User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 03:59 AM   #16
jbc1200
Busy Living

Oddometer: 135
For all my riding right now I'm wearing the following:

Tourmaster Transition 3 Jacket. It has really good armor and is comfortable from about 80F down to well under 32F with the liner in. It blocks wind wonderfully and has really good armor.

Tourmaster Overpants. These zip all the way up the side so they go right over work clothes. They're also waterproof and have CE kneepads and some basic hip padding. They're great for non-summer weather but I'll have to find another option when it gets warm again.

jbc1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #17
SacredWarrior
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I Second the Tourmaster Overpants. I bought mine back in September an I am very happy with them. They go on easily over my work pants khakis or jeans. I have had them on when its 80, a little warm. And they were sufficiently warm when it was 32 the other morning.
SacredWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #18
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Glad you're OK and doing better while you're making the best of your down time.

Like you--and others--I took a very similar spill. Was wearing good gear.

Now is the time to look at upgrading some gear--what worked and what didn't. Sounds like all of your gear functioned as it was supposed to so maybe buying the same gear would be a good idea.

The Aerostich gear is a good idea but only if you plan to wear it. Not everyone can wear a onesie (RoadCrafter) all the time.

Let us know what you end up replacing the gear with--especially the helmet.

Here's to a quick recovery.

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #19
V.rider OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
Glad you're OK and doing better while you're making the best of your down time.

Like you--and others--I took a very similar spill. Was wearing good gear.

Now is the time to look at upgrading some gear--what worked and what didn't. Sounds like all of your gear functioned as it was supposed to so maybe buying the same gear would be a good idea.

The Aerostich gear is a good idea but only if you plan to wear it. Not everyone can wear a onesie (RoadCrafter) all the time.

Let us know what you end up replacing the gear with--especially the helmet.

Here's to a quick recovery.
The gear I had on absolutely did its job. I think helmet wise I'm going to go with Shoei GT-Air. I would get another HJC RPHA 10 but I want the internal sun visor.

I know that I wouldn't wear a one piece all the time. Still shopping around for jacket and pants, leaning towards the Rev'it brand but need to check out some of your guys other recommendations. The jacket I was wearing was textile but didn't have any armor in it.

Thanks again for all your kind words and suggestions. Will keep everyone updated as I go along.
V.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
jbc1200
Busy Living

On thing too - go ahead and have two setups, one for cold weather and one for hot. I tried to play with the whole transitioning 4 season stuff and it kind of sucks for everything. A dedicated winter kit and summer kit seems the better route, even if slightly more expensive. At least you can buy them several months apart the first time.

I'm already scoping out a new warm weather kit, looking very hard at the Joe Rocket mesh lineup. My wife got a new Joe Rocket jacket for winter this year and I'm very impressed with the fit and finish for the cost. Probably better than my Tourmaster stuff that cost more.

Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 Mesh Jacket (comes in like 10+ colors)

Phoenix 3.0 Mesh pants

Old 11-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #21
playsintraffic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Glad to hear you fared pretty well, hope you heal fast. A riding jacket, gloves, boots, and helmet are a must for me. I wear riding pants in cooler weather, just jeans when its too hot. I also wear a 3/4 helmet. Your story has really got me thinking.
playsintraffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #22
jbc1200
Busy Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by playsintraffic View Post
Glad to hear you fared pretty well, hope you heal fast. A riding jacket, gloves, boots, and helmet are a must for me. I wear riding pants in cooler weather, just jeans when its too hot. I also wear a 3/4 helmet. Your story has really got me thinking.
Google photos of motorcycle crashes where the rider had no chin-bar protection on the helmet. It's pretty gruesome, and I think the stats say the VAST majority of initial impacts are on that area when crashes happen.

Can anyone comment on whether jeans with strap-on kneepads, or mesh armored pants are cooler in the summer?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #23
V.rider OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by playsintraffic View Post

Found this graphic that shows where impacts occur. That should be pretty startling to anyone who doesn't wear a full face helmet. Without one my story would have been much, much worse.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:01 AM   #24
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.rider View Post

Found this graphic that shows where impacts occur. That should be pretty startling to anyone who doesn't wear a full face helmet. Without one my story would have been much, much worse.
Statistic we spit out at the MSF class: " If your'e head was to impact the ground, over 60% of the impact would happen at the jaw/mouth." Then we add that as humans you want to look where you're going, so if heading toward the ground, you begin to look and hence the amount of damage to that part of the face.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #25
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 843
Glad you are mostly ok and lived to tell the tale. Riding is serious business and should be approached with serious gear. Check out Olympia. They make excellent motorcyle clothing, and use genuine DuPont Cordura fabric at a reasonable price. They have a bunch of options to choose from. I went down at 35mph on gravel and dirt, and despite a broken collar bone (and a few ribs) had not one mark of road rash on me, my Olympia gear saved my skin. You only have to get that shit scrubbed out once to convince you that you never, ever want it again. DAMHIK. Stay away from Joe Rocket, anything I've ever owned from them has falled apart in a few thousand miles.
Riding pants are hugely important and often ignored - if you were wearing a pair with adequate knee protection, you may have walked away without a scratch.
Also - the fact that you went down in a curve, on some gravel may indicate that you were riding too fast. Remember to always be able to stop the bike in a distance you can clearly see.
Best of luck to you bro. Heal up and get back on.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #26
V.rider OP
n00b

I'm definitely using this as a learning experience. Gear wise I know my mistake. As far as riding too fast I'm not too sure. I was under the speed limit and had good sight lines on most of the road and was looking through the turns. It was my second pass through that area and I never saw any of the gravel or sand. As far as the accident occurring I never even realized I was in trouble it happened so fast. I was riding along and next thing I know I'm waking up on the ground dazed. Now obviously if I had just been creeping through the corner without much lean angle I probably wouldn't have gone down but not sure how I could've avoided it under normal riding conditions.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #27
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Thanks for sharing your story and hope you heal quickly!

I had a similar fall in the early 90s: all good gear except for my jeans.

Guess what, road rash on the bum and hip, but luckily I wound up sliding around on my back and shoulder and the jacket took the brunt of the slide. It was an easy lesson at that point.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #28
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 505
This story reinforces my decision to pick up a full Motoport outfit... Marathon Air Mesh jacket and Ultra II over pants, with liners and the quad armor option, plus gloves... when I was in San Diego a month ago.

I was wearing a Joe Rider Ballistic 2.0 jacket and over pants. I think I would have been protected from road rash, but not so much from impact resistance. The difference in the armor between the Joe Rocket gear and the Motoport gear is night and day... much more armor in the Motoport gear.

I hope I never have to recoup my investment. Good luck, and heal quickly.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #29
bjorn240
Good with a map!

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.rider View Post

I went ass over teakettle on my mountain bike the other day, at about 5mph. Face first into a rock. Ouch. Full face helmets, they're smarterer.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #30
V.rider OP
n00b

Took a trip out to the accident site yesterday and then went to the dealer and finally got to take a look at the bike.

I still have no recollection of the wreck but other than that no other side effects from the concussion. I'm off the crutches but still can't bend my left leg much, just waiting for the wound on my knee to heal up to get some mobility back.

From the looks of it I either just had slightly too much speed going into the corner or took a poor line through the turn. The turn is longer than it appears going into it and there is almost a reverse camber to the outside of the road that I've never noticed before. There is a lot of debris near the edge of the road and I think I got too close or actually went off almost to the end of the turn and it just washed my front tire out.

Luckily both the bike and I quickly made it into the grass. Bike slid about 70 feet on the left side and then went tires first into a small ditch. Not sure how far I ended up sliding but I stopped short of the ditch. I'm extremely lucky that I only had a few feet of asphalt to deal with or my injuries probably would have been much worse.

Damage to the Versys really wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The fairing and some of the plastics on the left side will need to be replaced. Left foot peg and shifter were knocked off. The left mirror was off. Minor scrapes to left handlebar end but clutch lever was untouched. No noticeable damage to engine and it starts and runs with no problems although it is stuck in gear for the time being. Swingarm spool took all the damage on the rear end and frame is in good shape.

All in all I think I am extremely lucky on all fronts. Definitely have a lot to think about but going to treat this as a learning experience.