Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #1981
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,033
I have a CH 250 WITH 35000 miles on it and it still has the stock belt on it. It still runs strong but is using a little oil between changes now. I also besides the 125 Aero ,CH 150 and 250 Hondas ,have a very nice Yamaha Riva 200 and ride them all . The Yammy is a totally different feel than the Hondas but is every bit as fast as the CH250 and almost as fugly.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #1982
Squar
Jim

Oddometer: 235
Wentwest ~ Here in UK I (and most riders) have been used to bikes that run true in a straight line with hands off, it makes life more pleasant for the rider, but when I got my Helix NEW in '90 I found to my horror that the bike always wanted to fall to the left if hands were removed... With single figure miles on the clock I complained to Honda UK about this and asked them to check out other CN250's to see if I had a bad one, a reply came back saying that they had tried other new machines from their stock and they performed the same, but they continued, "taking hands off the bars can lead to death! Always ride with two hands on the bars."

Mine still has only 6500 on the clock - and it is still the same but I guess I've got used to it now although riding my Sunbeam is a pure joy in comparison and rides straight as a rule.

Jim
Old 06-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #1983
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Oddometer: 2,121
880=088 Freeways with there own set of codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentwest View Post
Did anyone else notice that we just passed 2000 posts? That a whole bunch of activity.

scooterboi - nice to see an Elite 150 out and about in Vermont. I know this thread started with an Aero 125, but my loyalty to Elite 150's and 250's is very strong. Somehow the balance of performance, handling and reliability is just perfect. I had a Helix, too, and now a Reflex, and they are equally reliable but not nearly as maneuverable. As far as I'm concerned a 250 is perfect for me because it can go on the California freeways and it can zip in and out of anything in town, too. The Helix and Reflex are just too long.

Getting around town on a CH250 is the closest thing you can get to the dream of weightlessly floating around your neighborhood. Minus the naked part (at least for me).
Wentwest ~

Aero dosen't care if you are loyal to the Elite 150...Its just more of great old Honda bikes with a bit of zip and spark...that's why we all love them right?

Wentwest...California Bay area freeways are quite a challenge, do you have one of those camera dilly-bobs so you can show us how scooter worthy you need to be to not become a veggie burger?

Well done

PS ~ scootrboi is usually up at 5:00 am VT style...I know this because I'm up super early also to meet the new day and see what he's up to.

Hey, so how is the Honda spray- painting project going...Are you happy with your results?

Keep us posted,

PS ~ Totally cool, 2,000 posts!... at least we are all on the same boat, sometimes drifting out to sea...other times just seeing who's drifting.

~ Red

RedArrow screwed with this post 06-14-2014 at 09:26 AM
RedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #1984
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Squar ~

I mailed off the spoiler today; it feels really great that I can get you a part you need for your Lead.

Aero to Lead, an ocean apart.

~ Red
Old 06-13-2014, 09:43 PM   #1985
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
Quote:
Did anyone else notice that we just passed 2000 posts? That a whole bunch of activity.

scooterboi - nice to see an Elite 150 out and about in Vermont. I know this thread started with an Aero 125, but my loyalty to Elite 150's and 250's is very strong. Somehow the balance of performance, handling and reliability is just perfect. I had a Helix, too, and now a Reflex, and they are equally reliable but not nearly as maneuverable. As far as I'm concerned a 250 is perfect for me because it can go on the California freeways and it can zip in and out of anything in town, too. The Helix and Reflex are just too long.

Getting around town on a CH250 is the closest thing you can get to the dream of weightlessly floating around your neighborhood. Minus the naked part (at least for me).
Just a technicality but it is a 125. The new muffler has set everything straight on that scooter. Have you ever noticed that the muffler affects the Elite rather profoundly?
Old 06-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #1986
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

The Aero in motion

Great scootrboi,

Now that I got you on the line, can you tell me what program you use to embed your home movies?

This is something I do not know how to do.

Thanks,

~ Red
Old 06-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #1987
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Hey all,

It's my last commute up to SF, and I couldn't be happier to just park my car for the Summer. Everyone have fun, It's going to be a busy weekend hopefully everyone will get out to ride!

See you later tonight!

~ Red
Old 06-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #1988
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
I have a CH 250 WITH 35000 miles on it and it still has the stock belt on it. It still runs strong but is using a little oil between changes now. I also besides the 125 Aero ,CH 150 and 250 Hondas ,have a very nice Yamaha Riva 200 and ride them all . The Yammy is a totally different feel than the Hondas but is every bit as fast as the CH250 and almost as fugly.
baloneyskin daddy ~

Wow...35000 miles on the same belt? Are you the original owner?

Tell me about your Aero, does she look like mine?

I think it's that funny nose that the Riva boasts that makes her so fugly (I had to look that word up in the Dictionary).

OK, I have to high tail it out of here.

~ Red
Old 06-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #1989
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 524
Right now I already painted the fenders and side covers and they look pretty good. The tank is all stripped and down to bare steel and now I'm in the middle of the Bondo, sand, clean, bondo, sand, clean, bondo, sand, clean routine. It's pretty frustrating because I like to fix stuff, not play with it. Every time you do a step you have to wait for things to dry and set before you go on to the next step. Painting is the same, and I had to wait at least two days between coats of paint. And even after that it feels like you should wait a week or two before you handle anything. Anyway, patience is rewarded eventually. Meanwhile I'm stinking up the garage and catching hell for that, and there's a fair amount of sanding dust everywhere.

The other CL175 runs fine. I still reach for the CH250 to run errands.

Ain't it a beauty? 65 indicated mph easily.

There's no secret to freeway riding. In many ways it's safer because of limited cross traffic, less intersections. I try to stay in the right lane, but sometimes it's better one lane over because of entrances. No one sees you. No one thinks you should be there. You are on your own. If you want to go on the freeway, then you just go. It's always good to remember that very fast stops are very difficult to control, and the brakes on these things are poor, at best. Also, the 10 inch tires are really turning fast, so be sure the tires are in good shape.
Attached Images

Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #1990
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Great scootrboi,

Now that I got you on the line, can you tell me what program you use to embed your home movies?

This is something I do not know how to do.

Thanks,

~ Red
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...d4&oe=539CF15E

I posted it in an incognito window, the copied the url and pasted it on my reply. So it is just a link, it is not embedded.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #1991
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,033
Quote:
baloneyskin daddy ~

Wow...35000 miles on the same belt? Are you the original owner?

Tell me about your Aero, does she look like mine?

I think it's that funny nose that the Riva boasts that makes her so fugly (I had to look that word up in the Dictionary).

OK, I have to high tail it out of here.

~ Red
I'm the 2nd owner.I purchased it from a friends 85 yr old father with 1400 miles on it.He had a huge windscreen on it that when another vehicle would pass in either direction the bike would get blown around and the old man didn't feel safe on it anymore. The Aero is identical to yours ,has only 6ooo miles on it but was kept in a garage with a gravel floor and has a little undercarriage rust but not to bad overall.It is a blast to ride because its so small. I'm too big for it.I look like a bear on a bicycle at a circus.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #1992
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

The commute ends here.

Quote:
Right now I already painted the fenders and side covers and they look pretty good. The tank is all stripped and down to bare steel and now I'm in the middle of the Bondo, sand, clean, bondo, sand, clean, bondo, sand, clean routine. It's pretty frustrating because I like to fix stuff, not play with it. Every time you do a step you have to wait for things to dry and set before you go on to the next step. Painting is the same, and I had to wait at least two days between coats of paint. And even after that it feels like you should wait a week or two before you handle anything. Anyway, patience is rewarded eventually. Meanwhile I'm stinking up the garage and catching hell for that, and there's a fair amount of sanding dust everywhere.

The other CL175 runs fine. I still reach for the CH250 to run errands.

Ain't it a beauty? 65 indicated mph easily.

There's no secret to freeway riding. In many ways it's safer because of limited cross traffic, less intersections. I try to stay in the right lane, but sometimes it's better one lane over because of entrances. No one sees you. No one thinks you should be there. You are on your own. If you want to go on the freeway, then you just go. It's always good to remember that very fast stops are very difficult to control, and the brakes on these things are poor, at best. Also, the 10 inch tires are really turning fast, so be sure the tires are in good shape.
Hi! Wentwest, I'm home now...I parked, I'm done.

Your Black beauty looks great, a big girl 250!
But I liked what you said about getting on the freeway...I do not think I'm quite there yet. One thing I learned about riding is do not get ahead of yourself. I know I'm a lot newer at this then you guys but I have not got into 4th gear with Trail then back down again. City blocks are short and 3rd gear seems to suffice.

But as you leave Santa Cruz on the North side up the PCH you can get up to 45mph then get in the left lane and go back to residential. I'm going to do this with Trail her bigger tires make for a faster ride. Aero has wobble issues 35mph max (which is fine and I respect her for that).

As for bondo, sand, clean...I know you guys were really not all with me when I bought Trail from that Traveling Man Of The World but she was and is really beautiful in that department. I really do not have the patience to do body work.

Electrical yes, trouble-shooting maybe, cry on all your shoulders when things go awry...defiantly.

~ Red
Old 06-14-2014, 10:34 PM   #1993
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Here's our trip to the Grand Canyon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...d4&oe=539CF15E

I posted it in an incognito window, the copied the url and pasted it on my reply. So it is just a link, it is not embedded.
Hey scootrboi,

Thanks for letting me know, you are always a master at this craft.
I will see what I can do...I'm sure there is a whole new direction we can share instead of "stills" Aero has a voice, Trail has a kick.

It might take me a while; I'm pretty low-fi.

~ Red
Old 06-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #1994
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
I'm the 2nd owner.I purchased it from a friends 85 yr old father with 1400 miles on it.He had a huge windscreen on it that when another vehicle would pass in either direction the bike would get blown around and the old man didn't feel safe on it anymore. The Aero is identical to yours ,has only 6ooo miles on it but was kept in a garage with a gravel floor and has a little undercarriage rust but not to bad overall.It is a blast to ride because its so small. I'm too big for it.I look like a bear on a bicycle at a circus.
I like that Bear on a bicycle at a circus....good imagery.
That's what I'm going to do if I ever get a dual sport, buy a bike to scale, or maybe a tad bit smaller.

~ Red

RedArrow screwed with this post 06-15-2014 at 05:55 AM
RedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:57 AM   #1995
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey scootrboi,

Thanks for letting me know, you are always a master at this craft.
I will see what I can do...I'm sure there is a whole new direction we can share instead of "stills" Aero has a voice, Trail has a kick.

It might take me a while; I'm pretty low-fi.

~ Red
The easiest way is to put your home videos on a site like flickr or youtube. Either one allows for privacy if you indicate so. Then you will have a url to post. With youtube there is a code displayed for embedding. Just post the code like you would a url and there it is.