Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 07:03 AM   #61
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
damnit! I need to pay better attention to this thread. looks like that would have been fun!
I did tell your dad about it and talked about it here

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #62
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
damnit! I need to pay better attention to this thread. looks like that would have been fun!
That's why some threads need to be put on email alert.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #63
kaosbandit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Great thread! Watching you guys ride, no wonder I only ever see you when we get to a rest stop :)
Old 02-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #64
JayWNC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Gorges

trespalacious:

I was spending a little time reading through stuff on this forum tonight, which I very rarely do, and saw your post about going out to gorges on sunday. I just realized that I saw you there. I was on a black DRZ and had a friend with me on a yellow DRZ. We passed you on our way in as you were changing your tire and stopped to talk for a minute, then met up with your group again at the bridge on our way back out.

So you're going to be at Hot Springs on the weekend of 3/21? Should be fun.

Jay
JayWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #65
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWNC View Post
trespalacious:

I was spending a little time reading through stuff on this forum tonight, which I very rarely do, and saw your post about going out to gorges on sunday. I just realized that I saw you there. I was on a black DRZ and had a friend with me on a yellow DRZ. We passed you on our way in as you were changing your tire and stopped to talk for a minute, then met up with your group again at the bridge on our way back out.

So you're going to be at Hot Springs on the weekend of 3/21? Should be fun.

Jay
Yes, that was us. I'm easy to spot: the guy with the southernmost accent in the group

Did you guys have a good time riding to the power lines with the other guys in the KTM450 and XR650R? (I forget their names).

Hot springs should be fun, not sure if I called dibs on time for one of the cabins but I can pitch a tent somewhere if needed. Maybe some of my riding friends will come along and we can get one more cabin.

Look forward to riding with you guys.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #66
JayWNC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Yeah, we had a good time riding down to the power lines and back up. We hadn't done that before. We had just met the other two guys on the KTM and the XR650 in the parking lot as we were starting out.

I think there may possibly be 1 spot left in the cabins at Hot Springs. I just replied to that thread a little while ago to confirm my spot and it looks like there are at least 5 spots confirmed so far.
JayWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #67
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

For a while I've wanted to go to the mountains of North Georgia. The gravel, dirt roads and trails in the Chattahoochee National Forest along with the twisty pavement makes for good dual sport riding. While looking for routes I came across a Facebook group where they had a planned group ride, about 50/50. Some of the pics were taking by the other riders

Here's the map of the route:

I left at 6 am and drove for 2.5 hours to Dahlonega. Parked my truck at the UNG's library, saddled up and waited at the rendezvous point.
First I met Sam on his KLR

A few minutes later a bunch of guys showed up. KTM950, DR650, DRZ400 and a bunch of BMW800GS

Another view of the line-up

Some guys, like Jonathan who came from Florida, were more set up for touring

Others were more geared towards dual sport

We took off on some pavement until we hit some fire roads

Waiting for the rest of the group to catch up... for once I wasn't the one holding the ride

There's something about a forest in the winter... you can see beyond

Deciding where to go...it didn't matter to me as I never knew where I really was

We went down a trail that turned interesting for the bigger bikes

Panniers tend to be caught on tight spaces but the Katoom is a big dirt bike

800GS

650GS Dakar

Long legs help a lot

We stopped here to regroup waiting on the last rider

Two guys went back to look for him and found him recovering from a crash. He was able to ride home by himself though he had some pain and some broken pieces

We stopped for lunch at Wolf Pen Gap Country Store

Interesting decoration

Times are hard

After lunch we took on an interesting trail

Waiting time is picture time

Alec decided to attack every mud spot he saw

Not really sure what happened here

We split after a while but I kept riding some more dirt roads with Chris and Brandon. Chris had to go play ultimate frisbee and Brandon took me to some trails in Amicalolah state park. Here's the only pic as I was chasing the big KTM

We stopped at the falls

Got to enjoy beautiful colors when I got back home

Old 03-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #68
Aonarch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Alec here on the Dakar!

Great write up!!!

Attacking the puddles was my downfall... by downfall I mean falling into a mud hole.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #69
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
Alec here on the Dakar!

Great write up!!!

Attacking the puddles was my downfall... by downfall I mean falling into a mud hole.
It was a fun day for sure. Nice riding with you guys

Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #70
mtbtweety
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Really enjoyed the day! The only reason you were chasing me on the KTM was because you didn't know where you were going. I'd been staring at your tail lights all day! Hope you get back out here some day. If not, we may have to visit!
mtbtweety is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #71
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbtweety View Post
Really enjoyed the day! The only reason you were chasing me on the KTM was because you didn't know where you were going. I'd been staring at your tail lights all day! Hope you get back out here some day. If not, we may have to visit!
I'd be happy to go back anytime, hopefully for tighter trails. Thanks for showing me around. Now I've got Georgia in my mind

Old 03-14-2014, 06:54 AM   #72
Honkylicious
sup?

Oddometer: 855
Looks like you are really enjoying that DR.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #73
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkylicious View Post
Looks like you are really enjoying that DR.
It's been a lot of fun. Let's get your KLR out and about

trespalacios screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 05:58 PM
Old 03-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #74
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

Well, I typed in a story full of memories and prose but when it was time to submit it it disappeared

So here it goes again, very much skimmed.

Tyler (TylerSC) is planning to do the TAT, so he put together a ride to meet with potential partners for his adventure. A few of us just saw the opportunity to ride in dual-sport paradise so we signed in.

I wanted to have the ability to take more pics on the fly so I tried this setup

but the camera failed without even being used so the Horus eye did most of the seeing this time

I met Tyler, Dave (35xj) and his dad Bob (SCBob) at the campground at noon on friday and we went for lunch. We saw a guy on a dual-sport loaded bike and we waved to him. It was Steve (hairball29) who rode all the way from Atlanta on a cold morning all loaded for camping.

Back at the campground we met Jay (JayWNC) and we got ready to ride. We went on twisty pavement, gravel and dirt until we got to Hurricane Creek Rd, which offered plenty of excitement

There were a couple unorthodox landings that the all-seeing-eye witnessed but they went undocumented and all was good.

My bike was cutting in and out and backfiring pretty bad until I realized it was the sidestand switch, which had immediate surgery. So there, that is my excuse for not flying through all the bumps and berms at Hurricane Creek.

We made it back to camp and met Gary (veesquared) who went there on his Dakar. The campground area is very nice and peaceful

The cabins even have carports and bike garages

We had a few microbrews by the caveman's tv as Gary said

And the heat of the cabins provided dry socks and boots next morning

Gary went home early on Saturday as he was pretty congested and his allergies kept him up at night. Pete (400psi) got there in the morning and shortly after an amazing breakfast, Dennis and Rick of the East Tennessee Adventure Riders showed up with Gary (common name that day) and led us on every kind of terrain

Here's Gary on his DR350

Tyler, who bought Kyle's DR350

Jay on his DRZ400

Pete, who looks like a pro enduro rider

Dave, who is so fast that I can't even fully catch him on a pic

Steve on the left, Dave in the middle and on the right Dennis, guide extraordinaire

Pete on the left, Bob on the right and in the middle Rick, the fast and furious rider

Enjoying the break

Getting ready to roll

There was some talk about going on a trail where we may have to pick up the bikes. Having the heaviest bike I naturally signed in. Pretty soon we were hard at work

The trail seemed to disappear at times

and it would pop back in

This trail offered plenty of obstacles. Like some partially downed trees that would rip a capable rider right off the bike

and fully downed trees that provided much material for adventure

We may have disturbed the trail a bit

My idea of fun

Steve had to peel off and head to Atlanta as he didn't want to ride next day cold and wet. We took a hundred turns on a maze of roads that had me so lost... but we ended up in a place where time seemed to have stopped. Gas and food with no prepay, credit or debit cards...payments under the honor system. I wish we had more of that.

Later we went to snowbird mountain. The road there was steep and full of thick gravel. Losing momentum on that road was not an option so I just decided to follow Dennis from then on.

Here's the tower I've seen on many reports

This pic doesn't do any justice to the amazing view

The rest of the afternoon was very exciting. I was trying to keep up with Dennis when Rick and Dave went past us on racing mode. A bit after that Dennis got a sneaky log send his rear tire in the air that sent them bouncing a couple times but amazingly he saved it. He called it luck but I'm sure that experience and skill were equally a factor.

At some point I went behind Dave and saw him bunny-hop his bike onto a nearly vertical wall, much like a trials rider would do and land beyond the mud hole that I, of course, went through. Rumor has it that in an act of extreme coolness somebody may have ridden cold for a while. He gets an A for valor and entertainment.

We went back to camp and hung out for a while

I want to say thanks to everyone, especially to the East Tennessee Adventure Riders. What a wonderful hosts you guys are. Can't wait to do it again. This may become Tyler's rally.

P.S. Here's a link to Dave's report

trespalacios screwed with this post 03-30-2014 at 06:31 AM
Old 03-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #75
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,004
Awesome!
Wish I could have made it.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is online now   Reply With Quote