Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
FormerOilhead OP
Old Fart: IBA# 5819

Oddometer: 19
Eh? AeroStich backorders and delivery delays?

Just wanting to compare notes to see if anyone else is having problems with AeroStich delivery time.
I ordered my suit mid January 2014. Here it is the middle of April and as of today there is still no eta.
I was told that because I ordered a grey suit, and grey is their most popular color they are experiencing long lead times.
Quite frankly that doesn't sit right with me. AeroStich running out of their most popular color fabric is like McDonalds' running out of french fries.
I mean its not like they don't have a track record with building grey suits.
This is my third suit from them and something doesn't smell right.

Anyone else?

FormerOilhead screwed with this post 04-12-2014 at 08:20 AM
FormerOilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
PDaddy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
You're not alone. Ordered January 2nd, received last week. They did call me a couple of times to let me know they were having trouble with the grey material. One batch was delayed and one was of unacceptable quality from their supplier (or something like that). Sounds like the material is in now and they're catching up.
PDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
FormerOilhead OP

Well....looks like their story is consistent.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,864
A few years back they had customer concerns with the gray fabric that had a green tint...............some made it a big deal here at ADV. They most likely were trying avoid that again.........
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
Velocifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Talking

I was at a Burger King that ran out if burger patties....
Old 04-14-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
jbhawley
WTF- Gus?

Oddometer: 424
Somewhat related...
I was at the Aerostich Pop-Up in Raleigh NC last week looking to replace my very worn RC onsey. I was able to spend quite a bit of time taking to Lynn who was very knowledgeable of the ins and outs or Aerostich...more so than any of the others that were working at the pop-up. Anyhoooo....

During our discussions, Lynn stated that all the mfg is coming back to Duluth. You may know/recall that for the past couple years Aerostich outsourced the mfg of the RC-Light/ultraligh suits to Vietnam. Since the conception of the RC3 line up, all mfg of their suits is now US/Duluth based.

I guess this also has something to do with the slow turn-around times on suits with all colors. Plus re-tooling for the RC3 line up of suits, etc, etc. I think you may have ordered your suit at a time when all obstacles came to fruition at the same time: material snafu, re-tooling for new suits, adding more mfg to the current suit builders/seamsters.

Lynn even hinted that Aerostich was looking to hire more sewing folks since they have added more mfg. It seems that not many people have the trade skills to do this type of industrial sewing or want to learn so the folks they have on staff have an added load.

Hey Obama! READ > a small business adding jobs without the need for your sorry ass regime. I digress...

"All the inconvenience and sweat and discomfort of body armor suddenly pales when you're sliding comfortably down the highway on all fours." -ghostdncr
jbhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:05 AM   #7
FormerOilhead OP

Hey...thanks for the feedback.
That's actually good news.
I'd rather have a Made in USA product anyway and worth the wait.
I wish I got that explanation when I spoke to their customer service people.

JP
Old 04-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
jbhawley
WTF- Gus?

Oddometer: 424
Lynn and I were speaking very candidly, so I imagine that some of her "insider knowledge" is not spouted by customer service to customers. I took from our conversation that with the sewing staff they currently have, they cannot keep up with the demand, thus the latency on new suit builds.

"All the inconvenience and sweat and discomfort of body armor suddenly pales when you're sliding comfortably down the highway on all fours." -ghostdncr
jbhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
FormerOilhead OP

Well....here's a new twist. I received this response this morning:

Thank you for your email. I apologize about the delay.

From what I learned today, the... material was being held in customs for some unknown reason. We did get it released and it will be in on Wednesday. Well (sic) get the suit started as soon as possible after that material comes in.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Again I apologize for the delay.

Seems like their "problems" keep adding up. And their story keeps changing.
This suit is still weeks, if not months away from being shipped.

FormerOilhead screwed with this post 04-14-2014 at 06:18 PM
FormerOilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
Burninator
Zed's dead

Oddometer: 302
Aerostich is a small American Company with one manufacturing location, excellent customer service and the ability to make custom suits. If you want Mcdonalds level of immediate gratification, with consistently shitty products, try any one of the hundreds of other made in China/Thailand/Bangladesh gear manufacturers.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
oldtouring B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Are they being candid?

3 months to produce the fabric? I am afraid that honesty is out of the equation. If I were you and my old suit was still going strong, I would cancel the order and wait a few months until they get their shit together.
oldtouring B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #12
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,487
Maybe you should offer to take a different color? The RC is worth the wait, you'll be happy when you get it. I finally got one two years ago after debating for 20 years about getting one - it just works.

Did the story really change? They were out of grey, now the grey is caught in customs - that sounds pretty consistent. Why not call and speak to them directly? Email just doesn't work as well and complaining here might make you fell better but it doesn't move anything ahead.

A company on-shoring their work is a good thing. I wouldn't buy the Vietnamese mfg versions - they were what, $100 cheaper? Seemed like a bad deal all around.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #13
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,089
15 years ago when my grey roadcrafter had to go back for some crash repair,
Aerostich told me that the grey fabric is the most challenging to have decent color match on.
So I could either wait for until the next batch came in (With no solid ET) or have the repairs made in black.

I chose the black option. So they have had a history of challenges with that color, they should have been straight with you.

But customs can and often does screw stuff up.

When I sent my Darien in for some repair evaluation, at the pop up shop in Oceanside back in November it took a long time for them to even give me a quote for the repair, about a three weeks after they said they could be able to do it at the pop up shop. In the end everything worked out well and I'm back riding with a Darien.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
FormerOilhead OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Aerostich is a small American Company with one manufacturing location, excellent customer service and the ability to make custom suits. If you want Mcdonalds level of immediate gratification, with consistently shitty products, try any one of the hundreds of other made in China/Thailand/Bangladesh gear manufacturers.
I know AeroStich and their quality very well. This would be my third suit from them.
By the way...up until very recently, their RC Light suit was made in Vietnam.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #15
FormerOilhead OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtouring B View Post
3 months to produce the fabric? I am afraid that honesty is out of the equation. If I were you and my old suit was still going strong, I would cancel the order and wait a few months until they get their shit together.
Thats exactly what I did. I will order again after the riding season here in Minnesota and have it for next year.