ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,122
Buying maps - what choice?

DVD/Downloadable/Card? Bought a montana 650t

Which is best?

The last time I really used gps was when you obtained a utm coordinate and then located yourself on a topo....

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,850
Buy the DVD and the lifetime updates. Don't mess around with the other options.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

okey dokey -thanks

Old 11-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
Buy the DVD and the lifetime updates. Don't mess around with the other options.
The uSD version has one big advantage in that it's not locked to any GPS. So you can move it to any GPS which takes the card type. I do prefer the DVD version, but owning one of the cards means I can try out other GPS units quite easily. I've even lent the card out once or twice. Try that with the DVD version. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:58 AM   #5
Riteris
Dessert Runner

I have a uSD card for European maps so I can transfer it to different gps devices and to lend out to friends.

But for everyday use in the US and A, I like having the same map in the gps and the computer for route planning, as well as the quarterly(?) map updates.

Correct me if I am wrong but one cannot do that with the uSD card, right?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Old 11-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #6
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I have a uSD card for European maps so I can transfer it to different gps devices and to lend out to friends.

But for everyday use in the US and A, I like having the same map in the gps and the computer for route planning, as well as the quarterly(?) map updates.

Correct me if I am wrong but one cannot do that with the uSD card, right?
You're right - uSD maps and the download version as well can't be updated. For most people the DVD version is a better alternative, but I get a lot of use out of my SD version as well. It's in a Garmin unit I'm Beta testing right now, in fact.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #7
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You're right - uSD maps and the download version as well can't be updated. For most people the DVD version is a better alternative, but I get a lot of use out of my SD version as well. It's in a Garmin unit I'm Beta testing right now, in fact.

Well, you are SPECIAL. (What is it? Anything we would like to know about?)

I assumed the OP was not a beta tester. Unless told otherwise, I stand by my original statement.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #8
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Well, you are SPECIAL. (What is it? Anything we would like to know about?)
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Which maps?

I downloaded Base Camp and now I'm looking over the map choices. I'm going to get the North America road maps, but what would be the best for dirt routes like forest service roads? The 24K topos? Birdseye worth it?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
For roads be they graded, unmaintained or 4X4 OHV routes CityNavigator.

For singletrack trails (very poor coverage) and true cross-country travel (hiking?) Topo. For value 100K and for routable roads 24K.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Little Bike OP
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
For roads be they graded, unmaintained or 4X4 OHV routes CityNavigator.

For singletrack trails (very poor coverage) and true cross-country travel (hiking?) Topo. For value 100K and for routable roads 24K.

Bruce
I was looking at a dirt route I rode a couple of weeks ago and in the 100K map that came with the unit I had to zoom waaaaay in before I could even pick it up. I never would have found the beginning using that map. Do roads show up better in CityNavigator?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
deserteagle56
deserteagle56

Oddometer: 41
For the dirt roads you'll need the 24k maps. There are lots of them out there but the best I've found are the ones you'll find at gpsfiledepot.com. Those are generally more up to date than Garmin's own offerings which quite often don't show good roads that have existed for many years. City Navigator maps will show some of the dirt roads - but that's all. Just the roads on a blank white screen. I like to see more detail - like nearby mountains and other terrain features, windmills/wells, old mines, etc. Those will show on a 24k topo map but not on city navigator.
deserteagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #13
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
For the dirt roads you'll need the 24k maps. There are lots of them out there but the best I've found are the ones you'll find at gpsfiledepot.com. Those are generally more up to date than Garmin's own offerings which quite often don't show good roads that have existed for many years. City Navigator maps will show some of the dirt roads - but that's all. Just the roads on a blank white screen. I like to see more detail - like nearby mountains and other terrain features, windmills/wells, old mines, etc. Those will show on a 24k topo map but not on city navigator.
Not sure I agree with all you have said. My experience is with CN, an old 100K TOPO and an old Roads & Rec. All have their advantages so I have all 3 loaded and switch frequently. I have also researched the newer Garmin offerings and see that they are claiming that all roads are new NavTec data which used to be reserved for CN. I have never had great luck with the free open-source maps but I know they are getting better.

I to like to see geographic details at times but the screen can become very cluttered with contour lines. On my old TOPO the 4X4 type dirt roads are shown as 2 dashed parallel lines, using the Garmin map viewer the same roads are shown as single dashed lines in the latest 100K & 24K which to me is confusing because single-track trails are also shown as dashed lines. I like the old way better.

Bruce
Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #14
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
I was looking at a dirt route I rode a couple of weeks ago and in the 100K map that came with the unit I had to zoom waaaaay in before I could even pick it up. I never would have found the beginning using that map. Do roads show up better in CityNavigator?
First thing to do is be sure you map detail setting is set to "Most" in the "Setup Map" page.

No, I don't think there is a big difference as to what zoom level the minor roads appear, maybe 1 zoom level different for my old TOPO 100 and it's the TOPO which is out further. This is why I always tell folks that a small screen GPS will never take the place of paper maps when looking at the "big picture".

You can go to the Garmin site and pull up the map products and go to the "Coverage" tab, then look to the upper right of the map, often the is a link to the "Interactive MapViewer" for some. This will give a kind of preview of areas you know.

I am not experienced with Garmin's latest TOPO offerings but I do know the contour lines can cause a lot of screen clutter depending on topography. My old TOPO has a POI file which is loaded with geographic & recreation points but not hotels, food & gas. So if all you have loaded is my old 100K TOPO a search for nearest gas would give no results, it takes CN for that. Also most TOPO roads are labeled as "Road" and in CN the overwhelming majority will be named or numbered even Forest Service roads. Perhaps that has changed in the newer stuff. In the areas I am familiar with CN accurately shows 99+% of all legal two-track. Example: CN shows all legal routes in and around Death Valley.

I'm not saying TOPO doesn't have its place, I own and use it, but it wouldn't be my only map.

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 12:18 AM
Old 11-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #15
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,806
IMHO City Navigator shows about 95% of the dirt roads you might want to ride. I use Topo 100k and Topo 24k to augment this.

The bigger problem with City Navigator is that is does not distinguish between which roads are open and which are closed. My experience in riding out west is that the most minor roads on private land are closed.

So you have to have some way of determining land ownership.

I have lately been using BLM and Forest service Travel Planning maps to determine which roads in those areas are open. They are up-to-date, accurate and by law comprehensive and free. But they are typically only available as pdf files. And you have to search each BLM or NF management district to find them.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote