Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #31
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
I am not sure why people do that too! I think a lot of people are pretty self centered and inconsiderate.

I always park where is out of peoples way never blocking any traffic specially pedestrians.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #32
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,215
Because they can.

Stop being a sniveler.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #33
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I asked a question in a polite manner, looking for insight, not trying to start a flame war.
Then you should have left this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I've always thought it was disrespectful of other guests...
What you see as disrespectful is actually a rider being polite by not taking up a whole parking space with a bike.

It is likely for security reasons. If I am in what I believe to be a shady part of town The bike will come into the room with me. (as others have posted)

DAKEZ screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 04:29 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #34
Brian Keith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I used to be a contractor and I spent a lot of time living in motels and hotels most of the year. I never parked on the sidewalk but don't have a reaction one way or the other if someone is respectful to others. I think overseas it's not as big a deal and one of the attractions of owning a bike. Sometimes if there were other bikes parked under the entry area I would ask the receptionist if it was okay to do so because I felt it was a little more secure. If I stayed in a motel I would park my bike as close to the door as possible. If it was a hotel I would try to get it under my window. I never sweat it too much because that's what insurance is for. The apartments I lived in for a while in Salinas California had covered parking and someone once backed into my bike and knocked it over. The bike was right under my window, I got an alarm installed and of course after spending all the money nothing ever happened again. After that I just figured whatever is going to happen is going to happen.
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #35
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,057
It's because bikes parked on the sidewalk are invisible to thieves. They respect the sidewalk as 'off-limits' to their work.

But seriously, I would guess it's an entitlement thing, rather than protection from theft. Through insulated walls and glass, if you can't hear them stealing your stuff in the parking lot, six feet closer to the building isn't going to help either.

But then, I've never parked my bike inside the room either. Riding up the steps always defeats me.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #36
Disco Stu OP
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Because they can.

Stop being a sniveler.
Quote:
Then you should have left this out.
Instead of going with my first instinct, I posted a thread asking for other's opinions. Would you rather that people think of you with their kneejerk reaction to your behavior, or ask a question and maybe understand what you're doing. Not sure how that is 'sniveling.'
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #37
Disco Stu OP
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norhasken View Post
Sometimes the sidewalk is concrete and the parking lot is asphalt, on hot days it can make a difference to a sidestand.

Good point, I forgot about that. I used to work on a navy base with asphalt parking, but they had a reserved motorcycle section that was concrete.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #38
MotorCade
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHulgan View Post
But then, I've never parked my bike inside the room either. Riding up the steps always defeats me.
You should see the looks you get on the elevator.
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #39
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norhasken View Post
Sometimes the sidewalk is concrete and the parking lot is asphalt, on hot days it can make a difference to a sidestand.
That is a good reason!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #40
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
I have parked on the 'sidewalk' in front of target and home depot. it is out of the way and away from the entrance/exit.

at a motel I would park right outside my room. some times on the sidewalk or in a space. it really depends if my bike can be out of the way. I don't want to be a theft victim but even less a victim of vandalism.

this entire last week I was at a larger hotel. my room was on the 2nd floor at the rear. I parked in the lot under a light and chained my bike to the post. it was very well lit at night.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #41
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,864
I park under the overhang in front of the hotel office. I think it's less likely to be stolen or fucked with. If my car gets stolen, who gives a shit? It's a car. that bike ... it's my fuckin' bike, man.

Edit: I make a deliberate effort to ensure it's out of the way of pedestrian and vehicle traffic. I'll even ask the front desk if it's OK. I've never had them say anything but "Yes."

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #42
Phat Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
What you see as disrespectful is actually a rider being polite by not taking up a whole parking space with a bike.
you know what's funny? one time a lady was upset that I took up a whole parking spot and asked me why i couldn't just park on the sidewalk. I nicely explained to her that in DC the law says to park a motorcycle like a car, and that as much as I would like to park on the sidewalk there's a decent chance I'd get a ticket for it. She said "well that's a stupid law" and I said "I know!"
Phat Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #43
El Desmo
Stay sharp, keep moving.

Oddometer: 42
Sometimes.

I've checked into places that offered to let me park where the night staff could keep an eye out for my bike. Sometimes south of the border I was told to park where the velador [night watchman] was closeby. Usually in plain view of the front desk.
El Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #44
deacon51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
I will park on the side walk of a hotel, but I ask first. I like the bike close and in the light. Motorcycles are just too tempting when parked on the dark side of a parking lot. It takes only a few seconds for two guys to toss a bike into the back of a truck.
I have started to cover my bike now too… I came out of a Mid-range interstate motel that didn’t have exterior doors to the rooms, my bike was parked on the sidewalk where the clerk could keep an eye on it overnight, only to find said clerk sitting side saddle on my bike, smoking a cig at 2 in the morning.

Anyway, I do try to park out of the way.
deacon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #45
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I park under the overhang in front of the hotel office. I think it's less likely to be stolen or fucked with. If my car gets stolen, who gives a shit? It's a car. that bike ... it's my fuckin' bike, man.

Edit: I make a deliberate effort to ensure it's out of the way of pedestrian and vehicle traffic. I'll even ask the front desk if it's OK. I've never had them say anything but "Yes."

Bike friendly parking during Daytona Bike Week.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote