User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
bvardi OP
Probably not Deciduous

Oddometer: 286
My personal history of being Impractical

I'm 41, employed in server and network support, and generally come across as a reasonable sort of person.

But I've got a little voice in the back of my head. Oddly enough where others have voices that whisper of power, of high speeds and shredded rubber - my voices whisper to me of things slow and old fashioned. Small CC bikes, scooters, or underpowered sidecar rigs.

The voice has led me to do a cross continent Ural trip as a memorial for my grandfather. It's led me to do several Mad Bastard scooter rallies.. including one where I drove an underpowered moped 21 hours straight and found out what it was like to drive up a hill.... and run to a complete stop with the throttle wide open.

But now the voices are talking about next year.... and I'm thinking.... what can I do next of an impractical nature.... and then I look out at my recently acquired Vespa PX scooter and Inder sidecar and I think... "Hmm.... I've never driven a machine out east."

So now I am thinking... from Toronto to the East coast. 1800km one way. About 3600km there and back. On a pair of 30 year old Vespa PX scooters. One with a sidecar attached. And likely about two weeks to do it in.

And a wife to convince to do it with as well.

Now this is something I could do on the Ural instead. We've driven that out to the west coast which is a greater distance one way than this entire trip. It'd make it just fine... and likely in greater comfort. (If not immensely greater speeds, though it is faster since it cruises about 95kph, while the Vespas would likely only do 80 or so.)

Like I said... the scooters are just not practical for this kind of thing. I do have other options. I might end up broken down in the middle of absolutely nowhere being eaten by mosquitoes of unusual size and vigor. Which already happened this year on the MBSR rally when I had a swingarm bolt nearly eject itself about a 40 minute drive from the nearest cell signal.

So then it comes down to decisions.... do I listen to practicality?

Or do I listen to the little voice. Hmm.
bvardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
bvardi OP
Probably not Deciduous

Looking at the math of a trip... 3600km in 14-16 days. Reserve 2 days because stuff happens, and mid journey you might just want a day to say "Screw it I'm not moving."

So then say 12 days... 3600km.... 300km a day.

Hmm.... figure to spend most of the trip on 80kph highways... probably would be lucky to average 50-60kph. So that makes it about 5-6 hours driving a day.

Doable... but since the two wheeler Vespa isn't a joy to drive in the rain (Anyone who has ever tried to brake a drum brake P series Vespa in the rain will know very well what I mean) - we'd likely need to put on some extra distance on good days to build up a bit of a time cushion. So figure 7-8 hours driving per day.

Should be doable enough to drive that long per day... even though you do get beat up more driving a vintage scooter than on a regular motorcycle. (At speed anyways.) And the sidecar rig will be a lot more work in the corners. At least having the Ural as my daily driver will help with that... I'm no stranger to long stretches on a sidecar.

Hmm... time to ponder some things over this winter. Mechanical concerns.... route choice..... camping or hotels (likely a combination of both).... and most importantly... how do I talk my wife into it.

Maybe I'll pull "Hey it'll be just like that time we rented a sidecar in France.... except longer, less great food, and in theory people who speak the same language!"

Methinks I need to scheme some on this.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
bvardi OP
Probably not Deciduous

Here's the sidecar beast....

A 1980's PX125E kitted with a 177 kit, and an Inder sidecar added. The kit has enough mileage on it to prove it is reliable and to break it in.. but not enough to wear it out. The bike itself is a former Italian post machine. And there isn't a rougher scooter rider in the entire world than an Italian postal worker. Every example I have seen of these has dented fenders, legshields, engine cowlings... scratches in odd places. Beaten up every day, day in and day out for years. But still going.

It's no wonder that when 4 P-series Vespas entered into the Paris-Dakar rally in 1980 two of them finished. Out of all the other type of vehicles... less than 40 percent finished.

Here's the other Vespa.... also an 80's PX Vespa. This one with the stock engine, but without a history of postal rage induced riding. This shot is from the Mad Bastard rally where my wife rode it for close to 800 kms within a 24 hour period. (I didn't make it due to the previously mentioned swingarm incident unfortunately... but she finished with my brother who was also along on his Kymco.)

So this machine has proven it can do 1/4 of the trip.... within 24 hours. At which point I think the rider is more of the weak point than the machine. It did have some throttle cable issues... but nothing that couldn't be fixed at the side of the road.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2982116...n/photostream/

Let me know if you are coming through Vermont
Old 11-13-2013, 04:23 AM   #5
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
sidecar=big fun
scooter=big fun

How could you possibly go wrong?
The only problem I see with timing is that everyone wants to stop you and talk about the sidecar.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
bvardi OP
Probably not Deciduous

Hmm - Vermont. Hadn't considered going to the US but definitely should. Right now the plan is "go east til you hit salty water"

And as for what can wrong - likely plenty. But it ain't an adventure if there is no possibility of disaster or stupidity!

Part of the planning will include what spares to bring. Certain things are obvious - with a vintage vespa a full set of spare cables (and a few clutch cable inners since they pack small) is a good idea. Spare tubes , maybe an extra tire. Jerry can. Hopefully can mitigate some potential disaster that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvardi View Post
unfortunately... but she finished with my brother who was also along on his Kymco.)

That's not a KYMCO, it's a SYM...rode one up to AK from CA three years ago.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Alternatively you could be the first person to compete in the Scooter Cannonball with a sidecar rig. The 2014 cannonball is going from Hyder, Alaska to New Orleans, LA arriving at the start of Amerivespa.

How's that for a crazy adventure? 3,600 miles in 10 days, party for 4 then return home at your leisure. I planned on doing it myself next year but circumstances have changed which likely means I'll have to wait until 2016 but I haven't given up hope completely yet.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
bvardi OP
Probably not Deciduous

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
That's not a KYMCO, it's a SYM...rode one up to AK from CA three years ago.
I know, it was the Sym that had the swingarm bolt unfasten itself. (I was riding it at the time.... unfortunately by the time I realized the bolt was undone, the nut on the end was long gone somewhere miles back. So I had to call for a tow and wave the two of them on so they could finish the rally.)
Old 11-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
bvardi OP
Probably not Deciduous

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Alternatively you could be the first person to compete in the Scooter Cannonball with a sidecar rig. The 2014 cannonball is going from Hyder, Alaska to New Orleans, LA arriving at the start of Amerivespa.

How's that for a crazy adventure? 3,600 miles in 10 days, party for 4 then return home at your leisure. I planned on doing it myself next year but circumstances have changed which likely means I'll have to wait until 2016 but I haven't given up hope completely yet.
That would be a trip... but unfortunately beyond time/budget restraints for me right now. (Would have to ship bike up to Alaska, then ship back from LA. to have the necessary vacation time to do it.)

Think if I had the cash for shipping I'd be tempted to go all the way from coast to coast on a small CC bike - that is still on my "to do" list for one day anyways.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
FWIW the scooter cannonball is a coast to coast ride. In this case Pacific northwest to Gulf of Mexico. Last year it was Savannah, GA to San Diego, CA.

Many folks ship and I believe there is at least one Canadian planning on competing next year http://scootercannonball.com
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
bvardi OP
Probably not Deciduous

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
FWIW the scooter cannonball is a coast to coast ride. In this case Pacific northwest to Gulf of Mexico. Last year it was Savannah, GA to San Diego, CA.

Many folks ship and I believe there is at least one Canadian planning on competing next year http://scootercannonball.com
Very true... but I think first I'd do coast to coast within Canada (but then after that, I'd need something for the "Next trip" so this could be number three on the big trip calendar :)

After all, have to have that list of trips to do and make sure you never run out of all of them!

The bucket list for me includes a Vietnamese scooter trip (may never happen), Australia, New Zealand, Europe (Did a sidecar rental in France.... HAVE to repeat that one day.)

For the moment.... I think going going east. Fits the budget, fits the vacation time available. And once I get past Kingston or so... it's unknown territory (Have only been out east once, and I was quite young... so I don't remember it very well.)
Old 11-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
I know, it was the Sym that had the swingarm bolt unfasten itself. (I was riding it at the time.... unfortunately by the time I realized the bolt was undone, the nut on the end was long gone somewhere miles back. So I had to call for a tow and wave the two of them on so they could finish the rally.)
Yeah they are known to do that. I had that happened on my trip to Alaska. Used a nut off the kick stand
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,219
"Hey it'll be just like that time we rented a sidecar in France.... except longer, less great food, and in theory people who speak the same language!"
Until you get to Quebec...
The Gaspe is something you should not miss. Scenery AND the people.
Have fun planning and do give us a report.
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
Very true... but I think first I'd do coast to coast within Canada (but then after that, I'd need something for the "Next trip" so this could be number three on the big trip calendar :)

After all, have to have that list of trips to do and make sure you never run out of all of them!
I'm getting the impression you get more enjoyment out of planning, listing epic rides than actually doing them. If funds and time allow ride what you want, where you want.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote