knowledge and self judgement to admit that a CT works fine for you but for that you give up safety and performance for money savings.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

you can not reason with idiots but just for the sake of keeping this hilarious thread going here are some well known facts about winter tires and tread squirm on CARS. I can only imagine how horrible the squirm is on a bike lmao.

Most dedicated snow tires are manufactured with much more tread depth than an all-season tire to allow additional room for snow to pack in for the best traction. When temperatures are in the 50s (Fahrenheit) and warmer, the "taller" tread blocks will tend to have much more movement at higher speeds and will make the tire "squirm" and feel slow when reacting to steering input. In addition, the specialized rubber compounds that help a dedicated snow tire grip in cold temperatures becomes much softer in the warmer temperatures and will further contribute to tread squirm while affecting its durability. - See more at: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-a....vuV2X1e5.dpuf

TREAD SQUIRM

Definition: The flexibility in the tire tread between the surface of the tread and the tire carcass. Snow tires, with their small, deep, unsupported tread blocks, have a large amount of tread squirm. Slick racing tires, which have no tread pattern, have very little squirm.

New winter tires begin with deeper tread depths and more open tread designs than the tires used during the rest of the year. While the extra tread depth allows new snow tires to provide more traction in deep snow, it also contributes to more tread squirm and drivers may notice a reduction in handling responsiveness. - See more at: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-a....RP2TfTOd.dpuf
Old 11-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #90
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
Do you not have any idea how frickin stupid you appear?
Seriously.... How many times have you been pulled aside and slapped upside the head?
I was being sarcastic , Einstein.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote