User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Oz not moto friendly

On a serious note, though - no sarcastic political comments here - I have the impression that Oz is really not that motorcycle friendly.

I had the pleasure of riding in Victoria a couple of weeks ago and was surprised by how few bikes were there on the road. During a conversation with the rental place staff I found that the licensing laws there are quite onerous. The license is difficult to obtain and the probation period afterwards is many years long.

It seemed to me to be much more troublesome than European licensing (I'm not comparing to US, since here anyone that breathes and can sign his own name can get a moto license).

If so, that's a vicious cycle. Cumbersome licensing -> fewer motorcyclists -> fewer citizens to vote and defend their rights -> more difficult licensing.

Good luck to you guys Down Under, hopefully you'll be able to defeat this new 3-rider ruling.

rdwalker screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 10:07 PM Reason: spelling
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #17
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcig View Post
Only an opinion however, the politicians and lawmakers are running scared.These thugs that consider themselves "motorcyclists", are ruining the culture and brotherhood of the true enthusiasts. Every night there are shootings in Sydney, usually the Middle Eastern Nike Bikies are having it out with dire consequences. Sadly, there are usually innocents that often get in the way! In the eyes of the law, we are now all painted with the same brush...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law...?link=news.com
Impossible. Guns are not allowed in Australia.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #18
G54B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Preeeettttyyyyy sure you're taking the piss, but anyway. It's actually pretty easy, if fairly tedious and a bit on the expensive side, to legally own firearms as a civilian in this country, provided you're over 18 years of age and don't have a record. So long as it's not a semi-auto anything, pump shotgun, chambered in .50BMG or a pistol and doesn't hold more than 10 rounds you're golden on a standard Category A+B licence.

On topic, it amazes me how people don't seem to get the fact that, if you leave the bikies alone, they'll leave you alone. It's the Leb and Asian gangs that are the real problem.
G54B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
robcig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by G54B View Post
Preeeettttyyyyy sure you're taking the piss, but anyway. It's actually pretty easy, if fairly tedious and a bit on the expensive side, to legally own firearms as a civilian in this country, provided you're over 18 years of age and don't have a record. So long as it's not a semi-auto anything, pump shotgun, chambered in .50BMG or a pistol and doesn't hold more than 10 rounds you're golden on a standard Category A+B licence.

On topic, it amazes me how people don't seem to get the fact that, if you leave the bikies alone, they'll leave you alone. It's the Leb and Asian gangs that are the real problem.

Correct, although the Muslim Lebs have now been allowed to run riot within the bikie world and those peace loving people (not), have fucked everything. We heard bugger all about the bikie world ten/fifteen years ago. They had a code that was respected...not today!
robcig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #20
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoso View Post
Wow that's crazy, it must be rough having a tyrannical government that makes up such laws.

Who'd have thought a nation which completely disarmed its citizens would enact laws which further restrict their rights.

I'd think a nation which destroyed all its peoples firearms would now have a violence free existence, therefore needing no new laws.

Does this mean that taking all the legally owned firearms from the citizens doesn't stop all violent crime?
I don't know where you get that idea
plenty of guns in legal private ownership.
in oz.
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #21
fallingoff
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by G54B View Post

the Asian gangs are no where near the problem as the others.
they play a smarter game.
cheers
Old 11-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #22
fallingoff
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
On a serious note, though - no sarcastic political comments here - I have the impression that Oz is really not that motorcycle friendly.

I had the pleasure of riding in Victoria a couple of weeks ago and was surprised by how few bikes were there on the road. During a conversation with the rental place staff I found that the licensing laws there are quite onerous. The license is difficult to obtain and the probation period afterwards is many years long.

It seemed to me to be much more troublesome than European licensing (I'm not comparing to US, since here anyone that breathes and can sign his own name can get a moto license).

If so, that's a vicious cycle. Cumbersome licensing -> fewer motorcyclists -> fewer citizens to vote and defend their rights -> more difficult licensing.

Good luck to you guys Down Under, hopefully you'll be able to defeat this new 3-rider ruling.
the last 15 years or so.
there has been a dramatic increase in motorcycle registration.
we do have graduated licensing system.
better than we had, still could be improved on.
when my young bloke got his license
I asked him what they taught him.
he told me it was very close to what I had taught him.
took me a number of years and pain to learn the same things.
cheers
Old 11-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #23
robcig
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
the last 15 years or so.
there has been a dramatic increase in motorcycle registration.
we do have graduated licensing system.
better than we had, still could be improved on.
when my young bloke got his license
I asked him what they taught him.
he told me it was very close to what I had taught him.
took me a number of years and pain to learn the same things.
cheers
Mate, I'm sure it was better than we had. I rocked up to Lidcombe Motor Registry in 1982 and the gentleman in charge asked me to ride down the street, come to a stop, a figure eight; well done, you passed!!
Old 11-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #24
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,180
I rode through Oz (Perth > Adelaide > Melbourne > Sydney and a few detours) in 2008... at that time, there was a big debate about the proposal to mandate motorcycle front register plates in Victoria state, so speed cameras could better catch motorcycles.

Also the whole country was littered with warning signs, that speed kills, and if you try to go any faster than the posted limit, then your future will be ruined. At the same time, they´ve got a big problem when drivers fall asleep on the boring, long roads, and crash because of this. There were also a lot of police radars used everywhere, especially in Victoria, and also ones that meter your speed from a police vehicle driving in front of you. And movable, tripod-mounted speed cameras, haven´t seen those elsewhere yet, though they probably are coming.

The Hume Freeway, starting off from Melbourne, was maybe the icing on the cake. Maybe I happened to be there at exactly the wrong time (about 10-11 am), but anyway this huge 4-6 lane motorway had 80 kms per hour limit for almost 100 kms out of Melbourne. And the weather was perfectly sunny and there was barely any traffic on it! I could understand the limit, while you are in the suburbs, but it really continued way too far, was not making any sense to go that slow. Funny though, I´d ridden the Great Ocean Road a few days earlier, and there 80 kms per hour was a common limit – two-up and full load on board the bike it was sometimes tough to even reach 80 in the bends! Seems like they call it the ´Nanny State´ for a reason.

So yeah, there seemed to be a little bit fanatic approach to road safety. But on the other hand, it was very relaxing to ride there, as very few people were speeding dangerously anywhere (and I was coming from Indonesia, where EVERYTHING was just TOTALLY different in traffic!)... and I was in no hurry, as a tourist I want to see things around me, not just zoom past them. So for me it was not a real problem. But still I thought a few times, that maybe the authorities could ease up a bit, not the Indonesia way, but just use some common sense here and there. That often seemed replaced by some sort of “safety fascism”, just punishment, and no reward. And if a lot of folks do fall asleep and crash because of that, maybe the limits on certain roads should actually be raised a bit?

(just my 0.02)
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #25
fallingoff
Banned

Quote:
Mate, I'm sure it was better than we had. I rocked up to Lidcombe Motor Registry in 1982 and the gentleman in charge asked me to ride down the street, come to a stop, a figure eight; well done, you passed!!
I thought I emphasized that when
I explained my sons experience
compared to my learning curve
please go back and reread
cheers

I got my l's in the 70's
5 bucks
could ride any sized bike I liked
cool
Old 11-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #26
robcig
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
I thought I emphasized that when
I explained my sons experience
compared to my learning curve
please go back and reread
cheers

I got my l's in the 70's
5 bucks
could ride any sized bike I liked
cool
Yes, I'm agreeing with you!
Old 11-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #27
fallingoff
Banned

quote from percha

''I rode through Oz (Perth > Adelaide > Melbourne > Sydney and a few detours) in 2008... at that time, there was a big debate about the proposal to mandate motorcycle front register plates in Victoria state, so speed cameras could better catch motorcycles.

Also the whole country was littered with warning signs, that speed kills, and if you try to go any faster than the posted limit, then your future will be ruined. At the same time, they´ve got a big problem when drivers fall asleep on the boring, long roads, and crash because of this. There were also a lot of police radars used everywhere, especially in Victoria, and also ones that meter your speed from a police vehicle driving in front of you. And movable, tripod-mounted speed cameras, haven´t seen those elsewhere yet, though they probably are coming.

The Hume Freeway, starting off from Melbourne, was maybe the icing on the cake. Maybe I happened to be there at exactly the wrong time (about 10-11 am), but anyway this huge 4-6 lane motorway had 80 kms per hour limit for almost 100 kms out of Melbourne. And the weather was perfectly sunny and there was barely any traffic on it! I could understand the limit, while you are in the suburbs, but it really continued way too far, was not making any sense to go that slow. Funny though, I´d ridden the Great Ocean Road a few days earlier, and there 80 kms per hour was a common limit – two-up and full load on board the bike it was sometimes tough to even reach 80 in the bends! Seems like they call it the ´Nanny State´ for a reason.

So yeah, there seemed to be a little bit fanatic approach to road safety. But on the other hand, it was very relaxing to ride there, as very few people were speeding dangerously anywhere (and I was coming from Indonesia, where EVERYTHING was just TOTALLY different in traffic!)... and I was in no hurry, as a tourist I want to see things around me, not just zoom past them. So for me it was not a real problem. But still I thought a few times, that maybe the authorities could ease up a bit, not the Indonesia way, but just use some common sense here and there. That often seemed replaced by some sort of “safety fascism”, just punishment, and no reward. And if a lot of folks do fall asleep and crash because of that, maybe the limits on certain roads should actually be raised a bit?

(just my 0.02) ''

good post

I actually feel safer riding in indo than I do in oz.
as we have dumbed down the road rules
to the lowest common denominator.
cheers
Old 11-05-2013, 01:57 AM   #28
fallingoff
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I'm agreeing with you!
sorry I fucked up again
cheers
Old 11-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #29
gunissan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
[QLD] New Anti-Bikie Laws

If any one is interested in a long read, there is quite a thread going on one of the AUS forums.

http://www.netrider.net.au/threads/n...e-laws.166246/
gunissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #30
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoso View Post
Wow that's crazy, it must be rough having a tyrannical government that makes up such laws.

Who'd have thought a nation which completely disarmed its citizens would enact laws which further restrict their rights.

I'd think a nation which destroyed all its peoples firearms would now have a violence free existence, therefore needing no new laws.

Does this mean that taking all the legally owned firearms from the citizens doesn't stop all violent crime?

Hmmm sounds like the road we're on..
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote