ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
211 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Tahuya trails: Never been, need advice. Whats your favorite loop?

I've been wanting to hit up the Tahuya trail system outside of Belfair, Wa for quite some time. I think I'm finally going to lock in a plan and get the bros out for a couple days riding.

Of course the trail network is massive and lots of 4x4 trails.
We will be on 2-strokes, I'm thinking a 2-day trip?

Can I get some advice from fellow woods riders who have knowledge of the trail network?
Which lot should we park at to access the best trails?
What are some good loops to hit, etc?
211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Avoid Elfendahl Staging on the weekends, I liken it to a zoo. Quad trails on weekends are a hazard, at least IMO, I prefer weekday rides to avoid the obvious. As to a fav? I just decide where I am staging, look for a single track, and ride. There are a few who know the area well, they head towards a rabit hole and next thing you know you are in the prime stuff. I like staging at the gravel parking area at the corner of Belfair-Tahuya Rd and Elfendahl Rd, fairly obvious trails from that point. Bring a GPS, mark your start point and explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
I've been wanting to hit up the Tahuya trail system outside of Belfair, Wa for quite some time. I think I'm finally going to lock in a plan and get the bros out for a couple days riding.

Can I get some advice from fellow woods riders who have knowledge of the trail network?
Old 02-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #3
211 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post
Avoid Elfendahl Staging on the weekends, I liken it to a zoo. Quad trails on weekends are a hazard, at least IMO, I prefer weekday rides to avoid the obvious. As to a fav? I just decide where I am staging, look for a single track, and ride. There are a few who know the area well, they head towards a rabit hole and next thing you know you are in the prime stuff. I like staging at the gravel parking area at the corner of Belfair-Tahuya Rd and Elfendahl Rd, fairly obvious trails from that point. Bring a GPS, mark your start point and explore.
Great advice thanks! I downloaded a trail map from the DNR site so I'll overlay that on my GPS prior to going.

If you had to choose between a dual sported '06 KTM 525 or an '08 KTM 250 XC what would you bring?
In other words are these trails pretty sit-down mellow or can you get ripping in tight stuff where the 2t would be more fun?
211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
81forest
ADDRider

Oddometer: 1,187
You'll enjoy either bike, but my pick would be the 250. I agree with SOP, be careful on the double track if you are there on a nice weekend. I prefer staging at Mission Creek, it's sort of a bikes-only entrance to the trails.

Tahuya is an awesome spot. The best trails IMO are not marked, and not on the maps. There are single track gems all over the place. Once you get to know it a little, you can stay on single track all day. I've been there dozens of times over the years, but I find some new trail almost every time I go.

Have fun!
81forest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:36 PM   #5
sunncountry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I just rode there on Monday on a KTM 530 EXC and had a great time. Couldn't stay long for my first time as I figured out I had no cell service. Both bikes would be great but I would take the smaller just because you can find great single track that just seem to spur off the marked trails everywhere. Hope you like puddles because that place has an abundance of them. Bring dry gear to change into when your done ridin.
sunncountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
PNWet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post

Another map option that works well on a smartphone (and is free): download Avenza PDF maps and then the Tahuya PDF geo-referenced map here.

I have only been there a couple of times. I'd suggest follow the other posters' advice for trails. As for parking, I would park in the busiest place. The more people around the more likely your stuff will be left alone when you're out on the trail. Find an isolated place to park and you'll also increase your chances of being a victim (of theft) as well. Be prepared for lots of mud and puddles. No open fires, so if you're cooking yourself lunch there, bring a camp stove. Be sure you have your Discover Pass as DNR Police do check the area.
PNWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #7
mgdavis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
We usually launch out of the gravel pit on Sand Hill. I'd say the 250 for sure, unless you're a much better rider than me (entirely possible ) the big bike is going to be more work and not much more fun. Sorry, not sure about the trail names, I'm typically following.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #8
Nicholi1222
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I took my DR650 out there a couple weeks ago and had a blast.

I think my favorite trail was Mission Creek.

I'm not gonna lie, if you are not used to forcing a Buick down single track, definitely take a smaller bike.
Nicholi1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #9
zoomdude57
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Howell Lake is a decent two-track loop and normally quad free. You can connect from the Tahuya River Trail. Several single-track options along the route as well.
2011 KTM RC8R
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
zoomdude57 is offline   Reply With Quote