Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #61
WilCon76 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Mine is a 13. If they do the fix it's all worth it. The bike is amazing.
WilCon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #62
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilCon76 View Post
Triumph took care of me extremely well for my down time. I could not have asked for more compensation without being completely greedy. I have never had a company step up this well to apologize for an issue. Simply phenomenal. The total compensation comes to around 2k, remarkable.
Triumph is a fantastic brand. BMW could really learn something from their example.

Congrats on the fix.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #63
Velvet
Very smooth

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Triumph took care of me extremely well for my down time. I could not have asked for more compensation without being completely greedy. I have never had a company step up this well to apologize for an issue. Simply phenomenal. The total compensation comes to around 2k, remarkable.
Thats awesome to hear. Though I don't own an Explorer yet I hope I never have to find out how nice they are once I have one. My '11 Sprint GT has given me zero problems...and I really like that.
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #64
Velvet
Very smooth

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
Triumph is a fantastic brand. BMW could really learn something from their example.

Congrats on the fix.
Ok, since this can of worms has been opened, I have to definitely agree on that one. I've been screwed by BMW twice and its not going to happen a third time.
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #65
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
That is excellent!

Yes some 2013s are affected (like mine). You can check the VIN to know for sure as there is a point after which the issue was resolved.

Sent from my Pocket Altair 8800
Hank.SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #66
WilCon76 OP
Adventurer

So I received the parts and the check on Wednesday. They shipped the parts in two days and they air next day sent the check. What a remarkable brand. I don't often buy into a brand but it is very hard to not love this bike and Triumph. I take it in tomorrow to get the grips and seats put on. Using the money Triumph sent to support my local dealer with some easy work while I have my kids for the holiday!
Old 11-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #67
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 425
Mine has been in the shop getting this head replacement worked on for a couple of weeks now. We started with having all the parts but apparently my dealer is having an issue getting the correct tool for some part of the cylinder. However, they have given me a demo Ducati Multistrada 1200S while I wait and frankly they can just keep working on my TEX as long as they want. Took the wife out yesterday before stuffing ourselves silly with Thanksgiving diner. She usually rides her own 800XC but wanted to feel what a Ducati was all about and since this one is too tall for her so she gave in to being a passenger. The bike is super comfy even two-up. We were leaning way further over in the turns than I ever have on any bike - pegs don't drag as soon (and probably never will for me) - and we were flying way beyond any legal speed limit without much effort or thought. I think she actually enjoyed blasting along at triple digits through rural NM ranch land south of Santa Fe but with temps in the 30's we couldn't keep that up for too long without freezing our asses off. We stopped at one point and chatted about the bike. She said,"this bike is wife approved, now go trade in your Tiger".

Sounds like most everyone partaking in this discussion is from back east but I'll share my dealer info anyway. My local dealer is PJ's Triumph Ducati Husquavarna (sp?) in Albuquerque. He is a stand-up guy and I have never had any issues with him or his crew. The service guys are always straight up with me and I will continue to do business with him as long as I continue to ride. I have gotten a loaner bike every time I have had any service or warranty work done and I cannot see doing it any other way. Having to have someone else meet you at the dealer to give you a ride after dropping off your bike would be a royal PITA. As loaners, I have ridden everything from a Monster to a Thruxton and most times they just ask what I want to ride and then throw me the keys. The only issue I ever had was when they sent me home on a new Trophy that didn't have a plate and I got pulled over.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #68
cjmadura
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Just Great......

I've been toying with the idea of replacing my 2006 955 Tiger with an Explorer, but crap like this makes me think twice. The 955 has been a complete rock, simple to maintain and always ready for action. To lay out 17K on a bike and have an engine issue like this is sickening. I've been riding 955 Tigers for 10 years now, but is it wise for me to lay out another $12K over my Tiger to upgrade?

I don't know........
cjmadura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:35 AM   #69
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Ok, since this can of worms has been opened, I have to definitely agree on that one. I've been screwed by BMW twice and its not going to happen a third time.
Yup. My GSA with just over 15k miles blew a final drive this summer (August 5?) and I didn't get the bike back until mid October.

That's not customer service. That's not giving a flying squirrel about the customer. Nevermind the fact that the final drive issue has just about become their trademark by now.

And that's just this years escapade with BMW's lack of quality and customer service.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #70
ongrade
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmadura View Post

I've been toying with the idea of replacing my 2006 955 Tiger with an Explorer, but crap like this makes me think twice. The 955 has been a complete rock, simple to maintain and always ready for action. To lay out 17K on a bike and have an engine issue like this is sickening. I've been riding 955 Tigers for 10 years now, but is it wise for me to lay out another $12K over my Tiger to upgrade?

I don't know........
Sickening? If a design flaw is sickening then the roads should be covered with puke and guts from owners of every brand motorcycle. They all have issues with various models, the difference is the way Triumph has handled it.
ongrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #71
nwbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Just wanted to toss in another positive experience.

My dealer (Triumph of Seattle) diagnosed the problem last summer and received approval from Triumph NA to replace the head. The dealer offered to do it then but asked if I minded waiting until things slowed down in the fall. That didn't bother me and maybe they'd have a little more experience with the job by the time they worked on mine.

Last month I dropped it off on a Saturday and picked it up the following Saturday. I could have gotten a loaner but really didn't need it. Explorer sounds great now. They also cleaned up some wiring for a trailer. (I had just started wiring in the harness when I got a call they were ready for me.)

Mine was the first one they sold and I knew there could be teething problems with a new model and a new engine. I've got 18,000 miles on it and plan on keeping it a long time. Happy camper.
nwbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #72
Bamabeast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
time for a lil head

just dropped the tex xc off at red mountain of Birmingham AL for the head replacement today this will be there 2nd one so hope it all goes ok so i can get it back in time for my new years day ride they said they would have for me no problem will see wish me luck.
Bamabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #73
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
My head replacement didn't take more than 2 weeks either. It was there a month, but only because I hadn't been there to pick it up. Triumph of Fargo has really impressed me thus far.
Hank.SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #74
WilCon76 OP
Adventurer

Glad so many are going well. Wish mine had but Triumph did make it up to me.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #75
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Glad so many are going well. Wish mine had but Triumph did make it up to me.
It's all about the support. Glad they came through for you.

Love my Tex too

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote