User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 630
Going out with Sue, and Katy, and...

Today was my first chance to take Sue off the pavement. The first time I took it out I hit some twisties since I wanted to see how it compared to my recently gone v-strom.

Took a gravel road that quickly became dirt :s_smile

Soon the trail was all covered by leaves

And it kept going

Coming downhill it looked like an ATV highway

Took a left going uphill on what seemed like a wall to me. No pics though it did happen. The short hill brought me to a higher elevation:

The view was worth the effort

My exploring came to a halt though

Turned around and headed to the Horse Pasture Rd. Here's one of many pics of Sue at a overlook

Interesting tree

Jocassee Gorges

Pedestrian bridge

Better cross the small creek

Went up to Jumping Off Rock

Saw an interesting trail but after negotiating a set of deep ruts it just ended abruptly as it was an access route to a transmission tower

Saw a hunting camp on my way out. Nice guys and well set up.

The flags and my accent are a story for another time

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Jocassee
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 328
I guess that is the bad creek trail? I have been all around it, never on it.

If you need a riding buddy, let me know...I am in GV

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886775
Old 11-11-2013, 05:02 AM   #3
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post

If you need a riding buddy, let me know...I am in GV

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886775
Sure, let me know. We've been posting riding plans here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904939

Old 11-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Honkylicious
Not really gay

Oddometer: 837
Nice to see that you are doing rides like that on your own. For me, once I got comfortable on gravel, I had the confidence to use those skills dirt.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

Well, doing gravel and dirt in the v-strom was barely bearable given my skills. A better rider would make it look like a KTM I'm sure but that rider isn't me. The DR is a lot more forgiving and makes the process a lot more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkylicious View Post
Nice to see that you are doing rides like that on your own. For me, once I got comfortable on gravel, I had the confidence to use those skills dirt.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Nice bike!

Can't wait to hear the hunting camp story.

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

Quote:
Originally Posted by advtenn View Post
Nice bike!

Can't wait to hear the hunting camp story.
You will. Maybe we can set up camp and swap some lies.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

Went for a ride today with my friend Mark on his twin 650GS. The idea was to enter through Bad Creek in SC and come out on the NC Gorges side. Well, the monsoon didn't cooperate with us so we ended up riding some gravel and pavement with one short but fun leaf-covered trail.

Just a couple of pics today. Everything was wet!!

Here's Mark

Short lived fun

Old 11-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
scbob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Bad Creek

We were there on Saturday. went in through the Duke Power gate on 281 then pavement down to visitor center / parking. Gate to the right there was open, for hunters apparently (we hunt good roads so guess we were OK).
Started on a nice gravel road, that deteriorated, or maybe improved into a jeep trail. Just a great ride with my son (35xj) and his buddy on big KTM's.
We rode in for about an hour, past about 5 hunting camps, and then to a locked gate; turn round and blasted out. What a great ride !!
I didn't realize there's a through trail - maybe you could show us next weekend ?
Thanks Bob
scbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
Jocassee
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbob View Post
We were there on Saturday. went in through the Duke Power gate on 281 then pavement down to visitor center / parking. Gate to the right there was open, for hunters apparently (we hunt good roads so guess we were OK).
Started on a nice gravel road, that deteriorated, or maybe improved into a jeep trail. Just a great ride with my son (35xj) and his buddy on big KTM's.
We rode in for about an hour, past about 5 hunting camps, and then to a locked gate; turn round and blasted out. What a great ride !!
I didn't realize there's a through trail - maybe you could show us next weekend ?
Thanks Bob
I am far from expert but I don't believe there is a through trail. I'd be curious to know as well. If there is it may be closed for the winter. As far as I know the only way to get through is the Foothills Trail (walking).
Old 11-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

There is a through-way between Bad Creek and NC Gorges, the Gorges side being a bit more technical IMO but I did it a few times in my V-strom (though in all fairness not always with the same success).

If sunday's weather is a bit better we can plan a ride.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
scbob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Dual sport this weekend

Hi guys.
A couple of rides planned this weekend, if anybody interested.

Saturday - we have "permission" for a quick ride midday. Planning on leaving area of intersection hwy 11 & hwy 14 about noon. Heading up the Greenville watershed past Poinsett Bridge, then crossing hwy 25 at Tuxedo and on to Green River road. Then turning right by the church and up to Pinnacle Mountain on fire / logging roads, then back home mid to late afternoon. Right now I'm on my Husky TE610 with my buddy on his DR400. If anybody would like to join us that would be great - meet somewhere on hwy 11.

Sunday - my son and I will leave same area of hwy 11 & 14 and head north. Him on his KTM 990 & me on the Husky. He's riding home to Asheville on as many dirt roads as he can find, and I'll be doing a loop back to my place. Probably leave about 10:00 and close to a full day of riding.. We are open to route suggestions, but really want dualsport type of ride. If anybody wants to joins us, please let us know where you'd like to meet.

Thanks and have a great weekend .
Bob
scbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

Last Sunday I met with Adam, a fellow inmate, for a Bad Creek/ NC Gorges ride. The near freezing temperatures made me miss my old v-strom while on highway 11. Adam was having issues on his own, or as he put it, his KLX-300 doesn't like cold starts.

Here's Adam:

As we entered the Bad Creek area I deflated my tires a few PSI and went on. After couple miles I felt that my rear wheel was all over the place. The tire was completely flat. I tried pumping it to no avail. Adam said he thought the stem valve had come off the tub. A few days before the ride I had gotten a heavy duty 21" spare tube so we put that one on.

After fixing the tire I tried to keep up with Adam but it was a bit sketchy on the muddy sections. We took a little break at the end of Bad Creek.

On our way back we took the trail to the NC Gorges. That area seems to me a lot more fun though pretty soon my feet started to get cold with the splashing of the mild water crossings and the puddles. At some point going downhill the road was blocked by some branches. I was barely able to get my phone (no easy task with winter gloves) and take a couple blurry pics of Adam moving those branches out of the way:

When we got to the Horse Pasture River Adam was slowly negotiating his way onto the steel bridge dabbing his feet on the rocks. I though I saw a somewhat clear line and went for it with some momentum. The rock under my front tire slid out and I had a high side. It happened very fast but as I saw the possibility of going to the creek I refused to let go off the handlebars and ended up hanging from them and dragging the bike with me almost off the bridge

Scary moment for sure. I went into the creek to make sure the bike wasn't going to fall as the front tire was off the bridge and I didn't have a good grip standing on the rocks where I was. Adam said one moment he saw me making my way into the bridge and when he crossed and turned his head back I was standing up in the creek. He helped me pull the bike back and stopped there for a moment to work out the rush. Here's the pic with Sue back on terra firma:

No damage to the bike and no injuries to the rider. I still can't quite work out the mechanics of the incident but I'm glad it turned out OK. I'll run with that.

After getting my feet inside the creek and the adrenaline wearing off, the rest of the way up to pavement was uneventful, except for the growing pain in my feet. We stopped at the gas station on 64 and 281. I wrung my wool socks but my Joe Rocket Big Bang boots were just soaking wet. With the evening as cold as it was, the ride home was a character building adventure.

I did make one stop as I was starting to descend into SC down 178 to take a soul-lifting picture, the kind that tells you all will be well. It was a good riding day and I was grateful that Sue and I were in riding condition.

Here's the pic:

As I got home my lovely wife took care of my cold feet. Next day I got a half-off deal on a pair of waterproof Gaerne G-Midland boots

trespalacios screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 01:00 PM
Old 11-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

Hey Bob,

Not sure about my riding schedule this week but I might end up meeting you guys. Thanks for the invite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbob View Post
Hi guys.
A couple of rides planned this weekend, if anybody interested.

Saturday - we have "permission" for a quick ride midday. Planning on leaving area of intersection hwy 11 & hwy 14 about noon. Heading up the Greenville watershed past Poinsett Bridge, then crossing hwy 25 at Tuxedo and on to Green River road. Then turning right by the church and up to Pinnacle Mountain on fire / logging roads, then back home mid to late afternoon. Right now I'm on my Husky TE610 with my buddy on his DR400. If anybody would like to join us that would be great - meet somewhere on hwy 11.

Sunday - my son and I will leave same area of hwy 11 & 14 and head north. Him on his KTM 990 & me on the Husky. He's riding home to Asheville on as many dirt roads as he can find, and I'll be doing a loop back to my place. Probably leave about 10:00 and close to a full day of riding.. We are open to route suggestions, but really want dualsport type of ride. If anybody wants to joins us, please let us know where you'd like to meet.

Thanks and have a great weekend .
Bob

Old 12-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #15
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

I went riding yesterday with SCBob and Bob. SCBob sold his DRZ400 to his friend and neighbor Bob and he picked up a nice Husqvarna 610. That Terra is a sweet looking bike and the DRZ was incredibly clean.

We went on a short ride around the watershed and took a couple dirt roads around Tuxedo, NC. There was some snow on the side of the road but the Bobs wanted to ride so I only took these two pics on a little break at the top of Pinnacle Mountain Rd.

We went climbing the hill where all the trees had been cut down. It was harder than I initially thought but still a lot of fun. It's hard to overcome so many logs and stubs when you can't even see them.

We had a good ride and were able to manage a little road-side repair. We went back to SCBob's place and his son 35xj was there on his 990 Adv waiting for him.

SCBob has pretty much secured a anytime-is-good-riding-time status so they were having a party to which he graciously invited me to attend with my family. While I couldn't make it, it was greatly appreciated.

Till the next ride