Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #46
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Shame on you Brian!! Using small children as BAIT!!
Regards....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #47
marcoma
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Eat your heart out Chuck Norris

Camping with the family in Big Basin CA. 3 or 4 am and I'm stirred (but not woken) by something sniffing around outside the tent. I'm sleeping with my face smushed up against the side of the tent when something pushes up against my face thru the canvas (nylon?) In my semi conscious state, I lash out at it, hitting whatever it was that was pushing against the side of the tent. It ran off promptly and I drifted back into undisturbed slumber. Was I dreaming? Whatever....sleeeeeeeeeeep......

I'm making breakfast the following morning when the ranger stops by to warn people about the bears that have been spotted in the area. Holy crap! I remembered the disturbance in my sleep that night. Did I punch a bear? I think I may have punched a bear.... F@*k yeah! You're move Chuck Norris!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #48
Darklord99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
20+ years ago I was riding my TT 250 through the back trails of The Warrumbungles near Siding Springs Observatory & the town of Coonabarabran NW NSW when I came across a river flat which was well maintained (almost like lawn) and about 300mts along there were 6 shacks (3 either side of the flat), there place was completely silent.
The shacks were pretty run down, so I assumed they were abandoned, so I hopped off to have a look around & when I looked into a window there was a man staring back at me, I literally filled my pants , ran for my bike & got the hell out of there .
I went through Coonabarabran on the way home & stopped for the night in the Pub and after dinner I was at the bar talking to the locals & mentioned what happened.
They all went quiet & said I was very lucky as they were a family group & they suggested that they were all inbred & had attacked other people who had found them, they seemed quite concerned that the track was clear as they said that a decision had been made to block the track that led to the village by felling trees & thought that they must have cleared the track & when I went to bed, they we planning a visit to block the track again.
I mentioned this years later to a cousin that lived 160kms away from Coonabarabran in Dubbo & he said he knew of the place & that the place had been burnt out some years ago & the people had moved even further into The Warrumbungles.
There was nothing overtly threatening about the place, but even now thinking about it, I get shivers up my spine, it just felt wrong.
Darklord99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #49
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 609
death valley, 1968

This is so creepy that I have hesitated to even post it til now... Not really sure I had a "close encounter", but it raised the hair on the back of my neck then as it does now!

When I was a teen living in So. Cal., I was into off-road riding, MX, trails, and esp. riding in the desert. My parents were amazingly supportive, I suppose believing (correctly) that my riding was better than doing drugs! In 1968, when I was 13, they drove me out to Death Valley for a weekend of riding, dropped me off (alone! what were we thinking?), and checked into some local cheap motel. Off I rode into the desert... several hours later, in "the middle of nowhere", encountering a motley group of "hippies", apparently "picnicking" near a van. They initially looked harmless enough so I stopped. We began chatting, and though they seemed "high", they were friendly. They asked me where I was from, what I was doing out there, if I were alone, etc. I was innocent enough to give honest answers, but my "Sixth Sense" strongly told me to get the hell out of there. I quickly bid them farewell and off I rode, as fast as I could off-trail, back to the motel and my parents! I was unable to get this encounter out of my mind, and years later, as the story of the "Manson Family" unfolded, I had to wonder if it was they whom I had met. The encounter scared the crap out of me then and thinking about having possibly come that close to evil scares me much more now!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #50
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,695
Fall of 2010 I was camping with my 22 year old daughter at Alabama Hills near Mt. Whitney in California. On a cool, clear day around noon we rode our dual sport bikes up the long steep Horseshoe Meadows Rd to the camping areas at the end, about 10,000' elevation. We chose a big log near a trail head to sit down and have a snack. It was the end of the camping season and there were only a couple cars parked off in the distance. About 50' away there was a guy dressed in a heavy plaid jacket laying face up on a bolder with his arms hanging down to his sides. He appeared to be asleep, probably after a long hike, but it looked like a pretty uncomfortable place to take a nap. I also noticed a rifle or shot gun laying on the ground a few feet from him and wondered why he would lay it on the ground rather than prop it up against a tree.

After finishing our Cliff Bars we got on our bikes and started heading down the hill toward camp but as I looked at the sleeping guy in my mirror I saw what looked like blood covering the rock below his head. I circled back and sure enough the rock was soaked with blood and I knew it was a suicide by shotgun in the mouth.

I caught up with my daughter and we stopped several places on the way down to try calling 911 but even though my phone showed 3 bars I couldn't call out. Finally at the bottom of the hill, almost back to camp, I called 911 and told the dispatcher about the apparently dead guy.

The local deputy sheriff called me back and made arrangements for me to meet him and ride up with him in the patrol car. After surveying the scene the deputy taped off the area with that yellow crime scene tape and radioed for the detectives and coroner. They arrived about 45 minutes later, took my statement, poked around the scene and determined it was a suicide. The dead guy's car was located near by and he was identified. It was interesting to see first hand how the police work was done.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #51
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoma View Post
Camping with the family in Big Basin CA. 3 or 4 am and I'm stirred (but not woken) by something sniffing around outside the tent. I'm sleeping with my face smushed up against the side of the tent when something pushes up against my face thru the canvas (nylon?) In my semi conscious state, I lash out at it, hitting whatever it was that was pushing against the side of the tent. It ran off promptly and I drifted back into undisturbed slumber. Was I dreaming? Whatever....sleeeeeeeeeeep......

I'm making breakfast the following morning when the ranger stops by to warn people about the bears that have been spotted in the area. Holy crap! I remembered the disturbance in my sleep that night. Did I punch a bear? I think I may have punched a bear.... F@*k yeah! You're move Chuck Norris!
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #52
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Similar to Flei's account, this incident occurred when I was 11 or 12.

My mom would often drop my brothers and I off in the tree farms (Boise-Cascade) outside of a small Oregon town on a Friday afternoon and pick us up on Sunday afternoon. We had our pellet rifles, camping gear and sometimes an old Honda SL100.

We had set up camp along a small creek and were ready to hit the sack when we heard loud motorcycles and even louder partiers. We could see the bonfire and hear a large group of people about 1/4 mile away.

After 2-3 hours (midnight or so), the bikes started up and everyone rode away. We walked over to see what was going on and found that they'd left firewood, beer and other stuff. Score! We decided to move our camp to this site...and we did so right away.

We threw a bunch of wood on the fire, put our sleeping bags down and hit the sack.

You guessed it: less than an hour later, they all returned. It was a motorcycle gang and were they surprised to see three young boys in their party area...burning up their firewood.

After quizzing us about where our folks were --and offering us weed and booze--they asked us to get out of their area. Which we promptly did. The story scared my mom but became a story to tell at family gatherings.

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #53
SnoWing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigxrr View Post
This just happened to me a few months ago in the Arizona desert just south of the Hualapai Indian reservation , I was heading home in the 4wheeler after a day of exploring , It was around dusk on a very rough untraveled road , There are no houses within miles of were I was , The road would drop 3-4' into a wash then rise back up out of it and did this for several miles , It was really getting dark now and as I was coming up a wash rise I could see just to my left a woman , At first Im thinking " What is she doing out here in the dark in the middle of nowhere " and as I pass Im looking at her face to see if I can tell if she is lost scared or troubled in anyway but nothing struck me so I continued on but only got maybe a quarter mile and stopped , I m going over it in my mind ,, did I just see that it was like a dream and then I realized I didnt recall seeing any lower part of her body just from the hip up white ruffle top black hair in a bun ...
Kind of like this

I turned around and went back looking and even stopped and called out ,, nothing ... Tripped me out
I want some of the sh** you're having
SnoWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #54
TheKnob
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Bunnies and coyotes

Spent a night on an what turned out to be a large anthill somewhere in California, that wasn't a hill, just a nice flat soft spot to camp, it was dark so I didnt know at the time. It was pitch black inside my tent after killing a hundred ants that had gotten on my gear before tossing it in the tent. That wasnt scary, but then I started hearing sounds in the woods, close. I think it was coyotes and then the killing began, kept hearing what sounded like babies getting killed, guess they were bunnies, but being from Alaska I wasnt used to the sound of coyotes or bunnies getting eaten. I spent the night with a knife in one hand and flashlight in the other. Not my scariest night but definately unsettling. it was a beautiful sunset at least. Glad they filled their bellies with bunnies not me.
TheKnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #55
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
These are all great story's guys. Keep them coming.
About 10 years ago three of us hauled trail bikes out to Colorado and packed our camping kit on with us and hit the trails for three days and nights.
We came up on an old mining area way out in the mountains so we stopped and walked around exploring .
There was several old cabins in the area and one friend went in one, [ My son and I was about a 100 feet away ] When he jumped back out and said there was a body in there lying in piles of beer cans.
We went running up to the cabin when this guy came out in a boxing stance coming at us blabbing obscenity's [He wasn’t all together there] We kept backing up and I yelled “Let's get out of here”
We ran to the bikes and split as fast as we could

Thirty three years ago my wife and I were touring in Colorado and found a very remote place to camp along a nice small stream. Our tent was about 5 feet from the stream. At about midnight we were awaken by gun shots not far away.
Then a person was running in the stream and ran right past our tent. There wasn’t anyone around there for miles when we camped. We got up and wadded up the tent and gear and rode out until we came to a town and got a motel.
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #56
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Wingnut - I dont know where in Michigan you had this happen, but just west of Higgins Lake Michigan there is an area with various oil field pumps which are powered by massive engines we used to call "hit and miss" engines. They sound a lot like what you described. Something about how their sound carried, or didnt carry made it inconsistent with when you could, or could not hear them. Not to dismiss your creepiest experience story or anything.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
Okay, I've got a repeat offender. We call it the phantom single. We and I say that because two friends have heard it as well. When camping on multiple occasions in many locations in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan we have heard this noise. It sounds like a single cylinder engine trying to start then run poorly for a few seconds and then dies. ................

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #57
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Years ago my wife and I were backpacking in Glacier National Park. As we went into the backcountry, we went past a ranger station, and saw notices of recent grizzly activity in the area and chatted with the ranger. Regs were you could only set up camp in designated areas even in the wilderness areas, so our day stop points were pretty well defined. On our second or third day in, we came across a mother grizzly and 2 cubs. That got our heart rates up - but they eventually scampered off head up this steep climb up a pass , at the top of which was where our camp was to be for the night.

The ranger had asked us to be sure to report any grizzly sightings, so we back tracked about 7 miles to where we had camped the night before. Our planned on 9 mile day of packing had now turned into 14 miles. The weather deteriorated, temps dropped and rain started. We encountered another couple heading down a lake towards the ranger stations, told them to report and set up camp. Next morning, we packed up and headed back up to that pass, and eventually the ranger (a rather nice looking gal, about 5'2", with a BIG pistol on her hip, carrying a small day pack, along with a big moose of a guy carrying a big heavy pack. We hike up to where we saw the grizzly's give her our report (and unfortunately DETAILED description of the bears - we got a REAL good look at!). She thanks us, tells us - that one is harmless - go ahead up the pass, and set up camp.

So we head up the pass - the rain turns to snow, winds pick up - we are miserable, and now very tired from all the extra mileage. We set up camp - I wander off to use the pit toilet (yes - they have pit toilets in the backcountry). I see on the sides of it, caught on the exposed bent over nails what is clearly grizzly fur. We are now not feeling so happy.

After a very rough, cold, wet night, I suddenly wake up - its just barely breaking dawn. I hear something moving around outside the tent - then suddenly I see what is clearly a nose pressed up against the side of the tent - sniffing around. I can smell stinky critter. I wake my wife up - point it out - my mind is reeling - all I have is a small hunting knife. Advice we had read is when a griz in in camp, they view you as a food source - you need to instead come out aggressive - scare them away - as they are not thinking of you as a threat. So - I get my wife to the center of the tent - knife in hand...quickly zip the tent open - jump out screaming knife in front of me.....to see a VERY scared, mule deer scamper away - then stop and stare back at me.

Breakfast was very quiet that morning. The rest of the trip went MUCH better.

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #58
Anciano
Bushpilot

Oddometer: 239
I rode the Continental Divide in August of 2009. I camped close to the Colorado border in northern New Mexico. After I went to bed I started hearing very weird sounds. It didn't sound like any animal I had ever heard. It didn't sound human. It eventually stopped and I went to sleep.

The next morning while I was making coffee, a man and dog came into my camp. It turned out to be a Basque sheep herder. The sound I heard was the Basque calling instructions to his dog in the Basque language. His calls bouncing around in the canyons and trees were eerie. Oh, and he smelled baaaad.

Wayne
Anciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:19 PM   #59
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,490
This happened years ago, probably the very early 80's. I was about 10, living in Indonesia. Anyway, my parents, some of their friends, and myself had gone camping. We were travelling along the coast and we'd set up camp maybe 30 yards from the road and about the same distance from the beach. Tents were set up about 20 feet apart from each other, in a rough circle. I have no idea what time it was, but I woke up in the middle of the night, must have heard something. I looked out and saw someone moving around outside one of the other tents. I didn't think anything of it, I figured it was one of our friends who had to pee. I laid down and went back to sleep.

We woke up the next morning to find that we'd been robbed. All three cars had been broken in to- windows broken, the locks on the trunks had been popped and cameras, a boom box and a few other things were missing. The most disturbing part was that one of the wives had her purse in her tent, right next to her head. One of the thieves had cut though the nylon and managed to steal it without her waking up.

As soon as we could pack up, we went to the nearest village and reported it to the cops. (I'm not making this up!) We were told that thieves in the area often used 'black magic' so people wouldn't wake up during a robbery. They told us something about a 'medicine man' who would cast spells and that we might have been 'afflicted' by whatever magic was used. I don't think any of us put much stock in that, but if you saw the damage done to the cars (broken glass, locks), it's hard to imagine they could do all that and NOT wake someone up.

Needless to say, future vacations in that area involved hotels.

G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
gweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #60
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 672
Backpacking alone in Colorado. Out for a post-dinner evening walk as the light fades. No wind, very quiet. Then a SWOOSH by my right ear made me duck reflexively.An owl in flight possibly looking for any rodents I might have stirred up.

30 years ago on a solo motorcycle trip. Late April. Camped at a public campground with very few other campers. Few trees - just a grassy meadow on a slope. I camped several sites away from a site occupied by only a small motorboat on a trailer. Woke up about 2 AM to very loud swearing and shots being fired. Someone had stolen the boat and the owner had just returned and was upset about it. I laid flat hoping to not get hit.
All was intact with me and my stuff in the morning.
Gripsteruser is online now   Reply With Quote