Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #91
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
The fail in your logic is..is what he is saying, is people are parking in the loading zone...so you can't load your shit....there is always some dumbfuck, who thinks he deserves it..

The fail in your logic is..it's called a sidewalk..not a sidepark, does it really need a sign, to tell the simple it's a sidewalk, or at some point, should that be a given?

Lemme guess, Harley?
The only fail in your logic is he's talking about people parking in clearly marked no parking zones and this thread is titled "
Why do riders park their bikes on sidewalks at hotels?"
(where I have never seen a no parking sign and have been told many times by management to go ahead and park).

Let me guess, judging by your poor reading comprehension and eagerness to display your limited intelligence, bmw?
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #92
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
Because all the spots on the street were taken and I didn't want to get a ticket for parking on the yellow curb.

Seriously, I just did that 'cuz it was cool to see all those GS's parked like that, so I added mine to the mix for a second. When I park the bike for any reason I try to get it out of the way of other traffic just because most cage drivers are oblivious and I fear them knocking it down. If I leave it overnight at a hotel I try to find a well-lit area out of the main traffic flow, cover it, and trust no one will mess with it. I also have good insurance. Like the OP said, it's water tight and can be ridden in the rain, so I don't see any need to be anal about parking it under a canopy etc., just use a cover and it will be fine. I have a nice Nelson-Rigg half-cover that I got for ~$30 that wads up into a pretty tiny package that travels everywhere with me. I think the cover dissuades people from messing with it, as well as protecting it from the weather. I'm more concerned about the bike sitting for hours in the sun than I am in it getting wet; the sun will destroy your seats, plastics, paint, etc. in very short order.

Bottom line is I park it (with respect to others) like it was a car, but am careful to chose a normal parking spot that might help keep the bike safe and protect it from the weather with a cover.

Doug
I've never parked any of my bikes on the sidewalk to keep them from getting wet...
Are all the sidewalks covered where you live?

The op asked "Why do riders park their bikes on sidewalks at hotels?"
And then said some wise ass comment about a bike getting wet.

I believe most park their bikes where they perceive them to be the safest. And any twit who thinks a bikes locked cases are as safe as a locked car or that a bike is as difficult to steal as a car should continue to park in the dark among the cars and trucks. It will keep the thieves and idiots away from mine parked under the lights on the sidewalk.
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #93
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
What you see as disrespectful is actually a rider being polite by not taking up a whole parking space with a bike.
Exactly! Why being a jerk and take up a parking space a car could use when you might just as well park somewhere else, for example on the side walk?

As long as there is enough room to walk by, goes without saying.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #94
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
Exactly! Why being a jerk and take up a parking space a car could use when you might just as well park somewhere else, for example on the side walk?

As long as there is enough room to walk by, goes without saying.
Let me get this straight... Re-write the purpose of a parking space to read that its more considerate NOT to park there... while making up your own parking spot in an area that was not intended to be parked in?

That is some covert wizardry there!!

Isn't it just simpler to park between the two white lines like everyone else?

Like I said before, I'm not that special. And apparently I'm not as considerate as I thought... because the food I ate today probably could have gone to somebody else.

I guess I would believe the whole "I'm so considerate I don't take up parking spaces" crap if it ended up with you parking at the back of the lot
instead of by the front door. But when you end up with more convenient parking than the handicap spots... it doesn't wash...
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #95
judobiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
I used to always park my bike on the sidewalk, at the very end, at my business. My parking lot surface was sketchy, it kept my bike out of the blazing sun all day, and it saved parking for customers. Occasionally I'd have other riders park on the sidewalk right by the front door where people had to climb over it to get in the store. I would ask them to move it out of the way of other customers.

I never had an issue with cruisers. The 8" curb required too much ground clearance.
"How narrow and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it" (Matt 7:14)

'05 Bandit 1200, '01 DRZ400, '95DR125, '01 KDX200
judobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #96
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I have on occation parked on a sidewalk when invited to, or it was posted as OK by a business, but I find it very presumptive to do it on someone's private property without permission no matter how you justify it.

If you feel the need, ask permission, same as you would expect of others using your property.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #97
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post

I believe most park their bikes where they perceive them to be the safest. And any twit who thinks a bikes locked cases are as safe as a locked car or that a bike is as difficult to steal as a car should continue to park in the dark among the cars and trucks. It will keep the thieves and idiots away from mine parked under the lights on the sidewalk.
That pretty much sums it up!

1. I'm not a bike-thief, but if I were, I would go for the one out at the end of the parking lot hidden by cars, and/or in the darkness, with plenty of space to see someone approaching.

2. Or should I go for the one on the sidewalk, parked next to the room, under the light, 10' from the door, where within a split second, a door might open, and I might find a gun in my face, or a crowbar wrapped around my head.

Another thing to think about a lot of bikes have alarms, some are noisy, some are silent!

Where of the above scenarios would you want to be in, when you set one off? #1 or #2

It's not rocket science!

Now at the local Wal-Mart, I park mine around the side of the building on the sidewalk out of sight and out of mind. Not really worried about theft here, as I am not there that long for someone to case it out, besides Wee-Stroms are not real high on a Bike-thief's list. The cage drivers here can't park or drive for shit. If you park in a cage spot, one of these three things will happen,

1. Park in the middle or towards the front, a cage will whip in there and knock your bike over.

2. Park near the back of the spot as some have suggested, and a cage will back into it from an adjacent row and knock it over.

3. Your bike will become a giant magnet that attracts runaway shopping carts.

Oh and in both 1., and 2., the cage driver will haul ass and there will be no witnesses, except for a store employee who didn't think to get a plate #, and a grainy security camera that cannot even tell you what make of car much less model.

You really want to know how I know all this shit!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #98
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 408
The whole time I was reading this thread (with a certain level of "we are all suckers for posting here, lol" that may be uncalled for to be honest), I tried hard to recall a single case of obnoxious bike parking on sidewalks on my travels, and couldn't. Oh, I've seen several bikes parked up against some area where it was obvious they were gathering for a meet, and I have seen some big dressers lined up under the overhang taking up part of the lane in front of the entrance, but I never thought twice about it, even when I was caging it. I've been blasted by open pipe dudes who cranked up and left while I was sitting ON the sidewalk at a cafe, but that is a different story, lol. I don't recall thinking about it before I started riding bikes either, and my first real experience seeing it was at Bike Week in Daytona back in 74, and I suspect anyone would have been laughed at for asking someone why they parked as they did, lol.

I have parked on sidewalks on either side of the entrance of hotels all over the US, making sure there was room to get by, and having it covered so an errant handlebar couldn't be blamed for some incident, lol. I've jumped up onto the cement areas between the usual pillars holding up the overhang roof, getting my bike up away from cage traffic, always with permission and usually direction from mgmt. My bikes have always been too wide to get through the door, too, dangit, although at the YO Ranch in Kerrville they have nice little porches tucked up next to the room where I gladly put the bike and lock and cover it, with a big orange disc lock, too. :).

I've stayed at cottages where they had private sidewalks up to the front doors, nailed those down! I stayed at a Marriott Suites in Ft Worth once where I paid the valet 20 bucks a night to watch over my baby when I parked it in the yellow stripes area next to his booth (with permission) since it was several floors up and over to the room (I would pay money to see a bike in an elevator :)

I swear, I just cannot recall one single distasteful episode of a bike blocking my way, or my family's way, while on vacations for lo these many years.

I ride a BMW, do pivot reports several times a week, and I make sure there are no spots on my chrome before I start on a trip, but the only two things that really hack me off about people and bikers are 1) cagers/bikers who smoke right in front of the freakin hotel door, boooo! and believe I should have to walk through it and 2) Why does almost everyone on a motorcycle wave at me when we ride past one another!!!! Why do bikers wave at other bikers, dangit! I just don't understand!

Sorry, Stu, I poked a little fun, but you remind me of my friend at work who doesn't understand why other guys in trucks back into the parking spaces outside the office, instead of just driving in. It eats him up, lol. He just can't fathom it, and I think it is affecting his mental well-being...the other day he got huffy after he walked into our lunch meeting while we were watching a "Castle" episode some of us missed the night before (he got poisoned in the car), and later he "couldn't understand why we were yelling" when we yelled sit down and watch or leave but shut the heck up! :) Can you imagine??
Old 11-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #99
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,635
Some motels/hotels market their services to motorcyclists, as others already mentioned here. I went on a trip to the California Sierras this last June. When I arrived at the hotel, the hotel clerk, without my asking or prompting, apologized for not having a room with parking just outside the door, so she encouraged me to park on the sidewalk. When I got to the room, I realized the sidewalk was narrow, lined with bushes. If I parked there, I would block the cleaning staff's carts, and anyone needing to walk or transport something across the rooms. So I found an alternative.

Now, if it was wide enough for the bike and the cleaning cart, or a wheelchair, I would not have hesitated to park it on the sidewalk. Mostly for safety reasons, and also for convenience.

And I agree with others here, when driving a car, I've come to full parking lots, see an opening, drive there just to find a motorcycle in the middle of the spot. And I always think about why couldn't the rider have parked the bike somewhere, where they could take advantage of its smaller size, and leave the large spots for cars.

In the end, it is all about common sense. Right?

But something tells me you did not want to know the advantages and reasons for why people park their bikes in sidewalks in hotels, as I have a feeling, if you have traveled on motorcycle, you already know the many answers to that question.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #100
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
The only fail in your logic is he's talking about people parking in clearly marked no parking zones and this thread is titled "
Why do riders park their bikes on sidewalks at hotels?"
(where I have never seen a no parking sign and have been told many times by management to go ahead and park).

Let me guess, judging by your poor reading comprehension and eagerness to display your limited intelligence, bmw?
Who are you, the thread police? If so you have failed miserably.

There are at least 2,000 other threads that have gone slightly off topic but still have something in common with the original post, like this one.

Then, there are 10,000 more that have jumped the tracks, crashed and burned! The best place to start getting threads back on track would be in Jo Momma, not the perfect line. Let us know how it goes!

Its still parking in spots they should not be parking in...A loading zone is(without having to spell it out to most folks with half a brain) a "no parking" zone.

Also, while I'm here, lets see those signs you mentioned that say to park on the sidewalk. I've never seen or heard of one. Folks, South of you maybe, "park" in "parking" lots.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #101
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post
I guess I would believe the whole "I'm so considerate I don't take up parking spaces" crap if it ended up with you parking at the back of the lot
instead of by the front door. But when you end up with more convenient parking than the handicap spots... it doesn't wash...

Doesn't matter if I rode the bike or took my truck, a space is a space. I've never seen cars lined up out of parking lots where people are waiting for a space to open up...

Some people feel they are too important to abide by simple rules.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #102
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
I ride a BMW, do pivot reports several times a week, and I make sure there are no spots on my chrome before I start on a trip, but the only two things that really hack me off about people and bikers are 1) cagers/bikers who smoke right in front of the freakin hotel door, boooo! and believe I should have to walk through it and 2) Why does almost everyone on a motorcycle wave at me when we ride past one another!!!! Why do bikers wave at other bikers, dangit! I just don't understand!
They are just being friendly, probably letting you know that they'll give you a helping hand when your final drive grenades.

If you don't want to wave back, don't.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #103
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Who are you, the thread police? If so you have failed miserably.

There are at least 2,000 other threads that have gone slightly off topic but still have something in common with the original post, like this one.

Then, there are 10,000 more that have jumped the tracks, crashed and burned! The best place to start getting threads back on track would be in Jo Momma, not the perfect line. Let us know how it goes!

Its still parking in spots they should not be parking in...A loading zone is(without having to spell it out to most folks with half a brain) a "no parking" zone.

Also, while I'm here, lets see those signs you mentioned that say to park on the sidewalk. I've never seen or heard of one. Folks, South of you maybe, "park" in "parking" lots.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #104
Travex
Lost is found

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
In the end, it is all about common sense. Right?
'nuf said.

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #105
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
I figured this to be a common practice (at least around my parts), guess not.
you'd stand a good chance of getting a ticket, or even your bike towed, for it around here.

...which sucks if you aren't in anyone's way. if you aren't, like you said, it's better for everyone to not take up a designated space. but, "common sense" doesn't mean squat to the ticket writers around here...

just something to keep in mind for those who are used to parking their bikes in non-designated parking spots but go to another part of the country/world (it may or may not be cool there).
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote