ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
pres589 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Wichita, KS - Motorsports on K-15 for sale?

I've been noticing a Prudential Realtor's sign out in front of Motorsports, the Guzzi/Honda/Kawasaki dealership on K-15. Anyone know what the story is there? It looks like they updated their website. I'd hate to lose the place; I like their service department and the parts department is alright (although they don't have a lot of stuff on the shelf). Noticed less gear & helmets there lately.

Between whatever is going on a MAP and this, I'm starting to wonder what motorcycle shops & support is going to be like in this city.
pres589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Bob just leases the building, owner of building wants to sell. I would guess they will relocate if it sells. Hope so anyway. bete
Old 03-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,521
Just shooting from the hip about the Wichita MC business:

MAP was bought by the Blasi tire family, but they have ties to Rusty Eck's clan too. I have a friend knows pretty much all the players in doodah, he told me over dinner last week the new owners of MAP will deal on prices (something Ross wouldn't do) and they hope to have one of every bike/atv Honda makes, in every color, on the floor this year. Honda has an interesting improvement here and there in their line up.
Bob at Motorsports is for me, hard to read. One day you're his best friend when you walk in, the next time, doesn't even recognize you. BUT, having said that as my experience, he's a small business owner, and should enjoy the freedom to run the shop anyway he wants, that much is certain.
As far as the property, it took the owner 25 years to just patch the huge holes in the parking lot. And there is ALOT of commercial properties languishing in this town. Bob would have his pick of dozens of good locations, hell, he could take the failed Carney boy's property across from Lowe's, it's been vacant for a couple years. When he shared the 31st st. corner with Hugo's HD and Bob Ladd's Yamaha shop, it made sense to be there, but he's in a backwater corner of town now.
The recession hit this town so hard, it's still struggling just to keep the lights on around here. A robust turnaround at Cessna/Beech is really needed to bring in those discretionary bucks. They've all been saved only by the ranchers buying atv's for 5 years running.
And BMW wants a ridiculous buy-in for a "boutique" style dealership. Can't sell anything else there. Must have Net worth in excess of $2M & $1/2M up front just for the rights. They will never be back, if they stick with their persistent snottiness... The Oklahoma City shop closed, so it's KCMO every time you need something done...I have one but wouldn't buy another. It's just damn hard to deal with, trucking a bike 400 miles for a service or a recall campaign.

Bake screwed with this post 03-19-2014 at 06:05 PM
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
Red J
C'mon, spring!

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
Just shooting from the hip about the Wichita MC business:

MAP was bought by the Blasi tire family, but they have ties to Rusty Eck's clan too. I have a friend knows pretty much all the players in doodah, he told me over dinner last week the new owners of MAP will deal on prices (something Ross wouldn't do) and they hope to have one of every bike/atv Honda makes, in every color, on the floor this year. Honda has an interesting improvement here and there in their line up.
Bob at Motorsports is for me, hard to read. One day you're his best friend when you walk in, the next time, doesn't even recognize you. BUT, having said that as my experience, he's a small business owner, and should enjoy the freedom to run the shop anyway he wants, that much is certain.
As far as the property, it took the owner 25 years to just patch the huge holes in the parking lot. And there is ALOT of commercial properties languishing in this town. Bob would have his pick of dozens of good locations, hell, he could take the failed Carney boy's property across from Lowe's, it's been vacant for a couple years. When he shared the 31st st. corner with Hugo's HD and Bob Ladd's Yamaha shop, it made sense to be there, but he's in a backwater corner of town now.
The recession hit this town so hard, it's still struggling just to keep the lights on around here. A robust turnaround at Cessna/Beech is really needed to bring in those discretionary bucks. They've all been saved only by the ranchers buying atv's for 5 years running.
And BMW wants a ridiculous buy-in for a "boutique" style dealership. Can't sell anything else there. Must have Net worth in excess of $2M & $1/2M up front just for the rights. They will never be back, if they stick with their persistent snottiness... The Oklahoma City shop closed, so it's KCMO every time you need something done...I have one but wouldn't buy another. It's just damn hard to deal with, trucking a bike 400 miles for a service or a recall campaign.
Amen.

I hear a month ago the Blasi deal fell thru and Ross is not going to pour any more money in.

Any truth to that rumor?
Old 11-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #5
zellersc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
closing

Bob told his employees last week that he was closing down the shop. I believe he's trying to be shut down completely by x-mas.
zellersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
zellersc
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red J View Post
Amen.

I hear a month ago the Blasi deal fell thru and Ross is not going to pour any more money in.

Any truth to that rumor?
I heard the Blasi deal fell through. I haven't heard anything else. Seems like Ross is back running the show for the time being...
Old 11-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by zellersc View Post
Bob told his employees last week that he was closing down the shop. I believe he's trying to be shut down completely by x-mas.
That sucks!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
pearsonm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I'm back for the Holidays and stopped by on the way back from Winfield. They're closing shop. The guy I spoke with - I assume the owner - said he's 10 months away from getting Medicare benefits. I assume that means he's done.

I've never bought into the recession being over. Even so, it seems Wichita was hit especially hard. I hate to see it because after living in St Louis for three years I've discovered Wichita isn't such a bad place to be.
Bikeology: R6-S; Z1000 (sold); F4i #2 (sold); SV650 (sold); CB750F (sold); DR-Z400SM (traded); SV650S (sold); F4i #1 (RIP); R6 (traded); YZF600R (sold); ZR-7S (sold); Bandit 1200 (RIP)
pearsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #9
pres589 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
So what's the next best place to get Honda parts and service in Wichita? I never liked what I saw / heard about service at MAP.
pres589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #10
zellersc
Adventurer

I don't have any recommendations but I believe MAP picked up one of Motorsport's good mechanics. Maybe he can help MAPs reputation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pres589 View Post
So what's the next best place to get Honda parts and service in Wichita? I never liked what I saw / heard about service at MAP.