Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #1111
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
This was how I set mine up the first time I used it and every time I stopped, the red record light would turn green shortly after stopping. When I took off, the green light would quickly switch to red.

However, I don't remember if that means it stopped recording at stop lights or stayed on long enough to record through them.
Today's update on Auto Record When Moving:
When stopping, the VIRB would save GPS data and shut down at about 7 seconds after stopping, so it does shut off at each stop light (actually, standby, going from red LED to green). When resuming movement, the VIRB would start recording in about one second (every time). This is on the motorcycle, so the camera is sitting right in front of me. I thought I'd like this feature but it records a lot of footage that I don't want.

fwiw: with the camera recording when moving: I could start recording while stopped, with the remote and it would continue recording as I rode away. The camera saw me stop recording with the remote while moving. It would save GPS date and shut off (standby, green LED) while still moving. But as soon as the camera shut off (again, green LED), it would see that it was moving and restart. I can live with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Hmm, I'll have to check it again. I couldn't see the light on the camera so I don't know if it was changing in any way while stopped or moving, but I stopped at the bank and it recorded right through the five minutes I was inside.

Maybe I need to reset the camera, in case I have something in the settings which caused that mode not to work.
I think this is all it takes to record while moving. Well, it worked all day, but doesn't see me walking out to the mailbox and back now.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #1112
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Here's another video I made using the VIRB and another camera, the more I use the VIRB, the more I like it!

nice vid Finn
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:40 AM   #1113
cba191
wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer: 676
This is such a massive thread, and I've been trying to follow it. But I have a question. If I already have a Montana, is there a point in getting the elite? I don't think I'd use the WiFi, but are there other advantages?
Old 03-07-2014, 05:05 AM   #1114
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cba191 View Post
This is such a massive thread, and I've been trying to follow it. But I have a question. If I already have a Montana, is there a point in getting the elite? I don't think I'd use the WiFi, but are there other advantages?
Good question. I think the gps, accelerometer, and WiFi are worth getting if you only have one Virb. Especially if you have a SmartPhone, as you will probably be able, eventually when Garmin sorts that out, to retrieve photos from the camera through WiFi and save them to the phone, and of course upload them from there to this site or other social media or photo albums.

I wish the Elite didn't have that absorbent white finish. It does tend to pick up oils off your hands, if you're not careful.

But I'm planning to buy a second Virb, and it'll be the basic one.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:38 AM   #1115
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,350
Quote:
I got this widget today (the left ball in both pics), ordered earlier and put it on 'send it when you get it'. I thought I'd like the 'one less piece' concept but there are liabilities: One: it takes a 4mm allen wrench to install. So what? It also gives up horizontal adjustment at the cradle. Again, so what? Well, I've already used that adjustment (plus the ball rotation) to get the framing I want (I love the viewfinder. It may not be bright and colorful like the web photos, but I know what the camera is seeing without having to buy a separate LCD BacPac. Or worse yet, a smart phone. ).

This will work, but only after I get another camera cradle. This will maintain the tool-less use of all mount possibilities. They should have used the same wingnut they used everywhere else (shown in the right ball).

What does the nut on the far side of the RAM part look like? Is it captive like the Virb part is, or can it fall out and be lost like the GoPro part?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #1116
s0ulchicken
MTB Grinder

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your tumble. One of the last big ones I took was over the bars and I cracked a rib in that one...

Have to ask... where was the Virb?
Well, that is the one time I decided to leave it in the pack instead of putting it on the bike. Once I did land, the first thing I though of was that it would have made an excellent fail video if I only had it mounted to the bike!
s0ulchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #1117
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What does the nut on the far side of the RAM part look like? Is it captive like the Virb part is, or can it fall out and be lost like the GoPro part?
It can easily fall out.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #1118
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
It can easily fall out.

Little RTV and it will keep the nut in place.
It looks very solid but I don't think I would like to lose the horizontal adjustment...maybe no big deal hard to tell without having the thing in my hands.

You do have 45 degree angle on the left side so I guess you do have a little adjustment??
Well looking at the other photo maybe it only goes on one way.

Looks more solid compared to the other mount though.

Thanks for the photos

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #1119
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,787
Quote:
It can easily fall out.

Looks like a dab of silicone will keep it in place should the bolt be backed out too far. Don't know what will keep the bolt in place, though...
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #1120
USAIR
picking and riding

Quote:
Today's update on Auto Record When Moving:
When stopping, the VIRB would save GPS data and shut down at about 7 seconds after stopping, so it does shut off at each stop light (actually, standby, going from red LED to green). When resuming movement, the VIRB would start recording in about one second (every time). This is on the motorcycle, so the camera is sitting right in front of me. I thought I'd like this feature but it records a lot of footage that I don't want.

fwiw: with the camera recording when moving: I could start recording while stopped, with the remote and it would continue recording as I rode away. The camera saw me stop recording with the remote while moving. It would save GPS date and shut off (standby, green LED) while still moving. But as soon as the camera shut off (again, green LED), it would see that it was moving and restart. I can live with that.

I think this is all it takes to record while moving. Well, it worked all day, but doesn't see me walking out to the mailbox and back now.

So every time you stop for 7 seconds it writes a new file...one for GPS (.GPX file) and another for video (.MP4) ?
Not complaining just wondering....guess it has too can't really put a video on standby while recording ????

I don't think I will use this much...but I'll keep an open mind...well what's left of it anyway

Thanks

Fred
Beware of the Wallnut
Old 03-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #1121
USAIR
picking and riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Looks like a dab of silicone will keep it in place should the bolt be backed out too far. Don't know what will keep the bolt in place, though...
Great minds think alike.

Fred
Beware of the Wallnut
Old 03-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #1122
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Little RTV and it will keep the nut in place.
It looks very solid but I don't think I would like to lose the horizontal adjustment...maybe no big deal hard to tell without having the thing in my hands.

You do have 45 degree angle on the left side so I guess you do have a little adjustment??
Well looking at the other photo maybe it only goes on one way.

Looks more solid compared to the other mount though.

Thanks for the photos

Fred
It is very stout, there won't be any wiggle (motocross, desert racing, mtn biking etc). There is no horizontal play, the 45* angle fits tightly against the cradle.

Quote:
So every time you stop for 7 seconds it writes a new file...one for GPS (.GPX file) and another for video (.MP4) ?
Not complaining just wondering....guess it has too can't really put a video on standby while recording ????

I don't think I will use this much...but I'll keep an open mind...well what's left of it anyway

Thanks

Fred
Yes on the separate files, I'd stop when I wanted a break in the footage. Actually, I had to stop if I wanted a break in the footage; or turn the camera off.

All of the pieces I have use the wing-nut with captured threads on the back side, except the two on the bottom; the right one is the GoPro adapter.

Wing-nut for the newer (than me) guys.

I wondered earlier if the remote wrist strap would fit on the outside of my riding coat, it does. You can see the tether going straight up and coming around the sleeve to the strap at the forearm. It's a tiny bit snug getting my hand through, but I never notice it after that. The remote strap is plenty strong, I'll remove the tether, hopefully before a tree branch does.

Why I'm not riding instead.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #1123
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 157
I wondered earlier if the remote wrist strap would fit on the outside of my riding coat, it does. You can see the tether going straight up and coming around the sleeve to the strap at the forearm. It's a tiny bit snug getting my hand through, but I never notice it after that. The remote strap is plenty strong, I'll remove the tether, hopefully before a tree branch does.

It fit on my coat, as well, but was so unhandy to use that, after a short search for alternatives, I just strapped the remote to the bars....I located a place where it just "settled in" and snugged it up. It was WAY easier to use there. Actually, it may prove to be more convenient than the Handlebar Mount that, I've just learned, is on its way to me.

hubilado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #1124
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Here's something I found....I know there's cheaper ways but still interesting.
Holds a pound...1/4 20 stud on top and 1/4 20 thread on bottom for tripod.
I think I'll have to get me one of these.....

B and H photography $30

Fred
That looks to be about the same as the Drift Innovation time lapse rotator I use.
http://store.driftinnovation.com/act...era-time-lapse

I just wish they rotated slower, I have me eye's on a Cinetics Axis360 to give me complete control of the movement as my interest in time lapse photography is growing:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/280...axis360-review

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #1125
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
First trip with Virb

Just got back from Texas---the hill country----Big Bend National and State Parks---and all kinds of stuff in between.

Had the virb mounted on the Husky as seen in the pic.

All my video was junk-----had a vibration and shaking in the video all the while the engine was running----it would change at different speeds but was always there.

I was so dissapointed---and just checked to make sure I had the image stabilization on ---also lens correction was on.

Could have been my mount causing this ???????????
Could have been my thumper causing this ????? (It's a really smooth motor)
Rough terrain always made it worse.
Could have been operator error.

Also the new remote button which was about 10" from the Virb was un-reliable. While in stand by mode------sometimes pushing the button would start the video-------sometimes not---------I had to watch the red light all the time to make sure it was recording. This was aggravating.

I took a lot of pictures with the virb using the remote.
They all came out superb !!!!!!!
But I have no idea if maybe some didn't take----I think it might have missed a few.

The sound sucked---but I knew it would before I went out--and it did.

So other than taking great pictures it didn't work out for me.

May have been operator error----------I'll try to figure something out.

It was aggravating for me as my Viosport POV 1.5 helmet camera has been always perfect and has never failed to start recording. I missed the in helmet mic that's on my POV 1.5. I've been using that camera for 5-6 years ????

Anyway--------no use to show my video's--------they were just shaky.

When all was said and done---I wished I'd used my POV on the trip-----------it takes pictures too.

I'm not really grouchy---as I look in this picture !!!!

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 10:16 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote