Old 11-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #31
voodoo child
No Quittin' Sense

Oddometer: 375
Old 11-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #32
peibarry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Well I am on PEI. If you don't want to ride a scoot home, leave them with me and fly!
peibarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #33
Dabears
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
I'll be anxiously following your trip- let us know where you will post details- Curious to see what if any issues you encounter on the Vespas.

I just ordered new buffer rubbers for mine- they're shot- you might want to check yours especially with the added stress of the sidecar.

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #34
bvardi OP
Probably not Deciduous

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by peibarry View Post
Well I am on PEI. If you don't want to ride a scoot home, leave them with me and fly!
If I get as far as PEI I suspect will be going all the way, but thanks :)
bvardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #35
bvardi OP
Probably not Deciduous

Quote:
Originally Posted by peibarry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
I'll be anxiously following your trip- let us know where you will post details- Curious to see what if any issues you encounter on the Vespas.

I just ordered new buffer rubbers for mine- they're shot- you might want to check yours especially with the added stress of the sidecar.
I'll put together a live blog site for the trip - easy enough to throw one up

Think I might be redoing the shocks do I'll redo the buffers as well. As you said, good to replace those on a sidecar rig!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #36
csisfun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvardi View Post
If I get as far as PEI I suspect will be going all the way, but thanks :)
If you go to P.E.I., enjoy the nice, smooth roads. But make sure you go to Nova Scotia because that's where the best riding is.
csisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #37
bvardi OP
Probably not Deciduous

I think casually mentioning to the wife might be wearing her down on the idea.... will see over the winter if I can bring her around to the idea of this trip :)

(Instead of a Ural trip that is)

Also have to ponder if we will do mostly camping (save some cash) or half and half hotel/camping, or mostly hotels. Since I think we'd do the US route for half the trip... probably would lean towards hotels since you'd get WIFI (data roaming isn't cheap) for that stretch.

Hmm... might have to consider powering electronics for that matter... have a camera to keep charged and cellphone. (Gotta take the trip pics... and I might do a blog of the trip as well... nice for the family to see what you are up to when you are away on something like this.) On the Ural that isn't an issue... accessory plug makes charging things a snap. The 12v Vespa system doesn't exactly have a lot of extra capability.

And we'd have our intercom headsets (scala G4 set), digital camera, two cellphones to keep charged up. Hmm. If I add a rechargeable battery pack... and do hotels every few days that likely should do it.

Lots to ponder. Of course I have months of non scooter friendly weather to do it.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #38
csisfun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Here's what I did to keep my batteries in order.

McDonald's and Timmies are great places to charge your stuff while you have breakfast/lunch/dinner.

I use a smartphone so you only need to have a USB socket to charge it. I bought a cigarette outlet with a USB adaptor which attaches onto the scooter's battery using alligator cables that I'd clip onto my battery overnight to charge my phone.

For my camera, I bought a second battery pack. I never used it, but I was diligent in keeping the batteries charged.
csisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #39
bvardi OP
Probably not Deciduous

Quote:
Originally Posted by csisfun View Post
Here's what I did to keep my batteries in order.

McDonald's and Timmies are great places to charge your stuff while you have breakfast/lunch/dinner.

I use a smartphone so you only need to have a USB socket to charge it. I bought a cigarette outlet with a USB adaptor which attaches onto the scooter's battery using alligator cables that I'd clip onto my battery overnight to charge my phone.

For my camera, I bought a second battery pack. I never used it, but I was diligent in keeping the batteries charged.
True... thought of something like that, if we charged one device at a time should work (don't want to drain the battery too much, as am not entirely sure of how much extra wattage these machines have. Of course a smartphone doesn't take much to charge from USB either.)

Might even be an idea to rig up a USB charger in the sidecar trunk. Have to do some wiring for the sidecar lights anyways, might as well tuck something in there with a switch on it so I can just plug in a phone and charge away. While the machine is running should be fine (especially since I've replaced the rear running light with an LED bulb already.)
Old 11-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #40
BanthaBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I keep 1 of these with me when schlepping about the state.

External battery packs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rder=BESTMATCH

2 of these or so should be plenty to keep the ipad/phone internet tether going for netflicks or whatever.
BanthaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #41
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
I just use a little inverter plugged into a cig lighter outlet attached to the battery. It charges my laptop, phone, etc., while I ride.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #42
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 3,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
I just use a little inverter plugged into a cig lighter outlet attached to the battery. It charges my laptop, phone, etc., while I ride.

That is what I do, but mostly just to charge the phone. My GPS and camera both use AA batteries. I carry a few spares, and buy more along the way. Never tried to ride with a laptop. Travelling by motorcycle/scooter has always been kind of a primitive experience for me, that's where most of the fun is. Even the phone (regular cell phone, not a smartphone) and a basic GPS (not the kind with maps) already kind of takes away from that.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #43
bvardi OP
Probably not Deciduous

I'm a fortunately man in my choice of spouse... my wife has agreed to do the trip on the Vespa's. (She may be less fortunate in HER choice of spouse... at least after the trip has taken place.)

Underpowered machines.... slow.... less comfortable to ride... 30 years old with my own indifferent ham-handed maintenance on top of a not completely documented history of each bike.

I can't think of a single thing that could go wrong.

(Don't ask me if I can think of MULTIPLE things that can go wrong... I might have to answer where my wife can hear and realize what she is in for.)

Hmm... time to pour over some maps and figure out the route over the winter months. US route first, or US route on the way back... hmm.

Come next summer, we're going east! (Land values may never be the same again.)
Old 12-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #44
bvardi OP
Probably not Deciduous

So I've been playing with google maps (because the one time it nearly killed me by sending me up a mountain pass road that was closed didn't quite convince me that I should stop using it.) and I came up with the following route...

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=to...mra=ls&t=m&z=5

1469 kilometres.... about 21 hours driving. So 3 days if we were to push it (but I think 4-5 are more realistic) Avoids most busy highways from the looks of it (though I need to dig into the details a bit more)

Not too shabby. I think our elderly scoots could handle that.

My wife has also expressed interest in going to St. Pierre et Miquelon... the France-owned island just off of newfoundland. So that would add a ferry to newfoundland, then a ferry to St. Pierre et Miquelon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Pierre_and_Miquelon

Unfortunately the ferry into there doesn't carry vehicles.... there goes the possibility of driving overseas on this trip!

Overall think this is a good starting plan for the route.... though the route is, as always for us on this kind of trip, more of a general plan than a strict rule. Gotta leave time to explore... and adjust things based on what you want to see.

Time to start looking up things along the route, and see what might be interesting to visit along the way.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #45
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Actually another ferry to St Pierre does carry vehicles. Once a week on Wednesdays I believe. The issue being that once you are there with your machine it is there for a week. Great little piece of France.
We had a fella last year ride his 50cc Honda from Toronto to here and back in June/July. Road loaded and camping along the way. Like a lot of visitors he did not get just how big the island is.
If you have any questions of The Rock....feel free to fire away.

PS...I also have the impractical gene. I rode my scooter 1350km from purchase to home after riding a 30 year old SP500 the same distance to go get it.

damurph screwed with this post 12-12-2013 at 12:42 PM
damurph is offline   Reply With Quote