Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #46
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Okay, this was the first day out with the VIRB on a helmet and it passed with flying colours! The temperature only went to a high of +8 C and I used the camera most of the day, using only one battery which had 20% left at the end of the day. I didn't record every minute but I did at least as much as I would have with a GoPro.

The camera itself was on the top of the helmet, Teletubbie style, but the wind drag was nowhere near as bad as the GP would be. I let my wife try it on her helmet the same way and she approved, and ordered me to get her one by next week at the latest so as soon as I got home, I ordered a second from GPSCity.

No better testimonial than that of SWMBO.

Video at 11:00!
Looking forward to seeing it. Popcorn in the microwave right now.

Free Cash Back for Online Purchases.....One More CashBack Site
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #47
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Old 11-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #48
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
Looking forward to seeing it. Popcorn in the microwave right now.
Taking longer than I thought to get anything uploaded. Will do it asap but for the moment, here's a picture my wife took while it was on her helmet.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:24 AM   #49
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

My uploaded to YouTube failed twice last night..… trying once more now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #50
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Bummer about the upload to YouTube…

I like the detail in the photo your wife took. Looks pretty sharp with decent depth of field. At least it does to my aging eyes….LOL. I assume that's you in the distance.

Off topic but I'm pretty sure you use a Mac so I thought I would pass this along…

MacX Video Converter Pro free download before 2013/12/6
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1670819

Note: The license key is inside a text file (License Key.txt) that's included in the Zip file you download.

Jon…
Old 11-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #51
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
I like the detail in the photo your wife took. Looks pretty sharp with decent depth of field. At least it does to my aging eyes….LOL. I assume that's you in the distance.
For a still shot taken from a video camera, it's pretty good. My questions is: was the video recording occurring as well when the snapshot was grabbed? Some video cameras can do this, others cannot.

Quote:
My uploaded to YouTube failed twice last night..… trying once more now.
Looking forward to actually seeing some motorcycle video with this camera, since the bikes ride rougher than the autos, and with wind hitting it such, to see what buffeting problems may occur from camera shake. Your previously posted day and night videos inside a car looked very good. I'm still debating between the Virb and the Drift Ghost, and as neither has been found at a GREAT deal, I've got time to wait for my purchase and to keep checking out everybody else's comments.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #52
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Bummer about the upload to YouTube…

Off topic but I'm pretty sure you use a Mac so I thought I would pass this along…

MacX Video Converter Pro free download before 2013/12/6
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1670819

Note: The license key is inside a text file (License Key.txt) that's included in the Zip file you download.

Jon…
Thanks for the link to the convertor, Jon. I do use a Mac so it'll come in handy.

Not sure why the YouTube uploads are failing - I keep getting a "credentials" error. But I was able to upload a small file to YT yesterday. Will keep trying.

Got lots more video and pictures today. In two days, we've done 516 km; not bad for November!

Realized two more advantages to the VIRB:

1 - the lens does not fog up when you change battery, causing subsequent recordings to be useless. (Happened often to me with the GP)
2 - The mounting system allows you to rotate the camera so you can record what's to the side, if that's important. Like if you were going by a mountain range and wanted to get pictures of it while riding through, you could angle the camera any way around.

And you're right. That is me off in the distance. Did the high via jacket give me away? ;) I also like the sharpness of that picture. It was taken at the lowest photo resolution the camera works in, 8mp.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 11-16-2013 at 08:15 PM
Old 11-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #53
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
For a still shot taken from a video camera, it's pretty good. My questions is: was the video recording occurring as well when the snapshot was grabbed? Some video cameras can do this, others cannot.

Looking forward to actually seeing some motorcycle video with this camera, since the bikes ride rougher than the autos, and with wind hitting it such, to see what buffeting problems may occur from camera shake. Your previously posted day and night videos inside a car looked very good. I'm still debating between the Virb and the Drift Ghost, and as neither has been found at a GREAT deal, I've got time to wait for my purchase and to keep checking out everybody else's comments.
The photo was taken in photo mode, not a snapshot from a video. My wife prefers stills so she had the camera set up the way she plans to use hers when it gets here. The VIRB can take stills if you push the button while in video record mode, or the remote button if you're using a GPS for that. I hoped I could force it to take video by pushing the big record button while it was in the photo interval mode today, but it doesn't work that way.

I hope to have at least a short video up on YouTube tonight. VIRB Edit upload to YT has failed about 6 times now so I logged in to Google again, to see if that clears up the problem. So far, so good. It's at about 50%.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #54
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Argh! Just failed again! My ISP is slow as molasses in Winter. Think I'll tether my Mac to my phone and get the job done faster.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #55
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Finally managed to get a quick video up. It's just about 6 minutes of one of our favourite roads. No editing, just added gauges and a track on the right side of the screen. Probably best viewed at 720P - change the setting on Youtube to see it.

Wind noise was terrible so I added music instead.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #56
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

One thing I did notice about this camera - you might want to wash your hands before using it. It looks to me like the white finish is going to pick up oil/hand lotion stains fairly easily.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #57
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,818
Any word on the integration with the Montana? You sold me a Montana, now maybe a verb. I hope you're on commission
Old 11-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #58
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Finally managed to get a quick video up. It's just about 6 minutes of one of our favourite roads. No editing, just added gauges and a track on the right side of the screen. Probably best viewed at 720P - change the setting on Youtube to see it.
Thanks for the video. There's a significant difference in quality between this video, and the picture you posted on the 15th. Have any idea why, if both were captured while riding? Do you think the camera was having problems with the recording, and downgraded the quality automatically to maintain the stream of data coming in? Enjoyed the song and watching the curves, so thanks!

Old 11-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #59
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
Any word on the integration with the Montana? You sold me a Montana, now maybe a verb. I hope you're on commission
Yes, the Montana works as a remote control for the VIRB Elite. I haven't used it much that way so I can't say just how reliable that is yet.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #60
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Thanks for the video. There's a significant difference in quality between this video, and the picture you posted on the 15th. Have any idea why, if both were captured while riding? Do you think the camera was having problems with the recording, and downgraded the quality automatically to maintain the stream of data coming in? Enjoyed the song and watching the curves, so thanks!
Did you up the video to 720p on YT?

The video was captured separately from the picture. The video also went through Garmin's VIRB Edit, adding gauges, then the only way I could upload it was to import it to Picasa and use that program's uploader to get it to YT so there could have been a number of changes made to the video by each program. I'll try to compare it to the original asap and see.

But the video was captured at the "Econo" mode, in 720p originally, so that may explain some of the issue.

I've only got about 60 gigs free on this machine - must find some space soon.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 07:04 PM