Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
Yukon PER
Blacksheep

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPORet View Post
You're a lot closer to Pittsburgh, but if you're looking at MD & VA you have Fredericktown Yamaha/Triumph in
Frederick MD, and a relatively new Triumph only shop in Manassas VA (Manassas Triumph). I've been to both,
had my 20k svc done at Fredericktown, and tires swapped at Manassas. Both are pretty good dealerships.
Small, out of the way shops where you know you're not paying for the building. Manassas Triumph is rather tiny,
and they share space with an auto shop. I'd call and schedule with them before riding down there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilCon76 View Post
Johnstown PA, you are aways up there from me. I rode through there to visit family in September. There is a place in State College, never been there but might be decent. Certainly closer than here to you.
There is only one shop now in the suburban Pittsburgh area, and they have only sold the Triumph line for less than one year. They were not aware of the problem. The shop that was located on the north side of Pittsburgh lost their franchise for the same reason my dealer lost his. I appreciate your advice and I am willing to travel to have the work done by a dealership that if familiar with the issue and has successfully completed the repairs.
Yukon PER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #17
Misadventure-Brad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thanks for sharing, Wilcon.

I too bought my Explorer at Chesapeake and have it scheduled to go in for the head swap on Dec 2nd. So far, their service has been great. They've been extremely understanding and helpful.

My biggest gripe though is no loaner bike as I do commute on my explorer.. one reason I put it off to colder weather. Keep us up to date on how the build goes. I'd like to know your thoughts of the engine post fix.

Did the mechanic mention to you any ECU updates? Over at the explorer forum, a lot of the guys have been talking about having a new update after the build.

Good luck!
Old 11-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #18
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
My intake valves looked much worse than that, and I was told nothing would be done and I was running "bad gas" in it.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #19
WilCon76 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I agree with the no loaner bike. I commute on mine as well. It has really dented my pocket book, more than $300 difference in fuel used. I actually mentioned the ECU update to them as well as the TPS failing. The update should be automatic when they plug it in to reprogram after the rebuild.

ZZ4, wow. I would not be happy with that answer at all. Not sure what bad gas has to do with oil on the valves.
WilCon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
I was told these are "fuel deposits" on a bike with 8k miles on it.

Looked more like oil coked to me. I argued and argued. The shop told me Triumph would not replace them. And if I wanted them done it would be something like $700 for new valves

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #21
WilCon76 OP
Adventurer

Mine were replaced but they were also under sized at the stem. Could be why I had zero issues.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
Brian06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Mine looked the same and were replaced with no hassles. Dealer submitted a 2nd warranty claim to Triumph and a week later the valves arrived.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #23
2bigkids
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Do i want to buy one now ?

Me and my pillion have a real liking for this bike and want to buy one. These issues make me wonder if they copied BMW in the reliability stakes. My friends 1200gsa had the drive shaft explode out of warranty. Are any of these modern bikes any good ?
2bigkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:07 AM   #24
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bigkids View Post
Me and my pillion have a real liking for this bike and want to buy one. These issues make me wonder if they copied BMW in the reliability stakes. My friends 1200gsa had the drive shaft explode out of warranty. Are any of these modern bikes any good ?
The only mistake anyone has made is not to buy Japanese.
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:46 AM   #25
WilCon76 OP
Adventurer

In some ways I agree with the above. I had only one service issue with all of the Japanese bikes I have owned and it was a recall for the transmission. The parts were in stock and it was fixed in two days. For what it's worth however I have also owned two Victory motorcycles and have never had any service issue with them.

I will reserve final judgment on the TEX until after I get it back and see how long I go without any more issues.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #26
pedroecompanhia
Restless Rider

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bigkids View Post
Easy peasy...buy Yamaha S10. Zero issues to me with 19000kms on it.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #27
WilCon76 OP
Adventurer

45 days in waiting. Latest saga was a hairline crack in the shim, had to two day air a replacement. Hopefully came in today, will most likely hit 50 days in the shop before I get the bike back.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #28
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilCon76 View Post
45 days in waiting. Latest saga was a hairline crack in the shim, had to two day air a replacement. Hopefully came in today, will most likely hit 50 days in the shop before I get the bike back.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #29
WilCon76 OP
Adventurer

Could not have said it better.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #30
AdakTriumph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I've had my bike for almost a year now and I have about 14400 miles on it. There are many different noises on my bike I hear during normal operation, all of them have been checked out by a guy at a dealership and he says they are fine. A few people have asked him about the noises before me. I don't normally question my mechanic, but how do I know the noises you heard aren't the same as mine?
AdakTriumph is offline   Reply With Quote