Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #3031
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrider View Post
Not like Stoner or Marquez do. Who said anything about Austin?
Who said anything about Stoner?

They all have to adapt if they want to go faster. Marquez is adapting fastest. Riding the curb, steering with the back wheel in the air, swapping bikes in Q, learning new tracks quicker ...

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #3032
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank View Post
I think it would be bad. MotoGP needs to be the top, like F1. Mfgs need to develop technology. Like the TZ 750. I don't like the idea of a spec series deciding world champion.
F1 is very close to a spec series. Le Mans is the only real 4-wheel prototype series left.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #3033
yety61
Global Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Barcelona, Spain, Dec 1, 2029

MARQUEZ ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

20-time World Champion and Dorna owner Marc Marquez announced today that he will be retiring from professional roadracing, effective immediately.

"I mean. what's the point?", said the still boyish Marquez, "I haven't lost a race in 15 years and its getting kind of old, really".

Other Dorna officials refused to comment on the record, muttering something about needing to send out resumes.

Now that's funny.
yety61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #3034
Chromer
Not going gentle

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
F1 is very close to a spec series. Le Mans is the only real 4-wheel prototype series left.
Even Le Mans has some very restrictive technical regs.

For GP bikes, there is still a huge underexplored world in funny front ends. As a design, forks suck, but they're a very well-known quantity. Everyone is afraid to be the first to try something else though.

You want innovation and cutting edge, start following the electric world. The fastest electric car was just two seconds behind the overall winner at Pike's Peak this year (and 40 seconds faster than last year's top electric time). Overall winner next year? The FIM e-bike series seems to have fizzled out for now, but it'll be back...
Old 07-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #3035
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank View Post
I think it would be bad. MotoGP needs to be the top, like F1. Mfgs need to develop technology. Like the TZ 750. I don't like the idea of a spec series deciding world champion.
The TZ750 made the F1, and preceeding F750, motorcycle classes a default spec series. So, not sure how that plays with your preceeding sentance about developing technology.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #3036
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Crash, on why Lorenzo wants a short contract.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #3037
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by stk0308 View Post
The TZ750 made the F1, and preceeding F750, motorcycle classes a default spec series. So, not sure how that plays with your preceeding sentance about developing technology.
I know my post didn't make much sense. Must have been in a fog. No, not pui.

I'd like to see innovation and different bikes. I'd say MotoGP does that now with the factory bikes. Love to see Suzuki and Kawa get involved.

I thought the TZ750 was a successful gamble for Yamaha.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #3038
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
You may hav been thinking of the TZ500 and RGB500. Not to mention the YZR500 and Honda's various, and variously successful, attempts to compete with them.

The interesting thing there was the period of radical engine innovation with no change to the relevant rules. We haven't seen much of that for a while.

But it's probably because the traditional engine problem - making enough power reliably - is essentially solved. What innovation remains is much less visible. Pneumatic valve springs, for example.

It would be good if someone could make a non-telescopic front end work. Bit I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: of course restricting the entries to four-stroke engines has meant no-one has done any work on big direct-injection two-strokes. That might have been interesting.

Moronic screwed with this post 07-10-2014 at 08:57 AM
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #3039
Osmin C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
With Pedrosa even with Rossi on points, it seems a stretch to say one has "adapted to the tires" more than the other.
This is valid but doesnt take into account the difference in bikes. Rossi is arguably on the lesser machine, as suggested by most. Closing the gap on the top three suggests that he is doing something better than the others ('cept Marc). Acclimating to the tires might just be it.
Osmin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #3040
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
The interesting thing there was the period of radical engine innovation with no change to the relevant rules. We haven't seen much of that for a while.

But it's probably because the traditional engine problem - making enough power reliably - is essentially solved. What innovation remains is much less visible. Pneumatic valve springs, for example.

It would be good if someone could make a non-telescopic front end work. Bit I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: of course restricting the entries to four-stroke engines has meant no-one has done any work on big direct-injection two-strokes. That might have been interesting.
Chicken or egg? There have been various attempts at unconventional engine and front end configurations that have inevitably led us to where we are. If any manufacturer had seen real commercial possibilities in a two stroke future, I am sure they would have pushed for rules in that favor. Let's remember there has been, and no doubt continues to be, much experimentation in the labs of the big manufacturers on fuel type, aspiration, transmission and chassis development. Honda in particular doesn't seem to have any problem throwing a million bucks at any idea that might lead in a new direction.

I think its reasonable to assume that as the current designs on the grid converge, you are approaching the most efficient way to scoot around a race track. Ask Ducati, BMW.

Are there any restrictions on chassis design other than the ban on active suspension?

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #3041
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,028
*cough* Erik Buell *cough*
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #3042
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
Exactly.
One reason there are only tele-forks is that is what data exists for suspension tuning. As an example of how all this works is those brakes of Buell's. Got Brembo or Nissan brakes and you got lots of options for rotors, calipers, master cylinders and pads.
Erik's not so much. You get what he's got. And you're creating your own data on the fly. Tends to swill cubic money, while viewing the pointy end of the event as it comes blowing past.
A very good way to make a small fortune out of a large one as the saying goes.
Two engine configuration options, narrow V-4 or Inline-4. The Wider V-4 seems to have wandered off the plot a good bit.
MotoCzysz, tired the steepest curve approach, different everything. Basically a blackhole of development as far as the appetite for cubic money is concerned. Now it is electric with conventional sliding fork and rear shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
*cough* Erik Buell *cough*
Old 07-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #3043
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Basically a blackhole of development ...
But a gushing fountain of self-promotion.
Mike Yanagita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #3044
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Exactly.
One reason there are only tele-forks is that is what data exists for suspension tuning. As an example of how all this works is those brakes of Buell's. Got Brembo or Nissan brakes and you got lots of options for rotors, calipers, master cylinders and pads.
Erik's not so much. You get what he's got. And you're creating your own data on the fly. Tends to swill cubic money, while viewing the pointy end of the event as it comes blowing past.
A very good way to make a small fortune out of a large one as the saying goes.
Two engine configuration options, narrow V-4 or Inline-4. The Wider V-4 seems to have wandered off the plot a good bit.
MotoCzysz, tired the steepest curve approach, different everything. Basically a blackhole of development as far as the appetite for cubic money is concerned. Now it is electric with conventional sliding fork and rear shock.
Quote:
I watched the special on his bikes. I thought the engine design was genius, and was going to be a real game changer. But I guess when you blow through millions only making two prototypes and no real spares to speak of, even the greatest of ideas will go no where.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #3045
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
Quote:
Err, not always.

Buell... I'd have bought one in the past, but now? Not a chance. Proving your approach is unbelievably crap doesn't sell bikes.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote