Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #781
JohnMcL7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclebradley View Post
Anywhere from 8-98% complete with the video and it just stops, a windows error message pops up and lets me know "VIRB Edit has stopped working".
it does this with 4 minute vids or 40 minute vids; every time.

Un-installed it, re-installed it: same thing. I saw this and thought it looked great: http://www.dashware.net/

Anyone have any experience with it?
I've used Dashware with a GoPro and a Garmin Edge 800 and I've been very pleased with the results, I found it a bit odd to get started with but once you understand the way it works it's quite quick and simple to use. It also has some very clever features where it can calculate lap timing which you can sort by simply clicking on the GPS generated map to tell it where the start/finish is.

The only issue I have with it is I haven't worked out how to use it with multiple video clips as on a longer run the camera will break the clips up into 4GB chunks. The program doesn't handle joins itself as far as I'm aware so you have to join them together (one transcode), render it through Dashware (two transcodes) and then pop it in the video editor and produce the final video (three transcodes). I've been meaning to write to Dashware and see what they recommend, I don't think you can use the one gpx file for each video segment as you can only sync from the start of the GPS file but I may be wrong.

The demo gives a reasonably good idea what you can do with it, the only video I've uploaded that has some Dashware stuff in it this one at 3m 6s there four clips with GPS data. This was my first go with the software and didn't take long:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ZzG...tailpage#t=186

Edit: Not picking up the time marker for some reason, you'll need to manually skip it forward.

John
JohnMcL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #782
bicyclebradley
V-Twin

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcL7 View Post
I've used Dashware with a GoPro and a Garmin Edge 800 and I've been very pleased with the results, I found it a bit odd to get started with but once you understand the way it works it's quite quick and simple to use. It also has some very clever features where it can calculate lap timing which you can sort by simply clicking on the GPS generated map to tell it where the start/finish is.

The only issue I have with it is I haven't worked out how to use it with multiple video clips as on a longer run the camera will break the clips up into 4GB chunks. The program doesn't handle joins itself as far as I'm aware so you have to join them together (one transcode), render it through Dashware (two transcodes) and then pop it in the video editor and produce the final video (three transcodes). I've been meaning to write to Dashware and see what they recommend, I don't think you can use the one gpx file for each video segment as you can only sync from the start of the GPS file but I may be wrong.

The demo gives a reasonably good idea what you can do with it, the only video I've uploaded that has some Dashware stuff in it this one at 3m 6s there four clips with GPS data. This was my first go with the software and didn't take long:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ZzG...tailpage#t=186

Edit: Not picking up the time marker for some reason, you'll need to manually skip it forward.

John
Thanks John - I played with it and i can see it getting easier...

with the release of 2.3.2 VE is working again for me.... so i just export the telemetry data and work in Windows Movie Maker. Im not going for an Oscar, just want to share the footage with my buddies...
Old 01-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #783
bicyclebradley
V-Twin

V.E. 2.3.2 is working for me!

Here's the proof!

Exported the telemetry data (raw basically) then used Windows Movie Maker to edit.

Highway 74 "Palms to Pines"
Old 01-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #784
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,077
Quote:
Thanks John - I played with it and i can see it getting easier...

with the release of 2.3.2 VE is working again for me.... so i just export the telemetry data and work in Windows Movie Maker. Im not going for an Oscar, just want to share the footage with my buddies...
Glad to hear VE is working for you. Apparently exported video is sharper now, and I think I can see a difference. I think it's the Mac version which is in need of an update now. Wouldn't surprise me to see one soon.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:15 AM   #785
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Here's the proof!

Exported the telemetry data (raw basically) then used Windows Movie Maker to edit.

Great road and scenery! Too bad about the traffic! Jack Johnson sure has changed since the last time I heard him.

Just a bit of advice: rather than posting the link, you should post the embed code in a hyperlink so we get a preview, like this.

The quality of the video is impressive. What resolution did you use?
Old 01-30-2014, 06:05 AM   #786
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Here's the proof!

Awesome video turned out real good.

I'll have to try the update see if it helps me.

Thanks
Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #787
s0ulchicken
MTB Grinder

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Here's the proof!

NICE! The video looks fantastic bb!
s0ulchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #788
bicyclebradley
V-Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ulchicken View Post
NICE! The video looks fantastic bb!
Thanks Soul! 'twas fun to collect the video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Awesome video turned out real good.
I'll have to try the update see if it helps me.
Thanks
Fred
Yes Fred, you should, it gave me NO grief after i unsintalled 2.3.1 and installed 2.3.2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Great road and scenery! Too bad about the traffic! Jack Johnson sure has changed since the last time I heard him.

Just a bit of advice: rather than posting the link, you should post the embed code in a hyperlink so we get a preview,

The quality of the video is impressive. What resolution did you use?
Thanks EBD, ya i forgot to put the embed code, i normally do. i was in a rush to eat din-din! haha. next one.... theres a REALLY great twisty 60MPH part im working on...

I shot the video in Ultra zoom, 1080, Stabilization & lens correct both ON.
The telemetry and freaky underwater song was done in V.E. and exported in 960. then i imported it to Windows Movie Maker where i added the intro words and music. after it was done, i "saved movie as" 12?? X 720 - whatever that ratio turns out to be -
ALSO i do not let YouTube correct the "your video looks shaky do you want to correct it" i always say NO.

thats it in a nutshell... glad you enjoyed it fellas! and thanks again to everyone who helped me thru the hiccups to get my sh*t all dialed in - i am glad its working we (for now, knock on wood) haha...
Old 01-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #789
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Here's the proof!

Thanks for that. I needed to warm up after watching EBD clean the snow off the car.

Looks like a nice road.

Jon…
Old 01-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #790
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

A quick capsule summary on the Garmin VIRB and VIRB Elite Audio-Video Cable

I bought this mostly for the standard 1/8" audio input, so I could try out a standard microphone with my VIRB. It works well for that.

The adaptor also provides a power input so you can still power or charge the camera while the cable is plugged in. It also provides audio and video outputs.

My main gripe is that the cable itself is fairly substantial, so it's a bit of a lump to have on the camera if the camera is being used on a motorcycle helmet or other sports type application.

I have ordered an extension cable to use between the Garmin cable and the camera. This should make it much less cumbersome while still providing the same benefits.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #791
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Sure wish it would warm up. Driving conditions are terrible, much worse than they've been in Winter for years. Every day brings more drifting snow on major highways, and huge accidents on the 401, the main East-West highway in the province.

This is a bit of driving today on some secondary roads, covered in snow drifts. I have snow tires so it's fairly safe, but you still get idiots tailgaiting no matter what driving conditions are like. Makes me want to do brake tests, sometimes.

The following is sped up 200%, so no, I'm not speeding.

Drifting (Snow) from EmmBeeDee on Vimeo.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 01-31-2014 at 04:22 AM Reason: Corrected the rate of speed
Old 01-30-2014, 10:12 PM   #792
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The following is sped up 400%, so no, I'm not speeding.
Where does that happen, VIRB software, Apple SW, Vimeo, Youtube, Windows MM? Is it pick any number you want or a 360, 240, 144 choice?

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:19 AM   #793
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Where does that happen, VIRB software, Apple SW, Vimeo, Youtube, Windows MM? Is it pick any number you want or a 360, 240, 144 choice?
I just realized that the "Drifting" video was sped up 200, not 400%.

You can speed up or slow down the video in VIRB Edit and other software as well.

You can see the scale at the bottom of this screen shot. The scale goes [12.5/25/50/100/200/400/800]

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 01-31-2014 at 04:24 AM
Old 01-31-2014, 01:02 PM   #794
s0ulchicken
MTB Grinder

Oddometer: 85
Received the RAM mount base - quite the hefty piece of equipment for sure! Downside, the RAM VIRB cradle is on backorder at MyPilotStore as well, along with every retailer I have searched out. By the looks of it, I will have to wait looooong time before any kind of release date on the cradle. Some sites say mid-Feb, others (including RAM) state April 1st! YIKES - I picked a bad time to try out a different mounting system.
s0ulchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:26 PM   #795
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ulchicken View Post
Received the RAM mount base - quite the hefty piece of equipment for sure! Downside, the RAM VIRB cradle is on backorder at MyPilotStore as well, along with every retailer I have searched out. By the looks of it, I will have to wait looooong time before any kind of release date on the cradle. Some sites say mid-Feb, others (including RAM) state April 1st! YIKES - I picked a bad time to try out a different mounting system.

I figured the RAM/VIRB mount would be late; that's why I bought the tripod adaptor setup. It's just as solid, and eliminates any GoPro parts or adaptors.

This is my windshield mount setup.

The RAM clamp between the two balls () is a plastic part which works well for inside the car, and is lighter than the metal parts I normally use.