Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 731
Question Rotax powered Scorpa solutions??

I have a 1999 Scorpa Easy in Washington. I use it once a year to ride at the Endurocross races in Everett.

It has the Rotax 250, which is reportedly a decent engine, with the exception of the stator having a high mortality rate. I've had the bike for a number of years and I'm at a fork in the road with it.

Should I try to invest some money into it (stator rewind BEFORE it fails/new piston and rings/general upgrades to keep it ridable) OR should I kick it to the curb in an ignominious fashion after it has provided years of reliable service?

I would like to participate in some of the Puget Sound Trialers events and learn what a trial is really like and then possibly use that to help trials grow in Alaska.

Am I asking too much out of a Clinton-era machine?

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 11-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post

Should I try to invest some money into it (stator rewind BEFORE it fails/new piston and rings/general upgrades to keep it ridable) OR should I kick it to the curb in an ignominious fashion after it has provided years of reliable service?

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Keeping it running will keep any value it has.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

The stator seems to be a weak (and expensive) point.

Does anyone know of a shop in the U.S. that can perform a rewind/rebuild on the Rotax's stator? The threads that I have found regarding the subject always refer to shops in England.

A shop would also want to know what values to rebuild the stator to. But Scorpas didn't come with any sort of manuals and there is very little online about them.

I think the failed stator is the primary reason that Scorpas of this vintage gets parted out.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,203
I assume you have spoken to Mike Komer at the Tryals shop.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
I assume you have spoken to Mike Komer at the Tryals shop.
i believe this is the guy i got the stator for my 1999 280 easy from

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

I did speak to Mike but that was nearly two years ago. Unless I am mixing my facts up, he has found someone in Canada who can get the job done.

As I recall, the price was a large percentage of the bike's value. It hasn't appreciated in value in that time but there are some items that could stand attention (ie: linkage, fresh top end).

I'm just having a hard time deciding if there is any logic in continuing to invest in that machine. But mostly, I'm hoping that someone has a cheap idea to fix the stator before it goes out.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #7
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

So , the stator is working now and you are worried it will go out? The only cheap prevention would be go ahead and rewind it yourself.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
I'm hoping that someone has a cheap idea to fix the stator before it goes out.
It won't cost you anything to not fix something that's not broken.

Ride, and maintain, the Scorpa until you're ready to buy a newer bike.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
val4215
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
The is a company called Ricky Stator
http://www.rickystator.com/

They do great work.
val4215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

The problem with this stator is that the wire is a very small diameter and very brittle, Ricky stator and the guy they recommended wouldn’t touch it,
My understanding is that the guy in Canada re-engineered it to use a larger wire.
I think it was only 1 or 2 hundred dollars (I am thinking $125 but not sure) I put the stator in the bike and rode it around some the stator seems to work fine

Old 11-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

I know that it sounds like paranoia; to be worried about a stator that hasn't failed yet. But I do have some reasons:

1) The sister bike that was imported to Alaska at the same as mine had it's stator fail and the owner sold it as a box of parts. A local shop owner/mechanic bought it for $500 and spent $600 to replace the stator. He is WAY more knowledgable and resourceful than I am.

2) Nearly every post I have found about the Rotax-powered Scorpas is a discussion about the failure of that bike's stator and how to repair it. Most of these posts are on British trials sites, since there weren't many of these bikes imported to the US.

If I can get ahead of this issue at a reasonable cost then I would gladly keep the bike. Everything else that needs repair is within my capabilities. I can barely tie my own shoelaces, so I think that I will have to defer to someone else to rewind the stator.

$125 is quite reasonable, so I'll give Mike a call since I need some more parts from him anyway. I hope that figure is at least in the ballpark.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
I know that it sounds like paranoia; to be worried about a stator that hasn't failed yet. But I do have some reasons:

1) The sister bike that was imported to Alaska at the same as mine had it's stator fail and the owner sold it as a box of parts. A local shop owner/mechanic bought it for $500 and spent $600 to replace the stator. He is WAY more knowledgable and resourceful than I am.

2) Nearly every post I have found about the Rotax-powered Scorpas is a discussion about the failure of that bike's stator and how to repair it. Most of these posts are on British trials sites, since there weren't many of these bikes imported to the US.

If I can get ahead of this issue at a reasonable cost then I would gladly keep the bike. Everything else that needs repair is within my capabilities. I can barely tie my own shoelaces, so I think that I will have to defer to someone else to rewind the stator.

$125 is quite reasonable, so I'll give Mike a call since I need some more parts from him anyway. I hope that figure is at least in the ballpark.
If your stator has survived well into it's second decade I would not touch it!
My motto regarding motorcycle modifications, which I assure you I learned the hard way, is "If you don't f... with it, you won't make it any worse".
Old 11-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

if it isn't broke don't fix it until it is

Old 11-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzzly View Post
if it isn't broke don't fix it until it is
^ this

In the case the stator fails you can always rewind it by yourself, there are almost no secrets in the process, get the same gauge cable, grab pen and paper, take note of how many turns each pole has and its direction (better make a drawing) solder where needed and put toghether. Almost no tools needed, just patience and care not to break the cable's insulation coating.

Sent from my LG-E612g using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293426
Sure, anyone can do it!
I really like that you ride the EASY in Endurocross. Not much of a trials bike, but that rotax motor sure ran good down the trail. Perfect fit!