Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #46
Mtneer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon PER View Post
There is only one shop now in the suburban Pittsburgh area, and they have only sold the Triumph line for less than one year. They were not aware of the problem. The shop that was located on the north side of Pittsburgh lost their franchise for the same reason my dealer lost his. I appreciate your advice and I am willing to travel to have the work done by a dealership that if familiar with the issue and has successfully completed the repairs.
Didn't know that European Motorsports lost their franchise also, was going to call them to get some parts. I guess Mosites(don't know if I spelled correctly)is the closet dealer now. Haven't talked to Tim at Windber, since he lost his franchise, will still use him for service when needed, his mechanic Bernie is top notch, never worry about anything he wrenches on. It's a shame that 2 good dealers close by aren't selling Triumphs any more. I like my Triumphs, but it seems since the former Harley guy started running N.America he is trying to make the dealerships like more boutique like, and less cycle shop, selling a lifestyle instead of a motorcycle, wants customers to massage each others egos because they own a certain brand, sorry for the rant. Good luck getting your warranty work done, I'll be in the same situation if the Tiger 800 I purchased has any problems.
Mtneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #47
Lightisright
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
As ZZ4Blazer, my valves looked exactly the same (I don't have pics), they were just wire wheel cleaned and reused. No mention on whether they were undersized or even measured. The head swap was done at 11,000 miles, now have 17,000 miles and no issues.

Also, pretty sure the dealer did not update my tune, so it has the same one from new (May'12). I have the dealertool and it has the same engine tune number from before the head swap (#020641). On another forum, a guy had his tune change from 020641 to 02064X (can't recall exactly right now the last digit). I know the UK might run different tunes, but our before tune was the same number.
Lightisright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #48
bighairless
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Interesting reading…
I called the dealer I purchased the bike from and asked for the Triumph tech. After getting the run around about him being out…someone else could check out the bike... we don’t know of any head issues on the 1200…etc; I insisted to set up an appointment with the Triumph tech and told he was out, they didn’t know when he would be back. WTF and screw that…

I drove the bike to another dealership and asked to speak to the Triumph tech. The tech new about the issue, told me there was a ‘head kit’ to fix the issue and asked to hear the bike. After he listened to it, he told me mine had a rattle but wasn’t as bad as the last one he replaced the head on. The tech wrote down the VIN number and said let’s go call Triumph. The tech hangs up after five minutes or so on the phone and tells me the head kit will be here in about a week. I wasn’t in the dealership 15 minutes.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #49
WilCon76 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Hard to believe how resistant some dealers are to doing warranty work.
WilCon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #50
CPORet
I Am Kirok!

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilCon76 View Post
Hard to believe how resistant some dealers are to doing warranty work.
Most likely due to the stuff they (dealers) have to put up with regarding warranty work. It's a TON of paperwork, and
if all of the i's aren't dotted and t's crossed, then the mfgr denies the claim and the dealership/bike owner can end up
getting stuck for the cost of the repair. My dealer down in NC used to complain about all the crap they had to go
through with BMW and their claim process. That's part of the reason I switched from a BMW to a Triumph.
CPORet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #51
Yukon PER
Blacksheep

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtneer View Post
Haven't talked to Tim at Windber, since he lost his franchise, will still use him for service when needed, his mechanic Bernie is top notch, never worry about anything he wrenches on. It's a shame that 2 good dealers close by aren't selling Triumphs any more.
I bought the Explorer knowing that if I had a problem, Bernie would be able to take care of it. It is a shame that Triumph was willing to toss that kind of experience to the curb in favor of the boutique dealerships. Any routine maintenance on my bike will still be handled by Windber.
Yukon PER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #52
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdakTriumph View Post
What were the events that lead you into looking into your valves and what was the final outcome.

The standard head replacement. Upon disassembly, that's what was found.

The valves were media blasted I believe, then installed in the new head.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #53
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightisright View Post
As ZZ4Blazer, my valves looked exactly the same (I don't have pics), they were just wire wheel cleaned and reused. No mention on whether they were undersized or even measured. The head swap was done at 11,000 miles, now have 17,000 miles and no issues.

Also, pretty sure the dealer did not update my tune, so it has the same one from new (May'12). I have the dealertool and it has the same engine tune number from before the head swap (#020641). On another forum, a guy had his tune change from 020641 to 02064X (can't recall exactly right now the last digit). I know the UK might run different tunes, but our before tune was the same number.
Which dealer is this?

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #54
Velvet
Very smooth

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtneer View Post
Didn't know that European Motorsports lost their franchise also, was going to call them to get some parts. I guess Mosites(don't know if I spelled correctly)is the closet dealer now.

I just found out a couple of days ago about European Motorcycles of Pitt not doing Triumph anymore. According to their website they still apparently service them but I dont know about warranty issues. They did the first service on my 2011 Sprint GT this past May and I was quite pleased with them even though they once screwed me back in 2010 with a BMW problem that I was having....and 1800 miles from home. When I stay at my bros house he lives 5 minutes from Mosites but I was reluctant to use them for my first service. I may have to use them afterall for a service this summer when I ride back.

I like my Triumphs, but it seems since the former Harley guy started running N.America he is trying to make the dealerships like more boutique like, and less cycle shop, selling a lifestyle instead of a motorcycle, wants customers to massage each others egos because they own a certain brand, sorry for the rant.

Apparently he's the same DICK that dropped the Buell line from Harley.
Sorry for my rant also.

Velvet screwed with this post 11-25-2013 at 07:22 AM
Velvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #55
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
The owner of our Triumph store let me take his personal Tiger as a loaner when they replaced the head on mine. I'd be hard pressed to find anything negative to say about Baxter Cycle in Marne, Iowa...
+1 I've dealt with Baxter cycle. good people
mikejohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #56
WilCon76 OP
Adventurer

Got mine back yesterday. It is quieter but not completely quiet if that makes sense. It's a bit of a noisy motor. When riding and with a helmet on it's smooth and that is a major improvement. I am overly sensitive right now because of all of the issues. We will see after a few weeks if anything sticks out as not good. Have to call Triumph on Monday to see what compensation they are going to do, they have repeated multiple times they were going to go above and beyond when I got it back to make it up to me for 52 days of no bike.

Ride review, so glad to have it back. What a great motorcycle when it's running properly. Smooth, lots of power, stops, turns, everything it does it does really well.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #57
Misadventure-Brad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Thanks for the follow up Wilcon. I'm getting nervous about taking mine in (to the same dealer) on Dec 2nd. I enjoy the bike a lot.. I just want to know that it's going to be dependable down the road post warranty.

Is there another period of break in or specific instructions from the dealer post fix? Also did they mention anything about warranty extension? Read some of the guys getting a 1 year extension, but maybe that's not for triumph USA customers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilCon76 View Post
Got mine back yesterday. It is quieter but not completely quiet if that makes sense. It's a bit of a noisy motor. When riding and with a helmet on it's smooth and that is a major improvement. I am overly sensitive right now because of all of the issues. We will see after a few weeks if anything sticks out as not good. Have to call Triumph on Monday to see what compensation they are going to do, they have repeated multiple times they were going to go above and beyond when I got it back to make it up to me for 52 days of no bike.

Ride review, so glad to have it back. What a great motorcycle when it's running properly. Smooth, lots of power, stops, turns, everything it does it does really well.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #58
WilCon76 OP
Adventurer

Nope, no additional break in guidance. The new hydraulic cam chain adjuster is what is noisy apparently. They also did not mention the warranty from the dealer level. I do however have to call Triumph USA on Monday to see what else is happening for me. They have said they are going to compensate me for the amount of time this took. I will post back again.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #59
WilCon76 OP
Adventurer

Triumph took care of me extremely well for my down time. I could not have asked for more compensation without being completely greedy. I have never had a company step up this well to apologize for an issue. Simply phenomenal. The total compensation comes to around 2k, remarkable.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #60
CrookedRoad
n00b

Oddometer: 7
What year models are having head issues?Do you think if I bought a new 2013 from a US dealer that I would be taking a chance on having problems?
CrookedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote