ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #76
wjpjump
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wjpjump's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: kalifornia
Oddometer: 413
Think as long as its not obstructing anyone. No problem.
A dick can be a dick no matter what they drive.
wjpjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #77
fallingoff
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: syd oz
Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjpjump View Post
Think as long as its not obstructing anyone. No problem.
A dick can be a dick no matter what they drive.
Yes
Good post
Cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #78
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE
 
DOGSROOT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: DOGHOUSE
Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post

I asked this sorta off-topic in a different thread and got a snarky reply, so I'll start a thread.


Snarky reply my arse!!

(That was a sarcastic snarky response.)

I'm the fucker who replied to you.

And, as much as I think it's lame to quote oneself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post

Maybe they think that they're the Centre of their Own Universe, DiscoStu...

Some people.
.
.
.
If you look at what you list as your Location: all will be clear.




FWIW, I park (unobtrusively) on sidewalks every day to avoided turds in cages fucking up my bike and splitting.
.
.
.
__________________
In what sense can economics still claim to be a science if its predictive capacity is so dismally low?
Timothy Garton Ash

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #79
Disco Stu OP
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!
 
Disco Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: The Center of my Own Universe
Oddometer: 5,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
Snarky reply my arse!

(That was a sarcastic snarky response.)

I'm the fucker who replied to you.

And, as much as I think it's lame to quote oneself...



If you look at what you list as your Location: all will be clear.
It appears that your first sarcastic snarky response must have been the highlight of your intellectual abilities.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #80
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer
 
VEGASGSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
The only fail in your logic is.... the loading zone at Home Depot is marked as a loading zone and no parking unless you are loading is permitted.

The sidewalks we are parking on do not say no parking.

And just so's you know it.... I am more important than you.
The fail in your logic is..is what he is saying, is people are parking in the loading zone...so you can't load your shit....there is always some dumbfuck, who thinks he deserves it..

The fail in your logic is..it's called a sidewalk..not a sidepark, does it really need a sign, to tell the simple it's a sidewalk, or at some point, should that be a given?

Lemme guess, Harley?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You are not half as ugly as I thought you would be!

VEGASGSA screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 03:06 PM Reason: grammars error..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #81
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MingRidesBikes's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 188
I figured this to be a common practice (at least around my parts), guess not. As a rider I actually get more frustrated when motorcycles take up parking spots. Car/trucks/suvs etc. do not have the luxury to squeeze into small spaces like a motorcycle can. When I need to run to the store in the cage and a motorcycle or scooter is taking up an entire parking space instead of pulling up next to the building it can get a bit annoying. This isn't as bad as the motorcyclist that do not know how to park a motorcycle on the side of the road. The most annoying is when a motorcycle or scooter "parallel" parks on the side of the street instead of backing the bike up to the curb. It take ungodly amounts of space that multiple motorcycles can be parked at. Maybe it is different in other states, but parking a motorcycle in unmarked areas i.e. the unused un-park able areas of a the gym, shopping centers, grocery stores, between parallel parked cars, etc. is how people do and should park their motorcycles around my state. It's not inconsiderate that they are making more park able areas for cars imo. I think it is inconsiderate when people park their motorcycles in a huge marked parking stall, mostly when there is another motorcycle right next to them in their own marked parking stall. Squeeze it together! Unless you are high and mighty and feel your bike is too good to park next to another motorcycle, or for other reasons that you just were unaware that parking in un walked, un park able areas (for cars that is), is the considerate to do on a motorcycle. Than take a look at yourself before making assumptions that people who park their motorcycles in unmarked areas are the assholes.
MingRidesBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #82
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer
 
steveWFL's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by soggysandwich View Post
who the fuck are you ?...the "Sidewalk Police" ?

mine your own business ,,,

__________________
KTM EXC - in 530 flavor
'10 Concours14 with >85,000 miles and ticking'
'99 ZX9R Ninja - rolling retro style
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #83
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
I figured this to be a common practice (at least around my parts), guess not. As a rider I actually get more frustrated when motorcycles take up parking spots. Car/trucks/suvs etc. do not have the luxury to squeeze into small spaces like a motorcycle can. When I need to run to the store in the cage and a motorcycle or scooter is taking up an entire parking space instead of pulling up next to the building it can get a bit annoying. This isn't as bad as the motorcyclist that do not know how to park a motorcycle on the side of the road. The most annoying is when a motorcycle or scooter "parallel" parks on the side of the street instead of backing the bike up to the curb. It take ungodly amounts of space that multiple motorcycles can be parked at. Maybe it is different in other states, but parking a motorcycle in unmarked areas i.e. the unused un-park able areas of a the gym, shopping centers, grocery stores, between parallel parked cars, etc. is how people do and should park their motorcycles around my state. It's not inconsiderate that they are making more park able areas for cars imo. I think it is inconsiderate when people park their motorcycles in a huge marked parking stall, mostly when there is another motorcycle right next to them in their own marked parking stall. Squeeze it together! Unless you are high and mighty and feel your bike is too good to park next to another motorcycle, or for other reasons that you just were unaware that parking in un walked, un park able areas (for cars that is), is the considerate to do on a motorcycle. Than take a look at yourself before making assumptions that people who park their motorcycles in unmarked areas are the assholes.
You should maybe take your own advice.

Many places you MUST parallel park, even on a bike. Getting annoyed at riders who use spots is downright silly. If they drove a car they would be entitled to a spot. Some bikes do not like jumping curbs to park on a sidewalk, and my GS takes a lot of space to park on a sidewalk. It would be nearly impossible NOT to block a normal sidewalk. They are sideWALKS not sidePARKS.

That said, if there is plenty of room, and no one is being inconvenienced, I don't car if a bike is not in a parking spot.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #84
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I asked this sorta off-topic in a different thread and got a snarky reply, so I'll start a thread.

I've never understood why motorcyclists park their bikes on the sidewalks next to their hotel rooms, so I'm hoping someone can enlighten me. I've always thought it was disrespectful of other guests, but I'd like to hear other's opinions.

Are you parking your bike next to your room because you think the bike will get stolen/vandalized? If so, is it because you're staying in a bad area? Or you've had personal experiences in the past with your bikes being screwed with at hotels?

If your parking on the sidewalk because of the rain, are you afraid that your bike will malfunction if it gets wet? Do you park your bike there, but still ride in the rain, or do you take the morning off until the roads are dry?

I'm genuinely interested in understanding why people think it's acceptable to park their vehicles on the sidewalk.
I can see why you got snarky replies when you phrase your questions as you do.

Nevertheless:...

I don't usually park my bike right by my hotel window (sidewalk or otherwise) but quite often park it under the awning by the front entrance. More often than not, that is the suggestion given when I ask where is the best place to leave it. At a couple of hotels, I have subsequently been asked to move it, once due to "fire regulations", which may or may not be true. I have also had a desk clerk suggest I pull it into my room at a motel so I did not have to remove all my luggage (boxer cylinders wouldn't fit through the door.)

In other instances I park on the sidewalk or other hard areas where I will not be blocking foot traffic if it means I am not taking up a space in a crowded parking lot. That seems to me to be both considerate of other guests and a sensible precaution against bad drivers.

A colleague came out one morning to where he had parked his bike in the normal parking area away from his room and found it upside-down. No cars in the parking lot were damaged so I guess a motorcycle just attracts more attention from the wrong sort of people.
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #85
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Honolulu
Oddometer: 1,283
Once had it recommended to me to park under the eaves-overhang right in front of my room so the bike wouldn't be covered in dew in the morning - at a small motel in Illinois... I think it was there anyway.

Best parking was in Verona ( Italy ) - downtown in a Ritzy place, we pull up late in the afternoon after jamming through rush hour traffic as it is starting to rain. Several very high-end cars are out front on the curb, - "Right this way, motorcycles park inside..." as we were ushered into the covered parking area.

Sweet.
"I could get used to this..."
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #86
Travex
Lost is found
 
Travex's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Western NY State
Oddometer: 143
Because.
__________________
"Rider assumes full responsibility"

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:04 AM   #87
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes
 
atomicalex's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Detroit & Düsseldorf
Oddometer: 2,030
I pointed this out in the stupid thing people say thread - in continental Europe, riders ("bikers") are viewed as cash fountains, not problems. Rides on 650cc+ cruisers, tourers, and adventure bikes are jackpots. They know you have money and that you are there to spend it. So they treat riders like the guaranteed payouts that we are. When I was in the Alps, even the dorkiest little guesthouses opened up the garage, showed us the gear drying room, etc. park on teh sidewalk? Right out front, please.

It's AWESOME.
__________________
Katherine, in words - F650GSa - CBR250R (sold) - Super Sherpa - Nine Days in the Alps
atomicalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:26 AM   #88
fallingoff
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: syd oz
Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
I pointed this out in the stupid thing people say thread - in continental Europe, riders ("bikers") are viewed as cash fountains, not problems. Rides on 650cc+ cruisers, tourers, and adventure bikes are jackpots. They know you have money and that you are there to spend it. So they treat riders like the guaranteed payouts that we are. When I was in the Alps, even the dorkiest little guesthouses opened up the garage, showed us the gear drying room, etc. park on teh sidewalk? Right out front, please.

It's AWESOME.
thks
common sense
some people who are relatively
new to riding.
don't seem to understand
or just ignorant and stupid.
but if you grow up riding
you learn to park conveniently
near to where you want to be.
people with sense understand this,
just new riders.
where the bike is a toy.
not your only transport.
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #89
snoman002
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 142
I have occasionally parked in areas not designated as parking, but usually its because other available parking was full or nearly so, and always when doing so won't effect others. Asking others to walk around your bike because your worried about your stuff, or would have had to park in the back, or 'didn't want to take up a whole spot' is just justifying it to yourself. It's just like the cagers who merge into you with out signaling, or park in 4 spots, or camp themselves in the left lane, typically just selfishnees.

I do not understand the whole 'I didn't want to take up a whole spot argument' though. So, if that bike had not parked in that Spot then you would be able to? So, if one bike is taking up a whole spot near the front of a full lot then that spot would be open if he hadn't parked there? And really, I don't think even 10 bikers taking their own spots will make any measurable difference in a parking lot of 400 parking spots
snoman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #90
manfromthestix
Lost in Space
 
manfromthestix's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Oddometer: 2,112
Because all the spots on the street were taken and I didn't want to get a ticket for parking on the yellow curb.



Seriously, I just did that 'cuz it was cool to see all those GS's parked like that, so I added mine to the mix for a second. When I park the bike for any reason I try to get it out of the way of other traffic just because most cage drivers are oblivious and I fear them knocking it down. If I leave it overnight at a hotel I try to find a well-lit area out of the main traffic flow, cover it, and trust no one will mess with it. I also have good insurance. Like the OP said, it's water tight and can be ridden in the rain, so I don't see any need to be anal about parking it under a canopy etc., just use a cover and it will be fine. I have a nice Nelson-Rigg half-cover that I got for ~$30 that wads up into a pretty tiny package that travels everywhere with me. I think the cover dissuades people from messing with it, as well as protecting it from the weather. I'm more concerned about the bike sitting for hours in the sun than I am in it getting wet; the sun will destroy your seats, plastics, paint, etc. in very short order.

Bottom line is I park it (with respect to others) like it was a car, but am careful to chose a normal parking spot that might help keep the bike safe and protect it from the weather with a cover.

Doug
__________________
"If it doesn't blow smoke and make noise, it isn't a sport!" - radio ad for shop in Bozeman, MT
manfromthestix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014