Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #46
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,872
I love the 'gilled' look on the bodywork of BMW's, however. Puts me in mind of a shark!
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #47
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
I'm surprised they dropped the power as much as they did. The '14 Tuono is jumped up to around 170 I believe. I'm sort of digging the new BMW though...

I loves the nekkid class....perfect sport bikes, IMO.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #48
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
I never really liked the look of the s1000rr. The performance is great, but part of buying a sport bike for me is the look and the feel. I think they did a great job with this one, somehow all that goofy bmw styling seems to work with limited bodywork. This looks like a great real world sport bike, the power will be more that enough for mortals. Like others have said -- lots of good options in this class now. If I was in the market I would wait for the EBR offering and then decide and jump in. Seems like the golden age for naked bikes, with the Z100O, SDR1290, 1200 monster, S1000R, tuono, brutale, upcoming EBR... I just picked up an RC8R or I'd be all over one of these.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #49
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,090
I would like to try that kit but I'll cut down the bar as much as possible to ease lane spliting and not block the view of my mirrors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
Been considering this kit for mine. Comes with front brake line extension and looks easy to install

http://www.spieglerusa.com/handlebar...n-kit-4246.htm

hate to break up the profile though

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #50
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,409
from an aesthetic/design standpoint, it does nothing for me, just another superbike with less plastic and a handlebar. will it most likely be an incredible road bike? absolutely. that thing is going to go like stink in the canyons.

nice job, BMW!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #51
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,647
want....
Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #52
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,461
Had me right up to the "retuned" engine part. Seriously, fuck that. Aprilia gets that you don't have to neuter a sportbike to make a standard. Ducati is starting to get it. Why can't BMW just put the same RR engine in there and leave it at that? What's gained by putting in less motor?
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #53
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
Had me right up to the "retuned" engine part. Seriously, fuck that. Aprilia gets that you don't have to neuter a sportbike to make a standard. Ducati is starting to get it. Why can't BMW just put the same RR engine in there and leave it at that? What's gained by putting in less motor?
It is not neutered and it sure isn't "less motor," it is the same motor tuned for more low/mids, more torque, easier acceleration - you know, the stuff that matters most everywhere except on the racetrack. The R delivers MORE power for 3/4 of the band, when the RR takes off and says goodbye.

It is a more street/canyon oriented bike. I would guess that most street riders will go quicker on the R than the RR.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #54
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
I hear you. I always liked the Aprilia's for that. The V4 Tuono started out de-tuned, but has slowly ramped up...they always had more mid-range torque in their tuning, however...which is perfect for a street-fighting sport bike. Much over 120mph on a naked is a test of grip strength overcoming wind drag....
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #55
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
They did exactly what a naked roadster requires - turned a peaky hp motor into more of a broad torque curve motor. at a loss of, what, exactly in real-world terms? Hell that thing should be faster in almost any standard road bike test, 0-60, top gear roll on 60-80. Around 60 lb-ft of torque starting at 3k RPM? Yes please!

When the power might begin to matter above 120 the R is hamstrung by aerodynamics. Well worth it for a more rideable bike, and I wouldn't be surprised if the R is electronically speed limited anyway.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #56
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,461
Please show me a dyno comparison that shows that this "re-tuned" motor makes more torque than the RR motor. I've heard this BS argument for years, and have yet, do date, ever seen one of these detuned engines that produced more torque than the full power version. They might make a flatter curve, and that might make it easier to ride for some people, but I've yet to see one that made more of anything than the stock motor.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #57
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Please show me a dyno comparison that shows that this "re-tuned" motor makes more torque than the RR motor. I've heard this BS argument for years, and have yet, do date, ever seen one of these detuned engines that produced more torque than the full power version. They might make a flatter curve, and that might make it easier to ride for some people, but I've yet to see one that made more of anything than the stock motor.
Try the first page of this very thread...
Old 11-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #58
Omarius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Is the gearing similar to the S1000RR?

I suspect that because the redline is lower, they'll have to gear it longer for it to hit the equivalent speeds per gear. I think the longer gearing would negate the additional torque.
Omarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #59
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,364
Quote:
Pretty much.

Guys are taking Daytona 675 cams and putting them on the "re-tuned" street triples. Result, at no point from 0-redline did the stock street triple cam make more power than the daytona cams. It was close at like 4 grand.

This is usually the case, it certainly was when I rebuilt my Speed Triple with Daytona parts, to the tune of 7-9hp and 8-9ft/lbs from 4000 RPM plus.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #60
Sindarin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarius View Post
Is the gearing similar to the S1000RR?
Same as S1000RR, 17/45.

Doesn't mean transmission gearing is the same although I would imagine it is.
Sindarin is offline   Reply With Quote