2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:28 AM   #32
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
I suspect its a aerodynamic issue, especially an issue with the winds affect on the rider, who makes unconcious steering inputs. Tensing your arms in the wind may be the problem.
Weight is a small factor. Inherent stability of a bike is dependent on a lot of factors. Aerodynamics, rake and trail, height, side loading, etc.

BUT, in my experience, the rider can make a huge difference. Don't stiff-arm the handlebars. let the bike move a little and keep it loose. As also noted, direction of the wind matters, but poking a knee out in the direction the wind is coming from can be very effective.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #33
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,752
There are only a few things that dictate the effect of wind on a moto according to the wise sages.

1. Whether you are running a car tire or not? (Dark Siding)
2. What type of oil you use?
3. If you are not ATGATT you WILL die.
4. How many fingers you use on the front brake.

Happy to Help!
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #34
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray0of0Sun View Post
All factors are to be considered. Sure Aerodynamics is one, but weight is another, just as important, and of course the rider's skill. I've never had trouble with wind on my Hayabusa or my FJR, on my Triumph Thunderbird, and my Rocket III. But my Monster, my Hurricane, Silverwing, 749 and my Shadow all were terrible in windy situations, because chiefly they were light and also some were not very aerodynamic. I live in NM, where it is terribly windy 3-4 months out of the year, so I know a thing or two about riding in windy conditions. Pick your ride on a very windy day, FJR1300, or Ninja 250? And then tell me weight isn't a main issue? What a load! Aerodynamic and weight are equally important. And it is misleading to compare racing bikes to street bikes, because that is a completely different application. Apples and oranges.
Did you read the other posts?

Plenty of people have given examples of bikes that are light and no issues in windy conditions. Weight is just ONE factor, certainly not the only.

IMHO the way a bike is ridden is at least as much a factor. The way it cuts the wind, aerodynamics and side loading (height) all play important roles.

Example. My lightweight sports car has zero issues with wind, but my much heavier SUV is all over the place.

Jim
Old 11-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #35
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
I've read all the posts. You're comparing apples and oranges, your SUV, should be compare to another SUV, not a porsche. Compare like for like, I'm not going to compare a Hayabusa to a fully dressed Harley, but I'll take the Hayabusa over a gsxr 750. I'm sure that my Ridgeline handles far worse in the wind than a Hummer. So, people are saying that weight is not an issue, when in fact it is one of the main ones. Have you read the posts?
First of all your contribution made me

SUV / Porsche
FJR1300 / Ninja 250

One is heavy one is not, one is small one is big, one moves slower than the other, one moves faster. etc..etc..apples to oranges you say?

Privilege us with more of your knowledge?
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #36
Reduxalicious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
I've read all the posts. You're comparing apples and oranges, your SUV, should be compare to another SUV, not a porsche. Compare like for like, I'm not going to compare a Hayabusa to a fully dressed Harley, but I'll take the Hayabusa over a gsxr 750. I'm sure that my Ridgeline handles far worse in the wind than a Hummer. So, people are saying that weight is not an issue, when in fact it is one of the main ones. Have you read the posts?

That being said--my 08 Streetbob gets buffeted around way more then my 1200S, but only slightly more then my KZ1000, The 1200S weighs less then both of these bikes and the KZ is damn near 600 Pounds and the FXDB is 667--If that's the MAIN issue... then I think the laws of physics don't apply to me, I think it's more of a Aerodynamic issue then a Weight issue, as pointed out many times all ready.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #37
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduxalicious View Post

That being said--my 08 Streetbob gets buffeted around way more then my 1200S, but only slightly more then my KZ1000, The 1200S weighs less then both of these bikes and the KZ is damn near 600 Pounds and the FXDB is 667--If that's the MAIN issue... then I think the laws of physics don't apply to me, I think it's more of a Aerodynamic issue then a Weight issue, as pointed out many times all ready.
No doubt aerodynamics plays a part.

But weight is a big or bigger a factor, unless your riding you bike down the road under sail power.

My RZ350 is almost impossible to keep between the lanes on the same day that my Ultra, weighing 3 times as much yet also presenting a much bigger profile, is a rock.

You don't believe weight plays a part.
I'm gonna make this real simple for you.
Lay a piece of paper in your driveway next to the hard cover book you tear it out of. Single piece of paper, much lighter and less profile than the book.
Which one do you think you're going to have to chase?

How the hell can a thinking human being not believe weight plays a part?
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #38
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
RAYO . You keep thinking of aerodynamics from a frontal standpoint. Everybody is talking about crosswinds here. Pay attention. Your Haybus was only aerodynamic from the front.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #39
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
RAYO . You keep thinking of aerodynamics from a frontal standpoint. Everybody is talking about crosswinds here. Pay attention. Your Haybus was only aerodynamic from the front.
lol
So you believe two bikes with the same profile (side and front), one let's say 100 pounds heavier than the other, on a windy day, will both handle the same?

Try to follow the bouncing ball here junior.
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #40
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
I never said WEIGHT was the main issue. I said it was one of the main issues as in COMBINATION of things to consider, yes of course aerodynamics plays a BIG part in it but so does WEIGHT, amongst other things and depending on the application. I think we can all agree on that, but don't simply dismiss weight.
Quote:
All factors are to be considered. Sure Aerodynamics is one, but weight is another, just as important, and of course the rider's skill. I've never had trouble with wind on my Hayabusa or my FJR, on my Triumph Thunderbird, and my Rocket III. But my Monster, my Hurricane, Silverwing, 749 and my Shadow all were terrible in windy situations, because chiefly they were light and also some were not very aerodynamic. I live in NM, where it is terribly windy 3-4 months out of the year, so I know a thing or two about riding in windy conditions. Pick your ride on a very windy day, FJR1300, or Ninja 250? And then tell me weight isn't a main issue? What a load! Aerodynamic and weight are equally important. And it is misleading to compare racing bikes to street bikes, because that is a completely different application. Apples and oranges.
You can't have it both ways!

Jim
Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #41
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
lol
So you believe two bikes with the same profile (side and front), one let's say 100 pounds heavier than the other, on a windy day, will both handle the same?

Try to follow the bouncing ball here junior.
No , Windbag , I don't , but aerodynamics has MORE to do with it than weight. MOST of us here won't live long enough to be able to explain it until you understand.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #42
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You can't have it both ways!

Jim
I guess it's always his way. He wins no matter what.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #43
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
"A main issue," entails others, as opposed to "the main issue." A main issue is also aerodynamics. Does "a main issue," exclude all others issues? Obviously not, there can be two main issues, or three or ten. See the difference? A main issue vs. the main issue. I didn't stipulate it was "the main issue." Eg. There are two main issues with the database, sir.

Just admit you might be wrong FFS, act like a man instead of all this nonsense.

Jim

PS Or are you just a troll?
Old 11-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #44
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Provide a good argument, FFS.
WE did, many of us, but you just keep on spouting the same old line. You bring nothing but the same tired line of wrong, despite many people refuting your BS with real world experience.

THAT makes you a troll, or an idiot, you choose!

Jim
Old 11-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #45
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ah, alas, the erroneous personal attack.
Personal attack or personal compliment?