ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
evilbologna OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Moving to PNW

It would seem a dream is starting to spin into reality. For years I was like many, lusting over pictures/video. Wanting to live anywhere but here (NY). I did what I was supposed to, which only led me farther down a path I never wanted. Long story short, I got divorced, sold my house, liquidated much of my possessions and started traveling. In between traveling I intensely explored my local area too, just to confirm that life was better elsewhere.

After multiple trips to the PNW it was becoming clear. They say the grass is greener on the other side, in this case it actually is. So I began the logistics and quickly overwhelmed myself. The money, the risks, fear, etc started piling up. Researched until my eyes bled. But suddenly, I said fuck it. When did I become such a nancy? I've always gotten through things one way or another. The comforts of family, a career, stability, has made me weak. I put my personal happiness on the back burner.

I dont know what Ill do for a job. But I am sold on moving. My resume is broad so I figure I can land something. Im not financially driven, a general cheapass and all around survivor. I'll be moving with my truck, a WR450 and a stripped down 636, snowboard and two mountain bikes. Whatever else doesnt fit, doesnt go.

Its a struggle some days when I see the benefits of a nice paycheck. Or have a good time with friends Ive known forever. However I always come full circle. Im not happy. My outlets arent being fed enough to be healthy.

I could say the day trippin' thread "Chronicles of Gnarnia" and "Northwet pics" are pretty much solely responsible for my decision. Throw in a few trips Ive made out there and its a no brainer. At this point I just need to stay focused. Im going to rape the rest of my paid time off at work, sell off the last few things and anticipate actual departure around my 30th birthday (mid-March).

With that said, I look forward to being in completely unfamiliar territory and tearing it up. Oh and maybe looking for a job too...
evilbologna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #2
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,037
Congratulations on the move- Where to? Where are you moving from? Choosing mid March is an excellent time of year to come here, much better than the next few months. Start stocking up on Goretex.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
evilbologna OP
Adventurer

From upstate NY. Its still up in the air between the cascades in northern Washington or Northern Idaho. Pros and cons to each, naturally. Ive spent time in the central/northern cascade region from Monroe to Wenatchee. However Idaho is the wild card. Seemingly less popular but offers a lot of great stuff. Less popular makes it on the "pro" list too. Ill be taking advantage of my paid time off and making a trip to northern Idaho before I depart. Even then it may change. Im sold on the region itself, specifics will come down to the wire.

I got stuck on all the interwebs research saying "you need a job lined up" or "you need this much money". Kinda forgot about living. In hindsight, now really is the best time. Young enough. Unattached. No dependents. Relatively debt free. Really comes down to the notion of why not.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,763
I would guess if you aren't on meth and are willing to work you'll find a job. Might be best to get rid of any remotely liberal bumper stickers though.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
evilbologna OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern View Post
I would guess if you aren't on meth and are willing to work you'll find a job. Might be best to get rid of any remotely liberal bumper stickers though.
No bumper stickers here. Mind my own business kind of guy. No political affiliation. My current job (da popo) has me hunting meth so perhaps theres job security out there!
Old 11-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,326
I would dig online for jobs in Idaho... if you cant find anything keep going west until you hit the puget sound, and stay north of I90 in Washington. Good luck. If you get a job as police around here, don't ticket me for speeding I can't help it
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,241
Small Town?

Are you looking to move to a small town or to a city like Wenatchee or Colville?

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
woodsrider-boyd
Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer: 452
Keep in mind the weather is quite different on either side of the Cascades. West of the Cascades (Monroe, WA, Seattle and surrounding areas in and around the Puget sound), wet, wet, wet. Mild winters, but pretty dang gloomy. Summers usually get 2-3 months that can be glorious - if its not a rainy summer. Those SUCK! And we do have them from time to time.

East of the Cascades (Wenatchee, eastern WA, Idaho), much drier, very cold winters, some snow, but way less rain, way more sun.

I moved out here to the Seattle area 20 yrs or so ago. Born in NYC and grew up in Northern NJ.

I fooking hate the gloomy weather, have never adjusted to it. Can't wait to move somewhere sunny, or retire and buy a winter place somewhere sunny.

On the other hand the natural beauty can't be beat, the riding is world class, people are friendly, economy is not bad right now.

In any case, good luck with your move. -Ed the resident weather complainer

'06 Husqvarna WR125
woodsrider-boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
evilbologna OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
I would dig online for jobs in Idaho... if you cant find anything keep going west until you hit the puget sound, and stay north of I90 in Washington. Good luck. If you get a job as police around here, don't ticket me for speeding I can't help it
I dont know if Ill stick with law enforcement. To me its just a job, doesnt quite tickle my fancy. If I can score a less stressful job that pays enough (not much) I have no problem jumping ship. Although theres no denying theres a lack of traffic citations on my record.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #10
evilbologna OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Are you looking to move to a small town or to a city like Wenatchee or Colville?
Small town for sure. Wenatchee is the size of a "big" city here. I was essentially raised by wolves so the real cities scare the shit out of me. Coeur D'Alene appeals to me on paper, with Spokane so close I figure jobs are there and yet can still live more out in the mountains. Ill be doing some recon on my next trip.

For Washington pretty much everything north of Seattle is in consideration. Everett to Bellingham. I have a friend in Monroe so naturally there is an economic choice to bunk with him until I get slightly settled.

As for the weather, thats kinda the main perk of the PNW. Nearly two years ago I took a divorce vacation to Washington. I was immediately amazed by traveling east on Rt 2 and how within two hours I went from lush wet coastline to snowy alpine to sunny and dry desert. That kind of variety really sparked me. It simply doesnt exist on the east coast. So really, wherever I end up it really isnt a big deal to hunt for the weather I prefer. I do feel like Ill end up north of Seattle though, the proximity to BC is pretty damn interesting too.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 1,042
I've been here 6 months. Sorta the same boat as you. Tired of where I was (PA) and needed a change. The diversity in terrain and weather within a few hours is amazing. You may just need to pick a place (away from Seattle and crazy traffic if possible) and go for it. Then travel around and research the area. Find a job you like and maybe that will help find where you will live. We tend to start down a career path and sometimes that can be hard to change midlife. Good luck!
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #12
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,058
Have you checked out Bend, Oregon?

You could use all of these on the same day:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbologna View Post
...a WR450 and a stripped down 636, snowboard and two mountain bikes.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #13
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,794
A cop?!?!?

Just a heads up - we do not have evil bologna in the PNW. We only have organic, free-range, non-GMO, fair trade, zero emission, heritage breed, hand made, artisanal charcuterie bologna.

I just don't want you to be disappointed.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #14
woodsrider-boyd
Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer: 452
The Bend, OR area is awesome! (but don't tell anyone back east, I've been hearing grumblings from the natives down that way about the constant influx of troublemakers)

'06 Husqvarna WR125
woodsrider-boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrider-boyd View Post
The Bend, OR area is awesome! (but don't tell anyone back east, I've been hearing grumblings from the natives down that way about the constant influx of troublemakers)
I thought Bend had already been thoroughly fluxed.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote