User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #31
marcjlmd
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 32
Cc1000

I'm in on this ride too. Will ride it with Christopher (TheRoss). We have done many rides together (SS1000, BBG 1500, CC50, B2B Insanity, SS5000). In Aug 2012 we rode from Lubbock to the top of Pike's Peak and back to Lubbock for a very interesting and fun SS1000. This will be yet another great ride together.
A toast to Christopher's health! He survived a nasty accident while we were attempting a SS3000 last summer! What a great recovery he made!

Marc
marcjlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:13 AM   #32
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD_Rider View Post
550 miles? Here's a thought. A sick thought... After you check-in at the Finish and get a few hours of shut-eye, high tail it back to Lubbock and if you get home by 6:00 PM CT, claim a BunBurner (1500/36) along with your SaddleSore. You will just need someone to witness your arrival in Lubbock. Easy peasy.
It's a thought, but I'm at a point where I just don't care about the certificates that much. What I look for are theme rides, rides using neat destinations, rallies, etc... But thanks for the idea!
TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #33
DrHaus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
This looks great...will have to do some checking with a buddy to see if he can make it also. Normally do a different local 1000 mile ride in August, but this sounds better!

Normally do the 100,000 ft ride with the club and that's a great time...I like the idea of ending up at a place to sleep - not much fun finishing then having a long ride to get home.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #34
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,925
Just registered.....Hope I make the "cut of 60".

We'll see if a KTM 950 Adventure can carve out 1k miles in 24 hours.

Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #35
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
This kind of ride is new to me, so someone please explain. I don't understand why anyone would won't to rush through some of the most scenic country anywhere.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #36
LD_Rider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
Just registered.....Hope I make the "cut of 60".

We'll see if a KTM 950 Adventure can carve out 1k miles in 24 hours.

Big John, you're in! PM sent. We've had several riders complete prior events on KTM 950 Adventures, and I've got money down that you'll easily finish in less than 24 hours, even at posted speeds. It's a very scenic route and is meant to be enjoyed. Mind your time, but what's the hurry?
LD_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #37
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,533
For me it's just the opposite. When I ride with groups that stop all the time for long breaks and banter I get frustrated because I think there is so much more to see while riding long distances. :/)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
This kind of ride is new to me, so someone please explain. I don't understand why anyone would won't to rush through some of the most scenic country anywhere.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #38
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
This is the sort of ride that should really be ridden alone. It's easy to get in trouble when riding someone else's pace.

I've previously done and certified SaddleSore (1000 miles/24 hours) and BunBurner Gold (1500/24), but I'm looking forward to the solitude of riding all day and seeing a lot of Colorado miles in the same day.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #39
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
There is all kinds of riding. This is just one of them. Personally, some days I enjoy riding more than stopping. Other days I enjoy stopping often and being lucky to knock out 100 miles.

This is a fun ride. If you've ever wanted to complete an IBA SaddleSore 1000, but the idea of a day on the interstate doesn't appeal to you, then this is the perfect ride. Kill two birds with one stone. SS1000 and some of the most beautiful country in the USA.

If you're not interested in a thousand mile day, no worries, you don't have to participate. This is just one facet of motorcycling and is definitely not for everyone. Just like staggered formation parades with dozens of bikes aren't for everyone, either...

To make it fun, I'm planning on riding one of my Guzzi sportsbikes. It will be a helluva day, and I'm looking forward to it. It's only one day of a long weekend, though. I'll spend the day before the ride hanging out in the Denver area, then the day after I'll probably spend some time in RMNP.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #40
LD_Rider OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
For me it's just the opposite. When I ride with groups that stop all the time for long breaks and banter I get frustrated because I think there is so much more to see while riding long distances. :/)
This isn't a group ride. Participants are free to ride on their own or in a group of their choosing. Obviously, everyone has different tolerances. Personally, I'm good for about 200 miles at a pop, but then I hit my wall at about 700 miles and have to get off for an hour. Then it's back on and I can crank out a few more hours without much difficulty. Before I know it, I'm at the Finish. YMMV.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #41
LD_Rider OP
Adventurer

Only 15 spots remaining, so sign up now if you're planning to participate. The Grand Lake Lodge is sold out but rooms are still available on our room block if you want to stay there when you arrive at the Finish, but they're going fast.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:41 AM   #42
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 312
Bump for a cool ride!

LD_Rider.......... How many spots remain?

2bold2getold............ If doing Colorado in a 1000 mile day doesn't sound like fun to you, I would take a look at the Colorado BMW Club's annual 100,000 foot mountain pass ride. It is closer to a 500 mile ride, usually put on in August, covering tons of mountain passes. I have done it a few times and it has always been a blast. And again, it is not just for BMW riders.
TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #43
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoss View Post
Bump for a cool ride!

LD_Rider.......... How many spots remain?

2bold2getold............ If doing Colorado in a 1000 mile day doesn't sound like fun to you, I would take a look at the Colorado BMW Club's annual 100,000 foot mountain pass ride. It is closer to a 500 mile ride, usually put on in August, covering tons of mountain passes. I have done it a few times and it has always been a blast. And again, it is not just for BMW riders.
Been riding CO jeep trails and passes since The early 70s, when we used to ride them on trials bikes. Just never thought of (wanted to) doing it this way. But I can completely understand how you guys might find it fun. I just came at it from a different place.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #44
LD_Rider OP
Adventurer

58 spots taken as of today, 2 spots left.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #45
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,974
LD Rider,
I see the route book will be given out @ sign-in, will you have a GPS file for download of the route also @ that time?
I would prefer to use my Garmin Montana but have limited time on a roadbook.
I guess I could mount my Rally roadbook reader but I rather not.
Any help would be appreciated.
Also, the route opens @ 5:00 AM, are the roadbooks available the night before or just before 5:00 AM?
I'm in the Springs, and don't know if I'm just going to ride up in the morning or spend the night up in Denver, and a little insite on how these are distributed will help in my decision.
Thanks!
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote