Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 645
I did some poking around the web and found out it can be heard for a quarter mile or more. I also found various other recordings which convinced me that's what I was hearing, and why I would hear it so many places year after year. Admittedly I don't really know much about birds, so I was skeptical until I did some more research. The idea that a bird made this sound would never have occurred to me. But without you guys I wouldn't have even known where to start looking. Thanks, seriously this noise has been a mystery to me for over 20 years. Now it's a mystery no more.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #17
imgoin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
One more,,,
This was Sept. 2010 riding the TAT. I was on Wheeler Mt. Outside of Baker NV.
This was a cold night, I had to wiz, put on my little red headlight so I could see where to place my feet. Crawl up and out of the little bicycle tent I use. Step out to the right of camp, and I picked my head to shine the light out. Wow, must of been six pairs of animal eyes looking at me. Shitballs. Did my biz, jumped back in the super safe tent and went back to sleep.

LMAO, every time I think about this, I recall "Pee Wee Herman's BigAdventure". In the dark and all he could see were the big animal eyes starring at him.

The eyes I saw in my camp were all deer.

But this picture came to mind.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:38 AM   #18
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
That's actually really close. Can I ask if you know how loud this really is in the field? Seems like I have some more investigating to do.
Not riding, but somewhat similar. I was out hiking, it was late, and heard this sound, it sounded exactly like when you try to kick start a thumper and it doesn't start, the sound of the air coming out of the exhaust. I was like "WTF? There's no riding out here?" Then I heard it again, but it sounded closer. "How did it move if it didn't start?" Then I heard it again and realized it had a distinctly animal sound to it. And all of a sudden the bushes in front of me start shaking and something took off about twenty yards to my left. "WTF!?" I got a little closer to the bush and heard a chorus of the same sound, in miniature. I leaned down and shined my flashlight under the bush and there were three baby javelina under the bush barking at me. I heard the louder sound again getting closer behind me. I hauled ass. Javelina can be mean, especially when it's a momma naking at an intruder to get away from her babies.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #19
Luke1
b00b

Oddometer: 30
[/QUOTE]

Amazing video.
Luke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #20
Turbo Ghost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Back about 1986 or 87 I was sleeping way up on a mountain in Virginia on my sister's property in the back of my 1978 International Harvester Scout II (God I miss her!). It was pitch black, no moon and the Scout was black too. I'm dead to the world when suddenly something slams into the side of the Scout bringing it up almost on two wheels! I got my flashlight and shined it around through the windows and didn't see anything staring back at me so, I went back to sleep. I figure it was a black bear in a hurry and didn't see the Scout and did a face-plant and ran off.

I just remembered another one. It was right around the same time period. I was with a friend in the aforementioned Scout (did I mention how much I miss her!?) We were riding around on a mountain road in TN. with cameras mounted on the mirrors filming for a short film. This was probably after midnight. We stopped to get out and pee. While we were peeing, we heard this huge crack and boom! It was obvious it was a tree falling but, we felt we should get out of there quickly! We jumped back in and hauled ass back the way we came! As we rounded the next corner there was a tree across the road. About a 10" diameter tree that was green and healthy and snapped off about 6' from the base! It didn't fall on it's own! I did not stop to investigate!! On the video, you could see the tree and then it goes all wonky when we hit it and jumped it! Good times...good times!

Not really creepy but, on that same mountain in VA., I had what I assumed was a bobcat pace me as I was hiking to the peak. When I walked, it walked. When I stopped, it stopped. It kept about 75 yards or so to my right but, I never saw it.
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
speedygee68
dirt eater

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by THB View Post
Years ago in high school. We were chasing bunnies in our jeep. Broke down in a cinder pit. Clutch issue. Years later, riding three wheelers in the same area. Clutch cable broke in the same pit. I stayed for a while so my buddy could ride back and get the truck. Lots of strange sounds, so I said screw it and rode out anyway.

Another one. A few years ago, I was riding with my boys out near Box Canyon east of the valley. One of my sons chain jumped off the rear sprocket. We didn't have tools so we opted to ride back to the truck, load up, and then drive back to the broken down bike. My youngest son volunteered to stay with the bike. Took us about an hour to get back to him. As we came around a bend in the road, we saw him with someone (shadow type figure) standing behind him. We both freaked wondering who it was. As we got closer, there was nobody there with him. We yelled at him as we got closer who that was. He didn't understand. We told him what we saw and he said he thought he heard some strange noises.

Last one. About one month ago, we are riding a favorite trail up near Camp Verde. Oldest son is leading, youngest is following him, a friend behind him and I am sucking up rear. Come over a hill and I see my youngest son with all of his gear off and his jersey. I came up asking what was wrong, thinking that he crashed, He said his back was burning. I looked and there were three scratches across his back. Looked like claw marks. No blood, but very distinct. He had a chest/back protector on so there is no way a tree branch or anything got him. We finally got him geared back up and headed out. About 30 minutes later, we reached a spot where we always stop for a break. I asked him to take the jersey off so that I could see the scratches again. They were completely gone!

I am not riding with this guy. And thanks to you, I will be sleeping with all of the lights on in my househttp://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/eekers.gif

08 KTM 990S, 08 Husky TE610,
speedygee68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:38 AM   #22
snooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
Back about 1986 or 87 I was sleeping way up on a mountain in Virginia on my sister's property in the back of my 1978 International Harvester Scout II (God I miss her!). It was pitch black, no moon and the Scout was black too. I'm dead to the world when suddenly something slams into the side of the Scout bringing it up almost on two wheels! I got my flashlight and shined it around through the windows and didn't see anything staring back at me so, I went back to sleep. I figure it was a black bear in a hurry and didn't see the Scout and did a face-plant and ran off.

I just remembered another one. It was right around the same time period. I was with a friend in the aforementioned Scout (did I mention how much I miss her!?) We were riding around on a mountain road in TN. with cameras mounted on the mirrors filming for a short film. This was probably after midnight. We stopped to get out and pee. While we were peeing, we heard this huge crack and boom! It was obvious it was a tree falling but, we felt we should get out of there quickly! We jumped back in and hauled ass back the way we came! As we rounded the next corner there was a tree across the road. About a 10" diameter tree that was green and healthy and snapped off about 6' from the base! It didn't fall on it's own! I did not stop to investigate!! On the video, you could see the tree and then it goes all wonky when we hit it and jumped it! Good times...good times!

Not really creepy but, on that same mountain in VA., I had what I assumed was a bobcat pace me as I was hiking to the peak. When I walked, it walked. When I stopped, it stopped. It kept about 75 yards or so to my right but, I never saw it.
i still have my 77 SS2 (scout)..they are fun toys...prolly a female bigfoot you ran into..she was just trying to make you her boyfriend..women are like that..mine baited me as well with hot food and certain god given features....god speed
snooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:30 AM   #23
Turbo Ghost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooter View Post
i still have my 77 SS2 (scout)..they are fun toys...
Ah! The "Super Scout II"! I like those!
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
Adios Pantalones
AdventureDeficitDisorder

Oddometer: 2,318
About five years ago I was camped at Lizard Creek in Grand Teton NP.

I had been in Jackson Hole for a concert, (CSN!) rode back out to camp late. I was trying to be quiet so I just idled in slow and parked the GS facing in, instead of looping and parking facing out like I usually do.

I got off the bike and pulled off my helmet, I was just standing staring up at the stars before climbing in the tent. Then I heard it...

tick tick tick of canine feet coming up the pavement, big canine! I reached into the tank bag and got a light out, I turned it on and there's a bigass wolf standing in the road 20 feet from me.

No where to go so I eased around and put the bike between me and him. The flashlight didn't faze him. He just stared. So I reached around and switched on the ignition so the head light and riding lights lit me up. I "got big" with my arms over my head and yelled GIT!

He didn't even flinch, just stared. After what seemed like forever, but was really only about 15 seconds, he just moseyed off at his own pace.

Took me a while to get the adrenaline level down to where I could climb in the tent. About 30 minutes later I heard the roosting Geese down at the lakes edge go batshit. Figured he grabbed dinner!
Old 12-07-2013, 05:01 AM   #25
THB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygee68 View Post
I am not riding with this guy. And thanks to you, I will be sleeping with all of the lights on in my househttp://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/eekers.gif
Seriously, right! I forgot another one. Cherry area, again near Camp Verde. My older son and I are coming down a trail that gets into some heavy brush. The area is very arid, but the ground is always very moist here. Obviously some sort of underground spring. I'm leading, son is behind me. He is riding the YZ250. Not a quiet bike, especially when there is mud to be slung. Well, as he blipped the throttle, he said he heard a loud roar. It scared the crap out of him. We we stopped at a road crossing down the trail and he quickly takes his goggles and helmet off. His eyes are wide open, and is breathing hard. He swears it was Bigfoot. We've gone back through there several times. Seen some javelina and deer, so he's got a food supply too.
2003 Yamaha YZ250
THB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #26
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adios Pantalones View Post
About five years ago I was camped at Lizard Creek in Grand Teton NP.

I had been in Jackson Hole for a concert, (CSN!) rode back out to camp late. I was trying to be quiet so I just idled in slow and parked the GS facing in, instead of looping and parking facing out like I usually do.

I got off the bike and pulled off my helmet, I was just standing staring up at the stars before climbing in the tent. Then I heard it...

tick tick tick of canine feet coming up the pavement, big canine! I reached into the tank bag and got a light out, I turned it on and there's a bigass wolf standing in the road 20 feet from me.

No where to go so I eased around and put the bike between me and him. The flashlight didn't faze him. He just stared. So I reached around and switched on the ignition so the head light and riding lights lit me up. I "got big" with my arms over my head and yelled GIT!

He didn't even flinch, just stared. After what seemed like forever, but was really only about 15 seconds, he just moseyed off at his own pace.

Took me a while to get the adrenaline level down to where I could climb in the tent. About 30 minutes later I heard the roosting Geese down at the lakes edge go batshit. Figured he grabbed dinner!
My friend's Wife was hunting deer from a treestand with a bow about 2mi from their home and got surrounded by a pack of Wolves while up in the tree. She counted 16 in the clearing with more she could hear in the brush. A couple actually stood on hind legs and sniffed up the tree at her. One Bow, 4 arrows and 16+ Wolves! They stayed about 45 mins then left. She didn't climb down untill her husband came to collect her 2hrs later. Of course Wolves rarely attack and eat people!
Regards....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #27
TufelHunden
Recovering A-hole

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdakTriumph View Post
The creepiest thing that I have ever had happen was in January of 2007. I was only 16 at the time and my friend who I was riding with was 19. We raced together all the time, but today we were just hanging out riding up and down the mountains in Mammoth, CA.

I was following him down the mountain and out through a flat area with a river. At this time he was about 60 feet in front of me as he started to round a large rock formation. As I come around the rocks and saw the scene, I freaked out. His bike was up against a tree and he was laying flat on his back. As I stop he gets up and yells " WTF was that man, wtf man. Let's go!". I had no idea what he was talking about. I laid my bike up against the tree his bike was on while he was trying to pick his up and leave. I said "just to hold on a second, what's going on?"

It's at this time as I am watching him pick up his bike I see his back. There were claw marks that went completely through his jacket and cut his skin. The claw marks were about an inch apart and only 2 of the 4 reached his skin. I start to lose my mind and I tell him to chill out and listen. We don't hear or see anything and we can see for about a mile or two. I asked what happened? He said "something hit me off my bike and I'm about to freak out, you didn't see nothing?" "no man, I just saw you laying there." I told him lets just check it out since whatever it was is now gone, but keep your head up and shut the fuck up.

As I investigate where this thing came from I was surprised not to find any tracks in the area. It hasn't snowed since last night and its about 3 PM. Surely there should be some prints in the snow right? No, not until I investigated further. At the top of the rock formation was the tracks from where this thing launched itself, but no tracks leading to it. It must of been sitting here for hours I thought. This is where shit gets real. It landed about 25-30 paces away form where it jumped and about 30 paces after that the tracks disappeared at the base of a tree. Needless to say we immediately left and we told a ranger about what happend 2 days later. He said that he didn't have an answer.

Sup with that?
That is a classic mountain lion attack. They like to sit up high and ambush critters walking by. They can leap 40 feet or more. Your friend is lucky you were so close by.
TufelHunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #28
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgoin View Post
One more,,,
This was Sept. 2010 riding the TAT. I was on Wheeler Mt. Outside of Baker NV.
This was a cold night, I had to wiz, put on my little red headlight so I could see where to place my feet. Crawl up and out of the little bicycle tent I use. Step out to the right of camp, and I picked my head to shine the light out. Wow, must of been six pairs of animal eyes looking at me. Shitballs. Did my biz, jumped back in the super safe tent and went back to sleep.

LMAO, every time I think about this, I recall "Pee Wee Herman's BigAdventure". In the dark and all he could see were the big animal eyes starring at him.

The eyes I saw in my camp were all deer.

But this picture came to mind.

Hi imgoin!
What is the story behind this pic if you don't mind sharing? Looks like the Cougar wants his lunch. Obviously it was dark and the cougar showed up in the flash. Do you know any more details?
Regards....just jeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #29
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
burglars with guns

I dislike crowded campgrounds, but was left no choice about 20 years ago. To avoid the winds, my 10 year old son and I chose a campsite between two old camp trailers that looked pretty much abandoned. After dinner we put away our stuff and after soem card games, we went to sleep about 10pm. After midnight we were awakened by vehicle headlights and two loud drunks breaking into one of the trailers as they cussed each other about how the crowbar wasn't big enough and whose fault was that for bringing such a small crowbar. That was followed by gunshots and more loud voices, and the same vehicle showering our tent with dirt and gravel as it sped away in the dark. Cell phone coverage was nil, so we just stayed in the tent - I doubt if either of us closed more than one eye until dawn when we quietly packed and scrammed out of there.

Ken Fritz screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 10:14 PM
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #30
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I don't have a story... but love reading these. I'm a member of a few other forums with similar threads and thought if anyone else was interested...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=3375