Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #1
tlundberg OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Ride planning with BaseCamp and Montana

I'm trying to plan a ride for the weekend for the first time with BaseCamp and my Garmin Montana. The map is a routable topo map.

I will be riding both on roads that are visible on the map and tracks that are not on the map.

Should I use tracks or routes? Or a combination? Or something else entirely?

It seems BaseCamp got support for "mixed routes" (whatever that is) a few months ago (version 4.2.1). How does that affect me?

When I'm done with the planning in BaseCamp, what settings should I have on my Montana so it doesn't mess with my ride planning when I upload it from BaseCamp to my Montana?
tlundberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlundberg View Post
I'm trying to plan a ride for the weekend for the first time with BaseCamp and my Garmin Montana. The map is a routable topo map.

I will be riding both on roads that are visible on the map and tracks that are not on the map.

Should I use tracks or routes? Or a combination? Or something else entirely?

It seems BaseCamp got support for "mixed routes" (whatever that is) a few months ago (version 4.2.1). How does that affect me?

When I'm done with the planning in BaseCamp, what settings should I have on my Montana so it doesn't mess with my ride planning when I upload it from BaseCamp to my Montana?
tracks are always safe, they don't change during transfer....
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,304
My preference is to try to ensure that the mapsets and navigation prefs are identical between BaseCamp and the Montana. That helps to minimize route changes when the routes are transferred.

I also create a track from each route within BaseCamp. Both the route and track get transferred to the Montana, and I usually show them both on the screen. That way, I get the guided navigation that the route provides, but can see the track as well, and can easily distinguish when it deviates from the route.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
If you use tracks you won't have any problem. I always create routes first to take advantage of the autorouting in Basecamp or Mapsource and then convert the routes to tracks.

I switch between auto and direct routing modes by switching mapsets between City Navigator and old Topo 100k. I think you can also change it in Preferences.

There used to be a problem in Basecamp where once you had a mixed-mode route created and you made a change, the program would change the whole route to whatever mode you were in. Don't know if still works this way.

So I stopped using Basecamp for this and now do my route creation in Mapsource.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
tlundberg OP
Adventurer

I've been reading up on these "Mixed travel mode routes" that were added to BaseCamp back in July. I'll see if I can get them to work in BaseCamp first. Then I'll see what happens when I transfer it all to my Montana.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
I've been reading up on these "Mixed travel mode routes" that were added to BaseCamp back in July. I'll see if I can get them to work in BaseCamp first. Then I'll see what happens when I transfer it all to my Montana.
They work quite well in the Mac-BaseCamp version - I have a "sticky" there on how to create them but most anyone can figure it out.

The Win-BC version is not easy to use but seemed to work OK if you figured out how.

When you transfer your route to the Montana it will not be recalculated when you open it. But, don't allow it to be recalculated while you are navigating it or you will have to Stop Navigation and start over.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,337
I would also add that the more complex the primitive road network is the harder it is for auto-routing to find a good solution.

Seen some very wacky (virtually unusable) routing in a maze of Northwest (WA) logging roads. I don't consider this a unit issue or even a maps issue, just a very challenging routing problem for the hardware/software to solve.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
I would also add that the more complex the primitive road network is the harder it is for auto-routing to find a good solution.

Seen some very wacky (virtually unusable) routing in a maze of Northwest (WA) logging roads. I don't consider this a unit issue or even a maps issue, just a very challenging routing problem for the hardware/software to solve.

Bruce
The real issue for us here in the Northwest is how out of date the maps are with respect to private land and old logging roads vs. Forest Roads and the MVUM; which Washington State still has not produced - very much behind other states it would appear.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
tlundberg OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
They work quite well in the Mac-BaseCamp version - I have a "sticky" there on how to create them but most anyone can figure it out.
The only sticky topic I see related to routing is about routing in MapSource. Is that thread about BaseCamp as well? Or am I missing some other thread?
Old 11-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
The only sticky topic I see related to routing is about routing in MapSource. Is that thread about BaseCamp as well? Or am I missing some other thread?
Unfortunately, the "sticky" Title is a bit misleading - it wasn't my post to start with. Here is the link.

And remember, that link is in Mac-BaseCamp. Things work much different in Win-BaseCamp.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
tlundberg OP
Adventurer

Heh, that's the guide I used too :) I'm on Windows but still figured it out after a bit :)
Old 11-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Heh, that's the guide I used too :) I'm on Windows but still figured it out after a bit :)
I think the Win-BC Dev Team are still working on the workflow for this. I still find it very unintuitive and not something I want to use when I have to use Win-BC.

Dan
All Things GPS