Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #61
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 294
someofuseneedsomewarmmilkandaniceplacetolaydown.
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #62
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
someofuseneedsomewarmmilkandaniceplacetolaydown.
Sorry
Worst post of the day
I suppose it's the difference
Between cold and hot milk.
Lol
Cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:52 AM   #63
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
At my local mall they don't mind if you park in the striped sections at the end of the parking row, unless it is a handicapped area. If you park in any of the handicapped areas stripes you get a warning, then a ticket, then it gets towed.

I like their policy.
ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #64
Petzl
Hmmmm...

Oddometer: 97
My bike gets scared and lonely so it wants to be close...
Petzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #65
millican
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I've seen enough of guys in wheelchairs and women with strollers have to go around a car (almost always a pickup for some reason) or motorcycle parked on the sidewalk. It really makes the motorcyclist look like a total self-centered douche-bag. (Doesn't being a douche-bag make you more likely to be vandalized?) I've found that when I do park in a spot, there are often other bikes in the same spot when I come back out. That's fine with me.
millican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #66
dbg326
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
I'll usually park in normal spaces, but I in no way see it as a self-centered, douche move if someone parks on the sidewalk, provided that pedestrian traffic is unhampered. Most European countries have this down pretty well. Filtering, bike friendly parking, better beer, better coffee.........hmmmm.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #67
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 214
Why do riders park their bikes on sidewalks at hotels?

Same reason people park in the loading zone at Home Depot. They have a false self-importance that allows them to think that their own needs exceed the needs of the 'other customers'

You know the 'other customers', they're the ones that parked in marked parking spot.

So when I'm loading my $400-$500 worth of project purchases in the loading zone I may or may not have room to be there... Because mister high and mighty will only be a couple of minutes.

Just like when I arrive at a hotel, late at night, in the rain, I will have to walk around the bikes on the side walk while carrying my families luggage and two sleeping kids... Because the needs of the bike owner seemingly far exceed my needs - you know who I am... I'm the guy who parked in the parking spot with the white lines.

I don't care who you think you are. The parking lot is for everybody. You ain't special. I guarantee it!
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #68
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post

Same reason people park in the loading zone at Home Depot. They have a false self-importance that allows them to think that their own needs exceed the needs of the 'other customers'

You know the 'other customers', they're the ones that parked in marked parking spot.

So when I'm loading my $400-$500 worth of project purchases in the loading zone I may or may not have room to be there... Because mister high and mighty will only be a couple of minutes.

Just like when I arrive at a hotel, late at night, in the rain, I will have to walk around the bikes on the side walk while carrying my families luggage and two sleeping kids... Because the needs of the bike owner seemingly far exceed my needs - you know who I am... I'm the guy who parked in the parking spot with the white lines.

I don't care who you think you are. The parking lot is for everybody. You ain't special. I guarantee it!
The only fail in your logic is.... the loading zone at Home Depot is marked as a loading zone and no parking unless you are loading is permitted.

The sidewalks we are parking on do not say no parking. In fact in some cases are marked as available to park a bike on. And... if you would upgrade your reading comprehension just a tad you will read where riders are asking permission to park at the hotels.

And just so's you know it.... I am more important than you.
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #69
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
The only fail in your logic is.... the loading zone at Home Depot is marked as a loading zone and no parking unless you are loading is permitted.

The sidewalks we are parking on do not say no parking. In fact in some cases are marked as available to park a bike on. And... if you would upgrade your reading comprehension just a tad you will read where riders are asking permission to park at the hotels.

And just so's you know it.... I am more important than you.
And you're not a whiner.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #70
Disco Stu OP
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by millican View Post
I've seen enough of guys in wheelchairs and women with strollers have to go around a car (almost always a pickup for some reason) or motorcycle parked on the sidewalk. It really makes the motorcyclist look like a total self-centered douche-bag. (Doesn't being a douche-bag make you more likely to be vandalized?) I've found that when I do park in a spot, there are often other bikes in the same spot when I come back out. That's fine with me.
I've had that happen to me. I usually park to one side of the spot, in case another motorcycle wants to park there.

But occasionally at the university, asshats have just parked at the end of the parking spot, blocking me in. When that has happened, I move the bike until it's out of my way, then ride off. Sometimes that has meant leaving the bike in the middle of the lane.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #71
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 967
Wicked

It depends on the space. Usually if I'm not impending pedestrians, service carts etc, then it makes sense, plus you can always strike up a conversation with a stranger which is always fun, and instead of occupying a full car spot someone else can have that spot. Regarding supermarkets and box stores, I only do that when I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I won't make anyone mad, it's safe to do so and in doesn't impede carts and pedestrians.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #72
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
I always

I always ask. I have never been turned down. And I never park in anyones way even on the sidewalk.

This summer in Co. Springs, Co. my son and I stayed at the Drury on the north end of town for 2 nites. I asked the clerk if I could park the truck and trailer kinda sideways in 2 and 1/2 slots at the end of the row at the back of the building and leave it for 2 nites. Yes, no problem. Under our window and under a light. Bikes locked to trailer and trailer to the truck.

Heck some places the cleck, noticed I was on the bike, gave me ground floor with level access to the door and no curb and said you wont have any trouble here but we understand if you want to bring it in your room tonight.

jailor8
RIP my Cousin, Austin City Limits aka Terry Hammond
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4
Jailor8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #73
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Heck some places the cleck, noticed I was on the bike, gave me ground floor with level access to the door and no curb and said you wont have any trouble here but we understand if you want to bring it in your room tonight.
Did you?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #74
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:

you really don' t get it.
you park the bike in a way it leaves room for wheelchairs etc.
the loading dock.
well there are always pigs in the world
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #75
BruceI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:

Nicely said!
BruceI is offline   Reply With Quote