Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #16
Coloradical
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,073
My only comment is on the somber side. I went through the same with my stepdad dying of colon cancer. He and my mom were in eastern North Carolina and I went back for a visit after he was admitted to the hospital in the palliative care wing. I knew things weren't good but I feel like my mom shielded me from the reality of his condition before my visit. I don't know what your experience with someone dying of cancer is, but I was shocked when I got there. My stepdad looked like a holocaust victim. He only lived about 2 weeks longer. It gave me a new perspective on why people often have a hard time even saying the word cancer. I was fortunate that I got to spend some time with him before it was too late and I hope the same for you.

I'm looking forward to keeping up with your trip. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,601

Subscribed.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
guambra2001
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Subscribed.

Good luck in your endevours, btw I love the MRA and hope one day I'll get to actually race. I've gotten my feet wet with "super street" but full blown racing is something I want to try before I die. God bless you in your upcoming trip and personal life.
guambra2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
d_mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Thanks for the comments all...

Coloradical, I appreciate the insight around the cancer thing. Yeah, I'm not looking forward to being there to witness it, but it's the right thing to do. I spoke with Tim (my stepfather) today and he actually sounded like he was in good spirits, all things considered.

Guambra, you should join the MRA. I've raced with several different organizations around the US and the cast of characters and friendships within the MRA are by far the best. Can't say I love the tracks though!

I'm off to bed... Day one of the adventure starts tomorrow @ 8AM sharp! Denver to Lake Meredith Nat'l Recreation Area outside of Amarillo.

Trying to make haste as I've met a girl who lives in Nashville and has invited me to stop through on my way to Atlanta. Uh oh...
d_mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #20
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
This sounds like it should be good. Looking forward to what happens next.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #21
d_mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Days 1 & 2 | Days Behind Bars, Nights Under Stars...

Denver >> Lake Meredith Nat'l Recreation Area >> Oklahoma City

Mileage: A $hitload

Best moment: Leaving the house on first day of trip. Several songs came through my earbuds that made the perfect weather (70 and sunny) seem even more perfect (i.e. Little Dragon Crystalfilm, Rolling Stones Wild Horses, Bill Withers Lovely Day, LCD Soundsystem Home, etc, etc, etc).

Worst moment: Two actually... First, when wind hit incredibly hard and had me riding at an angle of around 20 for approx two hours. Second, when I woke up this morning and the temp was 32.9F. Even with these, it was one of the most monumental and amazing two days of riding I've ever experienced.

Most embarrassing moment: This morning, as I'm packing up w/ frost covering everything (warming my hands every two minutes on the moto exhaust) I did something incredibly awesome. Imagine the spring loaded tent legs in the picture above. As I'm breaking down one of the legs, it springs up with incredible force and smacks me directly in the middle of my forehead. Seriously?!? I still have a red diagonal line on my freaking forehead. I had to laugh at the time, but damn it hurt! And it still hurts!!! Seriously??!?!?!!

Summary: So as you can see, I started in Denver and headed south, southeast, then east. A few things stand out from the trip. One of the most notable was the waving. It started right away... as cars would pass I noticed people waving. This wasn't a typical "how are ya?" wave, or a "good day" kind of wave. There was something behind the waves. So much in fact that I started counting them. All-in-all I noticed no less than 22 waves throughout the ride the past two days. The people behind the waves were clearly saying "go for it" and "Godspeed". I even noticed people slowing and smacking their kids to "look, look at the crazy motorcyclist riding from Colorado". There were also the 'tips of the hat' from obvious other motorcyclists who could tell that I was on an adventure. I have to say, I felt pretty damn cool behind my helmet, and it felt great. It was like I had a highway support group of sorts.

Anyway, I made it to Oklahoma City today. Sorry to cut it so short, but I'm with a really nice CouchSurfing host named Ivey who has cracked a bottle of red wine and is starting a movie for us. I'll try to update this further. If not, I'll fill in the gaps when I get to Little Rock (next stop), or Nashville (next, next stop).

I can't believe this is happening and I can't wait to share more as the adventure progresses.

Having a blast. Loving life. Living on two wheels...

~ D

Old 11-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #22
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
best of luck my friend!!

Cheers form Baja

Damasovi
Old 11-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #23
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
this is already a great thread.
I love this expanded intro
wonderful imagery and I can't wait to see more
thanks for sharing with us
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #24
d_mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys... Looking forward to keeping this thing updated.

I rode another 300+ miles today, bringing the total to just over 1k miles in the 3 days I've been riding.

I have NO idea how some of these guys do Iron Butt rides of 1k in one day because I am absolutely GASSED after today! I'm really looking forward to the Central and South America portions of this trip where I can have a couple of days to rest in each location.

I'll put up another post tomorrow for days 3 & 4. I just made it to Little Rock after breaking rule # 1 for the second time in 3 days (no riding at night). Oops! That said, I'm gonna eat and crash.

Hope everyone had a stellar weekend. Chat soon,

PS... Complaining aside, the ride was nice today. Stayed off the highway for the entirety and managed to ride nice meandering two lane through changing fall colors and farm land. Once into Arkansas there was some interesting wildlife (locals) to take in. :)
Old 11-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #25
Coloradical
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_mob View Post
I have NO idea how some of these guys do Iron Butt rides of 1k in one day because I am absolutely GASSED after today!

PS... Complaining aside, the ride was nice today. Stayed off the highway for the entirety and managed to ride nice meandering two lane through changing fall colors and farm land.
It mostly takes practice. You have to get into riding shape by just riding miles. But you basically answered your own question. You stayed off the highways and enjoyed your day instead of just eating miles.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #26
waylongway
madmax

Oddometer: 469
Me and the wife just got home from a 355 day w/2 hours in the dark .

First time in the dark on her own bike ,she no like

Pace yourself those first few days go fast and then you hit the wall.

Thanks for sharing We got your back....
Old 11-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #27
d_mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Copy/paste from the blog...

Days 3 & 4 | 1,400 Miles & Counting...

Oklahoma City >> Little Rock >> Nashville

Mileage: Still averaging 350 per day, which is waaay too many in my opinion

Best moment: A few stand out...

First, after a long ride to Little Rock (via back roads), I was about 20 miles out and found myself riding past dark. What's rule # 1??? Don't ride past dark! Well, I found myself doing it yet again for the second night in an attempt to get to Little Rock. Just when I was about to give up and grab a horrid motel on the side of the road, a Triumph Bonnie pulled out in front of me with a half-helmeted cool looking dude aboard. We ended up riding faster, faster, and faster together in what turned out to be a quite spirited ride all the way into Little Rock. After switching 'lead' several times we ended up at a red light at the outskirts of the city. We introduced ourselves and thanked each other for the ride, and then Carl offered to lead me to an inexpensive hotel for the evening. Carl if you are reading this, thanks for the ride... Catch you on the flip!

Second, en route to Memphis I cued up a Spotify classic country playlist and was regaled by vivid stories of music, whiskey, and women by the likes of Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, George Jones, and of course Willie & Johnny. It set me up proper for my brief stop in Memphis for a fried catfish lunch on Berle St. Country music, they don't make it like they used to!

Third, Finally made it to Nashville and met up with Lainie (my beautiful friend and host for the evening). She let me shower and unpack at her place and then after dinner we ended up going to a place called Santa's. It is a triple wide trailer that has hipster karaoke seven nights a week. Really a sight to see and some of the coolest and most real people you can meet. Long story short, I should have left Wild Horses to the Rolling Stones, and also probably shouldn't have bought the entire trailer a round of PBR tall boys, but hey, live and learn right!

Worst Moment: None really, except that my ass is killing me. I'm a complete pansy and 350 miles per day is waaaay too much for me. I'm really looking forward to the Central and South America portion of this trip where I can set up shop for a few days in a place to rest. This waking up every day to ride thing is for the birds. Then again, a bad day on the motorcycle is better than a good day in an office right? :)

Anyway, I'm having an amazing trip across America for now, but am looking forward to being at home with my mother and stepfather. I'm tired, need some home cookin', a bed, and a shower...

I was thinking about taking the scenic route today over to/through Tail of the Dragon, but apparently it is freezing and snowy up there, so I'll save that for another time or another trip.

That's all for now... I need to roll out of bed and motivate myself for one more day of riding.

~ D

PS... Lainie, thanks again for the hospitality and fun night out in Nashville. Hope to see you at some point in LatAm. Let's practice our Spanish together... ;)

d_mob screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 06:29 PM
Old 11-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #28
fasttortoise
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Good Luck!

Hi David,

Just dropping you a line to wish you good luck and safe travels. That feeling of leaving the driveway and thinking "I'm really doing this!!" must have been exhilarating!

Keep posting so we can ride along with you.
fasttortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #29
d_mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttortoise View Post
Hi David,

Just dropping you a line to wish you good luck and safe travels. That feeling of leaving the driveway and thinking "I'm really doing this!!" must have been exhilarating!

Keep posting so we can ride along with you.
Thanks buddy!

Actually the feeling was, 'damn that took a long time to load up, I hope I didn't forget anything and get better/faster at it. Oh, and don't crash in front of everyone! :)

But yes, exhilarating as well. I was singing in my helmet and dancing on the seat for the first few hours.

Today I only made it to Chattanooga. Partly because I was hungover from last night and got a late start (I'm pretty sure we cleaned Santa's out of PBRs), partly because it never got above 42 degrees (as low as 33 at one point!), and probably partly because I'm delaying the inevitable in Atlanta.

Regardless, I'll be there tomorrow. There will be a gap in 'ride reports' as I won't set off for the next part of the trip for about a month.

See everyone then!

~ D
Old 11-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #30
Catracho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Thumb

Looking forward to more!!!! Ride safe and maybe I'll meet up with ya down there. I'm leaving end of December
Although you may have to change to tecate or Bohemia as pbr will be hard to find. I do remember buying 24 cans of old Milwaukee in Honduras for $10