ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
Mike M OP
On the Border

Oddometer: 1,466
Traffic around Teton NP and Yellowstone NP on August Weekdays

I'm taking a quick trip up to Jackson Hole for some meetings in the next couple of days (August 18-19) and am renting an RT for a couple of day rides. I'll be riding Monday and Tuesday after meetings around 1 pm and returning in the early evening each day. Planning to head north through Teton NP and into Yellowstone through the south entrance--probably up to Old Faithful one day and along Yellowstone Lake to Fishing bridge the other day.

My question: How's Monday and Tuesday traffic along that route? Am I better off heading somewhere else to get in a couple good 250 mile day-rides? My first time to Tetons and Yellowstone was 6 years ago, I'd like to see it again----but if traffic is going to be slammed, I'd head somewhere else.

Mike M screwed with this post 08-16-2014 at 02:49 PM
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
hughesatron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I'm taking a quick trip up to Jackson Hole for some meetings in the next couple of days (August 18-19) and am renting an RT for a couple of day rides. I'll be riding Monday and Tuesday after meetings around 1 pm and returning in the early evening each day. Planning to head north through Teton NP and into Yellowstone through the south entrance--probably up to Old Faithful one day and along Yellowstone Lake to Fishing bridge the other day.

My question: How's Monday and Tuesday traffic along that route? Am I better off heading somewhere else to get in a couple good 250 mile day-rides? My first time to Tetons and Yellowstone was 6 years ago, I'd like to see it again----but if traffic is going to be slammed, I'd head somewhere else.
I went through the tetons and yellowstone a month ago. We drove through on a Thursday and Friday and there was lots of traffic starting from mid-morning until dusk.
hughesatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,867
Going from memory of the many times I have driven through it's been slow but not impossible, but that is just through the city of Jackson proper. I short cut through there on my trips from Idaho and Wisconsin, it is one of the most beautiful drives ever, 'stunning' and 'epic' come to mind...

Drivers out west seem to have better lane manners and almost always there is a passing or slow lane available depending on what your are driving.
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,043
if you decide not to do Yellowstone - the west side of the Tetons offers some good scenery and riding as well.

From Jackson, west over Teton Pass to Victor, north to Driggs and north on to West Yellowstone

North of Driggs on 33, stay north on 32 to Ashton... hwy 47 (Mesa Falls Scenic Byway)

north of Driggs - great views if you can do without the Snake River shot

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,073
Stay away from Yellowstone that time of year. From Jackson (not Hole) go SW down the Snake to Alpine, up through Swan Valley up to 31 and back down the pass to Jackson. Great day trip.

Next day go up to the Park boundary and over to Dubois.

If you go into Teton, stop at Teton Lodge for a great view.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
vcvarmitcong
Cheekrashsucks

Oddometer: 43
Two days in early July, the traffic was the worst of a 30 day excursion. There are simply a lot of people there...going places. You can cut the traffic by more than half when you travel at the edges of the day. Hotel rooms...wooo!
Old 08-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #7
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
From Jackson (not Hole) go SW down the Snake to Alpine, up through Swan Valley up to 31 and back down the pass to Jackson. Great day trip.

another scenic ride south of Jackson is south as though you're headed to Alpine, turn left (east) on 191 and go along the Hoback River - out to Pinedale for lunch, and back.
Great views of the Wind River range.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote