The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 966
Calvin comes through again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff View Post
This one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckTnSt94CmA
I'd watch it again to make sure it is the one you are talking about, but then I'd feel like they stole another 9:49 from my life.

I do not remember watching this one from when I did big bore research.

Wow, they went with a 17" tyre bike.
I guess I should stop researching the DR650 and look into the CB500X. Ohh, wait, I indeed to go off road at speeds over 15mph.
_
Watching these videos gives a person as much of an idea of reality as a person lost in the woods waiting for the sun to come up to get a bearing on due east...in the dead of winter...in Anchorage, Alaska.

_
Time and time again you hear these guys talk about personality, and nothing on value and cost over a 5 year period. I mean after all, who is actually not made of money.
_
Wha'ts funny is, my boy on "onewheeldrive" had the Ducati and R1200GS go out, and they had to have a guy come in and mod the bike to get off road tires and some junk. I won't post to link. There was no mintion of the S10.
_
Yeah, I had no idea about the S10's potintial until I started looking at the forums here. Then after looking at plenty of youtube videos I had an idea.
_
I think only Rideapart is the only group of folk who keep it real with regards to factoring in money.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #452
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
like i posted its mostly riding impressions? I'm sure they can't determine how reliable a bike is after 2 days and 5-600 hundred miles but you should be able to tell a little bit, not a lot but a little bit about the handling etc... and that review was just road riding with bags and the ducati was the one they like the best. did see a review where they did some very light off road and ducati wasn't good and the tenere didn't fair to well on that either, a small ditch in the road had oil spilling from it and out of commission but that was a different review. So many different opinions out there ride what you like. I guess people don't like when reviewers don t praise their bike but it doesn't bother me.

rockycraig screwed with this post 01-06-2014 at 05:23 PM
Old 01-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #453
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
_
Watching these videos gives a person as much of an idea of reality as a person lost in the woods waiting for the sun to come up to get a bearing on due east...in the dead of winter...in Anchorage, Alaska.

Thanks. That is classic.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #454
RoverDan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I love my '12 S10...but I would kill for cruise control!!
Harbinger Of Fate: In the roads we travel, our destination is always a tiny speck on the horizon where it meets the greeting dawn. Many of the roads we travel down a harbinger of fate waits for us there to change our destiny from the one we have chosen... - David Harris
Old 01-08-2014, 11:41 PM   #455
Xeroo
sweeet!

Oddometer: 20
hooligan video

For you who wants wheelies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hHO...e_gdata_player

Still think i wants this bike

Xeroo screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 11:49 PM
Old 01-09-2014, 01:51 AM   #456
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
I guess people don't like when reviewers don t praise their bike but it doesn't bother me.
No, we chuckle when they apply a sport/touring bike metric from mostly road riding. The reviews in British rags are great if you plan to remain on tarmac. We hear about all of these reviews repeatedly, but we know what we have.

It seems to me that you, Sir, are the one who is getting defensive and 'not liking it' when we call into question what you chose to form your opinion of the bike with. It's sort of like entering a knife fight with a toothpick, so I can see where you might be a bit embarrassed. There is a lot of knowledge in the S10 threads and many posts are from riders who have owned all of the bikes you mention longer than a couple of days and in real-world scenarios.

As far as you sighting whatever mag chose to take the bike off road without so much as the factory skid plate (yes, we know about that flippant review as well), what did they expect? If you care to do some genuine research, you will find that a few rags have done credible testing with riders who actually possess dirt-riding credentials. In those tests, the S10 consistently separates itself from the BMW, Ducati and Stelvio when off road because of the suspension, the geometry and weight distribution. When the big KTM is included, it wins the off road test, which is not surprising, but it takes a hit on road manners and none of the group beats the S10's ruggedness and reliability.

However, if you think you've done a mind-meld with, and consider the Brit rags and unqualified testers adequate for testing a bike of this type, by all means, dive in head first.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:16 AM   #457
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,275
Quote:
like i posted its mostly riding impressions? I'm sure they can't determine how reliable a bike is after 2 days and 5-600 hundred miles but you should be able to tell a little bit, not a lot but a little bit about the handling etc... and that review was just road riding with bags and the ducati was the one they like the best. did see a review where they did some very light off road and ducati wasn't good and the tenere didn't fair to well on that either, a small ditch in the road had oil spilling from it and out of commission but that was a different review. So many different opinions out there ride what you like. I guess people don't like when reviewers don t praise their bike but it doesn't bother me.
Wow, what a collection of cuts from different reviews. If you cut & paste like that, you can make any source say nearly anything you want. Adding to what Tremor wrote, about there being reasons that so many GS people have moved to the Tenere, the ride also depends on how ANY bike is set up. I rode one Tenere that would have made me steer clear of buying one, because that bike was so badly set up, same as riding a GS with the throttle bodies badly out of sync.

Quote:
So I have a 2011 r1200gs, had it for over two years, no problems now I have to take it in and have them f around with it, do all these fuel pumps leak or is it hit or miss??
I like the GS suspension and ergos and it can be a nice bike, if you can make peace with the engine, shifting, and other quirks. (I dislike them.) Both it & the Tenere can go hundreds of thousands of miles. But with this post you are getting to one of the points that have driven people to Yamaha. The GS has a number of recalls, less than a stellar reliability record, and expensive maintenance by comparison. Go test ride a Tenere while your bike is again in the shop & when you do, note the lack of recalls on the Tenere.

Anyway, there are other threads about the GS vs Tenere, just like the old Chevy/Ford arguments. Enjoy whatever you have. Back to the updated 2014 Tenere . . .
Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 AM   #458
billmags
Scoot Jockey

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
As I have said previously. They are only interested in wheelies and top end. They sit on them for a couple of days and beat them up as much as possible and rattle on about sharp handling and looks. They are testing from the sports bike manual not the ADV one. Durability, luggability and reliability are the main ADV bike attributes.

You probably saw the video a couple of years ago that quoted, during a multi big ADV test, "The BMW has a nicer exhaust note". FFS wake up.

Tossers (the UK ones anyway).

Yep, well said.
The best info is gathered by reading the bike specific forums/threads.

Also avoid the video reviews/vlogs by the guy who has been riding for 3 or 4 years and is now an expert consultant on all things moto.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #459
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,713
Laugh Speaking of BMW's...

~

Seems there has been some discussions and comparisons with BMW's here as of late... For that, I give you this:

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews...el-pump-recall

I wonder if those fuel pumps are "lightweight"?

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Old 01-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #460
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
For that, I give you this:

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews...el-pump-recall

I wonder if those fuel pumps are "lightweight"?
I'm am sure that's because they sell more than Bajaj and Hero India combined and it's a small percentage.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 01-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #461
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Quote:

Well, to be fair, I should have just stopped watching the video after the person stated these bikes can go anywhere. 17" tyre is made for the tarmac. 19" a balance between road and dirt....
_
In 2014 matters.
I hope we get some good news tomorrow.

It will be the 10th in about 2.5 hours. (Eastern Time Zone here in North America.)
Old 01-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #462
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
they picked the ducati in that review, all road riding so probably makes sense, I have no hard feelings that they didn't pick the bike I ride , I guess some do. and definitely not gonna and go out and by a ducati because of that review. Not sure how anyone can pick a bike from a test or peoples blogs or reviews, I have to ride them first. Then see what people are saying long term about them etc...I know people who buy without riding, thats not for me. Oh and by the way tremor I did not post the video review on this thread in the first place, not sure who did just thought it was strange how people reacted to it, my point was its just a person's opinion and theres a ton of those out there. Ride what you like if thats ok. Wreckchecker my buddy has a tenere(non flashed) that I have ridden a bunch, liked it just not as much as the bmw so I guess I'm lucky so far no recalls or problems the last two years now this fuel pump thing which I may or may not be in on so if I have to take it in I'll be even with my brother inlaw, he had one as well on his super ten. Yes back to 2014 news on the Ten, not sure why they didn't have one at the New York cycle show.

rockycraig screwed with this post 01-09-2014 at 07:38 PM
Old 01-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #463
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,367
Here's what Canada is getting for 2014. http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/...up=MC&catId=94

Nothing yet on the US site.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #464
Velvet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRich View Post
Here's what Canada is getting for 2014. http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/...up=MC&catId=94

Nothing yet on the US site.
Thats great news for our riding brothers and sisters up north. Hopefully we'll see the same very soon.

Definitely some interesting changes. I hope we get the same colors...maybe with white as well.

Velvet screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 08:22 AM
Old 01-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #465
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Thats great news for our riding brothers and sisters up north. Hopefully we'll see the same very soon.

Definitely some interesting changes. I hope we get the same colors...maybe with white as well.
Good to see Canada will get the 2014. And two models!
Congratulations!

Maybe we can get some of that Adv Touring Vortex action down south... like, today!
Closed Thread