User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #226
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Oddometer: 1,351
gitsum ~

I've seen little paint marks on various nuts and bolts on previous bikes and wondered why they were there, as they didn't seem to be serving any "lock-tite" function. I thought it might be some sort of PO Voodoo.

Now I know...

BTW, I just ordered this, so now I have something else to wait for before tearing into my CVT project:

http://www.harborfreight.com/adjusta...nch-36554.html

Went to Andy's, my local trusty auto parts store but they didn't carry anything like it. Closest thing they had for my purposes was a strap wrench or a oil filter wrench. For $5.00, I decided to go with what I ordered.

RedArrow screwed with this post 01-03-2014 at 10:22 AM
RedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #227
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,505
The nuts I removed also had these marks on them. Looks like they were made with a felt pen. I went over them with an electric engraver to make them permanent, because cleaning the parts would remove the original marks. If you use the same nut, washers, and other parts as you took apart, then lining up the marks should get them pretty close. I didn't mention it because I figured it would open up another can of worms, but I also went just a hair past the marks when I reinstalled the nuts. Remember that axle nuts are often castle nuts, with a cotter pin that goes through the nut, and through a hole in the axle. Very rarely will you get the torque just perfect with the nut lined up with the hole in the axle. You have to either back off a tiny bit, or tighten it a bit more. Standard practice it to tighten it more until things line up.

As for the cover, mine is vented, as they all are. There is a foam filter at the front, over the front outer pulley, the one with the fins on it that serves as a fan. There is an open hole at the rear of the rear of the aluminum cover, but then there is a large plastic cover that covers the entire aluminum cover, including the hole. The hole still serves as a vent because the plastic cover does not fit tight over it. Here in AZ water is not the problem. It's dust. Lots of it. Many of the "scooter tuners" run their scooters with no cover at all, and have the CVT all polished or painted to make it look good. So you are fine without the gasket. While waiting for parts, I put the cover back on mine without a gasket, and it fit fine.

Check this out. Doing it this way is practically guaranteed to break the fins off the front pulley. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtXSliMjvLk

JerryH screwed with this post 01-03-2014 at 10:49 AM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #228
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 273
Jerry ~

On that video you can see some wear marks on the flywheel from some previous ass-hattery; don't know if the posters in the vid are responsible or not. The manual says to hold the flywheel to remove the drive face, so I don't see why they are putting pressure on those fins to begin with, but that's the Internet for you.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #229
JerryH
Vintage Rider

I definitely agree it is not a good idea to apply any force to the fins. But the Vino 125 has two holes in the front face, which is where the holding tool goes. I used the rear face to hold it, which is way stronger than the front, which seems about as fragile as a potato chip.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #230
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

I'm curious if there would be any way of holding the drive end steady from the alternator side? On the Aero it seems possible.

~ Albert Einstein

Old 01-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #231
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
You're right, the rollers are supposed to be greased. Glad to hear that you think they'll be OK. I'm looking at about a week until my parts come, so I'll guess I'll just ride till then. Lucky me.

Thanks to you and the others who answered my gasket question. And glad the gasket isn't super-important. I'm happy to leave it be, then.
With the two different types of scooters I've had so far, grease was a no-no in the variator. I've done no research on your aero 125, but I can't imagine grease in an area where it could get thrown on the belt!
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #232
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
With the two different types of scooters I've had so far, grease was a no-no in the variator. I've done no research on your aero 125, but I can't imagine grease in an area where it could get thrown on the belt!
On many of those 80's era honda they had grease in the variator/rollers. There is a cap with an oring over the back plate of the variator that keeps all the grease contained. This prolongs the life of the rollers to an incredible amount compared to a dry setup. Don't know why do don't do it anymore, works great.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #233
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
gitsum ~

I've seen little paint marks on various nuts and bolts on previous bikes and wondered why they were there, as they didn't seem to be serving any "lock-tite" function. I thought it might be some sort of PO Voodoo.

Now I know...

BTW, I just ordered this, so now I have something else to wait for before tearing into my CVT project:

http://www.harborfreight.com/adjusta...nch-36554.html

Went to Andy's, my local trusty auto parts store but they didn't carry anything like it. Closest thing they had for my purposes was a strap wrench or a oil filter wrench. For $5.00, I decided to go with what I ordered.
looking back at your pic of the variator I don't see a spot for the pins of the pin tool to fit into...so not sure if that would work for the variator, maybe the clutch bell if it has holes like most clutch bells do.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #234
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
On many of those 80's era honda they had grease in the variator/rollers. There is a cap with an oring over the back plate of the variator that keeps all the grease contained. This prolongs the life of the rollers to an incredible amount compared to a dry setup. Don't know why do don't do it anymore, works great.
Huh, OK. I can't imagine a variator working smoothly with grease in there, but it must have worked.
I've got about 20,000 miles on the sliders in each of my Relexes, and they seem to be fine so far. Will weigh them at next belt change.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #235
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
The one I am working on has a lot of years on it-29- but only 12,000 miles. Lots of grease in the variator, but also ground up spacers and a chipped roller. It did sit for 17 years, maybe that did the spacers in. I have been advised to leave it dry with new rollers or sliders. I have to chuckle though, I bought this scooter new, and also bought the shop manual and the service tools for holding the variator and the clutch. From what I am reading, I wonder if I am the only one who did. The variator tool works really well. I will see about the universal holder. They cost me 30 bucks each.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:49 PM   #236
JerryH
Vintage Rider

It looks like grease would make the rollers stick, but I believe the rollers on these older scooters are quite a bit heavier than on newer scooters. Seems I remember someone saying the rollers were 16G. Maybe that's why.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #237
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

From the NH125 manual:

~ Albert Einstein

Old 01-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #238
Goofaroo
The Piddler

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
I'm curious if there would be any way of holding the drive end steady from the alternator side? On the Aero it seems possible.
I keep a section of braided nylon rope in my tool box to lock the piston so I can remove variators and such. Just remove the spark plug and feed the rope into the cylinder. You can rotate the engine and use the rope to tell where the piston is on it's stroke. Just feed about a foot or so of the rope into the bore and the the piston will rest against it allowing you to remove the variator.
Goofaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #239
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofaroo View Post
I keep a section of braided nylon rope in my tool box to lock the piston so I can remove variators and such. Just remove the spark plug and feed the rope into the cylinder. You can rotate the engine and use the rope to tell where the piston is on it's stroke. Just feed about a foot or so of the rope into the bore and the the piston will rest against it allowing you to remove the variator.

You sir have a bright idea. I have never done this on a scooter, but have done it on a few motorcycles, and hundreds of small engines, like those on landscape equipment. Never had an issue. I'm not sure just how fragile a scooter engine is, I can just see bending the rod or something. I learned this technique about 40 years ago. And the old guy who showed it to me learned it as a kid. So it has been around a long time.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #240
Goofaroo
The Piddler

Oddometer: 130
I've been doing it for years as well and never a problem. You can buy a device that is intended to do the same thing that is just a metal post that threads into the spark plug hole but I was afraid that the metal could damage the top of the piston.
Goofaroo is offline   Reply With Quote