ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2005, 06:51 AM   #16
CascadeThumper
Critical Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
Possible consideration for an addition to the gentry family:

Sprint ST
Let's see....Gentry family additions.....then he starts talking about triplets (oh, excuse me...triples) then twins....and in another post something about Xclusters. What do ya bet, he'll soon be wanting a Ural GearUp...plenty o' room for the younguns, a rack for diapers and a green jug for formula. Perfect !!
CascadeThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:08 AM   #17
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,133
Thats what I need so I can get out with you guys more often.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:52 AM   #18
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyboy
This one gets my vote. A little more money, and not British, but...

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/my2005/d...delName=ST3-05
Over Priced and expensive to fix.

Go with the Triumph. If I can't get ES to come down on the 955I - I will most likely go the ST route.

ENjoy

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:54 AM   #19
dirtyboy
Adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Whats the MSRP on those?

Im interested in a "Sport Tourer" mostly because I am tall and I want mileage and comfort. The wife wants one she can be comfy on the back of.

We've got our DRZ's but they are for short range and dirty play-time
I think the MSRP on the ST3 is $11,995. Not sure I agree with Luca's statement about fit. I'm 6'4" and fit the STs fine. But would Erin be happy on the either the Sprint or ST3? You guys will have to take 'em for a test ride. You know the Multistrada is really versatile, you guys should try one of those too. Tamara sat on one and she liked the pillion position better on the MS than the STs and GS, but she's 5'5".

For sport-touring, my K1200RS is hard to beat especially for larger guys, and they can be had for less than a new Triumph, Ducati, etc if you're comfortable owning an out of warranty bike. The FJR1300 should also be considered, James can offer plenty of input on that bike. If you're focused on two-up ability, you might want to shift focus towards the larger bikes (K1200RS, FJR1300) since both you and Erin aren't exactly "petite".

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Triumphs, a Speed Triple was my first "real" street bike. But it was just too small for me and not versatile enough. I really love the sound of the triple motor.
dirtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:04 AM   #20
dirtyboy
Adrenaline junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh23
Over Priced and expensive to fix.

Go with the Triumph. If I can't get ES to come down on the 955I - I will most likely go the ST route.

ENjoy
Price and cost of ownership is certainly one part of the equation.

How much you enjoy riding the bike is another.

Which is more important is up to each of us to decide on our own.

Stosh,
When is the last time you rode or owned a Ducati? Don't knock it til you've tried it. You do own a BMW, don't you? I'm not sure how you can knock the Duc when the GS is less reliable (I have and currently own both a BMW and a Ducati) and equally expensive to "fix". Normally scheduled maintenance on both will likely run higher than a Triumph or Yamaha, but I haven't checked recently. I'm more focused on the riding experience since it's my precious free time and want to have maximum enjoyment when I'm out there.

Just more stuff for consideration...
Old 08-26-2005, 08:37 AM   #21
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert

Quote:
Price and cost of ownership is certainly one part of the equation.

How much you enjoy riding the bike is another.

Which is more important is up to each of us to decide on our own.

Stosh,
When is the last time you rode or owned a Ducati? Don't knock it til you've tried it. You do own a BMW, don't you? I'm not sure how you can knock the Duc when the GS is less reliable (I have and currently own both a BMW and a Ducati) and equally expensive to "fix". Normally scheduled maintenance on both will likely run higher than a Triumph or Yamaha, but I haven't checked recently. I'm more focused on the riding experience since it's my precious free time and want to have maximum enjoyment when I'm out there.

Just more stuff for consideration...
2001 is the last time I rode one and I had a Monster 750 - So I think I have earned the right to give my opinion. The GS is a whole different reason to have then the bike you suggested. Apple's and Orange's

The GS is going on the shelf - I am going with the Triumph and a thumper.

Thanks for asking.

ENjoy

06 ST1300

Stosh23 screwed with this post 08-26-2005 at 08:52 AM
Old 08-26-2005, 08:44 AM   #22
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert

Quote:
I think the MSRP on the ST3 is $11,995. Not sure I agree with Luca's statement about fit. I'm 6'4" and fit the STs fine. But would Erin be happy on the either the Sprint or ST3? You guys will have to take 'em for a test ride. You know the Multistrada is really versatile, you guys should try one of those too. Tamara sat on one and she liked the pillion position better on the MS than the STs and GS, but she's 5'5".

For sport-touring, my K1200RS is hard to beat especially for larger guys, and they can be had for less than a new Triumph, Ducati, etc if you're comfortable owning an out of warranty bike. The FJR1300 should also be considered, James can offer plenty of input on that bike. If you're focused on two-up ability, you might want to shift focus towards the larger bikes (K1200RS, FJR1300) since both you and Erin aren't exactly "petite".

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Triumphs, a Speed Triple was my first "real" street bike. But it was just too small for me and not versatile enough. I really love the sound of the triple motor.
'05 MSRP is $17995

06 ST1300
Old 08-26-2005, 09:01 AM   #23
dirtyboy
Adrenaline junkie

Quote:
'05 MSRP is $17995
$17,995 for what?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:16 AM   #24
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert

Quote:
$17,995 for what?
OOOPPPPSSSSS -

$11,995 for '05 ST3

06 ST1300
Old 08-26-2005, 09:22 AM   #25
dirtyboy
Adrenaline junkie

Quote:

NOW YOU'RE TALKIN' !!
Old 08-26-2005, 09:30 AM   #26
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert

Quote:
NOW YOU'RE TALKIN' !!
Yeah - I am just too aggressive on the dirt for the GS. And as stated - WAY too expensive to hammer the trails with the beast.

ENjoy

06 ST1300
Old 08-26-2005, 09:35 AM   #27
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:

We both like the Triumph, If i went the beemer route again it would be the new RT but that is too much $$ for me to feel happy about right now.... it might be a possibility though.
Ive had beemers and always wanted a Triumph.
I dont like the handling of the FJR1300 although they are a wicked bike. The screen is not friendly to guys my height either, even though it adjusts. They are also a good 4k over the cost of an ST.

I dont like Ducati's a whole lot for this type of riding. I like their street-machines though. My other option is a Tiger but this bike would be my "sport" bike as well. It would be a new bike purchase. I dont have time for the "unkowns" of a used bike at the moment. been there, done that. Might do it again, but not right now.

I think we will test ride one together soon. She is busily enamoured with her DRZ400SM right now..... I now have a competitor for attention!

Then again, Erin's interested in adventure touring together on the thumpers so we may end up doing them up for a south america run or something in the future.

Time to test ride I think.....

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:52 AM   #28
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:
What? geting rid of the GS, WTF
Old 08-26-2005, 10:07 AM   #29
dirtyboy
Adrenaline junkie

Quote:

Time to test ride I think.....
Absolutely, talk is cheap, but the proof's in the puddin'! Or something like that....

Ooh, just one more thought...the KTM 9fiddy should at least be on your list for a test ride. Sportbike street-ability (actually more fun in the twisties and rough roads), roominess for two above average size folks, plenty of luggage capability, and dirt-worthy. But still a few thou more than the Triumph...
Old 08-26-2005, 10:20 AM   #30
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Absolutely, talk is cheap, but the proof's in the puddin'! Or something like that....

Ooh, just one more thought...the KTM 9fiddy should at least be on your list for a test ride. Sportbike street-ability (actually more fun in the twisties and rough roads), roominess for two above average size folks, plenty of luggage capability, and dirt-worthy. But still a few thou more than the Triumph...

Nah, I dont want a trailie with an ironing board seat. DRZ fills that role.
Sport-touring is the ticket! If only they would update the VFR! The 1300 Honda is just a little too gold-wingish for my taste.

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote