Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 01:03 AM   #211
oldbutspry
Mr. Guns and Bikes!

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterpartsco View Post
Honda provides both parts fiches and service manuals for pretty much everything they make. If they designed and used the GY6, there would be both. And there aren't. There is no mention of the GY6 in any Honda documentation, as far as I know. And Honda doesn't hide the designations of their motors. There is the AF16, the AF35, the GET, etc. These are Honda designations, There are Honda service manuals and parts fiches for all these motors.
For someone to say that a horizontal air cooled engine is a clone of a vertical liquid cooled one is fairly dumb. They also repeat that the 50cc QMB139 engine is a clone of the honda elite 50 motor, which is not a horizontal 50cc four stroke, but a 2 stroke vertical motor (called the AF16-18) This guy read it on the internet, and wants to appear like he knows what he's talking about, so he repeats it.

When people first started importing the Chinese dreck, they told people that it was a Honda design, and that they could get parts for these scooters at any Honda dealership. The story sort of spread from there. As far as I have been able to discern, the GY6 first appeared as a 50cc engine in the Kymco Filly, which used the 669 belt and is pretty much the motor the Chinese have been copying.
The "Monkey 50-110," Helix 250, and SH150 Honda engines have all been copied by the Chinese, as well as the Yamaha Minarelli 2T and one of the Yamaha Horizontal 250-300cc engines, but the GY6 appears to be a Kymco invention.
My 2013 Honda Dio 125cc scooter has an engine code of 1P52QMI on the data plate. The engine looks the same as the "GY6 QMI/QMJ 152/157" listed on this page:

http://gekgo.com/scooter-engines.html

oldbutspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #212
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbutspry View Post
My 2013 Honda Dio 125cc scooter has an engine code of 1P52QMI on the data plate. The engine looks the same as the "GY6 QMI/QMJ 152/157" listed on this page:

http://gekgo.com/scooter-engines.html
That is interesting. When did Honda start making the Dio 125?
Old 01-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #213
oldbutspry
Mr. Guns and Bikes!

Quote:
That is interesting. When did Honda start making the Dio 125?
The Dio 125 was started in 2010. It's predecessor was the Honda SCR 125 which is almost identical except for a slightly redesigned headlight:

There's also a Honda Fuma 125 which is almost the same as the Dio. It has been made from 2007 to present:

oldbutspry screwed with this post 01-03-2014 at 07:07 PM
Old 01-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #214
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Wow. That looks a lot like a Kymco Vivio or Easy. Cool. I know Honda rebadged the ZX50 in Europe, and I wonder if that's what they are doing with this in Korea. Do you know where they are made? The engine designation leads me to think they are made in China.

Motovista screwed with this post 01-03-2014 at 07:11 PM
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #215
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Honda's original version of the "gy6" platform was never imported into the USA that I know of..it was in japan/asia models only from about 30years ago as far as I know, and back then I think the largest they went was under 100cc. Back then Honda and Taiwanese makers (kymco, sym, etc) were still in partnership with each other. I have no idea what the collaboration if any is there between Honda and these companies now.

Honda has two moto factories in China Wuyang and Sundiro and none in Taiwan or Korea. Here is a list of what is made were.

http://world.honda.com/group/manufac..._worldwide.pdf
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #216
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

by the way world.honda.com has tons of info buried there you just have to dig thru it
Old 01-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #217
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
The Dio 125 was started in 2010. It's predecessor was the Honda SCR 125 which is almost identical except for a slightly redesigned headlight:

There's also a Honda Fuma 125 which is almost the same as the Dio. It has been made from 2007 to present:

That first one looks a lot like the old elite after it lost it's boxy angleness and went curvy..from the late 80's
Old 01-04-2014, 12:27 AM   #218
oldbutspry
Mr. Guns and Bikes!

Quote:
Wow. That looks a lot like a Kymco Vivio or Easy. Cool. I know Honda rebadged the ZX50 in Europe, and I wonder if that's what they are doing with this in Korea. Do you know where they are made? The engine designation leads me to think they are made in China.
I'm guessing they are made in China but I don't know. I thought my manual was in Japanese but I asked my coworker (originally from Japan) to translate some of it and he said it was Chinese.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:44 AM   #219
oldbutspry
Mr. Guns and Bikes!

There is a huge variety of scooters here. I don't know what most of them are. For instance, here's a 2011 Honda that I think looks really nice (plus I like the storage bin up front):

http://info.bikemart.co.kr/trade/fre...ain&page_num=1

That link is basically the autotrader of Korean bikes. You can search for brands or brands with model ("Honda Dio") using the box with the blue surround. Be sure to scroll down for the photos.

ETA: Check out this Suzuki:

oldbutspry screwed with this post 01-04-2014 at 01:02 AM
Old 01-04-2014, 02:30 AM   #220
Dan V.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
The Suzuki Gemma. Sex on wheels. Why, oh why can't I get one here in the states?
Old 01-04-2014, 04:41 AM   #221
oldbutspry
Mr. Guns and Bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan V. View Post
The Suzuki Gemma. Sex on wheels. Why, oh why can't I get one here in the states?
Because the government makes it so expensive to get vehicles certified for the US market? Oh, and cause the Morphous didn't sell. To me, the Morphous looks better than the Gemma.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:19 AM   #222
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
Honda's original version of the "gy6" platform was never imported into the USA that I know of..it was in japan/asia models only from about 30years ago as far as I know, and back then I think the largest they went was under 100cc. Back then Honda and Taiwanese makers (kymco, sym, etc) were still in partnership with each other. I have no idea what the collaboration if any is there between Honda and these companies now.

Honda has two moto factories in China Wuyang and Sundiro and none in Taiwan or Korea. Here is a list of what is made were.

http://world.honda.com/group/manufac..._worldwide.pdf
I see the information, but I don't see any models from 30 years ago that had the GY6 engine in them. What models did? The closest I see is this Honda Dio 125 from Korea with an engine family designation that suggests it comes from China, but without a parts fiche or service manual, it's hard to tell if it is a GY6 or not.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #223
oldbutspry
Mr. Guns and Bikes!

Quote:
I see the information, but I don't see any models from 30 years ago that had the GY6 engine in them. What models did? The closest I see is this Honda Dio 125 from Korea with an engine family designation that suggests it comes from China, but without a parts fiche or service manual, it's hard to tell if it is a GY6 or not.
Doesn't really matter anyway. It's a great engine design. If China designed it and the Japanese then adopted it that makes it even more incredible.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #224
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Quote:
Doesn't really matter anyway. It's a great engine design. If China designed it and the Japanese then adopted it that makes it even more incredible.

That looks very much like a GY6. Is there a way to get photos from above and the other side? Do you know what size belt it takes?
Old 01-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #225
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Doesn't matter if it is or isn't gy6 because the reality of the matter is that there are only so many ways to configure it. Things are bound to look the same and once in a while some parts fit that wasn't intended.