User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Sun Ray OP
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 967
Running and Motorcycling, anyone?

I like to go long distance running, and I'm starting to get a little tired of the same old places around town. I went running the other day off the motorcycle and I found it was great fun combining motorcycling and running.
So inquiring minds want to know if anyone else does this?
Are any inmates fans of motorcycling to places just to get a run in? How do you pack for it? Are there any problems you've encountered? Have you had good or bad experiences. For example, I worry about theft, although I doubt anyone will steal my 600+ pounds of FJR.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
vaexplorer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Funny you bring this up. When I wanted to get back to running, I drove to the Blue Ridge Parkway, parked at an overlook, and jogged down the Parkway. It was during the week and there was little if any traffic. Funny enough, it seemed spooky and quiet. Then, I started thinking about bears.

Anyway, yes I enjoy riding to run also. I wear an Aerostich, stuff it in the bag while I run, then come back. This is normally a non-summer thing for me.
vaexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Sun Ray OP
Polyglottic Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaexplorer View Post
Funny you bring this up. When I wanted to get back to running, I drove to the Blue Ridge Parkway, parked at an overlook, and jogged down the Parkway. It was during the week and there was little if any traffic. Funny enough, it seemed spooky and quiet. Then, I started thinking about bears.

Anyway, yes I enjoy riding to run also. I wear an Aerostich, stuff it in the bag while I run, then come back. This is normally a non-summer thing for me.
An Aerostich! Of course, a great solution. Thanks, I'd forgotten about my lust for one of those suits.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Going somewhere for the run would be fine. The return trip, less so. Speaking for myself, after a long run I'm in less than spiffy condition for riding a motorcycle. So no, I use a cage when I travel for a long run.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Gelandevans
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Yes
It is the post run that gets interesting, sweaty gear, fogged up helmet...
def gotta give yourself time to cool down.
Gelandevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
wildknits
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I have commuted to a few shorter races and runs (5K - 10K) on my bike. Because I was meeting up with friends I left my gear in their vehicles. Recently installed Krauser bags on my R65 so it should be a bit easier to store my gear if on my own. The only issue will be securing my helmet. Unfortunately we have had a rash of break-ins at some trailheads in the area so makes me cautious leaving stuff out.

Also have Aerostich gear so feel a bit safer commuting in shorts, depending on the route.

I haven't ridden to any ultras yet. Figure I will be a bit too tired afterwards to ride safely.
wildknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Going somewhere for the run would be fine. The return trip, less so. Speaking for myself, after a long run I'm in less than spiffy condition for riding a motorcycle. So no, I use a cage when I travel for a long run.
I'm the same way with riding/racing bicycles. While the trip there would be all right, the trip home would be iffy.

M
Old 11-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
flatland964
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
I have been doing that occasionally last couple of summers. I'd ride to different forest preserves (of course, "forest" is a flexible concept here in Illinois) to run. I can stuff my riding clothes in the Jesse bags. I'd bring a towel to wipe the sweat of my head (not much hair anyway), a helmet liner and a dry shirt to change into.

It's a great way to add more enjoyment to running. I'd tell people I was doing a new type of biathlon (motorcycling and running).

On the other hand, my runs are 4-5 miles, not "long distance", so I am not exactly worn out when I am done.
2001 BMW R1150GS
flatland964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
This last summer I was using my GS to get me to the base of the 14ers in Colo the night before, jog/hustle up the 14er as early as possible and ride home. But this did make for some long and painful rides home.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,822
I used to ride my bike to 10Ks and things like that. I also used to do the same things then go hiking. I'd lock up my stuff on the bike and off I'd go. It was fun.l

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
engineman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
My wife dropped her Bonneville at a stoplight coming home from a 5k. Het legs were tired and she let it tip too far and couldn't pyll it back up.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
engineman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
Sun Ray OP
Polyglottic Moran

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
My wife dropped her Bonneville at a stoplight coming home from a 5k. Het legs were tired and she let it tip too far and couldn't pyll it back up.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
Ah, bummer. I hope she was ok and that the bike was too damaged. I won't take bike to races, I might drop it. Thanks for that tip.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
Sun Ray OP
Polyglottic Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatland964 View Post
I have been doing that occasionally last couple of summers. I'd ride to different forest preserves (of course, "forest" is a flexible concept here in Illinois) to run. I can stuff my riding clothes in the Jesse bags. I'd bring a towel to wipe the sweat of my head (not much hair anyway), a helmet liner and a dry shirt to change into.

It's a great way to add more enjoyment to running. I'd tell people I was doing a new type of biathlon (motorcycling and running).

On the other hand, my runs are 4-5 miles, not "long distance", so I am not exactly worn out when I am done.
Yeah, that's a great idea! I think I will bring a small towel next time. My head was sweaty, speaking of which, it's time to clean the helmet.

Now we have to incorporate target shooting with the running and the motorcycling. The cops might frown upon that.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,728
ran up until knee surgeries a few years back, minor meniscus tears on both knees were fixed but doc says about 10% arthiritic so am semi retired from running. mebbe if I lose the 30lbs i've put on since then.

Anyway, i packed a minimum amount for the usual 4 mile run around town lake here, carried the license and m/c key, maybe a walkman. locked the rest in the bike including the helmet. town lake allows a lot of various routes depending pn which route and length

never wore much more than shorts and a T unless it was in the 40s, then maybe a sweatshirt also locked up before starting.

I change up to make it fresh, ran the other direction every other time out. Used to run often at camp mabry in town here, an open post until 9/11. Used to be hundreds from the hood out there every night; the track is deserted now.

Best thing about it was getting back on the bike after working up a froth, that and a quart of beer would make everything right again.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,131
My wife carries a cable lock to secure all her gear. She will put the helmet on the mirror (gloves inside to save the liner), then run the cable through an arm of her jacket, leg of her riding pants, the helmet chin bar, and the frame of the bike.

I agree with the others, though, about being cautious of fatigue.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote