Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
quattroman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Issue with gloves + jacket + rain

So guys,

I have the Cortech Hydro GT gloves and the Tourmaster Sentinel Rain jacket .

Both by themselves are pretty waterproof and have no issues with that.

The problem comes when I am riding in the rain and I need to stop. The water will comes in rushing into the glove the second I apply the breaks.

With this combo that I have, the glove's gauntlet goes over the jackets cuff; the cuff is too tight to go over the gauntlet.

What can I do to prevent water from rushing in. I was already suggested to use tennis bracelets (the ones used by tennis player to prevent sweat to run down the hands and racket handle) and place them inside the glove before tightening the gauntlet.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat
...it's not how long you last that counts, but how much 'living' you manage to cram into life before the inevitable.
quattroman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
macbethandbanquo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
BEST solution is to get a pair of rainproof gloves that fit UNDER the jacket. Perhaps a shorty glove with little or no gauntlet. It's what it do.

I like the tennis bracelet idea!
macbethandbanquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 940
In the rain, glove gauntlet goes under jacket sleeve (may not apply with ape hangers?).

If you can't cram your glove gauntlet under your jacket sleeve, get some glove jacket combination that you can (or swith to ape hangers?). Easiest/cheapest solution is probably a cheap PVC rain jacket to wear over your jacket and glove gauntlet.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 704
Different gloves or jacket are needed. Best to work it all out prior to purchase. We live and learn..............

On a more serious note-watch what professional riders do and use. The guys who make a living on bikes in any weather. You'll see firsthand what works and what does not.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,240
Aerostich Sleestacks might work.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-t...it-covers.html

The BEST option is still gloves in the sleeves. The Sleestacks work pretty good though. They seal up tight enough around the wrist to keep most water out.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbethandbanquo View Post
BEST solution is to get a pair of rainproof gloves that fit UNDER the jacket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
In the rain, glove gauntlet goes under jacket sleeve (may not apply with ape hangers?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K View Post
The BEST option is still gloves in the sleeves.

I sense a pattern here.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:16 AM   #7
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
Hmmm....this is interesting.

In the past I've always just put a pair of industrial/lab type rubber gauntlets over my leather gloves. Over the years I've ridden a lot in the rain and I don't remember ever having water run into the guantlets. Never even thought about putting the gauntlets under the jacket sleeves.

I have a pair of The GT Hydros. Just got them and haven't tried them in the rain yet (glad to hear they work good - killer deal on them at motorcyclegear.com right now btw). I just put them on with a firstgear Kenya and they would fit under the cuffs, although its a little awkward. I tried them over the sleeves and it seemed like I could cinch the gauntlets down tight enough that very little water would get in just from slowing or stopping.

Are you riding a lot of stop and go type stuff? Not doubting your problem at all, it just looks too me that if you cinch down the gauntlets it shouldn't be a big problem. At least in highway riding that doesn't involve frequent stops. Otherwise a different jacket or gloves as others (everybody ) has said.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #8
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 940
The lobster claws are a good idea, but you'll still end up with water in them if you spend any time at all in heavy rain.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:27 AM   #9
quattroman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
Hmmm....this is interesting.
Are you riding a lot of stop and go type stuff? Not doubting your problem at all, it just looks too me that if you cinch down the gauntlets it shouldn't be a big problem. At least in highway riding that doesn't involve frequent stops. Otherwise a different jacket or gloves as others (everybody ) has said.
Well I commute everyday with my bike, rain or shine, and sometimes I get stop and go traffic. During the summer, the water coming in was refreshing (but annoying). I am fearing the winter months if I get caught in some rain. Luckily it doesn't rain often during the winter in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat
...it's not how long you last that counts, but how much 'living' you manage to cram into life before the inevitable.
quattroman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #10
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroman View Post
Well I commute everyday with my bike, rain or shine, and sometimes I get stop and go traffic. During the summer, the water coming in was refreshing (but annoying). I am fearing the winter months if I get caught in some rain. Luckily it doesn't rain often during the winter in Florida.
Kind of what I suspected. I quit commuting on the bike many years ago after too many close calls with unawake commuters. Then later when I went to work during the wee hours and commuters weren't a problem, the deer were.
You're more hardcore than I am

Good luck finding a solution. Let us know when you do.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #11
palada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
There are waterproof gloves with an inside and an outside gauntlet. You put the thin inside gauntlet under your jacket sleeve, and the thicker outside gauntlet over. I know BMW makes or made them. I'm guessing others do too.

Fat fingered on Tapatalk
palada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by palada View Post
There are waterproof gloves with an inside and an outside gauntlet. You put the thin inside gauntlet under your jacket sleeve, and the thicker outside gauntlet over. I know BMW makes or made them. I'm guessing others do too.

Fat fingered on Tapatalk
Bmw Atlantis 3 glove

I commute everyday year round as well and just had to find the right gauntlet glove to fit under my jacket.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #13
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,240
BMW Atlantis 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Bmw Atlantis 3 glove
I'm going into my second winter with my Atlantis 3 gloves. I have a drawer full of other attempts - but these are the only ones that have kept me 100% dry in the hardest rain. The dual gauntlet is the key: one inside the jacket sleeve, one outside. The outer gautlet has two little drain holes for the water trapped between. I'm surprised that other manufacturers don't offer the same idea.

I bought the largest size to give me room for my PowerLet heated liners inside. Warm and dry is a nice combo.
John Smallberries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #14
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,565
I have a dual cuff on the jacket instead, so it works perfectly with any waterproof glove. And the cuff is big enough to work reasonably well with larger gauntlets, too.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #15
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 704
I'll offer that a rider should check all waterproof gear with a bucket test or hose as needed to be sure whatever it is you're testing is in fact waterproof.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote