Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
The_Scottsman OP
There's Beer here??

Oddometer: 93
Caberg Tourmax Helmet

I've had this now for about a week, and I'm so far, impressed:

This is the first flip-up style helmet I've owned. I'm coming from an OGK FF4. It's pretty quiet, seems to fit well, although I'd like it to be a little more snug against my cheeks. The sun visor has a friction slide, so I can stop it before it hits my big schnoz. There's no exhaust venting along the back; we'll see how that affects the internal airflow as it gets warmer here. Visibility is good, and it comes with a pinlock insert. Never used one before, so I'll have to see how that works. Delivered, it was $300 from motostorm.it.

Ego reperio vestri fedei defectus turbare.

The_Scottsman screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 05:50 PM
The_Scottsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

Oddometer: 786
But...

But, but, but... Splutter...it's not DOT

Looks great, I like the Caberg line, great helmets, decent price point, they do well on the British SHARP helmet tests. Wish they would return to the US market.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
The_Scottsman OP
There's Beer here??

Agreed. From what I read on european forums, Carberg are pretty consistently known for being reasonably prices helmets with better-than-expected quality. I'm sure the helmet would have no problem passing DOT requirements. There was word a while back that Caberg was working on putting together distribution infrastructure over here, but it doesn't seem that that is going to happen, at least not anytime soon.

I often ride early in the morning, or in the late afternoon, and my riding spans from dark into daylight, or vice-verse, so I'm always carrying my tinted, or clear visor in my gear.It's nice to have that visor built into the helmet. It's also nice to be able to wear my glasses when I need to.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
bmon
Go Thattaway

Oddometer: 62
Just got the Tourmax as well (Black) from burnoutitaly.com

Like everything about it, share the same venting concerns. Time will tell on that count.
bmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,623
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...max/review.htm
Old 03-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
massrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I really like the features of this helmet, I've wanted to try a flip up but really didn't want to give up the visor like the one on my AFX39, I also like the drop down sun shield and the ratchet buckle on the Caberg, I'd hate to go back to D-rings. This one checks all the boxes on my list. WBW lists it as a neutral shape and true to size, would you guys agree? That is the thing that worries me most about ordering it from Italy, I can't try one on around here and it would cost almost half again the price of the helmet to have to exchange it for a different size.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

Oddometer: 786
You could likely sell it here for close to what you had paid for it, if the fit is nit right and it is still "new" enough
Old 03-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
bmon
Go Thattaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by massrider View Post
...WBW lists it as a neutral shape and true to size, would you guys agree? That is the thing that worries me most about ordering it from Italy, I can't try one on around here and it would cost almost half again the price of the helmet to have to exchange it for a different size.
It is indeed a risk ordering a helmet without first being able to try it on. Using the WBW scale, I consider my head to be more 'round' than neutral and the Caberg fit me well. Can offer one comparison; I went with the Caberg XL and have a Schuberth C3 Size 63 - XXL - 7 7/8. Fwiw.

Keep in mind import duties as well when considering cost; in my case FedEx added ~$31 to my cost.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
The_Scottsman OP
There's Beer here??

Based on the write up in WBW, I'd say I'm a 'narrow' head shape. The helmet fits well, but there's a space on the sides; I like the cheek pads to press fairly strongly against my cheeks, and with the Caberg, there's very little pressure. I measured my head at 59cm, and that puts it in the 'Large' category. I'd say their sizing is accurate.

It was kind of scary ordering a helmet without getting to try it on. I did the same thing with my OGK, but I did have a good description of the fit prior to buying it. It would be time-consuming to make a return to Italy, but that would've been fine; I'd just have ordered the X-Lite X-551 and tried that.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:11 AM   #10
massrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmon View Post

Keep in mind import duties as well when considering cost; in my case FedEx added ~$31 to my cost.
Was the duty on top of the quoted shipping cost? When I added it to the cart to see the shipping cost it gave me a cost of about $62.00 for shipping and a total of $286.00, did you pay another $31.00 on top of this?
Old 03-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #11
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Yes, please tell us about this price, is it overall shipped to your door?

I'm about to get a new helmet and if this is within reasonable price parameters, I may give it a shot.

Does this helmet shape compare with any other brands, Arai, Shoei, etc.?
Old 03-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #12
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Oh, and how is the peak holding up with drag effects? Can you do highway speeds without too much worry?
Thanks
Old 03-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #13
bmon
Go Thattaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by massrider View Post
Was the duty on top of the quoted shipping cost? When I added it to the cart to see the shipping cost it gave me a cost of about $62.00 for shipping and a total of $286.00, did you pay another $31.00 on top of this?
Yes, the import duty was top of everything I paid the vendor for the helmet & shipping. The invoice came two weeks after I received the helmet (BS imo).
Old 03-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #14
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,349
NEVER EVER EVER USE FEDEX OR UPS to get your packages from overseas. ALWAYS specify that they use USPS. USPS does not collect taxes on your behalf.

I knew a few guys who ordered their cigarettes online, 2 years later they got a huge bill from Fedex....

I always specified USPS, never had a problem.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #15
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
NEVER EVER EVER USE FEDEX OR UPS to get your packages from overseas. ALWAYS specify that they use USPS.

If they're shipping from Germany, DHL is good. It will get handed off to USPS as it enters the US.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote