Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #361
MJZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlim66 View Post
Sorry, no TPM on the S1R. It helped me out a few times on my GSA when I got a nail and would have been nice to have on the R.

Cheers,
Schlim66

PS. I traded in my 2011 RR for my white R and I'm quite happy with my choice
I stand corrected, I just assumed that one since my 11 F800R has it and it has come in very handy.
2014 BMW S1000R
MJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #362
jejtastic
creep

Oddometer: 14
Picked up a white one last Saturday. I can easily say it's the smoothest and most refined machine I've ridden thus far. What I can't vouch for is how long I'll be able to keep my license...

2014 BMW S1000R
2012 KTM 690 Enduro R (supermoto!)
jejtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #363
Lunatik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
I have a 13 HP4 competition ... Bought for as intended... RACE TRACK use. On the STREET it's retarded (or I'm not 19 anymore??). On track is stellar!
About 2 weeks ago, I traded in my 2012 K1600GTL (which I loved but never really rode, and I'm not sure why) for the GSAW in white and loaded...
I had to have this bike back (after selling my 09 GSA for the K16 to take my daughter across Canada on).
My contribution here is simple if you will bear with me....
The same day we picked up the GSAW ... We ALSO traded my wife's 2013 F800R for a loaded WHITE S1000r ...
I can't really give you my accurate riding impression of my GSAW ... As it's only got maybe 300 km on it, it works great for sure..
I cannot get OFF my wife's S1000R !!!
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS MOTORCYCLE !
I too, having owned a race prepped 2009 S1000RR ... Now an HP4, thought "why neuter the motor"?? All I can say is "Go ride one"!!
It has power everywhere, and a shift assist Roll on shifting at 12,000 RPM will have you laughing your head off in your helmet (OR pissing and shitting your pants, depending on your riding experience).
It is a monster in that bike, even at at "Dyno TESTED STOCK" 152.52hp (170hp at motor) on HINDLES DYNO, and I'm left KNOWING "you could NOT have put any more power into it" it's completely over the "top".
The DDS is fantastic, I actually like it due to it's ease of use over the MEGA adjustable HP4's set up.... Which is confusing even for a suspension oriented type guy like myself.
It just plain WORKS. At a stop light I was clicking through SOFT, NORMAL and HARD ... While bouncing the bike... It's easily noticeable changes, and back road blasting on it in DYNAMIC PRO mode on HARD is equal if not better than my HP4 in that environment due to the riding position.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this bike, brutally FASSST, and I have added Marchesini forged wheels (my track wheels for my HP4) and slipped the stock rubber on them, and Lange HINDLE fitted the bike with a new system for it (it was a bit different in the mid pipe than the S1RR system, so I have (damn ... MY WIFE HAS) the first prototype HINDLE EVOLUTION exhaust system on HER S1000R....
I need my own I think ...
One bad note is the GEAR INDICATOR goes out at times, and if you have cruise on, it DROPS it off!! That must be fixed, it happens only on the highway, twice to me, 3 times to my wife...
The dealership has been notified, probably a reflashed required, it could be my change of two more teeth on the forged wheels that is tripping it off ... Not sure yet.

I have owed many bikes, this bike hands down kills my old #1 bike, 2008 S4RS TRICOLORE MONSTER 1000 in LOVE appeal ... My wife concurs too...
IBA #39165
Ride like a Knob, and you'll die
2013 BMW HP4 COMPETITION #2757
2014 BMW R1200GS ADVENTURE
2014 BMW S1000R
Lunatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #364
MJZ
Gnarly Adventurer

I decided to trade my F800R today for a S1000R. I've got to say the F800R is my favorite bike of all time for street / canyon riding. Very hard to part with but I loved my RR which I sold last year due to my old age my body couldn't take it anymore. When I sold it I bought a 2013 Tuono and I really like it but I couldn't exercise any self control when it comes to the S1000R, just have to have one. I'm going to let the F800R go and keep both the Tuono and the S1000R, for a while anyway.
2014 BMW S1000R

MJZ screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 08:50 AM Reason: fat fingers
Old 05-07-2014, 01:57 AM   #365
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,533
Some damn good feedback. Keep 'em coming.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:17 AM   #366
-GUV-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJZ View Post
I bought a 2013 Tuono and I really like it but I couldn't exercise any self control
I too had the V4 Tuono, loved it and your right about needing self control, I just wanted to wring its neck every time I rode it. I've done about 3,500 km on the S1000R and I'm finding I tend to cruise around on it without drawing as much attention to myself, but when required it provides just as much entertainment just without the sweet symphony of the V4.
-GUV- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #367
NCGS
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 1,177
[QUOTE=TuonoBiker;24018173]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtneer View Post

I'm bummed I don't see the Tuono on that list.

No dealer network within a reasonable distance from the house. I love Tuonos, but I can't take a chance on one, since it's nearly a 400 mile round trip.

Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many.
NCGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:57 AM   #368
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,674
[QUOTE=NCGS;24121380]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post

No dealer network within a reasonable distance from the house. I love Tuonos, but I can't take a chance on one, since it's nearly a 400 mile round trip.
I have a dealer with a '13 Tuono for under 12 like two blocks away.....

....the only thing keeping me from snapping the damn thing up is the fuel range.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:59 AM   #369
MJZ
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Tripped1;24124838]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGS View Post

....the only thing keeping me from snapping the damn thing up is the fuel range.
You got that right, the best I've gotten out of a tank was 93 miles. That was on fumes as the fuel light had been on for about 20 miles.
2014 BMW S1000R
Old 05-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #370
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Local dealer has a white and blue ... but not demo for another week. Can't wait to ride this thing.... sat on it a bit more and feels pretty good but the ride will be the key.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #371
rudk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork-Chop Express View Post
apessino,
Can you post a link to those videos? The only euro magazine comparisons I've seen are the ones from 1000PS and MCN. I wouldn't say in either of those comparisons the SDR loses big time. In fact in the MCN review it comes in ahead of the BMW but behind the Aprilia Tuono because they like the flexibility of the Tuono's electronics better. In the 1000PS review the say the BMW is the safer, better overall value but the SDR is the bike to buy if you only have one ride left in life. Also, every review I've read so far says the SDR fuels very well. Maybe not as well as the BMW but leagues better than the old 990 and most other performance twins for that matter. Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy them both but I can't wait to try them both because I think they're both going to be amazing bikes.

Thanks.
People pay way too much attention to what's written in these mag reviews/shootouts/comparisons etc..

I've stopped to buy ANY motorcycle magazine 16 years ago. Especially german magazines and in particular EVERYTHING from the german "Motor Presse Stuttgart", i.e. "Motorrad", "PS" etc.
Worthless bullshit write-up's for the most part. New bike comes out, everyghing is favourable, four months later the reviews suddenly get a bit worse, and eight months later the bike is a POS, especially if it's a shootout against a BMW.
The exact same scheme, year in, year out.

If you're intrested in some bikes you have to do the reviews/comparisons yourself. Go to a dealership and ride the damn thing. Of course if you don't have the opportunity to do so you'll have to rely on reviews etc. - but then again, if you can wait a couple of months places like ADV etc. will give you better and way more detailed reviews of a particular bike than every motorcycle magazine.

In my opinion the only moto jouro/reviewer that was really worth reading here in Europe was Kevin Ash, may he rest in peace.
rudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #372
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,360
Does anyone know if the S1000R brake controller/ecu is the same (or same family) as the Bosch unit in the KTM 1190?

I'm asking because with all the rave reviews the MSC (Motorcycle Stability Control) is getting, I'd like an idea of the possibility/feasibility of having it be something that can be added to to the bike (as it was for the 2013 1190 Adventures).
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #373
MJZ
Gnarly Adventurer

I have 2 different suppliers telling me levers for the new R are the same as the RR levers and another supplier saying they are wrong, the R is a different lever from the RR. Anyone changed theirs and know?
2014 BMW S1000R
Old 05-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #374
Optimus Prime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
This bike is on my radar.

Not enough twisty roads around here for it, but the magic suspension and motor are appealing. Plus the cruise makes it seem much more tourable. I've got an RT now, and I want a more visceral experience.

Optimus Prime screwed with this post 05-12-2014 at 12:16 PM
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #375
-GUV-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJZ View Post
I have 2 different suppliers telling me levers for the new R are the same as the RR levers and another supplier saying they are wrong, the R is a different lever from the RR. Anyone changed theirs and know?
Have a look over here.

http://www.s1000r.co.uk/index.php/topic,116.0.html
-GUV- is offline   Reply With Quote