Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
dimkick OP
Kokopelo

Oddometer: 21
Ride This Way (LA---Argentina) weeee!

Hi Adventure Riders!
I've been silently stalking on these pages for the most part, gaining wisdom from all of you here, and so wanted to thank everyone for the inspiration and knowledge about this beautiful art called riding the world by moto!

I wanted to share with all of you my upcoming trip that I've been planning and mostly dreaming about for a while now, it's a trip from LA (home) through Mexico, Central and South America all the way to Argentina. I'll be riding my BMW f650 GS and my buddy Andres, a 2003 KLR650. We are leaving December 1st to make it there in good time for summer.

I created a blogsite at www.ridethisway.com for the sake of sharing our adventure with everyone, and am treating this not just as a motorcycle thing but also as an Art project and a minimalist lifestyle on the road. I'm actually getting rid of mostly everything that I own in order to not attach myself to one place. That means no rent, no storage unit..All i'll have is everything that fits on two wheels. (And this has been a bit difficult I must say, but at the same time, quite liberating).
We plan to make videos, documenting this trip and of course we'll take a ton of photos as well as write about our experience, so please do tune in.
The website is still somewhat under development, but it should soon have everything that I initially wanted it to have. There's also a facebook page that gets more regular attention at this time: www.facebook.com/ridethisway.

I'm an artist and this project, this adventure is meant to inspire others similar to how advrider.com has inspired me to hit the road. This will be my second long distance trip. After my trek up to Alaska and back last year, I got hooked on seeing the world and wanted to make it part of my lifestyle.

And so, I want to ask you all for your support and advice. I've started an Indiegogo campaign trying to raise some funding to offset gas/survival expenses, as I plan on being jobless on the road for quite sometime. My outlooks are always positive, but I'm planning for the worst just in case, and any monetary support, advice or other input that you offer will be greatly appreciated. If we get more money or sponsorship, we were thinking to really take our time and create a film by the end of this thing...but we'll need better gear of course.

I really love this community and am proud to be a member! If there's anyone that may be crossing paths with us between December and April, I'd love to have you join along with us. Thanks to all of you for helping make this dream a reality.

peace,
dim

dimkick screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 12:25 AM Reason: wanted to add a picture :)
dimkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 811
This should be posted in " Trip Planning" for more exposure.

Lots of good info in this RR.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...0#post19822390

Good Luck and Safe Travels.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
dimkick OP
Kokopelo

Laugh

Thanks for redirecting me, ill def read that post
Old 11-12-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
AdakTriumph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Is this ride still going to happen, not much activity. Would be interested in tagging along from LA to San Diego. My dad lives in Burbank and I live in San Diego, so i make the route all the time. Let me know whats going on.
AdakTriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
saritaymike
2-up on a KLR!

Oddometer: 16
Timeline?

Hey Dim

Great to see another adventurer take to the road! Wondering what your timeline will be like to arrive in Argentina- will it take you a year to get there? December is actually Summer down there, and you won't want to be riding through Patagonia in winter with those winds!

I'm from Buenos Aires, but lived in LA for a long time- out on the road now, as a matter of fact, with my lady doing the Prudhoe to Ushuaia trip for a second time! Feel free to check out my blog, though it's not too informative for travelers (mostly just for friends and family to catch pics and such.)

Let me know if you need any advice, and have a blast!

Michael

www.motoroots.com
Old 11-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
dimkick OP
Kokopelo

Hi, sorry ive been off this thing..hmm, is there a way to make it so ADVRider email me everytime someone responds to this feed specifically? I'm new here and haven't figured too much out yet.

YES the trip is still on..and OMG, how time flies! Everything leading up to our departure time which is still December 1st (im not sure how thats gonna happen with my buddy who still has sooo much stuff to get rid of)..Any musicians out there that need a music studio full of gear??!..

So last week I decided to call BMW and ask them to send me a "permission" letter allowing me to cross borders without having a title (since im still leasing my yellow beamer with $8k more to go)..then I find out a little technical detail that I must have looked over before...They dont give this letter beyond Mexico and Canada, and it's only good for 30 days anyhow. Shit!

Now I need to find $8k, pay off the bike, get the title, still pay $$$ to get BMW side cases, skid plate, engine guards, photon cannons and tractor beam! A $10k loan wasn't something I was planning with 3 weeks before the trip?
I jumped on Craigslist with a quickness and after 20 minutes of research hooked up with someone selling a '07 KLR 650..fully equipped with all the stuff that I planned on purchasing for my previous horse...and I managed to get this machine for $3600, after selling my car the day before...The timing and coincidence of it all..or maybe as they say, "if there's a will, there's a way!" The trip is still a go!!!

There are still lists and lists of things to do..as I pack up this old way of life and prepare for living in motion..Yes, we plan to take it slow down to Argentina, maybe at a pace of 4-6 months. Now, I'm only going to have a around $3k to my name, if I dont spend much more of it on gear, camping junk and what not..how long will that last me realistically?

I did manage to get a job illustrating comics on the road every week, a gig I could do from my laptop, but that requires a wifi signal..so I'm hoping to find that to keep some money coming in. We've also been pan handling from friends and supporters via http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ri...-way/x/5145713 (but that would just cover Gas I imagine)..
Been trying to score some free stuff/sponsorship from a few places, but that's proven kinda fruitless so far. Needless to say, there's so much more to do and I'll do my best to keep writing updates here and on www.ridethisway.com.

AdakTriumph, definitely come along towards San Diego with us..hell, come over to my going away party too (SATURDAY Nov 15th). Here's the invite if you get this in time, https://www.facebook.com/events/1931...ilter=calendar.

Michael, not sure exactly the timeline...but the longer the better Im guessing. We estimated to be there around March..but everything is different in reality I guess..I'll keep posting more as I figure it out!

Thanks for the feedback, lookin forward to more!
Old 11-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,048
I had no idea you could lease motorcycles.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
saritaymike
2-up on a KLR!

Oddometer: 16
timeline

yeah, March will make it a pretty good pace, and it's getting cold in the South by then- just to keep in mind. On the plus side there will be less tourists running around! Hit us up if you run into questions along the way, as we're a few months ahead of you… Crossing into Colombia this week. Great choice on the KLR, by the way. Always liked the '07… Good luck!

BTW: go to Thread Tools and Subscribe with e-mail notifications.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
dimkick OP
Kokopelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I had no idea you could lease motorcycles.
My bad, I meant, financing it.

Here's a pic of my new monster, "Dragónito negro"

saritaymike, Wanted to ask how the roads are, any flats? I'm looking into getting some kevlar lining on the inside of my tires, heard that helps prevent getting annoying punctures. And since these are tubes, I cant easily plug the tire like I could with my previous bike.

Any hassle from authorities, or pretend-authorities that just want to rob you? I just keep hearing the same thing from a few people again and again on how dangerous riding down south is these days. Not that that's going to deter my travel plans..but perhaps I should reconsider bringing my Machete for instance.

thanks for the advice and good luck thru Columbia!
Old 12-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
dimkick OP
Kokopelo

Departure date JAN 1

Decided to spend some time with family over the holidays and put off the trip til Jan 1st..in the meantime, prepping some practice runs and finalizing routes south!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
dimkick OP
Kokopelo

Heading out in a few days

My buddy decides he isn't ready yet and might not be ready for...who knows..months perhaps. So I'm off in a few days, heading to San Diego and then into Arizona to enter Mexico via Tucson. Planning my routes and getting the last of my equipment to ride solo. Perhaps we will meet somewhere over the border, i'll be taking my time getting across.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #12
rmw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Dim,

Glad to see you have decided to venture on. please post your travels here on ADV so we can share the journey. I am looking forward to seeing pictures along the way. The bike looks ready to fulfill its destiny. Best of luck and please ride safe.

Ron
rmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #13
dimkick OP
Kokopelo

Bike Loaded and I'm Off to San Diego

I've packed up my life in LA and set off for San Diego. I am going to Argentina solo, the adventure begins!
I'll be staying in San Diego for a few days with some friends and then head East towards Tucson Arizona. Bike seems heavy and parking it on a hill is a bitch without a center stand, so I ordered one to arrive in Tucson and wait for me until I get there by Monday Feb 10th. I plan to stick around town for a day and then head south into Nogales. I'll be posting my adventure on www.ridethisway.com.

Here's a fun video for you to check out! My cargo that I plan on bringing with me on the road! Til next time...
Old 02-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #14
dimkick OP
Kokopelo

LA to Diego

Loaded my bike...then reloaded it again..the beast was heavy when I left Los Angeles Wednesday evening..hit rush hour traffic heading south on the 5 Freeway. I didn't mind the slow pace, gave me a chance to calibrate myself to the KLR, fully packed.
I call her Little Dragon, or "Dragonito Negro." Enchanted her with a bit of spray paint and some Orthodox Iconography. The old Gods and the new will guide my way and keep me company.

After delay upon delay, February was the month that I decided I would venture outwards. Andres could not join me after all, he had a family situation to tend to. Perhaps in a few months he'll be able to jump on his bike and join me somewhere along the way..for now I venture outwards solo.

There's nothing like an adventure on your own..I'm not complaining whatsoever. Back in 2012 I rode up north up through Canada, the Yukon and into Alaska. I feel I can do the mileage on my own again, this time southward. Besides, the world seems to throw a different set of nuances at those who venture foolishly alone into the unknown. I could ascribe it to an aura that I'd term "ignorant bliss." As long as one does not bring fear with them upon their trip..there is no need for that old relic.

50 miles out of the city as I'm blasting in the carpool lane and my gas runs out. Not yet used to fiddling with my reserve switch, on the left side of the bike. I'll get the hang of it eventually..but in the meantime...here I was halted on the side at night, with traffic blasting by. Pulled over, turned the switch, yet still she would not start....
Hmmm..
I didn't think to fill the extra gas can either...not until I'd reach the border I figured. Well here I was, stuck!
I look back and notice traffic seemed to slow somewhat..and then I notice strobes..a copper weaving back and forth across all lanes. Not even 15 minutes passed and there he was stopping traffic for this motorcycling idiot. Ha!
The guy directed me through his megaphone..."Get to the right side of the highway!" And I charged with my bike across the lanes and parked it farther off away from maddness. Traffic resumed it's flow. I told the cop "I'm outta gas." He said there's a Chevron not too far ahead. I suddenly remembered, that this bike's reserve tank was located on the right side somewhat..and I needed to tilt the bike, in order for the flow of gas to do its thing. I tilted..and Rowr Rowr! She started purring! Ah..adventure.
At the gas station I noticed my left handlebar lost a screw..must be the vibrations.

Didn't have one long enough to fit..so I ziptied the loose hand guard and figured I'd find a spare one when I hit San Diego.

The wind was picking up and it was chilly for the next hour. I took it slow, I'll try avoiding driving at night when I can.

In San Diego for a few days. The rain might keep me here til Tuesday morning. I'll be heading East towards Tucson. Ordered a Center Stand to arrive at one of the shops there..the Dragon won't sit straight on anything but a straight road with this load, the moody thing.

WWW.RIDETHISWAY.COM

dimkick screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 06:42 PM Reason: image corrections
Old 02-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #15
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Oh, yeah, this is a KLR ride report!

Rode my KLR from Mendoza to San Juan, Argentina (again), today. It was only 102F, not the 106F it was a month ago when I last came through here.

Finally on my way toward Salta and the Salar!

I hope OP gets in the Murphy's Law mindset and puts these trivial learning experiences behind him.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote