Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #16
Southmt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I don't have any tracks, I used Benchmark maps, which are a whole big book for one state. The book fit in the pannier great, and I cut and folded pages for the map pocket on the tank bag.

PM me for details of the route if you want. If there's enough interest I could write it up.

Bob

PS, MountainsandRivers, Speedweek is almost TOO big. I've done World of Speed before, it's in Sept., cooler, still lots of crazy stuff, and (I thought) more fun. http://www.southmtpages.com/p_bv09_1.htm and http://www.southmtpages.com/p_bv10_1.htm Street bike RR's..... not in as nice of a format as here, so you hafta work your way down to the Bonneville stuff.

Southmt screwed with this post 11-06-2013 at 05:56 PM Reason: Added Bonneville links
Southmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #17
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,730
Bob, what kind of panniers are you using on the KLR? Look great!

Was the road over Lookout Pass in good shape?
Old 11-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #18
acidman1968
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Loved the RR!!!

I didn't get my KLR until last year (I've wanted one for a LONG time), so I haven't ridden all the roads you went on - but I've driven many of them in a truck. Moki Dugway, VOTG, Monument Valley...

...and of course, down through Eureka, Vernon, over Lookout Pass and the area around Dugway and up Skull Valley.

I've lived in Tooele for the last 15 years and have yet to go to Speed Week - probably because it's just too damn hot out there on the salt flats.

As an FYI (because you're probably familiar with the place, having been stationed at Dugway way back when), that fire on the west slope of the Stansbury Mountains near Terra ended up wiping out several homes, as well as the Willow Springs Lodge on the Dugway side of Johnson Pass. It took awhile for the firefighters to get that one under control - it even went over the top of the Stansburys and into the top of East Hickman Canyon before it was done.

If you're ever back in the Tooele area, shoot me a PM and if I'm not working, we could hit up a few of the dirt roads in the Oquirrh Mountains. Depending on the time of year, there are several cool areas to check out!
acidman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #19
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Simply outstanding! I loved reading your report and felt like I was "almost" there in some of your shots. Thanks.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
magicmark1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Loved the report! Did you get to make a run on hte salt flats? I think thats one of my life goals, I wana get to race my car and top it out on the salt flats...
magicmark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #21
Southmt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Bob, what kind of panniers are you using on the KLR? Look great!

Was the road over Lookout Pass in good shape?
They were on the bike when I got it from JB, look like Happy Trails Cascade or Teton. I can't tell for sure. First thing I did was remount them as far back and high as I could. They were real leg-breakers. Now they work ok, just keep in mind how big of a dab you can do.

Love the top-loading, don't have to hold stuff up and slam the door.... and they are fantastic protection if one should ever lay their bike over it its side, not that I'd ever do that.

The road over Lookout was passenger-car grade.

Bob
Old 11-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #22
Southmt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmark1 View Post
Loved the report! Did you get to make a run on hte salt flats? I think thats one of my life goals, I wana get to race my car and top it out on the salt flats...
No run, I needed to get back home.... on the same bike. But riding on the salt was a trip. My personal psyche isn't suited for top-end-see-what-she'll-do runs.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #23
Southmt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidman1968 View Post
Loved the RR!!!

I didn't get my KLR until last year (I've wanted one for a LONG time), so I haven't ridden all the roads you went on - but I've driven many of them in a truck. Moki Dugway, VOTG, Monument Valley...

...and of course, down through Eureka, Vernon, over Lookout Pass and the area around Dugway and up Skull Valley.

I've lived in Tooele for the last 15 years and have yet to go to Speed Week - probably because it's just too damn hot out there on the salt flats.

As an FYI (because you're probably familiar with the place, having been stationed at Dugway way back when), that fire on the west slope of the Stansbury Mountains near Terra ended up wiping out several homes, as well as the Willow Springs Lodge on the Dugway side of Johnson Pass. It took awhile for the firefighters to get that one under control - it even went over the top of the Stansburys and into the top of East Hickman Canyon before it was done.

If you're ever back in the Tooele area, shoot me a PM and if I'm not working, we could hit up a few of the dirt roads in the Oquirrh Mountains. Depending on the time of year, there are several cool areas to check out!
Thanks! I appreciate knowing what that fire did. That's a LONG ways up that mountain and over the top. It wasn't rippin', but would (was) very difficult to stop. When I was there, there was no Terra, just the bar at the bottom of the pass.

Yeah, I bet there are some cool rides in the Oquirrh's. I'll PM you, I'm thinking of World of Speed (Sept.) next year. Yeah, it was hot in August

Southmt screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 07:09 PM Reason: VOTG= Valley of the Gods, duh.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #24
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southmt View Post
They were on the bike when I got it from JB, look like Happy Trails Cascade or Teton. I can't tell for sure. First thing I did was remount them as far back and high as I could. They were real leg-breakers. Now they work ok, just keep in mind how big of a dab you can do.

Love the top-loading, don't have to hold stuff up and slam the door.... and they are fantastic protection if one should ever lay their bike over it its side, not that I'd ever do that.

The road over Lookout was passenger-car grade.

Bob
Thanks Bob!

The number of fires you saw on this ride is crazy!
Old 11-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #25
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Great report SMt. That's some serious mileage. Maybe you'll save some time and miles for the mountains on your next trip. Seems you've an appreciation for the vast and desolate. You might like Grassy Mtn out by Delle (great 90 mile views across salt flats and Great Salt Lake) as well as the Stansburys and Oquirrhs. Acidman mentioned Hickman canyon which is beautiful country on the east Stansburys.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....87&postcount=2
If you take an interest in the local history look up Bill Hickman. He and several others (Porter Rockwell, Jacob Hamblin) seemed able to cover this country on horses better than we ever will on bikes.

Here's another guy that was posted at Dugway a few years before you:
http://www.amazon.com/This-What-Hell.../dp/B00EP6B5TK

I'm up for rides if you and Acidman make it happen next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southmt View Post
Thanks! I appreciate knowing what that fire did. That's a LONG ways up that mountain and over the top. It wasn't rippin', but would (was) very difficult to stop. When I was there, there was no Terra, just the bar at the bottom of the pass.

Yeah, I bet there are some cool rides in the Oquirrh's. I'll PM you, I'm thinking of World of Speed (Sept.) next year. Yeah, it was hot in August
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #26
Southmt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
Great report SMt. That's some serious mileage. Maybe you'll save some time and miles for the mountains on your next trip. Seems you've an appreciation for the vast and desolate. You might like Grassy Mtn out by Delle (great 90 mile views across salt flats and Great Salt Lake) as well as the Stansburys and Oquirrhs. Acidman mentioned Hickman canyon which is beautiful country on the east Stansburys.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....87&postcount=2
If you take an interest in the local history look up Bill Hickman. He and several others (Porter Rockwell, Jacob Hamblin) seemed able to cover this country on horses better than we ever will on bikes.

Here's another guy that was posted at Dugway a few years before you:
http://www.amazon.com/This-What-Hell.../dp/B00EP6B5TK

I'm up for rides if you and Acidman make it happen next year.
Thanks! Great writeup about the Stansburys... I went hiking up there once, but never exploring or learning the country. I stayed down in the valley, on my extremely hot (butchered) AT125 Yamaha motocrosser/desert bike.

So much country, so little time....

I definitely need to get that "This Is What Hell Looks Like" book. Funny, umpteen years later, I'm working with EOD folks at a national labs and they sometimes do work out at Dugway.

Southmt screwed with this post 11-09-2013 at 08:23 PM
Old 11-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #27
Southmt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Thanks Bob!

The number of fires you saw on this ride is crazy!
Yup, pretty weird. I especially liked getting up close to the one at Lookout Pass, and seeing the slurry drops. Left it out of the RR, but I've seen a B-17, Flying Boxcar, and TBM torpedo bomber all doing drops. Quite a thrill. They're museum pieces now.

The crew trickled in, and I went over and told them I'd done that 'way back when but had never seen tools like they had... a guy gave me a "crow's foot", looked useful to me. Then the crew suddenly left. Different tools, but they were still up there most of the night doing grunt work by headlamp. Probably wondering when they'd eat again. I don't think that'll ever change.

But I want you to know, NONE of the fires were my fault. Really.

Southmt screwed with this post 11-09-2013 at 08:07 PM
Old 11-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #28
cheesewhiz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Bravo!
Old 11-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #29
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Really nice RR. I like your camping spots, some really nice places to spend the night before riding again. The hogsback road is really tough when the wind is howling. Was on that one about 10 years ago, wasn't sure I was going to make it with out getting blown off the bike, or off the road on the bike.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #30
Satchl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
You think he pulled out in front of bike?

Satchl is offline   Reply With Quote