Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #76
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,825
That is a right proper find! "If the headlight's out just jiggle the cord".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
It's a Honda all you gotta do is clean the carb and just ride!

What's the cleaning solution you used? I had thought about doing the same but don't have an electric razor. Just recently finally got a sonic cleaner off amazon for $25.

CA DMV M1 test is a breeze.

Now all you got to do is:

brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:26 AM   #77
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentwest View Post
Don't you think that would be a great name for a pizza delivery company?

Order From Chaos!

I'll have a large mushroom and red onion please. Double anchovies for my noisy neighbor with the high blood pressure!

. . .

And next time you feel a little hungry, Order from Chaos.
Did someone say pizza?

I was looking for some crazy Italian on a scooter delivering a pizza and wound up with this instead. The expression on the dog's face just cracks me up.

RedArrow screwed with this post 12-01-2013 at 09:54 AM
RedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #78
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
I've been quietly watching this thread and not previously chiming in because I've never dealt with bystarters and had no advice to offer.

I do want to say I'm really impressed with your persistence, and the overall nice way that your scooter is coming back to life. It's a good testament to Honda build quality that your issue was tied to crud in the carb instead of failed electronics.

I hope now that you have it up and running with new tires you'll be able to put some serious miles on it! Your posts are very informative and I give you credit for stopping to take pictures in the middle of your work- something that I don't usually bother to do.

Thanks for posting and enjoy your scooter!

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #79
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Just stopped by my friend's shop Battlescooter yesterday and picked up a few things and he had an Aero125 in the back and asked if I wanted to buy it. Said it ran like it was on roids, was missing a few things but looked good with over 10k miles.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #80
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
I've been quietly watching this thread and not previously chiming in because I've never dealt with bystarters and had no advice to offer.

I do want to say I'm really impressed with your persistence, and the overall nice way that your scooter is coming back to life. It's a good testament to Honda build quality that your issue was tied to crud in the carb instead of failed electronics.

I hope now that you have it up and running with new tires you'll be able to put some serious miles on it! Your posts are very informative and I give you credit for stopping to take pictures in the middle of your work- something that I don't usually bother to do.

Thanks for posting and enjoy your scooter!
Gosh. That was really nice! Today was one of those days when someone brings you a motorcycling jacket with armor and a full faced helmet for free and that, combined with your words of encouragement have made this a very appreciative day indeed. Thanks.

Tomorrow, I'm going to take her out on the street for the first time without worrying about her dying at every stop. I'm going to photograph her with all of her cladding back on (I still need to replace the seat) and continue to document my journey.

This is my first bike; I don't have a motorcycle license; and I'm by no means an expert mechanic, but I grew up in the Volkswagen generation, and my dad taught me how to maintain a simple air-cooled engine. I guess those lessons stuck with me. I don't care if it's a sewing machine, a weed-whacker or a Honda scooter, these are things worth knowing and teaching your children like how to build a fire or cook their own food and in a way survive.

Sometimes with these old bikes, you've got to modify and not be afraid to modify and think creatively. Anyone can walk into a showroom, plop down some cash, and ride out with a perfectly running machine. But where's the fun in that? Short term vs. long term. Basically, will any mechanic care about your bike as much as you do?

I want people to participate without feeling like I have all the answers, because I'm really new at this, too.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #81
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Quote:
Just stopped by my friend's shop Battlescooter yesterday and picked up a few things and he had an Aero125 in the back and asked if I wanted to buy it. Said it ran like it was on roids, was missing a few things but looked good with over 10k miles.
Sounds like an interesting deal. Are you going to buy it or what and what's missing? Is it a gold one or a red one? How about a picture?
Old 12-02-2013, 01:24 AM   #82
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Sounds like an interesting deal. Are you going to buy it or what and what's missing? Is it a gold one or a red one? How about a picture?
No, I have no interest in it...already have my NHX110, Tomos Honda moped and a W650. So got more then I can ride at any given time. Reality is I want/need things that I rather spend more time riding then wrenching, cause I'd rather ride then wrench. The Aero is missing a front fender and needs the seat upholster, other then that it looked in really good shape, plastic was very nice..can't remember if it was red or gold. Look up Battlescooter.com and email'em and ask for pics. Tell'em the scooter riding crazy dog eating gook sent you. He said make him an offer, so make sure to low ball him first.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #83
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Quote:
No, I have no interest in it...already have my NHX110, Tomos Honda moped and a W650. So got more then I can ride at any given time. Reality is I want/need things that I rather spend more time riding then wrenching, cause I'd rather ride then wrench. The Aero is missing a front fender and needs the seat upholster, other then that it looked in really good shape, plastic was very nice..can't remember if it was red or gold. Look up Battlescooter.com and email'em and ask for pics. Tell'em the scooter riding crazy dog eating gook sent you. He said make him an offer, so make sure to low ball him first.
Hey, DaBinChe. Is this the place in Sunnyvale? I tried Googling Battlescooter but just got a bunch of Ruckus stuff with no link for used bikes. I'm not really interested in buying another one right now (although I kind of am ) but would still like drooling over some pictures and you can always use another parts bike, right?

At this point I'm with you I want to ride rather than wrench, but all you inmates out there might want to check it out because these are great little scoots; and fast, too!

You're the only guy I know who if the Domino's delivery dog came to your house, you'd eat the dog instead of the pizza.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #84
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Yes, Sunnyvale. He specializes in japanese parts so if you are ever in need of something Japanese or not available here but is in Japan then he can get it for you. It usually takes several months for a special order item cause it comes over via boat unless you want to pay for air delivery. Yum dog!
Old 12-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #85
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,400
Quote:
Gosh. That was really nice! Today was one of those days when someone brings you a motorcycling jacket with armor and a full faced helmet for free and that, combined with your words of encouragement have made this a very appreciative day indeed. Thanks.

Tomorrow, I'm going to take her out on the street for the first time without worrying about her dying at every stop. I'm going to photograph her with all of her cladding back on (I still need to replace the seat) and continue to document my journey.

This is my first bike; I don't have a motorcycle license; and I'm by no means an expert mechanic, but I grew up in the Volkswagen generation, and my dad taught me how to maintain a simple air-cooled engine. I guess those lessons stuck with me. I don't care if it's a sewing machine, a weed-whacker or a Honda scooter, these are things worth knowing and teaching your children like how to build a fire or cook their own food and in a way survive.

Sometimes with these old bikes, you've got to modify and not be afraid to modify and think creatively. Anyone can walk into a showroom, plop down some cash, and ride out with a perfectly running machine. But where's the fun in that? Short term vs. long term. Basically, will any mechanic care about your bike as much as you do?

I want people to participate without feeling like I have all the answers, because I'm really new at this, too.

Great post. It sounds like you get it. There is something very satisfying about working on an old vehicle, and improvising is often a part of the deal, due to a lack of parts. But sometimes an improvised solution can actually be better than the way it was originally done. I have owned 2 VW bugs, and have built a few VW engines. I would love to have another but just don't have room for it at the moment. I consider John Muir's VW "idiot book" to be not only one of the best mechanical manuals I've ever read, but also one of the greatest collections of wisdom and common sense. And it is always great to see someone keeping an old vehicle on the road because they want to and enjoy it, rather than just getting something newer. If you are interested, you sound like a good candidate for a vintage Vespa. All the parts are readily available for them. I have always thought of them as the VW bug of scooters. Best of luck with your Aero. Ride safe and have lots of fun.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #86
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Great post. It sounds like you get it. There is something very satisfying about working on an old vehicle, and improvising is often a part of the deal, due to a lack of parts. But sometimes an improvised solution can actually be better than the way it was originally done. I have owned 2 VW bugs, and have built a few VW engines. I would love to have another but just don't have room for it at the moment. I consider John Muir's VW "idiot book" to be not only one of the best mechanical manuals I've ever read, but also one of the greatest collections of wisdom and common sense. And it is always great to see someone keeping an old vehicle on the road because they want to and enjoy it, rather than just getting something newer. If you are interested, you sound like a good candidate for a vintage Vespa. All the parts are readily available for them. I have always thought of them as the VW bug of scooters. Best of luck with your Aero. Ride safe and have lots of fun.
Molto buon suggerimento!!!! I really like the looks of those old Vespas even though I haven't checked out the used market in my area to see if any are available. Right now I've got my hands full with my Honda, but in the future??? Maybe something like this will show up in my garage the best of both worlds:

Here's a short movie of my first ride yesterday since solving my idling problem and changing out my back tire. It might look like I'm going slow but it's just a trick of the camera. A snail actually beat me to the corner, along with an old lady in a walker. Have a good larf on me!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #87
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Sorry, I haven't figured out posting videos & I can't get this server to allow me to edit it either.

Anyway, I'm going to the beloved DMV to take my written test for my M1 and also get my California plates on my bike. Wish me luck!
Old 12-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #88
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
haven't figured out posting videos
Link
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #89
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,861
There is a certain satisfaction of bringing back from what the PO thought was a 'dead' condition, motorbike. One of the ones I really appreciated was back in the early 80's, it was a little 1964 Honda C100-T that I found while I had very little disposable income. Just married and still getting our careers going, I picked this bike from a neighbor's back yard where it had languished in a tool shed for many, many years. I paid the owner $30 to save him the trouble of taking it to the dump. It was fairly complete, but was missing the headlight shell plastic, left side plastic cover and the kickstarter shaft had snapped off. It required some chrome polish and a bit of electronic tinkering, it had good compression, the carb was spotless as well as the fuel tank, but it refused to fire the spark plug, which I finally traced to a nicked 'ign hot' wire grounding onto the key switch's wire loom clamp.

What a relief it was to get that little bike going, yeah it was a nearly antique Honda Trail 50. Back then they were not that rare or appreciated. They were for their time, the perkiest little four stroke, CC for horsepower. It would do an honest 40 mph and then some.

Funny that some of the 50 cc Honda scooters of the 80's would be hard pressed to keep up with it once it was in 3rd gear. It was our second car for nearly 6 years. I've owned a few Cub's and Trail 90's, they were all quite satisfying little bikes to own and maintain, much like the early aircooled V-dubs and old Volvo's.

OH yeah, LUCK! and welcome to the two wheeler moto community.

Watch out, every-one driving a car is really actively trying to kill you, if they know it, or not.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #90
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
Thanks for that tip. I see it works from YouTube but I'm linking things from Photobucket where the code is a bit different. I'll keep working at it. Not that seeing me go 10mph is that fantastic.