User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Scooter_Junkie_Girl OP
I love lamp.

Oddometer: 85
*Resolved* Garmin Montana 600, City Nav problem. Help!

Hi there! Invisidave gifted me an awesome Garmin Montana 600 (refurb) and I'm learning the ropes. This thing is way too cool for a technological idiot like myself, and I'm having some difficulties. Maybe y'all can give a noob a hand?

Here's the problem I'm having:

I've installed the current City Nav North America (2014) on it. I also purchased the Garmin auto friction mount, which has a speaker, and a cable that runs off the cigarette lighter 12v to charge it while in use.

The GPS does not seem to recognize that anything is plugged in when the mount is connected. It won't speak the navigation directions, and it doesn't charge the unit. What I'm wondering is if there is any easy way to tell if it is a problem with the mount, or with the GPS? I don't have another mount handy to test unfortunately.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I've spent quite a bit of money on this for it to crap out now!

*Resolved*

After extensive research and testing, the source of the issue was not the mount, but the GPS itself. It's a refurbished unit and the side mounting pieces do not register a connection, so something's short circuited there.

Hold my beer and watch this!

Scooter_Junkie_Girl screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 02:06 PM
Scooter_Junkie_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Junkie_Girl View Post
Hi there! Invisidave gifted me an awesome Garmin Montana 600 (refurb) and I'm learning the ropes. This thing is way too cool for a technological idiot like myself, and I'm having some difficulties. Maybe y'all can give a noob a hand?

Here's the problem I'm having:

I've installed the current City Nav North America (2014) on it. I also purchased the Garmin auto friction mount, which has a speaker, and a cable that runs off the cigarette lighter 12v to charge it while in use.

The GPS does not seem to recognize that anything is plugged in when the mount is connected. It won't speak the navigation directions, and it doesn't charge the unit. What I'm wondering is if there is any easy way to tell if it is a problem with the mount, or with the GPS? I don't have another mount handy to test unfortunately.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I've spent quite a bit of money on this for it to crap out now!
Have you checked the fuse in the plug end? Unscrew the tip and check it for continuity with a meter, or just try a different fuse.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote