Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #1021
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubilado View Post
... But the field of view, even on the "super zoom" seems to be pretty good if the mount is placed close to the bottom / rear of the opening. Also; there is quite a lot of vertical adjustment with the mount, but almost no horizontal adjustment...worth keeping in mind when you locate the mount.

Mine is in a very similar location but I added one extension. Looking forward to seeing the view from that mount.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #1022
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Very nice. Just one thought, though... if you ever plan on using a comm unit, mount the camera on the right side of the helmet.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #1023
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Very nice. Just one thought, though... if you ever plan on using a comm unit, mount the camera on the right side of the helmet.
I wouldn't have a comms unit on my dirt helmet.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #1024
FJRCraig
WooHoo!

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I haven't used mine yet on the bike but I set the dirtbike helmet up this way:

I think as long as you clean the mounting surface with something like denatured alcohol, and give the adhesive 24 hours to set properly, it should stay on. I'll still use a tether on mine, though.

Just in case.
Thanks very much, exactly what I was thinking of doing. Tether sounds a sensible back up too.

Cheers, Craig
Old 02-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #1025
FJRCraig
WooHoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubilado View Post
This setup has been on a few dirtbike rides...one crash and more than a couple tree slams. I think the cradle itself would break before the stick-on mount came loose. Noteworthy; all helmets are not shaped the same, there are issues with goggle straps and visor openings, but the field of view, even on the "super zoom" seems to be pretty good if the mount is placed close to the bottom / rear of the opening. Also; there is quite a lot of vertical adjustment with the mount, but almost no horizontal adjustment...worth keeping in mind when you locate the mount.

Thanks hubilado that's also what I was planning. Sounds like the adhesive is more than up to the job. I'll give it a go!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #1026
FJRCraig
WooHoo!

Quote:
Guess the issue with that is that the record switch is on the left and would be difficult to access. Not an issue with a remote or if you just turn it on and leave it on though...
Old 02-27-2014, 06:38 AM   #1027
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRCraig View Post
Guess the issue with that is that the record switch is on the left and would be difficult to access. Not an issue with a remote or if you just turn it on and leave it on though...
Maybe flip the mount so it hangs down instead? That would keep the switch on the side away from the helmet. But, you may need to put the mount higher on the helmet, possibly throwing off the balance...
Old 02-27-2014, 07:13 AM   #1028
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Maybe flip the mount so it hangs down instead? That would keep the switch on the side away from the helmet. But, you may need to put the mount higher on the helmet, possibly throwing off the balance...
Why not rotate the VIRB 90' and mount it in a vertical orientation? Then it will be closer to the helmet body and all button are easy to reach regardless of left/right side installation.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #1029
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 153
Quote:

Mine is in a very similar location but I added one extension. Looking forward to seeing the view from that mount.
I like the idea of having a bit better access to the camera, with the extension, but will probably keep mine close as we ride in lots of scrub and juniper...I've already tested the lens and mount with trees....all's well so far.
hubilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #1030
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Why not rotate the VIRB 90' and mount it in a vertical orientation? Then it will be closer to the helmet body and all button are easy to reach regardless of left/right side installation.
I'm fairly certain I read that the VIRB allows a 'flip' of the image, but can you do a 90-degree adjustment in the hardware or software to keep the proper aspect ratio? If so, I agree with you that it would be preferable (to me, at least) to keep the camera as close to the helmet surface as possible.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #1031
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
I'm fairly certain I read that the VIRB allows a 'flip' of the image, but can you do a 90-degree adjustment in the hardware or software to keep the proper aspect ratio? If so, I agree with you that it would be preferable (to me, at least) to keep the camera as close to the helmet surface as possible.
No, the Virb orientation can only be flipped in the camera, but if you wanted you could record in Portrait mode, then use other software to turn it 90 deg on your computer.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #1032
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No, the Virb orientation can only be flipped in the camera, but if you wanted you could record in Portrait mode, then use other software to turn it 90 deg on your computer.
That sucks. Maintaining the correct aspect ratio in software would result in a narrower field of view and a reduction in resolution.

Edit - This is one of the main reasons I'm considering the new SENA Prism camera instead. It seems like it'll be much more low-profile when mounted on a helmet.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #1033
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
That sucks. Maintaining the correct aspect ratio in software would result in a narrower field of view and a reduction in resolution.

Edit - This is one of the main reasons I'm considering the new SENA Prism camera instead. It seems like it'll be much more low-profile when mounted on a helmet.
Not very aerodynamic, is it?

Old 02-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #1034
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not very aerodynamic, is it?
Nope, but I'm hoping that it will be small and narrow enough to offset that. I'm still waiting to see what the mounts for the Prism are going to look like. The VIRB on it's collection of arms and knobs doesn't look ideal either.

The Contour had the rotating lens thing, which would've been the ideal solution on the VIRB.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #1035
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

I've posted a reply in the Parts area for a gps I have to trade for a basic VIRB, if anyone's interested...