Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #166
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 948
My apologies to JVB for me being such a jerk. And yes, parking next to the handicap space is not cool. So I flogged my self and did 100 mea culpas. I hope everybody rode and enjoyed the Thanksgiving riding their favorite roads.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #167
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,560

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #168
OrangeDevil37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
i park on the curb everywhere i go everytime i ride. go out to your bike in the parking lot sometime and find it on its side from where some douche bag pulled in thinking its open and hit your bike, then panic back up and park else where.

i honestly dont care who it pisses off. i am respectable and make sure bike is giving the most room to people that walk in the area. usually when i park im not there for a long time.

when it comes to hotels/motels. bike goes in the room or a watch is posted. i trust no one around my bike other then friends/family. another thing i hate is when strangers set on your bike casue they like it!
OrangeDevil37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #169
maikhoepfel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Another vote for parking on the sidewalk. In Berlin it's actually encouraged to save parking spaces. Not so much in London, it's impossible to find a legal parking spot for a bike with panniers on. And then you get fined for parking in a car space!

As far as travel is concerned, I try to not care too much. Prop it up on the main stand so that kids sitting on it don't drop it, and don't keep too many exciting things on it. At the end of the day, I've got better things to do on a holiday and then worry about my bike!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #170
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeDevil37 View Post
i park on the curb everywhere i go everytime i ride. go out to your bike in the parking lot sometime and find it on its side from where some douche bag pulled in thinking its open and hit your bike, then panic back up and park else where.

i honestly dont care who it pisses off. i am respectable and make sure bike is giving the most room to people that walk in the area. usually when i park im not there for a long time.

when it comes to hotels/motels. bike goes in the room or a watch is posted. i trust no one around my bike other then friends/family. another thing i hate is when strangers set on your bike casue they like it!
Those two terms, even using proper grammar, are mutually exclusive!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #171
air-cooled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216

this one is confusing, in front of the hotel seems to be a lot of space to park your bike really close to the front door without being on the side walk, but then the side walk seems to be 4 m and where the hotel is, the side walk is less than 2 m, so i think that parking on the sidewalk away from the street can't really be a problem unless you want to walk into the side wall of the hotel.

every situation where there is a hotel is different.

i parked mine bike a close as inside the pension till outside on the parking lot. i do prefer inside but in front and in sight of the hotel is fine as well, just because bikes get stolen easily and as mentioned, in europe it is the way to park you bike. but still pedestrians should not be hindered.

don't worry, all though 3 m from the front door, there where only about 10 houses in this village.

so as i said, every place is different. and each country it's rules.

over here we parked inside because we could

air-cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #172
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,400
Last year, we did a ride across the country, staying mainly in hotels. I'd say at probably 75% of the places, the person at the front desk asked US if we wanted to part on the sidewalk, or along the far wall of the entrance carport. The other 20% said sure when we asked, stating most motorcyclists did it when they came through. Of the 45-day trip, there was only one place that didn't allow us to park at the entrance area when we asked, which was fine by us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #173
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,108

Piss poor pic. But, it shows where I stuck the bike while staying at the most expensive room for 1 I've stayed in.
Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort in the Kootenai's, B.C.

Sorry about the oil stain, I had the cam chain adjuster seal fixed later in Montana.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #174
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeDevil37 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Those two terms, even using proper grammar, are mutually exclusive!

Jim
That's what was thinking, I was going to post something like your commit. But now I'll just give you the +1
Old 12-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #175
riverflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post
I will confess to parking in the gore area that is present in some parking lots at the end of the rows, the painted area where cars aren't supposed to park. For the above reason.
If it fits, I sits. Here in Kentucky, those lines are more or less designated motorcycle parking. The stripy areas are just a matter of being able to fit somewhere a car won't.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #176
Boricua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Parking a motor vehicle on a public side walk is ilegal here. So is parking on designated no parking areas such as the diagonally striped areas in the parking lot. However, I've been offered to park under a covered area in hotels some of which are on the sidewalk. These are not public but on hotel premises. I have parked on the striped no parking areas in private parking lots but never in public ones. Private security in private parking lots will issue a warning. Only law enforcement can issue a parking ticket. I know most law enforcement officers will not issue a ticket in the circumstances in which the motorcycle is parked in the safest location as long as it is not impeding pedestrian or other traffic. In public areas you are guaranteed a ticket if you park in the striped no parking area. Kind of dual standard here.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Boricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #177
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Parking a motor vehicle on a public side walk is ilegal here.
Where's here? Fill out profile noob.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #178
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
I just roll mine into the room with me...
Old 12-14-2013, 03:58 AM   #179
air-cooled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
reply to post a picture

no parking on the road or the pavement

hotel is on the right hand site
air-cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #180
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Am I the only one who asks if my bike can be taken into the room with me?