User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
Deacon66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
1190 adventure, which panniers?

Just ordered my 1190 ADV but can't make up my mind on panniers. Integrated touring panniers or touratech 38/45L aluminum set up. Pros and cons of each?

Thanks
2011 Ninja 1000
2013 HD Softail Slim
Deacon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
Jensdccom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I didn't order the bike yet but I did do some research about the panniers. Some of the users on this forum prefer the size above the looks. I don't . They have to be big enough for a weekend trip but also have to be "good looking". I think I'll buy the "SW Mototech Trax Evo" panniers as soon as I have the bike.

In the previous versions of the pannier it seemed that they weren't completely waterproof. That issue should be/is solved by now.
Jensdccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
Deacon66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensdccom View Post
I didn't order the bike yet but I did do some research about the panniers. Some of the users on this forum prefer the size above the looks. I don't . They have to be big enough for a weekend trip but also have to be "good looking". I think I'll buy the "SW Mototech Trax Evo" panniers as soon as I have the bike.

In the previous versions of the pannier it seemed that they weren't completely waterproof. That issue should be/is solved by now.
Thanks, I have the trax on my Vstrom and the locks are horrible, one of them crumbled to pieces after about a week... On the road. I like the boxes otherwise. Hope you enjoy your bike...I am told the bike should come in January... We shall see.
2011 Ninja 1000
2013 HD Softail Slim
Old 11-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
jj_pt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
You have other possibilities:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883536

and still waiting for availability on these http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576044
Old 11-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
Jensdccom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon66 View Post
Thanks, I have the trax on my Vstrom and the locks are horrible, one of them crumbled to pieces after about a week... On the road. I like the boxes otherwise. Hope you enjoy your bike...I am told the bike should come in January... We shall see.
If I am correct they already have a third version of the panniers. Maybe the locks are fixed? I will need to do a bit more research.

I'm waiting for the "auto en motosalon" in the capital of my country. Translated it would sound like "car and motorcycle saloon/fair". All the big brands show their new cars/motorcycles and give nice discounts/extras. Maybe KTM does something nice.
Jensdccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Dr LC8
...soon or later

Oddometer: 832
The Nomada Pro are really nice and shaped better tant Touratech in my opinion. I have the old square 35l Touratech Alu for my KTM. When compared to they are not any better and overall I would say same quality. The only problem is that you defitively need inner bags when you use alu panniers.
Personally today I would by the 31l or 29l as panniers always have a strong aerodynamic impact and they are though when used off road.
The standard KTM Powerparts are not nice in my opinion.

Ciao

Nic
2003 KTM LC8 950 ADV
Trips:Europe,Africa,Asia
Dr LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
barbadv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I chose the touring panniers for my R for two reasons : look better (for me) and the fixation on the bike was integrated, nothing stay when you pull out the panniers.
But those panniers are poor quality, very poor.
Mine are not water proof, fixing on the bike does not inspire confidence and the closure of the cover is not good, it may tap on it for a correct closing.
I've read on a a french forum a man which couldn't take off the pannier.
I've deposed the panniers to the dealer for a change into warranty, waiting ktm response at the moment.
barbadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #8
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
i use the ktm touring panniers the quality isn't the best ,they are not waterproof but i think it looks the best with the bike and the capacity is the one of the biggest in the ktm market. the locks are bad.

i had 2 warranty jobs done on my boxes
once the right box didn't came out and they change it with a new one under warranty.
and once my left bag decided to not to lock ! they change all the lock system on it under warranty .

for now they are doing well. good for long trips and also not good for over 180 km as the bike doesn't feel safe with them. but i guess all the adventure dual sport enduro bikes are the same with the luggage. at the end of the day this isn't a kawasaki gtr 1400 :)
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Deacon66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbadv View Post
I chose the touring panniers for my R for two reasons : look better (for me) and the fixation on the bike was integrated, nothing stay when you pull out the panniers.
But those panniers are poor quality, very poor.
Mine are not water proof, fixing on the bike does not inspire confidence and the closure of the cover is not good, it may tap on it for a correct closing.
I've read on a a french forum a man which couldn't take off the pannier.
I've deposed the panniers to the dealer for a change into warranty, waiting ktm response at the moment.
Thanks, waterproofing is absolutely critical for me. Preparing for a month long trip Florida to Alaska and back. Expect plenty of rain and don't want wet gear. Along with other responses, I've decided to eliminate the integrated touring bags from the short list but I will look at other options as well.

Thanks to all who responded.
2011 Ninja 1000
2013 HD Softail Slim
Old 11-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
Deacon66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr LC8 View Post
The Nomada Pro are really nice and shaped better tant Touratech in my opinion. I have the old square 35l Touratech Alu for my KTM. When compared to they are not any better and overall I would say same quality. The only problem is that you defitively need inner bags when you use alu panniers.
Personally today I would by the 31l or 29l as panniers always have a strong aerodynamic impact and they are though when used off road.
The standard KTM Powerparts are not nice in my opinion.

Ciao

Nic
Thanks, I will look at the Nomada Pros for sure. They look nice and the price is competitive.
2011 Ninja 1000
2013 HD Softail Slim
Old 11-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #11
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I have the chance last weekend to compare the Nomada pro and the Touratech whit the Glovescout and in my opinion the Glovescout are the best ones. Not only looks very good, but the welding is perfect. Also are Complete waterproof.
In terms of price, I'm not sure which ones are the most expensive, but I strongly recommend you to have a look on the Glovescout ones.
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
We have another option now.

Jesse Bags

I've had these on my 800XC for a couple years. Totally waterproof and they have taken a few offs without structural damage. Not recommended for any serious off-road action, well not recommended for me.
And according to the builder my existing bags will work on the 1190 with the purchase of the mounts only!
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:16 AM   #13
Deacon66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
We have another option now.

Jesse Bags

I've had these on my 800XC for a couple years. Totally waterproof and they have taken a few offs without structural damage. Not recommended for any serious off-road action, well not recommended for me.
And according to the builder my existing bags will work on the 1190 with the purchase of the mounts only!
Thanks, the Jesse bags look nice. Decisions, decisions.
2011 Ninja 1000
2013 HD Softail Slim
Old 11-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #14
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
When my R arrives my plan is to install Kriega Overland 60 on the TT rack. Later I will likely get hard panniers as well.

Having the right side stick out further than the bars concerns me. Does it concern anyone else? Does anyone know a combination that stays within the width of the bars?
Old 11-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #15
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 675
Givi

After inquiring Givi about their Trekker line and the 1190 Adv, I got some pictures in my inbox:

I quite like those Trekkers (I'm personally leaning towards plastic bags rather than aluminium).
dragos is offline   Reply With Quote