Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 04:19 AM   #61
Herkjerk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
His name was Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by flei View Post
This is so creepy that I have hesitated to even post it til now... Not really sure I had a "close encounter", but it raised the hair on the back of my neck then as it does now!

When I was a teen living in So. Cal., I was into off-road riding, MX, trails, and esp. riding in the desert. My parents were amazingly supportive, I suppose believing (correctly) that my riding was better than doing drugs! In 1968, when I was 13, they drove me out to Death Valley for a weekend of riding, dropped me off (alone! what were we thinking?), and checked into some local cheap motel. Off I rode into the desert... several hours later, in "the middle of nowhere", encountering a motley group of "hippies", apparently "picnicking" near a van. They initially looked harmless enough so I stopped. We began chatting, and though they seemed "high", they were friendly. They asked me where I was from, what I was doing out there, if I were alone, etc. I was innocent enough to give honest answers, but my "Sixth Sense" strongly told me to get the hell out of there. I quickly bid them farewell and off I rode, as fast as I could off-trail, back to the motel and my parents! I was unable to get this encounter out of my mind, and years later, as the story of the "Manson Family" unfolded, I had to wonder if it was they whom I had met. The encounter scared the crap out of me then and thinking about having possibly come that close to evil scares me much more now!
I know this isn't a camping story but when you mentioned coming close to evil I wanted to put my story out there.

So a few years ago maybe '09(you can google his name to find the actual date) we lived 15 minutes out of the town of Ava Missouri. We lived in a small valley(holler). Our closest neighbors at the time lived maybe half a mile down the road, our properties separated by a pretty good size bluff. These neighbors Chris and Johanna were your pretty standard rural citizens, had some land maybe 10 acres with 20% of it wooded or so, a couple dogs and some chickens. We had eaten dinner over at their house once or twice he even let me ride his yamaha banshee! Well sometime that fall a female bartender doesn't show up for her shift Monday night. The last time somebody saw her was Friday when she was closing down the eagles lodge where she worked. Some time later southern Missouri had a rash of tornados blow through. Chris worked as an emt in the next county over and was trying to get home from an all nighter and some trees had been up rooted on the road to his house(and ours) so my dad, brother, mom, and myself grab the chainsaws, tractor, and the farm truck to head down the road to help Chris clear the trees so he can get home. While we were working he kept striking up conversation with my mother, no big deal right? My mother was a blonde , more attractive woman for her age. Well a few weeks later my mom and sister are driving home and meet Chris on his way into town. He then pulls his truck ACROSS The road to block the entire street gets out of his truck walks to my moms car to talk. The have an awkward conversation and then head their separate ways. My mom felt super creeped out by this entire encounter and later told my dad and I about it. So a few nights later the Sheriff comes knocking on our door asking if the could run k9's on our property looking for a body. So we let them look and of course they don't find anything. Not a week later we hear that Chris was arrested and charged with the murder of the eagles lodge bar tender! That evening chris hangs himself in the county jail with his underwear waste band! Upon further investigation it turns out that dna of the woman's body were found in a shallow grave on his property, in his freezer(from which I had eaten food), and in his truck! Her full remains have yet to be found. What's even scarier is that chris was connected to three other murders in two other states. All of which were blonde women in their 40s. So it turns out that I have spent time in the company of evil and that my mother could have been his next victim.

His name was Chris Revak

Look him up
Herkjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #62
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 412
I grew up in the Ozark Mountains, in Stone County near the Arkansas border. Pretty rugged country, even now. Back when I was about 13 my best friend and I decided to go camping as we often did. We packed our gear and backpacked to the back 40 of my uncles farm (about 4 or 5 miles) to our favorite camping spot. Trees scattered around and a stream. We set up camp but when we decided to turn in that night we decided to sleep under the stars instead of in our tents. We looked at the stars and talked until we both dozed off. The next morning I was awakened by something soft and wet on my forehead. I opened my eyes and just above my face, about 5 or 6 inches away were two eyes. Big brown eyes. Bear! I almost tore my sleeping bag up getting away from that. Turned out it was a cow that was investigating what I was. Scared the cow pretty bad too, a 13 year old boy screaming and thrashing around. This event was told at family gatherings for years for entertainment.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #63
Gundecker
aka fng

Oddometer: 127
I was trail riding in Florida one summer day. Hot, palmettos, sandy trail and vast quantities of scrub pines. I took an offshoot trail and it started to get narrow and close into a clump of palmetto bushes. I could see daylight on the other side of what looked like a clearing so I blasted in. There was no opening in this clearing and what I thought was daylight turned out to be a HUGE nest of banana spiders! These evil looking things have a black and yellow body with huge spiny legs. They can get to be pretty big in size. I don't like spiders to begin with and now I'm in a huge nest of them! They are crawling up my arms and legs and all over my face shield. Web material is everywhere! the bike stalled and I'm freaking out. I got it started and blasted a whole through the palmetto wall. I couldn't get off the bike quick enough! Tore off my helmet and jacket in a panic. Gawd I hate those spiders.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #64
KGBz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdakTriumph View Post
The creepiest thing that I have ever had happen was in January of 2007. I was only 16 at the time and my friend who I was riding with was 19. We raced together all the time, but today we were just hanging out riding up and down the mountains in Mammoth, CA.

I was following him down the mountain and out through a flat area with a river. At this time he was about 60 feet in front of me as he started to round a large rock formation. As I come around the rocks and saw the scene, I freaked out. His bike was up against a tree and he was laying flat on his back. As I stop he gets up and yells " WTF was that man, wtf man. Let's go!". I had no idea what he was talking about. I laid my bike up against the tree his bike was on while he was trying to pick his up and leave. I said "just to hold on a second, what's going on?"

It's at this time as I am watching him pick up his bike I see his back. There were claw marks that went completely through his jacket and cut his skin. The claw marks were about an inch apart and only 2 of the 4 reached his skin. I start to lose my mind and I tell him to chill out and listen. We don't hear or see anything and we can see for about a mile or two. I asked what happened? He said "something hit me off my bike and I'm about to freak out, you didn't see nothing?" "no man, I just saw you laying there." I told him lets just check it out since whatever it was is now gone, but keep your head up and shut the fuck up.

As I investigate where this thing came from I was surprised not to find any tracks in the area. It hasn't snowed since last night and its about 3 PM. Surely there should be some prints in the snow right? No, not until I investigated further. At the top of the rock formation was the tracks from where this thing launched itself, but no tracks leading to it. It must of been sitting here for hours I thought. This is where shit gets real. It landed about 25-30 paces away form where it jumped and about 30 paces after that the tracks disappeared at the base of a tree. Needless to say we immediately left and we told a ranger about what happend 2 days later. He said that he didn't have an answer.

Sup with that?
Chupacabra

-KGBz
KGBz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #65
CB350ER
Pavement Pounder

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Hi imgoin!

What is the story behind this pic if you don't mind sharing? Looks like the Cougar wants his lunch. Obviously it was dark and the cougar showed up in the flash. Do you know any more details?
Regards....just jeff

No story. It's a fake. The tom was photoshopped in the pic.

Here's the real pic of the tom captured by a trail cam:
CB350ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #66
Zojirushi
Surly Sailor

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB350ER View Post
No story. It's a fake. The tom was photoshopped in the pic.

Here's the real pic of the tom captured by a trail cam:
Damnit, let down by the internet again.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #67
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Damn!! I shoulda' known better!
jj
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #68
Maggot12
Banned

Oddometer: 3,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkjerk View Post
I know this isn't a camping story but when you mentioned coming close to evil I wanted to put my story out there.

So a few years ago maybe '09(you can google his name to find the actual date) we lived 15 minutes out of the town of Ava Missouri. We lived in a small valley(holler). Our closest neighbors at the time lived maybe half a mile down the road, our properties separated by a pretty good size bluff. These neighbors Chris and Johanna were your pretty standard rural citizens, had some land maybe 10 acres with 20% of it wooded or so, a couple dogs and some chickens. We had eaten dinner over at their house once or twice he even let me ride his yamaha banshee! Well sometime that fall a female bartender doesn't show up for her shift Monday night. The last time somebody saw her was Friday when she was closing down the eagles lodge where she worked. Some time later southern Missouri had a rash of tornados blow through. Chris worked as an emt in the next county over and was trying to get home from an all nighter and some trees had been up rooted on the road to his house(and ours) so my dad, brother, mom, and myself grab the chainsaws, tractor, and the farm truck to head down the road to help Chris clear the trees so he can get home. While we were working he kept striking up conversation with my mother, no big deal right? My mother was a blonde , more attractive woman for her age. Well a few weeks later my mom and sister are driving home and meet Chris on his way into town. He then pulls his truck ACROSS The road to block the entire street gets out of his truck walks to my moms car to talk. The have an awkward conversation and then head their separate ways. My mom felt super creeped out by this entire encounter and later told my dad and I about it. So a few nights later the Sheriff comes knocking on our door asking if the could run k9's on our property looking for a body. So we let them look and of course they don't find anything. Not a week later we hear that Chris was arrested and charged with the murder of the eagles lodge bar tender! That evening chris hangs himself in the county jail with his underwear waste band! Upon further investigation it turns out that dna of the woman's body were found in a shallow grave on his property, in his freezer(from which I had eaten food), and in his truck! Her full remains have yet to be found. What's even scarier is that chris was connected to three other murders in two other states. All of which were blonde women in their 40s. So it turns out that I have spent time in the company of evil and that my mother could have been his next victim.

His name was Chris Revak

Look him up
Faack...
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #69
cyclebabble
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul63 View Post
I was camping at the trailhead parking lot for Mt Whitney, planning to get an early pre-dawn start on the trail. Camping meant throwing my thermarest in the open bed of my pickup, slipping in the sleeping bag and getting a few hours of sleep.

There wasn't a breath of wind that night, and the sky was clear as could be. I woke up to the feeling that my truck was shaking a bit, which made no sense. I opened my eyes to look upward at the stars, and a section of the sky turned dark...and I heard breathing. It was a brown bear, paws on the bed rail of the truck, looking down upon me, all of two feet from my face. Jeezus that was scary, but he meant no harm, just looking for some leftovers to eat. He walked away as bears do, and I slept poorly the rest of the night. Got a very early start on the trail!
Would have needed a new sleeping bag after that, and underwear too.

Great topic, keep the stories coming!
cyclebabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #70
dstriffler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
When we were kids we would ride in the woods a few miles from my house. We would always find these small packages wrapped up in what looked like a white diaper on the sides of the trail. A few times we poked them with sticks and sometimes they were filled with feces, other times, mashed potatoes. Wasn't sure what any of this was till one evening just as it was getting dark. A fat, bald, weird looking guy came wandering out of the middle of the woods. As soon as he saw us he started shrieking and throwing his hands up in the air. And he just went walking off into the woods like that. We could hear his shrieks for at least a half hour after he disappeared. Sometimes we'd be riding a trail and he would just appear out of nowhere occasionally holding one of the white packages. Really creepy. But every time he saw us he would start with his shrieking again. Found out that a mental hospital backs up to the woods, and this is where he was coming from. I remember one time there was a few of us kids and we tried to follow him but he kept going deeper and deeper into the woods. We chickened out when he turned around shrieking and gave us this really bizarre look. A few days later we were in the same area and found a type of lean-to shelter made in the area he was when we followed him. He might have been trying to lure us to it or something, I'm not sure.

Last year when I moved back to NY I went hiking in the woods to see how my old riding place had changed. And on the side of the trail? A small white diaper.
dstriffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #71
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
Okay, I've got a repeat offender. We call it the phantom single. We and I say that because two friends have heard it as well. When camping on multiple occasions in many locations in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan we have heard this noise. It sounds like a single cylinder engine trying to start then run poorly for a few seconds and then dies. Then a few minutes later you will hear this sequence again. Sometimes two or three times in succession then it stops for a bit. But sure enough a little bit later we will hear it again. One of the strange things is none of us have ever heard it camping by ourselves, only when at least two of the three of us are present. This has been happening to us for at least the last 5 years in locations many hundreds of miles apart. We have thrown around all kinds of ideas about what it might really be, but no firm conclusions other than we all agree what it sounds like.
That's Gearwhore snoring.

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #72
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
We were single tracking in South East Ohio with about 5 other riders. Though I didn't know it at the time, this is Sasquatch country: dozens of sightings have been reported in that exact area.

We had stopped to trek back to an abandoned home. Many years ago it had been a beautiful place, VERY secluded and inaccessible by any means but by foot. I was fascinated by the overgrown ruins, though the others quickly moved on. I stayed back to examine the place more thoroughly. The other group was perhaps a half mile back the trail. It was dead quiet.

All of a sudden I was overcome by a FREEZING feeling. Never felt anything like that in my previous 55 years (including combat). Absolutely chilling and I had no idea why. Then it came as a shock to me: I was being watched. Scared the living shit outta me. The feeling was SO powerful....

I must've broken Olympic records as I hauled-ass outta there. I never saw anything watching me, but the premonition was overwhelming. A year later I read about the high number of Sasquatch sightings (which, btw, I thought was total BS). Now..... I dunno........
Outwardbound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:19 AM   #73
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikehead View Post
That's Gearwhore snoring.
That's why I don't show up to many local events. Eventually I'd make enough friends that I'd get sucked into going to some rally that at night sounds like a lumber mill. Then of course I wouldn't get any sleep and then I'd crash the next day due to being sleepy. The whole lot of you will be the end of me!!!!

On a serious note. After doing some audio research and blind testing my buddies and I are reasonably convinced it's the sound of ruffled grouse as posted by someone else earlier in the thread. We have been around mechanical stuff all our lives and just the way it sounds is so machine like that it had not even crossed our minds that it would be a damn bird.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #74
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #75
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,244
Was camping down the hilll from South Lake in the eastern Sierra, meeting up people the next day for a backpack over Bishop's Pass.
I was sleeping in the back of my truck, under a camper shell with the flip up open. Sometime late that night I heard some rustling around the bumper. I had one of those small ice chests with the lid that rotates over and locks and for some dumb reason had left it under the back of the truck. Still half asleep I lunged towards the open camper door and started banging on the wheel well thinking it was a raccoon or some other critter. All of a sudden these big round ears rise up, silhouetted against the sky, then a big head. We stared at each other for a second from a distance of about 3 feet then he turned and lumbered off across the road. The next morning I checked out the ice chest and there was a set of claw marks on the lid.

Met up with friends the next day and hiked over the pass. We set up camp and I crashed at the tent - I was coming down with the intestinal yuck. I was sharing a tent, fell asleep and was woken up by a snuffling sound at the side of the tent, about 2 feet up. Not again! I had a brand new, expensive backpack and for some reason I was more worried about it getting ripped up (even though there was nothing that would attract a bear) than getting a face full of bear. I flew out of the tent, yelling. Didn't see anything. Apparently, that was the last straw and I started throwing up outside the tent, then laid on a rock for a bit. After about 5 minutes I felt sprinkles - bear, barf and now I was getting rained on! Geesh. The next day my friend and I told everybody what happened and they said "marmots". Yeah, right. Apparently marmots are several feet tall over Bishop's Pass......

Not so much creepy, but a little adrenaline going. Probably the creepiest was when a banana slug made its way onto my face in the middle of the night on a backpack in Big Sur....

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote