Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #31
Friz Freleng
Zorgon of Mars

Oddometer: 158
I like going to Death Valley, and on one of my trips I stayed at Texas campground. The place wasn't crowded and the campsites are fairly large, so I was surprised when a guy--who was from Poland--wanted to share my spot. I told him no (Dude! Really?!), so he parked in the spot next to me. Odd. That evening he asks me if I'd like to have some coffee with him, so I go over to his picnic table and he sits across and we have what I thought was a pretty pleasant conversation about Europe's campgrounds, blah, blah, blah.

Twenty minutes into the conversation he abruptly pulls out this big ass hunting knife from underneath his jacket! WTF times 2! On that particular trip I happened to be carrying a Sig Sauer 9mm in my jacket. I know, I know, concealed weapon etc. Keep in mind that Death Valley has a certain desolate creepiness about it, amplified by the fact that Charles Manson and his group had once hidden themselves up in the hills. If you drive/ride off the highway, you don't have to go far to realize that You Are On Your Own. And frankly, there are a lot of strange folks who live in the desert.

Anyway, this guy pulls out this honking broadsword and I instinctively push back from the table in an attempt to avoid an all but certain attack. He notices my reflexive reaction and gets this startled and embarrassed look on his face, apologizes over and over again, and explains that he wanted to cut an apple for us. He was shocked, I was shocked, and the whole thing was about to turn into a dramatic enactment what really happens when you bring a knife to a gunfight.

As it turned out, the guy was--you'll love this--an architect who was heading to Los Angeles for a job interview. In Europe, campers will sometimes share spots to save on campground fees. Apparently, he thought that was a recognized custom here in the United States.

I never told him I was armed. I wonder what he would have thought of that American custom.

Too weird.

“The Prius is as frumpy as any car I’ve seen, like an over-full colostomy bag.” -- New York Times automotive writer Lawrence Ulrich
Friz Freleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #32
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friz Freleng View Post
As it turned out, the guy was--you'll love this--an architect who was heading to Los Angeles for a job interview. In Europe, campers will sometimes share spots to save on campground fees. Apparently, he thought that was a recognized custom here in the United States.

I never told him I was armed. I wonder what he would have thought of that American custom.

Too weird.

Not weird at all. You've never encountered a pleasant and friendly person while traveling? I've also shared campsites and coffee with other travelers.

Good grief.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #33
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
I've never had anything particularly creepy happen. I even live across the street from a cemetery in a 213-year-old house and have never had any unexplainable incidents.

But it is a weird feeling to wake up in the middle of the night and realize something is in your campsite. This happened to me in Labrador -- we were camped about halfway between Labrador City and Churchill Falls when I awoke to the sound of movement outside my tent (and not something small). I listened for a moment, then spoke: "Anyone else hear that?" My friend Jason had set up his tent next to mine; he immediately replied, "Yeah, what was that?" Our friend Roman said he'd heard it too, and after a pause, he unzipped his tent and stepped outside. Whatever it was, it was gone by this point.

Next day we saw wolves further down the road, so I expect it was a wolf checking out our campsite.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #34
Friz Freleng
Zorgon of Mars

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post

Not weird at all. You've never encountered a pleasant and friendly person while traveling? I've also shared campsites and coffee with other travelers.

Good grief.

Jamie
Oh, I forgot to add one other fact to my Death Valley experience: In the campsite on the other side of the one occupied by the architect there was a hospitality columnist for Southern Living magazine "who often shared his campsites and coffee with other travelers." I didn't mention this because it…wasn't…relevant…to…my…story…whatsoever.

“The Prius is as frumpy as any car I’ve seen, like an over-full colostomy bag.” -- New York Times automotive writer Lawrence Ulrich
Friz Freleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #35
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooter View Post
i still have my 77 SS2 (scout)..they are fun toys...prolly a female bigfoot you ran into..she was just trying to make you her boyfriend..women are like that..mine baited me as well with hot food and certain god given features....god speed
Funniest post I've read in a while...

Was walking across a pitch black hayfield to my deerstand at 5am when a coyote near the base of my stand started growling at me. It wasn't retreating (weird) and I'd left my gun on the stand the night before. Picked up a fist sized rock from the two track and zinged it the direction of the growling, it finally took off.

My buddy was driving home during a snow storm one dark night (rural area) and came upon a large group of deer standing next to the road. He stopped and angled his lights at them. He was enjoying the tranquil scene when BOOM something hit his drivers door.. After he restarted his heart he saw a deer staggering away.

DYNOBOB screwed with this post 12-14-2013 at 02:54 PM
DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #36
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,522
creepy tale from Mexico

OK here is this one. It happened to JC, one of our group of 4 riders.

We went for a ride to Chiapas Mex this past October 2013.
On our way back, we stop at Palenque, a city with beautiful archeological site.
The day we arrived to the pyramids, the site was closed for the day, so we opted to book in a Little hotel, or better say a huge old hacienda house converted to hotel, it was near the entrance to the ruins of Palenque, (there are several Antique haciendas-hotel to stay).
We got dinner and we were the only guests in the restaurant, and I think in the hotel, since we did not see anybody else around but the waitress and the owner.

After dinner, we got permit to go to the already closed pool, and we had some beers, and BS, bla,bla. Everyone of the hotel staff was gone except for the guard.
Once we got done relaxing on the pool, we went to crash. The bikes were parked into the dinning area, this dinning area is an open place with palm leafs roof (palapa). So we only took our essentials stuff for a shower and went to get a good sleeping time.

JC was the last one to get to the room, when he got into the room he told us: Hey guys, I was cleaning my right pannier since a bottle of oil spilled inside and made a mess, and then I see that my t-shirt for tomorrow is very dirty, so I’m looking around for the guard to ask for some soap to wash it, then when I turn to other side of the restaurant trying to spot the guard, there is a lady she is standing in the other side of my bike and I ask her is she knows where I can get soap for laundry. Then she says she can wash it for me. So I tell her OK, and ask her how much and at what time I can get it back.
She said, there is no cost, and as soon as she finish she will leave it on one of the chairs next to my Vstrom.

So after JC finished telling us that, very proud that his T-shirt would be clean and ours not, then I remember that I told him:
you’re screwed man, I don’t think she comes back with your t-shirt. And everyone laughed.
Next morning the t-shirt is there, very clean. So JC talks to the owner who just arrived, and asks for the lady that washed it last night, so he can tip her.

The owner looks at the guard, who is besides, and looking at him, she says, we do not have no one during the night, only Ramon, the guard.
Owner: Did somebody came inside Ramon?
Guard: No mam, I locked the entrance and did not see no one else but the four of them, and actually I was at the pool pump house when this gentleman was picking his stuff from his bike and I saw him holding up this t-shirt and look at it, then he walked to his room but no one was around, I swear it.
Owner: how she did look like”
JC: She was wearing some regional Maya clothing (as most of the rural women), same face as most of local typical women.
The owner glances at the guard and says nothing more about it and quickly changes the subject.

JC still gets the shivers when we remembers.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013

Arte screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 02:02 PM
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #37
AdakTriumph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TufelHunden View Post
That is a classic mountain lion attack. They like to sit up high and ambush critters walking by. They can leap 40 feet or more. Your friend is lucky you were so close by.

I figured as such, but the ranger didn't have an answer for the "lion" to be in the tree.
AdakTriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #38
AdakTriumph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
OK here is this one. It happened to JC, one of our group of 4 riders.

We went for a ride to Chiapas Mex this past October 2013.
On our way back, we stop at Palenque, a city with beautiful archeological site.
The day we arrived to the pyramids, the site was closed for the day, so we opted to book in a Little hotel, or better say a huge old hacienda house converted to hotel, it was near the entrance to the ruins of Palenque, (there are several Antique haciendas-hotel to stay).
We got dinner and we were the only guests in the restaurant, and I think in the hotel, since we did not see anybody else around but the waitress and the owner.

After dinner, we got permit to go to the already closed pool, and we had some beers, and BS, bla,bla. Everyone of the hotel staff was gone except for the guard.
Once we got done relaxing on the pool, we went to crash. The bikes were parked into the dinning area, this dinning area is an open place with palm leafs roof (palapa). So we only took our essentials stuff for a shower and went to get a good sleeping time.

JC was the last one to get to the room, when he got into the room he told us: Hey guys, I was cleaning my right pannier since a bottle of oil spilled inside and made a mess, and then I see that my t-shirt for tomorrow is very dirty, so I’m looking around for the guard to ask for some soap to wash it, then when I turn to other side of the restaurant trying to spot the guard, there is a lady she is standing in the other side of my bike and I ask her is she knows where I can get soap for laundry. Then she says she can wash it for me. So I tell her OK, and ask her how much and at what time I can get it back.
She said, there is no cost, and as soon as she finish she will leave it on one of the chairs next to my Vstrom.

So after JC finished telling us that, very proud that his T-shirt would be clean and ours not, then I remember that I told him:
you’re screwed man, I don’t think she comes back with your t-shirt. And everyone laughed.
Next morning the t-shirt is there, very clean. So JC talks to the owner who just arrived, and asks for the lady that washed it last night, so he can tip her.

The owner looks at the guard, who is besides, and looking at him, she says, we do not have no one during the night, only Ramon, the guard.
Owner: Did somebody came inside Ramon?
Guard: No mam, I locked the entrance and did not see no one else but the four of them, and actually I was at the pool pump house when this gentleman was picking his stuff from his bike and I saw him holding up this t-shirt and look at it, then he walked to his room but no one was around, I swear it.
Owner: how she did look like”
JC: She was wearing some regional Maya clothing (as most of the rural women), same face as most of local typical women.
The owner glances at the guard and says nothing more about it and quickly changes the subject.

JC still gets the shivers when we remembers.
Got the shivers reading that. I'm probably never going to Mexico. Drug cartels and ghost women aren't my thing
AdakTriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #39
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 162
creepy

I was camping with my friend as one of two occupied sites in the only open campground in Acadia Park in Maine It was April. I had home made saddle bags I carried over the gas tank., they had Velcro strips around the top to close them. During the middle of the night Linda and I were scared awake by LOUD high pitched screaming right out side the tent. I shone my light out the screen and saw A puffed out raccoon yelling at another out of sight.The next morning I found muddy foot prints on the seat and tank our butter was gone out of the bag. I had two inch Velcro around the top it was a stiff pull to open them not too hard for the Raccoon. While there we found a big steamer kettle outside the outhouse we rode around to one of the fishing towns got four lobsters some sea scallops.went back to camp and made dinner. We already had the Remy.For after dinner coffee and cognac A dinner that couldn't be beat!
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #40
TufelHunden
Recovering A-hole

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdakTriumph View Post
Got the shivers reading that. I'm probably never going to Mexico. Drug cartels and ghost women aren't my thing
Heck Ill take a laundry cleaning ghost anytime over some of the other crazy stories on here.
TufelHunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #41
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
I will say, I have had one bad experience that spooked me good. I was camping at Brown Mtn in North Carolina. There are camp sites on the mountain road leading up to the riding area. Had my dirt bike on the back of my Grand Cherokee. There was no one else on the mountain except me. And its miles away from any houses. All the camp sites were empty (weekday) I was definitely all alone. I did think about that when I was near the campfire as it was probably a 10 mile radius of me and the mountain. Went to bed and I was startled awake by something in woods. straining to hear and using elimination, not a bear, not deer, racoons, etc. I fell back asleep and then was awakend again, one of those where you know something woke you but you cant tell what. I could barely hear it. It was very stealthy and was circling the camp with a wide berth. It was clearly cautious as to where it was placing its feet and took its time -the only thing I can figure it was a mountain lion which got me concerned. Looking out through the tent window, I couldnt see a thing, but damn if I didnt see the Brown mountain lights!! Starry night no clouds but flashes of light, no thunder, nothing. Like a a camera flash but lit up the woods, like right above the trees but not way up in the sky if that makes any sense. No noise and the light was on the white side as I remember. I figured those stories were crap and admit that was so bizarre its the first time I decided to finish the night off in the Jeep. Actually havent been camping alone since then.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #42
Trigxrr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
This just happened to me a few months ago in the Arizona desert just south of the Hualapai Indian reservation , I was heading home in the 4wheeler after a day of exploring , It was around dusk on a very rough untraveled road , There are no houses within miles of were I was , The road would drop 3-4' into a wash then rise back up out of it and did this for several miles , It was really getting dark now and as I was coming up a wash rise I could see just to my left a woman , At first Im thinking " What is she doing out here in the dark in the middle of nowhere " and as I pass Im looking at her face to see if I can tell if she is lost scared or troubled in anyway but nothing struck me so I continued on but only got maybe a quarter mile and stopped , I m going over it in my mind ,, did I just see that it was like a dream and then I realized I didnt recall seeing any lower part of her body just from the hip up white ruffle top black hair in a bun ...
Kind of like this

I turned around and went back looking and even stopped and called out ,, nothing ... Tripped me out
Trigxrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #43
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
unreal

I was throwing down in the Humbolt one night after moonlit dash toward Yosemite. Totally exhausted from running 80mph through a rabbit gauntlet, hitting only 3 and quit counting at 110 rabbits on the shoulder or the road, I figured it time to rest and turned off the highway up a spur to a deserted campground. Feeling a bit vulnerable I wheeled the bike out between the cedars. I was in an awkward tangle pulling off my gear when the spidey sense went full alert. I spun around as an ancient woman in a pink pants suit walked out of the trees and commenced to cursing and berating me as a worthless motorcycle bum tearing up the countryside and she was calling the cops. In the absolute fucking middle of 1AM nowhere. In a few heartbeats I cycled from exhausted, to terrified, to bewildered then resigned. She was for real but the whole scene was entirely surreal. I meekly told her I was alone and meant no harm, that she had me confused with someone else, suited up and rode away.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #44
tallpaul63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Adrenaline response

I was camping at the trailhead parking lot for Mt Whitney, planning to get an early pre-dawn start on the trail. Camping meant throwing my thermarest in the open bed of my pickup, slipping in the sleeping bag and getting a few hours of sleep.

There wasn't a breath of wind that night, and the sky was clear as could be. I woke up to the feeling that my truck was shaking a bit, which made no sense. I opened my eyes to look upward at the stars, and a section of the sky turned dark...and I heard breathing. It was a brown bear, paws on the bed rail of the truck, looking down upon me, all of two feet from my face. Jeezus that was scary, but he meant no harm, just looking for some leftovers to eat. He walked away as bears do, and I slept poorly the rest of the night. Got a very early start on the trail!
tallpaul63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #45
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
I only have one incident to post that was creepy at all. I'm a pretty intrepid explorer, and I ride a lot of long distance rides alone through some very harsh and unforgiving back country. Camping alone is not an issue, and I've been in the woods alone since as long as I can remember. My father was a hunter and I spent my youth traipsing through the woods either by motorcycle or walking as I stalked my hunting prey.

Having said all of that, I also like my solitude in the woods. I rarely camp near others, I try to find spots that are away from others and remote. I love my tent being pitched in spots that I've cross countried into that are a bit away from main roads or even trails. If no one else is anywhere near me, I'm comfortable; usually even more so if I have the coyotes howling near by. That's just my way of enjoying the woods and nature. Well this incident changed all that for one night.

I was riding through the Cascades to visit my son in Portland. I had mapped a route of forest service roads from my home to his apartment on the north eastern side of Portland. I, as I usually do, had tried to select as much dirt or gravel as possible and placed my route to run due north for almost 400 miles from my house to his apartment. I had planned for one overnight stay in the mountains and I figured I'd be somewhere near Odell lake which is south and west of Bend, Oregon for the night.

Having left a copy of my route with my wife in case I didn't turn up in Portland, I started day one of my trip. I had ridden around and past Crater lake, and I was headed into the woods north of Crater lake and south of the Sisters. I'm approaching Odell lake from the south when I end up on a jeep trail along the south side of Diamond Peak.

It is early summer, and I'm right at the snow line and I've just encountered a bunch of snowmelt and running water on this road when I come to a steep downhill. It is just at twilight and I'm looking for a spot to pitch my tent for the night. My headlamp is on and starting to really illuminate the roadway as the last rays of the sun are sinking below the horizon rather quickly. I see a sign that tells me I'm about to descend on the "Lost Wagon Train Road." The sign details the plight of some early wagon train settlers who almost replayed the Donner Party's winter survival story right at this very spot in the 1800's. I read the sign and then drop off the steep jeep trail. I want to camp in the timber for a little wind protection and I'd like it to be a little drier where I pitch the tent.

At the bottom of this hill, I come to a small lake that has swelled with the snow melt runoff and is now covering the jeep trail ("Lost Wagon Train Road"). I take a quick look at my options and not wanting to fight the bike back up to the top of the steep descent, I look for a route around the water logged roadway. On the north side of the lake, I see where the roadway seems to enter the water and after about forty yards of water the roadway re-emerges on a hill thus bypassing most of the submerged areas. This portion of submerged roadway passes right beside a large rock bluff, so I think it will be solid enough to chance riding through.

I ease the KTM 525 into the water and find that it is 1-2 feet deep, and I am able to keep motoring along nice and slowly trying not to drown the engine. I keep the bike close to the rock bluff hoping it will be a solid bottom and not muddy. As I pass the rock bluff itself, I catch a slight glimpse of movement out of the corner of my eye, and something right at my head level lets out an enormous growl. It felt like whatever had growled had put its head inside my helmet to let that growl loose. I think my heart rate probably topped 200 BPM at that moment. I intstantly goosed the throtle and probably looked like I was on a jet ski crossing the next few yards to dry ground.

Once I hit the dry ground, I spun the bike around and aimed the headlamp back towards the bluff looking to see what had just growled in my helmet. nothing was there. I have a .45 in my tank bag most of the time when I'm riding, and I looked to try and see what could have taken my head off if it was so inclined; all the while, I was making sure I had the .45 available to engage it if necesary. I never saw a thing.

I've run into so many mountain lions and bears in the woods that I'm completely used to seeing them. Whatever I startled on that rock bluff that night might have been a bear, it sounded more like a bear than a cat to me, that's all I can say for sure. Well, I didn't camp alone that night.

After this, I rode in the dark for at least another forty minutes untill I found a campsite along one of the rivers in this area. The campsite was lightly populated by different groups of people, and I camped right beside a family with about four small children. I figured the children were better bait than I was and willingly put up with their noise as I drifted peacefully off to sleep that night. That's my "Creeepiest" moment on a bike ever.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote