Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
NCAA Basketball '13 & '14

Tip Off Marathon has some great match ups.

But this new rule that you can't put a hand on the guy with the ball is a bit extreme.

Watching the UVa v. VCU game now & the refs are blowing the whistle for a lot of really non calls. It's really slowing the game down.

Other games tonight are Michigan State v. Kentucky & Duke v. Kansas
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM

RhinoVonHawkrider screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 07:26 PM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,195
Who are the biggest stars and the teams to watch this season?

I understand that there are some young guys who are already making an impact. I virtually never watch college ball anymore. But I wouldn't mind seeing the prodigies, if there are any.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,856
Buncha top prospects (i.e. one-and dones) in the Champion's Classic last Tuesday in Chicago. Four of the top five teams, three going into the season with freshmen as their top players:

Wiggins (Kansas) scored 22 in 25 minutes (foul trouble in 1st half) in win over Duke
Palmer (Duke) scored 27 in 35 minutes in loss to Kansas
Randle (Kentucky) scored 27 (22 in 2nd half) in loss to MSU.

Kansas has the top prospect in Wiggins. Honestly, tho, any of five (or is it ten) guys could be freshman of the year. Good news for the Jayhawks: he might not be KU's best player. Soph Perry Ellis led KU with 24 in the win. He began to show his stuff in the second half of last season and looks like he's picked up where he left off.

Kentucky will gel, but they have only two seniors on the team, and they average 2.5 PPG/0.5 RPG. Combined.

MSU walks the walk, schedules the tough games early in the year, and wins. They have experience and should make the Final Four.

And the early and runaway leader in the Understatement of the Year category so far goes to Calipari: "understand we're not the greatest defensive team." Thanks, coach. Might have something to do with the loss, no?
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,195
Thanks.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
But this new rule that you can't put a hand on the guy with the ball is a bit extreme.
as players and refs get used to the new rule the game flow should smooth out a bit. you can still hand check someone, you just can't leave your hand on their hip or arm-bar them as the rule was "enforced" in the past.

it would be nice to see guys playing defense with their feet, rather than all the grabbing and clutching that went uncalled in the last few years.

the new block/charge rule should help dribble penetration too.

there is definitely going to be an adjustment period though.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,852
Was glad to see KU RockChalk Duke and Michigan State beat Korruptucky the other night.

UNM Lobos are expected to have a very good team this year under fist year head coach Craig Neil. Looking forward to it.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Tuesday nite biggies

Tuesday night with the bigs: five of the top six in action, with #1 MSU idle at 4-0 after two more Ws following their defeat of then-#1 Kentucky.

#2 Kansas beats Iona 86-66, pulling away in the 2nd half behind freshman 7-foot Cameroonian Joel Embiid's breakout game: 16 pts, 13 rebs and 7 for 7 from the field with his dad in the stands. It was dad's first time watching a game in person. Smooth-moving soph Perry Ellis again led KU scorers with 21. KU battled Iona's 2-2-1 zone and withstood a furious 3-point shooting performance, then cruised home for the W.

#3 Louisville over Hartford 87-48. Junior guard Chris Jones had 4 assists and 4 steals. He made 1 turnover in the game to take his 4-game season total to just 2. That's while handling the ball for 25 min/game. And it's catching: UL leads the nation with just 8 TOs this season. Montrezl Harrell led UL scorers with 20 pts and 9 rebs.

#4 Kentucky over UTexas-Arlington 105-76. After their loss to Michigan State, UK avenged March's first-round tournament loss to Robert Morris in...wut? That was the NIT? AHAHAHAHAAAA! Pffft. Never mind. Anyway, freshman Julius Randle goes double-double with 22 pts and 10 rebs. Kid is averaging almost 21 points and shooting over 61% from the field. UK has two games against top-25 teams before hosting Louisville on Dec. 28. Since they can't both lose, I'm gonna hold my nose and root for whichever team is ranked lower at game time. Pee-yew. At 4-1, Kentucky is all alone in 6th place in the SEC.

#5 Arizona beats the mighty Rams of Rhode Island 87-59. Arizona has zero top ten teams in its schedule, and will play just 4 games against ranked opponents: Michigan (14), UCLA (22), and Oregon (17, twice), so they should continue to interlope near the top of the rankings all year.

#6 Duke manages a 9-pt victory over E Carolina U. Freshman Jabari Parker has scored at least 20 points in each of Duke's five games this season. He scored 21, got 9 rebs, and blocked 6 shots. Soph forward Rodney Hood scored a career-high 30, going 2-2 from the arc and 12-12 from the line. Duke is in 6th place in the ACC, just behind Pitt.

How about that Wichita State team? Now at #14, coming off their Final Four performance in the 2013 NCAA Tournament, where they beat Gonzaga and Ohio State to get to Atlanta before losing to Louisville in the semis. There are no ranked teams in the Missouri Valley Conference, so WSU will again have to wait until March to prove themselves, but the Shockers have a Shaquille! Freshman Shaquille Morris, a 6'7" forward from Edmond, OK. WSU won the NIT in 2011, has been to the NCAA Tournament 15 times, and has won 111 games in the last four seasons under coach Gregg Marshall, who has taken the team from an 11-game winner in 2006 to a 30-game winner in 2013. Kansas hoop fans are used to having at least two Kansas teams in the tournament--looks like that should continue for a while.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
Was glad to see KU RockChalk Duke and Michigan State beat Korruptucky the other night.

UNM Lobos are expected to have a very good team this year under fist year head coach Craig Neil. Looking forward to it.
Hopefully we have a good team under first year coach Steve Alford. Never heard of this guy before reaching prominence at UCLA.
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

No kidding, you'd never heard of Alford? Dude has won everywhere as a coach, pretty flashy W-L numbers at UNM. Coached SW MO St. to the sweet 16. He was playing at Indiana around the time I was getting interested in college hoops in the mid-eighties.

In Alford's senior year, Indiana won the NCAAs in 87, first making it to the Final Four when LSU missed a regional finals-winning shot at the buzzer, and then winning the title on Keith Smart's jumper with 5 sec left to beat Syracuse. Syracuse had reached the finals by beating #6 seed Providence, cinderella team who had knocked off #1 seed Georgetown to reach the Final Four. Providence was coached by Rick Pitino. It was the first year of the 3-point shot in the tournament.

Just #1 and #2 in action tonight among the bigs:

Top-ranked Michigan State was down by six at home against Va. Tech with 10 min left in the first, but came back with a 29-13 run to close the half and are up 18 with 12 min left in the game. VT has senior forward Jarell Eddie and that's it: he's got 20. MSU is led by senior forward Adreian Payne with 25p/8r and junior guard Branden Dawson with 10p/8r.

#2 Kansas beat Towson by thirty after leading 49-16 at half at Allen Field House. Local radio guys picked Andrew White III as player of the game: 13 points in 14 minutes off the bench, 3-4 from the arc. But it was mainly just a dunkfest for the Jayhawks.

OK, fine. VCU is #10. They shook off their loss to lowly Florida St. and beat Long Beach St. in the Puerto Rico Tipoff. Now I don't want to talk about VCU any *cough*2011*cough* more.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
bergermeister
housin'

Yeah, I was kidding, thanks for the history though. We have an interesting dynamic in LA these days with two first year coaches: Alford and Enfield.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,852
I think he's aware I'm from New Mexico and a Lobo Basketball fan.

Many peeps here were pissed at Alford for leaving, especially as he'd just signed a big for NM contract extension and said all the right stuff. (I think sincerely)

I can't begrudge him moving to UCLA-- The way I see it College Basketball has five "crown jewel" jobs-- history here people.

Duke/UNC/Kentucky/Kansas and UCLA. If he is able to restore UCLA to top 10 basketball and an occasional National Championship that will be quite a feat. I wish Alford all the luck in the world-- I think he'll need it.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
Yeah, I was kidding, thanks for the history though. We have an interesting dynamic in LA these days with two first year coaches: Alford and Enfield.
Heh, couldn't tell in these here interwebz.

I was in my third year of college at Kansas when Alford and the Hoosiers did their thing. I had only recently become interested in hoops--I was a sports fan, and played hockey, soccer and baseball as a kid, but having grown up in St. Louis (no pro team) and never played the game (although two of my brothers did), I just didn't have much interest in b-ball. But of course, coming to Kansas changed that.

Yeah Enfield is interesting but out of nowhere to me. Just his third year as a head coach, huh? Coz he's kind of a loudmouth, or so it seems. He did well at Florida Whatchamacallit University, tho. Maybe he's just exuberant. Just read about him trashtalking Alford and former USC coach Tim Floyd of UTEP. Funny stuff. Trojans and Bruins on Jan 5, then? Imma keep an eye on the teams from the other LA (here in Jayhawk country, "LA" means "Lawrence Area").
Old 11-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
bergermeister
housin'

I read those comments from Enfield. He's kind of an unknown, could be a fluke of success last year, or could be the real deal. USC needed something exciting to sell some tickets, so they had nothing to lose by hiring him and his "dunk city."

Those comments were not too classy, but we'll see how his team plays.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

#1 in action

Michigan State with its hands full against Oklahoma in the championship game of the Coaches vs. Cancer. The Sooners are hanging around in the second half despite missing numerous opportunities after MSU turnovers and missed free throws. Spartans senior center Adreian Payne is sitting with 4 fouls as OU is down seven with the ball after breaking up MSU's inbounds play. A three-point foul on MSU's Valentine will send Cousins to the line with a chance to get the Sooners to within 4 with 3:53 to go. Edit: but.....no.

Schnickelfritz screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 11:22 AM
Old 11-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

#3 vs. one of the royals

Helluva game and two guards putting on a show in the finals of the Hall of Fame Tipoff in Connecticut. #3 Louisville tied at 44 with #24 North Carolina at half. Cardinals are 6-12 from 3-pt stripe, while Heels are shooting over 50%. UNC and Louisville led by their guards Paige and Smith, with 17 and 22 points, respectively. Harrell with 6 rebs for UL. Let's go blue!

Edit: Wow. All UNC in the second half. 10 of Roy's 11 players have scored, Harrell has fouled out, the four-minute break arrives with UNC up by 11. Heels come back in the zone and stop UL on the next possession. Looking good for the Tar Heels as Paige now with 28 pts, a career high. Meanwhile, UL's Russell Smith has 36 but can't get his team back in the game.

Schnickelfritz screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 12:08 PM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: