Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #91
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Oddometer: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek View Post
There is a certain satisfaction of bringing back from what the PO thought was a 'dead' condition, motorbike. One of the ones I really appreciated was back in the early 80's, it was a little 1964 Honda C100-T that I found while I had very little disposable income. Just married and still getting our careers going, I picked this bike from a neighbor's back yard where it had languished in a tool shed for many, many years. I paid the owner $30 to save him the trouble of taking it to the dump. It was fairly complete, but was missing the headlight shell plastic, left side plastic cover and the kickstarter shaft had snapped off. It required some chrome polish and a bit of electronic tinkering, it had good compression, the carb was spotless as well as the fuel tank, but it refused to fire the spark plug, which I finally traced to a nicked 'ign hot' wire grounding onto the key switch's wire loom clamp.

What a relief it was to get that little bike going, yeah it was a nearly antique Honda Trail 50. Back then they were not that rare or appreciated. They were for their time, the perkiest little four stroke, CC for horsepower. It would do an honest 40 mph and then some.

Funny that some of the 50 cc Honda scooters of the 80's would be hard pressed to keep up with it once it was in 3rd gear. It was our second car for nearly 6 years. I've owned a few Cub's and Trail 90's, they were all quite satisfying little bikes to own and maintain, much like the early aircooled V-dubs and old Volvo's.

OH yeah, LUCK! and welcome to the two wheeler moto community.

Watch out, every-one driving a car is really actively trying to kill you, if they know it, or not.
Hey, YamaGeek. Do you have any pictures of this pasteurized scooter? I'd love to see one. Those barn finds are always fun to hear about.

Wouldn't it be great to create an East Coast/West Coast/North South scooter boneyard where people could come once a year to buy and sell old scooters and parts?

Thanks for the support and encouragement. Working on these old bikes isn't for everybody, but for those of us who get it, it sure is fun!

Today, my bike and I are legal. It feels really great. The DMV in Capitola was just about to close and I'd been there for over three hours trying to get my California license plates and take the two required written tests to get the M1 endorsement on my driver's license. Nerve wracking times. I finally got the Washington State title from the PO's PO, which was the last step in completing the transfer of title paperwork. It was great to finally put that to bed. California seems like a really difficult state when it comes to titling out of state vehicles. Probably due to the CARB standards, most likely. If my 84 Honda wasn't in such a great state and totally worth the effort, it would have been so easy to walk away from the entire thing. But there she was, just asking me to rescue her. I'm so glad I did.

As for my license, that was another hurdle I had to cross yesterday in order to be street legal (out of both tests, I only missed one question! Being over-prepared really helps). So after surviving paperwork hell, I've got a year to practice riding in circles and weaving through empty V-8 bottles to prove my road-worthiness to the powers that be. BTW, the new California motorcycle license plate is tres European-looking: white background with navy blue numerals & letters. No sunset; no crappy script on top. A very clean design.

I'll be riding and writing in the days ahead. It feels great to be legal. And I'll do my best to avoid the cagers.

RedArrow screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 08:29 PM
RedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #92
gitsum79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Well done!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #93
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Hey everyone. I'm riding now. Today I put my new license plates on and I have my permit. I'm trying to get up to 35 mph. Feels great. I love my scooter and I'll post some pictures soon out by the Great Pacific.

I just want to say to all you scoots out there, let's post some pics of you out on your best ride.

Strangely, it's been cold out here the last couple of days, at least by California standards, and wouldn't you know it, my bf's Klim Baja pants showed up today in the mail. Better fit for another season. But this colder weather makes me appreciate my riding gloves and jacket, which before felt bulky and unnecessary. If anyone's done any winter scooter trips, I'd love to hear about that, too. And sister Judy: show me your Vespa!
Old 12-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #94
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Go to the DMV youtube website and watch their video on the M1 test.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #95
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
Go to the DMV youtube website and watch their video on the M1 test.
OK. Ride On, my brutha...
Old 12-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #96
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Hey, YamaGeek. Do you have any pictures of this pasteurized scooter? I'd love to see one. Those barn finds are always fun to hear about.

Wouldn't it be great to create an East Coast/West Coast/North South scooter boneyard where people could come once a year to buy and sell old scooters and parts?

Thanks for the support and encouragement. Working on these old bikes isn't for everybody, but for those of us who get it, it sure is fun!

..respective snippy..

I'll be riding and writing in the days ahead. It feels great to be legal. And I'll do my best to avoid the cagers.
Well no I usually was having too much fun riding the darn thing to remember taking pictures. I used to provide a service of such for a serious bicycling friend when I was his Sunday morning pacing-bike for his time trial practice. I'm wondering if he has some photos from those mornings.. "Brrrr..."

We used to do this at Five-early starting in February, I used to use newspaper layered under my jacket to cut the chill. I was younger and dumber then. The local Eugene used moto parts outfit had dozens of C100-C102-C105 Cubs, they had rows of their little cast-iron heads peeking out of stacks of cardboard boxes in their back shelves, But they went out of business in 1990.

Hard to find used bits for C100's nowadays, parts are available but seriously intact bikes not so much, I get comments on it nearly every time I'm in town. Sometime I will rebuild the old 50 cc engine, but it's got some serious internal wear.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #97
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Yeah, I really like those little bikes a lot. Too bad your local dealer went out of business. I know how that is. Here in Santa Cruz a collage town there isn't one scooter shop to be had. Bikes galore, but no scooter shops or even boneyards to go and find parts from. It's like an island.

While noodling around CL I ran across this ad for what seems to be a pretty decent Aero 125 in Sacramento. The poster is asking $850, and it's tempting to run up there and pick her up myself. After all, these things are rare, fun to ride, and deserve to be saved.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/4236914694.html

I went riding today in the sunny coldness that is our current condition and a few blocks for home my battery decided to give up the ghost, so I was forced to coast back home, Luckily, it was all downhill LOL and I have a triple charger, so hopefully, tomorrow, I can start out again and actually get somewhere.

Beauty shots to follow.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #98
RedArrow OP
If only the moon

Beauty shots on hold.

I was taking off with my camera to take some pics of my winter ride when she dies just a few blocks from the garage. So I pushed her home and discovered that the battery was dead. So I hooked up the triple charger and waited for the green light to flash to steady. That done, I started her up and wouldn't you know it, she started with the same bad idling malarkey that I thought I had dealt with weeks ago. So now I'm more or less back to square uno.

So I yanked the carb. Third time. My bf thinks that his application of too much oil on the foam filter may have resulted in mucking up the slow jet, although it didn't look dirty when I examined it. So I'm going to put everything back together, as well as something I probably should have done before yanking the gas tank off, emptying it completely, cleaning the screen and filling it with fresh gas and 2 stroke oil.

I'm still wondering if my problem might be recurring due to the PO removing the separate oil tank, forcing me to mix the gas and oil in one container and then pouring it into the gas tank dirt bike style. This isn't really the way the Honda Aero 125 carb was designed, as the oil was introduced via a pump downstream from the carb directly into the intake manifold. Could the oil gas mixture in the carb be causing problems? Do I need bigger jets? Any ideas on these mysterious subjects greatly appreciated.

At least our current Frozen Tundra conditions have lifted so working out in the garage is fun again. And as soon as I get her up and running, I'll get those beauty shots for sure.

Stay tuned...
Old 12-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #99
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,386
I have removed the oil injection from a number of bikes and ran premix with no problems. I don't trust old oil injection systems with rotted hoses etc. If the hoses are bad you don't know what else might be. I run 40:1 in everything. Scooters dirtbikes, mopeds, chainsaws, weed eaters, etc.

I don't see any way oil from the filter could plug up a jet, oil is soluble in gas. You did mention something about using some kind of special air filter oil, but it should also be soluble in gas.

A 2 stroke engine will not need bigger jets from switching from oil injection to premix. There is not enough oil in the gas to make a difference. However, 2 strokes are very finicky about the air/fuel mixture. If it is a little bit too lean as could be caused by a partially plugged jet, they can run hot and seize. I destroyed the top end on an old dirt bike that way. It had been stored for some time, and I did not clean the carb like I should have. It idled fine, but misfired at higher speed. I was hoping fresh gas would clean out the jet. I ran it wide open for about 1/4 mile, and it seized up solid.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #100
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,795
If the oil injection has been removed then yes you will be running a bit lean. Just from the simple fact that you are now displacing some of the fuel with said oil. Chances are you are getting more oil than was originally required as well.

If you can, get the oil injection working again the way the engineers intended. All of that r&d time and money was not invested so some sap who knows better and is worried can remove it and have inferior function from original intention.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #101
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Unfortunately it is probably not possible to repair/replace the oil injection system, as almost no parts are still available for it. If you did mix too much oil in the premix, check the spark plug. It may have become fouled by excess oil.

The stock main jet is a #105, pilot is #40. These are the oem sizes. They are still available new, but I cannot find any other sizes for that carb.

While it is true that oil mixed with the gas displaces some of the gas, it is a tiny amount. Plus, the oil burns too. I have seen 2 strokes run with so much oil that they smoked like crazy and fouled the plug right away, but aside from fouling plugs, and eventually building up carbon in the combustion chamber, exhaust port and muffler, it did not do any other damage. It is actually recommended to run a higher ratio of oil to gas in a new 2 stroke engine for the first tank.

Honda may have designed it a certain way, but they designed it a long time ago, and no longer provide parts for it, so you will have to make do with what you have. I don't know how you measured the premix, I use a measuring bottle, like this one http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/A.../p/37880_00000

I also have no idea what the specs of the oil injection system were. One of the nice things about oil injection systems is that the good ones (Yamaha's Autolube system is the best one I know of) provide more or less oil depending on running conditions. Premix give the same amount under all conditions.

But it can be done. I ran a 1979 Kawasaki KE175 dual sport bike for years on premix. The oil injection was mostly missing when I got it.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #102
gitsum79
Adventurer

I would recommend 50:1 premix for a 49cc two-stroke scooter if ditching the oil pump.

If running a 72cc bbk or larger you may want to go closer to 40:1.

You shouldn't have to rejet the carb on a 49cc scooter. The oil pump is not a super high tech technology. It simply has the ability to use the throttle setting to alter the oil to gas ratio.
This works great for idle or low throttle applications for when the engine doesn't need as much oil. 80:1 or even 100:1 works better and keeps excess oil from gumming up the exhaust pipe and fouling the spark plug at lower engine speeds. At WOT that 49cc oil pump is probably set to (you guessed it) 50:1.

The thing is most of the time you ride a 49cc two smoke using 75 -100% throttle and the CVT keeps the rpms in a narrow range. 50:1 premix for all practical purposes will work just as well as the oil injection system

gitsum79 screwed with this post 12-12-2013 at 01:33 PM
gitsum79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #103
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,795
Remember this is a 125cc bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitsum79 View Post
I would recommend 50:1 premix for a 49cc two-stroke scooter if ditching the oil pump.

If running a 72cc bbk or larger you may want to go closer to 40:1.

You shouldn't have to rejet the carb on a 49cc scooter. The oil pump is not a super high tech technology. It simply has the ability to use the throttle setting to alter the oil to gas ratio.
This works great for idle or low throttle applications for when the engine doesn't as much oil. 80:1 or even 100:1 works better and keeps excess oil from gumming up the exhaust pipe and fouling the spark plug at lower engine speeds. At WOT that 49cc oil pump is probably set to (you guessed it) 50:1.

The thing is most of the time you ride a 49cc two smoke using 75 -100% throttle and the CVT keeps the rpms in a narrow range. 50:1 premix for all practical purposes will work just as well as the oil injection system
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #104
gitsum79
Adventurer

OK then 125cc's. On a two-stroke scooter the principle is the same. 40:1 or maybe 36:1.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #105
JerryH
Vintage Rider

I've run bikes up to 175cc with 40:1. It seems about perfect. A 125cc scooter will likely be run full throttle most of the time. I have two 125 4 strokes, and they get ridden mostly at full throttle. Only way to keep up with traffic in town. I also ride them WOT on the highway (not freeway) They don't keep up with traffic, I'd just rather ride at 55 mph than 40 mph.

There really can't be much wrong with that carb. Other than a lawn mower carb (no float setup), it's about as simple as it gets. Simple round slide, no CV diaphragm or coasting enricher. Almost exactly like the old Bing on my Puch moped.

One thing I would double check, is how the slide, throttle cable, spring, and needle fit together. If I remember correctly, I had an issue with a Tomos moped (also converted from oil injection to premix) not running right, had the carb apart several times, couldn't find anything wrong, and finally discovered I had something assembled wrong after looking at a diagram of it. Can't remember what it was though.